The Evil within 2 Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2017 17:27:38 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Absolutely hated Evil Within, I'm all for games challenging you, but then at the same time there should some reward for that challenge. This game was just pure frustration. A strangely narrow fov when aiming. Piss poor stealth mechanics. A level full of invisible enemies, that while being completely invisible had a one hit kill attack. Oh and let's not forget the erratic difficulty spikes. From the mind of the man who brought us resi 4 and the godlike Vanquish, this game had none of those other games charm or tight gameplay.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 18:01:15 11-10-2017
  • Addy_B 11 Oct 2017 17:55:34 1,135 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Funny isn't it how polarising some views can be. I didn't really get those frustrations but I can certainly see why others would be enraged by them.

I was a more chilled out individual a few years ago though. This time round I could quit the game in disgust if it followed a similar pattern.
  • quadfather 11 Oct 2017 17:58:50 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Absolutely hated Evil Within, I'm all for games challenging you, but then at the same time there should some reward for that challenge. This game was just pure frustration out. A a strangely narrow fov when aiming. Piss poor stealth mechanics. A level full invisible enemies, that while be completely invisible had a one hit kill attack. Oh and let's not the erratic difficulty spikes. From the mind of the man who brought us resi 4 and the godlike Vanquish, this game had none of those other games charm or tight gameplay.
    Put invincibility mode on and it's great!
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2017 18:02:17 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Absolutely hated Evil Within, I'm all for games challenging you, but then at the same time there should some reward for that challenge. This game was just pure frustration out. A a strangely narrow fov when aiming. Piss poor stealth mechanics. A level full invisible enemies, that while be completely invisible had a one hit kill attack. Oh and let's not the erratic difficulty spikes. From the mind of the man who brought us resi 4 and the godlike Vanquish, this game had none of those other games charm or tight gameplay.
    Put invincibility mode on and it's great!
    Ha! That's not a great advertisement for the game is it?

Edited by JamboWayOh at 18:02:34 11-10-2017
  • Addy_B 11 Oct 2017 18:04:22 1,135 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Or just git gud'

;)

Tis a joke.....just incase the winky face didn't clarify that!
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2017 18:06:22 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :-P

I was actually anticipating that comment. The forum always delivers.
  • quadfather 11 Oct 2017 18:08:42 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't care if it's a good advert or not - it made me enjoy it immediately so stick that in your pipe!
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2017 18:16:57 71,645 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can see how, if you weren't digging the game I'm general, the frustrations would get the better of you.

I mean, FFS, the booby traps. I lost count of the amount of times I was wandering down a corridor only to be blown to pieces by a random Claymore. It is pretty brutal.

But when you get used to the fact that you can't really aim, you get into the groove. I fully upgraded the pistol so I could get headshots or hobble them and burn them and the harpoon bolt which sets them on fire.
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2017 18:24:41 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather

Shut it, you slaaaaag!
  • quadfather 11 Oct 2017 18:24:53 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it was mainly so I could actually get through the fucking thing. Still like to play 'properly' if you like, but yeah it's like trying to aim a gun while you're on a trampoline
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2017 18:28:30 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The aiming is abysmal. I'd understand if the player character was an old dodder suffering from parkinsons, but he's supposed to be a bloomin' cop!
  • Furtive_Pygmy 11 Oct 2017 18:33:55 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Absolutely hated Evil Within, I'm all for games challenging you, but then at the same time there should some reward for that challenge. This game was just pure frustration. A strangely narrow fov when aiming. Piss poor stealth mechanics. A level full of invisible enemies, that while being completely invisible had a one hit kill attack. Oh and let's not forget the erratic difficulty spikes. From the mind of the man who brought us resi 4 and the godlike Vanquish, this game had none of those other games charm or tight gameplay.
    That sums it up nicely for me. I could have tolerated the odd moment of frustration but the game is bursting at the seams with controller smashing parts.

With that said I'm still interested in the sequel in the vain hope that Mikami makes a game more up to Resi 4 levels of enjoyment, not gonna happen though is it.
  • Darth_Flibble 11 Oct 2017 18:42:36 2,808 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really wanted to like evil within but a lot of the game was ropey crap. Makes you wonder when it was being developed, didn't the devs understand what makes a good horror game (also the game engine felt creaky)

Hopefully TEW 2 is a lot better, not like there is many true survival horror after the shoota gamer demanded that all play gears or some other 3rd person shooter
  • grassyknoll 11 Oct 2017 18:46:43 619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy That's a different director this time.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 11 Oct 2017 18:49:24 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @grassyknoll

Ah I did not realise that. Hmm, does that mean it will be even worse then?
  • TheHammerite 11 Oct 2017 18:52:39 2,681 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I feel like I should enjoy Evil Within more than I do. It looks like Resident Evil 4 if you squint your eyes, but it's nowhere near as fun. The combat is far too clunky and unsatisfying.
  • Addy_B 11 Oct 2017 19:01:23 1,135 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Lol I'm going to be a lonely soul in here.
  • pacrifice 11 Oct 2017 19:09:02 4,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No you're not.

I'll be playing this too and singing it's praises, Shirley.
  • Cadence 11 Oct 2017 19:17:45 2,052 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any idea what engine it's using now? I remember the original running like a dog on pc.
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2017 19:21:02 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Cadence

Apparently a spinoff of id tech 5. A bit like what Arkane did with their engine for Dishonoured 2.
  • quadfather 11 Oct 2017 19:22:16 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JamboWayOh

Shut it you slaaaag
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2017 19:26:10 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather
    You best wind your neck in sunshine before I do something I might regret, like telling my mom on you!
  • Addy_B 11 Oct 2017 19:28:31 1,135 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    pacrifice wrote:
    No you're not.

I'll be playing this too and singing it's praises, Shirley.
    Well if I think it's dogshit I will certainly enlighten others on this. I'm a sucker for horror games though. I remember silent hill downpour getting a very lukewarm reception (to put it mildly) and I really did love that game as I thought they'd nailed the atmosphere despite how clunky it was.

Same applies here. I can put up with clunkiness and even some questionable difficulty spikes as long as it gives me a decent horror vibe which the first one did.
  • grassyknoll 11 Oct 2017 19:44:54 619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy It's directed by John Johanas, he worked on the DLC and a number of chapters in the first game.
  • Tomo 11 Oct 2017 20:31:28 15,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I will be playing this and loving this game soon too. Got a bit of a backlog and did want to play the DLC from the first one before starting this, but I might just crumble and get it anyway.

First one was utterly brilliant.
  • TitanWarlord93 12 Oct 2017 10:51:48 163 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    The sequel is out tomorrow and I am so tempted to try this out. The first one presentation was on point but everything else feels clunky.

What to do?
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Oct 2017 11:06:54 5,055 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The first game had a demo, which I wish I'd played before buying it.

Any news on the 2nd game following suit and having one?
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 11:30:11 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm really not a fan of Bethesda and their review policy. I have a strong feeling this will be as annoying as the first which I really wanted to like because of Shinji
  • pacrifice 12 Oct 2017 12:00:16 4,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Order despatched, game collection. Pre-order bonus is a pin badge :-)

Should look good along with my 10 blood donations badge.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Oct 2017 12:02:59 2,529 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't forget to show it off to all your friends at scouts.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.