iPhone X and other stories Page 37

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• nudistpete 8 Nov 2017 11:46:05 174 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    No issues with wireless charging on a cheapo £15 QI charger.
    That's not cheap! You can get them for £1.57 on AliExpress. Can't guarantee their effectiveness with iphone (android masterrace), but I've got a few of them dotted around the place and they're awesome. They even seem to charge up my toothbrush.
  • Fake_Blood 8 Nov 2017 11:51:32 7,912 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw a drop test of the 10 vs 8 and the 10 held up pretty good.
    The takeaway was that the 10 bounces more and thus absorbs less energy.
  • DaM 8 Nov 2017 13:47:36 16,865 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can anyone recommend a good contract with these? I've had an O2 business account for years and it's rubbish, so looking for a personal one to stick my new phone on.
  • ecu 8 Nov 2017 18:17:27 80,177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @ecu

Yeah £1000 phone with a £279 repair charge, damn right its in a case! But then i put all my phones in cases - i dont use a screen protector but i like having a lip over the front of the screen in case i ever put it face down on a table or whatever.

I have two small children, small hands and the damn thing is slippery there's no way i'd go without.

And i hear all these stories about how people throw their phone around and nothing ever breaks, but when i'm on the tube or the train i see 3 or 4 smashed screens every day so something doesnt add up.

Using the official apple leather case (red), extravagant i know, but it really does look lovely. No issues with wireless charging on a cheapo £15 QI charger.

My only concern with the official case is the bottom of the phone has no lip, presumably to keep the speakers open and make it easier to use the new thumb gestures. If i drop my phone on exactly that bit, it will ding/smash
    The leather case presumably wonít help much if you drop your phone though, only protect against scratches.
  • Dougs 8 Nov 2017 18:30:31 83,932 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Surely has a bumper at the sides though, especially important on the corners. That's where most smashes happen. I don't much like cases either but without one, all phones are slippery as fuck. When I tried one without a raised edge, my screen got scratched to fuck (albeit in my pocket whilst cycling).
  • THFourteen 10 Nov 2017 10:23:16 46,482 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecu wrote:

The leather case presumably wonít help much if you drop your phone though, only protect against scratches.
    You reckon? It seems pretty solid and thick, protects the back and all sides and corners. If you drop it on the sides or corners from a normal height (ie not above head height), it should be alright?

I mean yeah if it lands face down on a rock its not going to survive that but then nor will any non-folio case
  • THFourteen 10 Nov 2017 10:23:50 46,482 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @yegon

What do you reckon then?
  • Derblington 10 Nov 2017 10:27:23 29,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've got the Apple leather case on the 6 Plus and it doesn't stop it smashing. Probably helps a bit but I've smashed the screen a couple of times.

I'll be going for something more robust on the X.
  • THFourteen 10 Nov 2017 10:38:51 46,482 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh.

Well thats £49 wasted.

I got the red one, it looks really nice too :-(
  • binky Moderator 10 Nov 2017 10:40:21 10,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Still happy with the phone, or doesnít any part of you with youíd gone for an 8?
  • Dougs 10 Nov 2017 10:40:25 83,932 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ah, I thought it was a folio case with a harder inner shell.
  • Load_2.0 10 Nov 2017 10:48:29 25,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Load_2.0 10 Nov 2017 10:51:31 25,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can't believe you all spend close to a grand on a phone, which has had millions spent in aesthetic design to go and slap a dirty leather case on it or worse some plastic monstrosity.

You'll all upgrade in 2 years anyway and scratches are inevitable. I guess an immaculate phone might get you an extra 10 quid at Music Magpie on resale.
  • THFourteen 10 Nov 2017 10:53:14 46,482 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @binky

None of me at all. It was either the decision to stay with my 6S or go to the X. The 8 was just a slightly different phone in the same body.

I love the X now. The reachability thing is no longer an issue so I can make it work pretty reliably.

I do get the occasional incident of Face ID not unlocking but itís very rare. Probably similar to the number of times I had issues with Touch ID (but the 6s had first gen tech not 2nd gen like 7 and 8 I think).
  • Derblington 10 Nov 2017 10:53:47 29,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's more about keeping it functioning and not having to shell out repair bills, personally.
  • binky Moderator 10 Nov 2017 11:03:05 10,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A case for me is imperative. I find the design of the 6 an absolutely slipshow despite how nice it looks.

Have you used face ID with Apple Pay yet?
  • THFourteen 10 Nov 2017 11:13:30 46,482 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @binky

All the time - i use it 4 times a day on the train/tube and then usually once at lunch too.

I like how you can double tap the side button even when you are on a different app and it brings up the apple pay functionality (i think before you had to lock the phone first?)

I am wary of face ID not working correctly and looking like a dick on the tube, so i pretty much make sure its ready and activated when i'm 2-3 people away from the oyster reader :-)

For me its not that much of a change, even with the fingerprint reader i always looked at the phone before tapping to make sure my fingerprint had scanned.
  • THFourteen 10 Nov 2017 11:14:03 46,482 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i also like how you open e.g. online banking apps and instead of having to use touch id, it just scans your face and goes straight through to your balances.
  • Dougs 10 Nov 2017 11:40:43 83,932 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fuck that, as if I want to view my balances that quickly or often....
  • THFourteen 10 Nov 2017 11:47:28 46,482 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :-D
  • yegon 10 Nov 2017 12:42:53 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @THFourteen

Itís ace!

