FIFA 18

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • monkeyspasm 14 Sep 2017 08:36:26 2,946 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No FIFA 18 thread? I guess I'll have to start my first thread in about 10 years then :p

Anyway, the demo came out on Tuesday. As you might expect, it's evolution not revolution, but it plays a great game of footy IMO.

First impressions are very positive. I really liked 17, especially the tackling, so was concerned with reports that dribbling was easier. Tackling is still fine, it's just that players that use AI second man press all the time will have less luck now (I never did anyway). Tackling is much more manual, you have to track the player yourself and time it, just how it should be.

It feels to me that they're refined the engine a bit after last year being the first with Frostbite, players have more weight, and feel more individual. Dribbling is indeed better, a quick change of pace and direction and you can beat players without skill moves - it reminds me of Pro Evo in that regard.

There's a lot more variation in crosses, a few reports online that they may be overpowered, but it felt about right to me.

Another thing I liked is that you can set the trainer to just an arrow showing direction. On 17, a lot of the time it felt like the ball didn't go where I was aiming. I haven't had that problem at all so far on the demo.

It seems crisp and precise. The AI doesn't keep the ball, passing backwards etc any more, it seems more dynamic. What I will say is I only play on Pro and I thought it was easier, so better players than me may find it too easy.

Anyway, I loved it. Co-op Seasons it's where it's at for me, and I can't wait. Day one :)

Edited by monkeyspasm at 08:38:34 14-09-2017
  • TheMilkman 14 Sep 2017 10:21:08 552 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought the demo was a big step up from 17. Much more responsive.

I don't know if I disagree with you about the defending or I am just rubbish at it :). I'm probably just rubbish. I just find it really hard to time a tackle against the ai when it reacts so fast. I think it's just practice that I need though. The system isn't broken or anything. The AI in general is far better to play against this year from the demo.

The atmosphere in the stadiums blows me away. La Bombenera was amazing. Confetti all over the pitch, and whenever the opposing keeper took a goal kick there was tons of whistling and booing. Career mode could be really amazing if that kind of individuality between stadiums is kept up.
  • Negan 14 Sep 2017 10:26:14 134 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    How's the volleys? That's always my biggest complaint about the shooting in Fifa, they always seem so awkward or feeble.
  • THFourteen 14 Sep 2017 10:31:50 45,459 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Everyone in the PES thread is saying the demo sucks this year ;-)
  • monkeyspasm 14 Sep 2017 13:15:16 2,946 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @THFourteen it's the same both ways though. It's really hard to adapt to PES when you're used to FIFA, and vice-versa. I find movement stiffer in PES and the keepers too easy, whereas people in the PES thread are saying the exact opposite. I think people get a bit blinded by the game they play more. Spend time with either and they both shine.

As for people talking about button lag - it's really snappy and responsive this year.

There's room for both games (I bought both last year), but I hugely prefer FIFA, especially online co-op.

Edited by monkeyspasm at 13:17:25 14-09-2017
  • JamboWayOh 14 Sep 2017 13:39:00 1,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I enjoyed the little quality of life improvements in the demo,like the quick subs you can do just as the ball goes out of touch. Also I totally agree about the responsiveness of players receiving the ball. Enjoyed it.
  • barchetta 14 Sep 2017 14:04:37 1,637 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well, that was an experience! First attempt with PC version and I could find my XB1 controller so made do with KB/M.

Tricky and I was all over the place but It occassionally clicked and I saw a glimmer of possibility with this method. Scored the only goal at 90mins as Bayern vs Real.

Not sure I'll be buying but will give it another go when I find my pad.
  • Syrette 14 Sep 2017 14:05:41 48,968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Passing feels great. Low driven shots are OP.

Edited by Syrette at 14:05:51 14-09-2017
  • Negan 14 Sep 2017 14:11:05 134 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    OP is better than the pea rollers in previous games. It was almost pointless attempting them.
  • H1ggyLTD 14 Sep 2017 16:40:47 7,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pre-ordered.
  • neems 14 Sep 2017 18:47:06 3,411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm actually going to wait for the Switch version - or at least until I know if it's any good.
  • Gaol 14 Sep 2017 19:13:35 3,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm waiting to see if the Switch version is any good. I was gonna get it for the convenience of playing it when the TV is in use, but the demo has me considering just going for PS4 as it's pretty good and a lot better than 17 imo.

