NaNoWriMo 2017 aka write ten pages then give up Page 3

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Salaman 26 Sep 2017 15:57:47 22,868 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh gods. Is SpaceMonkey going to shit up this year's nano thread with vague posts about his various projects and 'money due to him but withheld by those who conspire against him' without actually participating in the NaNo or posting any work?
  • macmurphy 26 Sep 2017 16:02:41 2,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I for one applaud the appearance of user SpaceMonkey and his fetish for ampersands and luck wishing.
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2017 16:07:18 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    The only writing I have done since is a very short story about a guy having an affair with his toaster
    See, now, I want to read that too.
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2017 16:08:27 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    Also be wise to plan the beats of your story out. There are plenty of books on writing let alone podcasts, so go nuts & enjoy.
    To be fair you don't have to for NaNo. Part of why it exists is just to get people writing, letting the story lead them and not necessarily planning anything.
  • rice_sandwich 26 Sep 2017 16:24:04 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I bought a small cheap Chromebook specifically for last year's entry. I commute every day for 90 minutes so it's ideal writing time. It worked ok at the start but then I found Google Docs unacceptably slow when dealing with docs longer than 50 pages even in offline mode on a 4gb machine. It was disappointing.

I recently side loaded Linux for Chromebook and it works great with open office, so I can flip between Linux and chrome OS with the press of a key (well, 4 keys actually). It's an ideal no distraction writing machine.
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2017 16:29:21 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just been using Libre Office the last few years. It's alright.
  • Skirlasvoud 26 Sep 2017 16:51:30 2,988 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Oh gods. Is SpaceMonkey going to shit up this year's nano thread with vague posts about his various projects and 'money due to him but withheld by those who conspire against him' without actually participating in the NaNo or posting any work?
    I second that.

Either put up by posting, or simmer down and let those who actually produce something do the talking about writing.
  • Salaman 26 Sep 2017 16:57:23 22,868 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @SpaceMonkey77 Yes I am.
    I don't do any writing, so I don't post much in the NaNo threads. I d read. So I enjoy seeing what people manage to bang out as the month progresses and offer some feedback from time to time.

You on the other hand seem to bask in the feeling of inclusion with a group of amateur writers and talk about your 'art' in vague terms.
    Sign up for the NaNo and post your writings daily or stick around and red what's posted and offer feedback.

Just don't post endless inane chatter that nobody cares about if you could. It'd be greatly appreciated.
  • rice_sandwich 26 Sep 2017 17:04:31 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm going to call my entry 'Off Season'. I've always had an interest in what holiday destinations are like during the off season non-holiday months. The protagonist has to travel to a remote town on a business trip. The company he works for is not doing well.

He has an accident after arriving and has to extend his stay to recover. A little while later his company goes bankrupt so he's out of a job. He decides to stay on at the inn for a bit and befriends the owners, eventually working odd jobs there.

He meets a variety of people passing through for various reasons. Perhaps he'll hear about interesting stories or mysteries or just stories about life. One idea for a guest is a moderately famous enka singer who was popular during his childhood.

Later on he is offered a job as a food detective, employed by a very wealthy family to seek out the very best in homemade, traditional foods and to try to convince the maker to cook that dish for the family (and also to hear their story and inspiration behind the dish).

Not much to go on but it's a start.
  • Your-Mother 26 Sep 2017 17:04:45 789 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    First post updated. I'll flesh it out later. If people want to give me links to their NaNo profile and/or links to where they'll be hosting their magnum opuses, I'll add them in.
  • macmurphy 26 Sep 2017 17:12:56 2,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I bought a small cheap Chromebook specifically for last year's entry. I commute every day for 90 minutes so it's ideal writing time. It worked ok at the start but then I found Google Docs unacceptably slow when dealing with docs longer than 50 pages even in offline mode on a 4gb machine. It was disappointing.

I recently side loaded Linux for Chromebook and it works great with open office, so I can flip between Linux and chrome OS with the press of a key (well, 4 keys actually). It's an ideal no distraction writing machine.
    I found this. I just chopped my story up into three parts. Works fine.

I only say this because my tiny chrome book has a great battery and makes me very happy otherwise. And I like working in google docs because it's easy to access from everywhere and on my phone.

So yeah, chop it up if you really want to work in google docs.
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2017 17:27:52 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SpaceMonkey77 Not being funny, but what the hell are you going on about.
  • BearFishPie 26 Sep 2017 17:43:28 445 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I might have a non-Nano-compliant bash at continuing last year's effort, which stalled at a paltry 13k.

What with work and life getting their respective shoeings in, I'm not expecting to do any better this year...but a bit more book > no more book
  • Skirlasvoud 26 Sep 2017 17:50:27 2,988 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SpaceMonkey77

If you ask any creator, what are you working on, they aren't naturally going to tell you much, because the element of surprise is all part of creating process, but you guys are writers too & should know that. I'll not be posting anything here, thanks but your enthusiasm is noted.
    And it's this kind of smug, condescending advice that makes us love your contribution here Spacemonkey.