Came yesterday midday, had a quick play before restoring everything onto it. Which took ages, loads of music blah blah.

Coming from a plus Iím pleasantly surprised! Always used the plus vertical for everything other than video, so the narrower screen isnít troubling me too much as itís marginally taller content wise.

Was worried about the smaller keyboard in portrait but itís fine. Seem to have to reach my thumb down further for space, had loads of errors initially but Iím getting used to it. No problem hitting correct keys using both thumbs which is a relief.

Size wise it does feel much, much nicer to hold than the plus. Got used to using that one handed for loads of stuff so this feels like a breeze. Feels better in my pocket too.

Face ID has been brilliant so far. I LOVE the way it unlocks your notification on the lock screen once it knows itís you. Itís asked for my password maybe twice so far, and Iíve been using it a lot.

Face unlock is cumbersome when itís flat on a desk though. If you leave your phone flat and access it that way a lot, it really isnít ideal having to look over it in a weird body position. So much so, thought I might buy a wireless charger, but not going to bother now. Given you canít really use your phone whilst itís wireless charging and glancing at the screen when flat is a bit shit, canít see me ever actually using it. Besides, Iíve got a fast charging setup via the 29w Apple charger, so wireless charging doesnít offer any value to me.

Had to mess with the colour space a bit, a bit yellow out of the box with True Tone on. Fine now with a bit of tweaking.

Have a Spigen case off Amazon that I got a week ago, used it yesterday and this morning. Good protection but having a lip all the way around hinders all the gestures from the bottom. Went Apple store this morning, got Apple Care+ (which I always planned on getting, may use it caseless but bought a Cosmos Blue leather case when I was there. That unprotected bit at the bottom makes it much , much better to use so the trade off is worth it. I always use a case for the first week then go naked forever after, we shall see.

Iím already getting used to swipe to home, iPad feels weird all of a sudden as itís different.

Iím struggling with reachability, hmm.

Iíd forgot non plus phones donít rotate the lock screen, which is great because it annoyed me on my old phone. Equally, I never used the expanded options that appear in notes etc in landscape on the plus, so I like the fact theyíre nowhere to be seen on this.

I hope that massive horizontal bar at the bottom is nuked in a later update. Can see why theyíve included it to remind people what itís for, but Iíve already got the message so I want it removed. Accessibility option please!

The X is definitely the first interesting iPhone in years. Any idea I had that I may dislike it and return to my plus, NOPE!

Edited by yegon at 13:04:29 10-11-2017
  • THFourteen 14 Nov 2017 17:16:47 46,482 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A few extra niceties that come for free with other phones

Wireless charging - ace! How did i live without it.

Battery life - haven't had to charge my phone in the middle of the day ever.

background tasks - my 6S had a strange habit of some background tasks e.g. podcast / rss downloading not working unless i'd recently opened the app. This doesnt seem like a problem anymore
  • ozthegweat 14 Nov 2017 18:39:19 1,633 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After 1.5 weeks with the device I have to say the X is a great smartphone. There isn't really anything that bothers me, to the contrary. It's a delight to use.
  • yegon 14 Nov 2017 19:46:23 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah. Multi tasking via gestures is a delight.

For a laugh, turn reduce motion ON, and check out the reduced animations. OUCH! Looks terrible, needs a lot of work. Donít care though as I never use reduce motion.

Edited by yegon at 19:46:43 14-11-2017
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 14 Nov 2017 19:50:39 1,303 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    /glares at s8
  • ecu 14 Nov 2017 19:58:33 80,177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím still waiting for mine to arrive. o2 are apparently getting new stock either tomorrow or Thursday, hopefully one of them is mine.

Thinking about AppleCare+ but £200 is bloody expensive. Not sure if the £6/mo insurance option through o2 would be sufficient cover, anyone have any idea on this?
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 14 Nov 2017 20:38:45 1,303 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    it's a bargain compared to standard phone insurance.
  • Load_2.0 14 Nov 2017 21:17:54 25,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    /glares at s8
    Trouble with face ID?
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 14 Nov 2017 21:22:08 1,303 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    /glares at s8
    Trouble with face ID?
    It's not a great phone all round really. Great form factor and screen though
  • yegon 15 Nov 2017 12:01:54 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Face ID fail;

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/14/16650394/10-year-old-unlock-mom-iphone-face-id

Not entirely surprised, but story needs more context. If you fail on wrong face and then enter pin to unlock, the phone takes data from the fail face. Also, it appears it was done immediately after Face ID setup, at which point itís sucking up all the data it can from every unlock.

I think Face IDís biggest flaw vs Touch ID, ergonomics and current speed aside, is that the odds say youíre never going to meet someone with the same fingerprint in a 100 lifetimes. Whereas, a lot of people live in the same space with others that look similar to you.

Tested on my brother, who looks a lot like me, and it doesnít unlock. So it must be safe, right? RIGHT?!

Edited by yegon at 12:04:44 15-11-2017
  • Page

of 41 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.