I couldn't get on with the PES demo at all, I thought I gave it a serious go but it's been years since I played it and I'm lazy.
  • THFourteen 14 Sep 2017 21:41:38 45,459 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Gaol

They are so different now, its nice that everyone has a choice to get the type of football that they like.
  • BTBAM 14 Sep 2017 22:08:24 1,946 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played with the sound on and it was the most immersion breaking experience ever. The commentary and crowd sounds are bad but the commentary especially is diabolical. It's essentially the same as 08. I hate playing against the AI too, the only difference between difficulty levels is whether the defender sprints back when you are attacking or not and whatever the difficulty the AI won't lose the ball. I won the one game I played but it was shit.

I will no doubt buy and play online non stop but I didn't like that demo at all.
  • Tuffty 15 Sep 2017 00:25:48 3,941 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone see the video on how transfers work? Neat idea but I could see it getting old pretty fast, especially if you are buying a few players in on transfer deadline day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRHmKyHoRbA
  • TheMilkman 15 Sep 2017 13:27:12 552 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually bought pes and kind of regret it. It's decent but things happen in that game that just shouldn't happen. Beat some guy 4-1 online before just by spamming over the top through ball like it was FIFA 11. Myclub is still poor too. 3v3 is tremendous though.

I'm crap at it but I'm already going back to the FIFA demo. It feels really good on the ball. If I can get the hang of the defending I think I'll love it. Massive improvement from last year imo.
  • bobmar360 15 Sep 2017 21:10:05 1,077 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TheMilkman hi dad
  • FIFAfan 16 Sep 2017 11:37:55 152 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Haven't followed this at all, (purposely) didn't read EA's new feature notes at the top of the demo, and initial impressions are I don't notice many significant gameplay differences to 17 tbh.

Not necessarily a criticism, to be clear. But I think so long as I'm finding online opponents on 17, I won't bother switching..
  • Daeltaja 18 Sep 2017 22:00:34 1,576 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, just tried the demo and it's a hot mess. Controlling players feels really loose and floaty and it's as if their kicking a burst football around. Coming from PES18 demo, this feels leagues behind in the gameplay department. I saw quite a few comical incidents with animations and player collisions. Graphics are pretty hideous too.
  • Syrette 18 Sep 2017 22:34:51 48,968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Daeltaja

Would you clsss yourself as a PES player?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Sep 2017 22:38:58 9,867 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I alternate between the two and I thought it was pretty awful. There's something weird about it.
  • solidsneek 19 Sep 2017 09:24:27 348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I really like the demo to be fair. Nothing ground breaking compared to 17 but still brilliant.

I would love if the transfers were better though they are a little unrealistic at times.

Must buy for me!
  • y2rich 19 Sep 2017 09:34:25 3,052 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tried the PC demo the other night and it felt a lot better to play than the PS4 one. More responsive, graphics less blurry and the ball didn't feel quite as floaty. Would probably pick it up if they weren't asking 50+ for it
  • imamazed 19 Sep 2017 10:51:28 6,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got round to playing this last night. I enjoyed it mostly, but three things bother me:

The players seem exceptionally slow - especially when running on to balls.

A disproportionate number of goal attempts seems to hit the underside of the bar.

Players backheel pass far too often.

All in all, would agree that it's just a bit odd.
  • Phil616 19 Sep 2017 12:29:21 20 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Got round to playing this last night. I enjoyed it mostly, but three things bother me:

A disproportionate number of goal attempts seems to hit the underside of the bar.

Do you hold LT/L2 when passing? That could explain the backheels.
  • Phil616 19 Sep 2017 12:29:21 20 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    imamazed wrote:

Do you hold LT/L2 when passing? That could explain the backheels.
  • binky Moderator 19 Sep 2017 13:06:42 10,779 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah that's the only reason players would do a fancy pass.
  • imamazed 19 Sep 2017 13:39:18 6,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, it's not the LT/L2 pass but, it's just a normal X/A pass. However, in fairness, these have normally been when the receiving player is behind the passer, but it just seems odd that virtually every time the result has been a backheel instead of a slight swivel and pass.
  • TurkeyNeck 19 Sep 2017 13:51:00 99 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @imamazed

I don't think I've ever seen a player on Fifa do a decent swivel pass. Even if I try a shot slightly on the turn my player falls on his arse and the ball either ends up in rowZ or pea rolls out for a throw in.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.