Let's go over the facts:
    The things you've posted earlier on these forums, were so incomprehensibly bad that Neilka and Hunuka are actively goading you into posting more so they can make fun of you.
    You're either too dense or narcissistic to realize this and managed to get it into your head that we're actually interested in a bibliography we assume is non-existent, rather than just proof itself.
    You act like you've got a massive body of other, far better work that gets plagiarized and sells for actual money, but you also quickly come up with all kinds of excuses why you won't be sharing.
    For all we know, you've got nothing and are just bragging to get respect for no show of effort. EVEN WORSE, you're actively acting like hot shit, while STILL not presenting anything.

you guys are writers too
    There's no too. Whether or not WE'RE writers or any good at it, is debatable, but we will at least show SOMETHING that can be read. You can't or won't. Your writer status is unconfirmed and you can get off your high horse with the tiresome platitudes until you actually show SOMETHING that pulls you up to our level of investment in this hobby.

What I consider you to be, is the guy who shows up at a Veteran's rally without actually having been in a war. Until you show us your work, you're just a fraud who is here to live vicariously through the experiences, excitement and creative energy formed by others so you can leech ego off it in a vain attempt to act like you're something you're obviously not.

ALL OF THIS is fine. If you don't want to show anything; that's okay! However, that makes you lose the right to act like you're part of this event or thread. None of this "I'm one of you! Let me tell you about the creative process!" rubbish.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 17:59:25 26-09-2017
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 Sep 2017 17:56:06 11,398 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm getting some ideas. The adventures of Spoz Munky. Spoz is a middle aged man who spends his days absentmindedly walking around a council estate in Slough while dressed in a bath rob. Spoz has an unspecified mental illness which causes him to construct a strange world of fiction in his head. It'll be like a cross between Alice in Wonderland and Trainspotting.
  • Skirlasvoud 26 Sep 2017 18:04:17 2,988 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Decks

If it's as surreal as your other creative work, then I cannot wait to read it. Doesn't have to be your standard work either, or adhere to any established conformity. Just lay it out there.

Ulysses as a novel is damn full of allusions and hard to follow mind-burbs too. Man with a mental illness and his fantastical interpretation of the world sounds like a hoot!
  • rice_sandwich 26 Sep 2017 18:05:50 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @macmurphy

The problem I had at the time was that I was making it up as I went along so it was quite hard to decide where to put things. I should do better this year and now with the sideloaded linux I can edit long documents speedily.
  • macmurphy 26 Sep 2017 18:13:46 2,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @macmurphy

The problem I had at the time was that I was making it up as I went along so it was quite hard to decide where to put things. I should do better this year and now with the sideloaded linux I can edit long documents speedily.
    I know what you mean. I have three parts and then a cut dump and a to do list. Everything that I think I will cut or don't know the place for I stick in the dump. I'll then sometimes drag this back into the narrative.

The to do list is when I've got something that doesn't make sense or needs work but I'm happy pottering away on something else so I just make a quick note in there and that frees up my mind to continue my writing.

It's not a bad system, and it's worked for me. I never really planned, or rather I had an idea in my head of what the book would be then I just wrote.

Skill is in the rewrites and polishing the turd.
  • The12thMonkey 26 Sep 2017 19:00:18 499 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got my thoughts together for intro.

The Last Forecast
    A hydraulic engineer from Hull gets a call he did not expect.
    In a Suffolk village, the assistant curator receives word that her museum will be forced to close.
    A young woman from Hertfordshire is struggling with her rent.
    And a young man, in the cabin of a fishing boat off the Essex coast turns on the radio.

Today is Friday, 26th September, 2025.
    It is 05:58 and the last forecast is about to be read.

Edited by The12thMonkey at 19:00:33 26-09-2017

Edited by The12thMonkey at 19:44:55 26-09-2017
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2017 19:39:57 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SpaceMonkey77 can you take your arguing elsewhere if you don't mind.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 19:40:30 26-09-2017
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2017 19:42:07 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Decks your condition for participating is that you have to illustrate your story :D
  • Addy_B 26 Sep 2017 19:46:18 2,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Post deleted
  • rice_sandwich 27 Sep 2017 07:40:46 3,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll be hosting my 2017 entry at:

https://nanodrivel.blogspot.co.uk/

Nothing to see there yet.
  • Carbon_Altered 29 Sep 2017 22:02:11 870 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's that time of year that I dust off my Eurogamer login and come say hello. After a couple of off years I'm back in if you'll have me.

@Sunjumper, awesome to see you! 2016 was bad for me too - let's make it right this year.

Also, as I haven't been around for a year, where is metal dog?

I've got a few ideas so far, the quick summaries metal dog used to demand below:

Title: Bouyancy
    Teaser: Society has fallen, what will rise?
    Rough idea: Ground level inhospitable due to alien invasion, airship cities

Title: Teapunk
    Teaser: The world would kill for a cup
    Rough idea: Zombies, except tea delays the transformation; a grand adventure ensues

Jeez, those ideas look stupid written down. Hey-ho, and off to nano we go.

Edited by Carbon_Altered at 22:19:27 29-09-2017
  • Carbon_Altered 29 Sep 2017 22:05:54 870 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Off Season sounds really intriguing - I started off with a "The Shining" vibe then you ended up with a food detective!

Could be a series of short stories with a wider mystery interwoven?

Anyway, looking forward to it, even if I am crap at feedback.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.