PS4 Online Lag

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Tuffty 13 Oct 2017 11:35:47 3,991 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wasn't sure if this was the best place to put this kins of topic, but I'm at a bit of a loss here. Over the past few months now, across multiple PS4 games the online lag has been completely ridiculous. I see it crop up in different ways in different games. Overwatch for example is generally fine, laggy in some spots but for some reason, when I die and look at the other players it's like they're moving in stop motion, sometimes it won't even let me respawn back or kick me out of the match. Whereas something like Titanfall 2 or PES 2018 is literally unplayable as I'm dropped out of games. It didn't use to be this bad though.

I have Sky Fibre and when testing the connection on PS4, I have NAT Type 2, with 16Mbps down but the issues are still happening. No issues playing YouTube bids or Netflix, even downloading games off the PS Store is as quick as you would expect. Yes I've even turned the router on and off. Hooking the PS4 to the router isn't an option as it's in the hall and I have the PS4 up in my room. II really don't know what else I could do. Anyone out there more technically savvy than me have any suggestions?

Edited by Tuffty at 11:37:34 13-10-2017
  • Spectral 13 Oct 2017 11:45:48 5,641 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    While you say its not an option it would be useful if you could temporarily manage a wired connection to see if it is the connection itself or the wifi. You could also try changing the wireless channel in the router settings to see if that helps. If wired works properly you could switch to some powerline adapters to send the connection through plug sockets. A bit of a long shot but you could also try changing the DNS settings to opendns or google DNS to see if that helps. Thats something you'd change in the PS4 settings when configuring the connection.

Also make sure other wireless devices aren't too close to the router or PS4. You could also contact Sky and have them test the line. It could be a fault elsewhere, or a faulty router. Of course it could all just be PSN being a bit shit too.

Edited by Spectral at 11:57:37 13-10-2017
  • RelaxedMikki 13 Oct 2017 11:50:13 2,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could try that where you plug the network cable into your power supply and avoid wi-fi like that (seriously, it is a thing...)

A friend set that up for me once. Can't say I noticed a great deal of difference though. PSN is still pretty laggy for me even when directly connecting to the router, and we are on Virgin's fastest package.
  • CompetitiveDad 13 Oct 2017 12:37:38 7,219 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tuffty what about home plugs? I try to avoid wireless at all costs with PSN. It's flaky at the best of times.
  • CompetitiveDad 13 Oct 2017 12:39:19 7,219 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm on Virgin, first thing I did was put the router into modem mode and bought my own router (Asus), range wirelessly is much greater too.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.