Gaming and Alcohol Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • KD 12 Oct 2017 19:15:24 1,760 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I cant drink and play games, my eye problem comes out in full force and I get migraines within a hour.

I tend to smoke when playing games, especially new games.
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 19:33:07 29,449 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I'm drinking right now and we'll up for some dragons dogma later tonight! Fuck the consequences!
  • Addy_B 12 Oct 2017 19:36:18 1,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I don't touch Alcohol but used to play worms multi player with mates many years ago....whilst stoned. That was a good crack. We also used to have MP on DS Mariokart.
  • Fake_Blood 12 Oct 2017 19:53:04 7,844 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did my best time ever in Forza 2 on the nurnburgring while high on weed.
    Not totally smashed just kind of zoned out and thinking about other stuff whilst racing.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Oct 2017 20:09:13 545 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    :( no cos I am a boring bastard that takes games too seriously
  • Addy_B 12 Oct 2017 20:41:45 1,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    :( no cos I am a boring bastard that takes games too seriously
    This isn't a goodform sock account is it?
  • GuybrushThreepwood 12 Oct 2017 21:17:11 1,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @THFourteen That was my rule of thumb for WoW raiding. The problem was that there comes an inevitable point in the WoW raid cycle where you should have everything on farm and are just waiting for the next patch. Except everybody's so bored of all of the raid content that they get blindingly drunk every raid so you end up fucking up bosses that should be easy.

Quitting WoW was great for my liver.
    Change wow for lord of the rings online and this was me. Bottle of wine per raid. By the end of the raid I was hopeless and giggling that a naughty school kid.
  • KD 12 Oct 2017 21:26:35 1,760 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Now you mention raiding, in WoW as a group of 6 local mates on skype in a molten core raid with a mix of guilds back in the day, rest of my group was either stoned or drunk and my mate the healer was ranting about a rogue and stopped healing any dps, custom emotes of very bad jokes and general fucking about all around.

Turned the whole raid against the leader for being a misrable bugger, great times.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Oct 2017 21:35:23 11,191 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Generally, alcohol impairs my ability, and the trickier/more delicate a game is to play, the greater the effect. I was stunned what a huge difference a single pint made in Dirt Rally.

There's one exception though, Counter-Strike deathmatch, at which I'm often better drunk than sober. I have a feeling that there's a small "delay" caused by my higher brain functions that is shortcut when I'm drunk, resulting in more immediate, unfiltered, instinctive reactions. Another advantage may be that a reckless kamikaze playstyle is unexpected by many CS players and can thus give you a little surprise bonus.

One thing that must be mentioned is that deathmatch is a type of game that involves very little risk. All that counts is getting as many frags as possible in a given time frame, how often you die is ultimately meaningless, so it's probably drunk-playable by nature. "Regular" CS is a completely different matter, that doesn't go well when drunk in my experience.
  • Vortex808 12 Oct 2017 21:48:24 11,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Personally, i like a few beers when playing games, but try not to take things too seriously. My ageing reactions mean i try not to care about k/d these days.

Gears'n beers on a friday for co-op, horde or some mp with various EG folk were great fun for a few years. Albeit some co-op sessions  got a bit tough on insane after a few too many making focusing a bit difficult. :)
  • FuzzyDucky 12 Oct 2017 22:48:40 2,581 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Myself and one of the lads like to take turns on "Pissed as a Pair of Cunts Rally"... Aka Dirt Rally. Usually wrecked before the end of a stage :)

I did "Beat Zico" with a bottle of wine in me gullet.

Few glasses of red and a twin stick shooter - good stuff.
  • Bichii 12 Oct 2017 23:05:08 171 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I'm better slightly drunk. Like a good drink whilst playing. Would love a smoke but shouldn't really.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Oct 2017 23:07:33 1,940 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Drunken Icewind Dale co-op is fun.

"My summoned hippopotamus is on fire."

"That's not a hippopotamus. It's... erm... a polar bear, I think."

"Bollocks, I looked at the spell icon and it's a hippopotamus."

"No, really, it's a polar bear."

"Whatever it is, it's on fire."

"That's not good."

"No, I feel fucking betrayed. Not only is my hippopotamus a polar bear, but it's on fire."

"You should write to the Guardian's agony aunt."

"Dear Marina, my hippopotamus is on fire. Also, it might be a polar bear."
  • Addy_B 12 Oct 2017 23:11:28 1,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Bichii wrote:
    I'm better slightly drunk. Like a good drink whilst playing. Would love a smoke but shouldn't really.
    But don't you play all day once kids are at school? So wouldn't you be inebriated when the kids want picking up etc.

Will someone please think of the children.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 23:14:01 3,396 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    But don't you play all day once kids are at school? So wouldn't you be inebriated when the kids want picking up etc.

'' why does mommy smell of shame and regret and golden hops brewed to perfection? ''
  • Bichii 12 Oct 2017 23:15:27 171 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Addy_B wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

'' why does mommy smell of shame and regret and golden hops brewed to perfection? ''
    Yeah just because i said I like a good drink when gaming doesn't mean I'd drink in the day. I rarely drink in the day because I want to goto bed.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 23:21:23 3,396 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've always found drinking makes me sleepy after a fair amount. Unless you're drinking vodka red Bull...
  • DrStrangelove 12 Oct 2017 23:23:28 11,191 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That reminded me that I actually recorded myself drunk playing in my Dirt Rally days. Kind of supporting the OP's point, I actually did my best ever run on my favourite track after two bottles of beer, getting a #23 world rank at the time. My driving was somewhat aggressive and on the sloppy side, but with some help from my guardian angel (2:43/5:57) it worked--at least that one time.

Another time someone challenged people in the Dirt Rally thread to do a clean run with the Lancia Stratos, which I accepted after one bottle of wine and two bottles of beer. It's a very sloppy and very lucky run, and in fact I think I needed about 30 attempts.

There's a third one I recorded after three bottles of beer, less spectacular (I didn't even win) but I think it showcases both the needless risk-taking and the sloppiness.

• Bichii 12 Oct 2017 23:24:23 171 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @JamboWayOh love vodka red bull but it's reserved for emergencies only. Like last Friday night when I didn't feel like going out. Few of them later I was the life of the party.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 23:31:17 3,396 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Emergencies sounds like a very broad term,
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Oct 2017 23:54:06 1,940 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One quick tip before I go to bed.

Do not ever, ever, ever try VR gaming while drunk.

It is a spectacularly bad idea.

I can confirm this from personal experience.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Oct 2017 23:56:07 5,235 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did you Pollock all over the show?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Oct 2017 23:58:35 1,940 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Let's put it this way. Along with the dose of norovirus I once had, it was one of two times in my life I was really grateful to have a toilet and sink within easy reach of each other.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.