iPhone X and other stories Page 36

• Page

of 39 First / Last

• BigOrkWaaagh 5 Nov 2017 15:19:45 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    With Touch ID you could unlock your face with your penis.
    With the X that's not possible anymore. Unless you're a dickface!
    How does one go about unlocking one's own face with one's penis?
  • ozthegweat 5 Nov 2017 15:52:01 1,614 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I meant to say phone instead of face.
    Although the original sentence seems like an interesting setup for... something.
  • ecu 5 Nov 2017 17:24:11 80,123 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you drew eyes and a mouth on your bellend and scanned it in to faceID, would the iPhone accept that as a legitimate face?
  • Fake_Blood 5 Nov 2017 17:51:03 7,837 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some interesting videos here.

iphone 8 vs X, starting to like the X, but he points out what I've been thinking all along, touch id works so well that it's going to be hard to beat.

I-FOXIT repair video. This thing is like 90% battery and the mobo is TINY.
    Most interesting thing is towards the end, you smash the glass on the back, everything inside your phone needs to come out and you'll have to shell out for an entirely new chassis.

• binky Moderator 6 Nov 2017 09:02:54 10,818 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @THFourteen nice write up. Will be interested to see what you think after a weekís use. Iím still tempted to get one now that my 6 runs like a dog. A really dead dog.
  • Fake_Blood 6 Nov 2017 22:36:00 7,837 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shots fired.

• Mfolf 6 Nov 2017 22:45:03 1,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    A bit soon for Samsung to be acting cocky when their devices were on the no fly zone like a year ago. Probably time to eat some humble pie and not tease the competition when your phones were literally blowing up.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Nov 2017 23:58:27 20,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @THFourteen

Thanks for the detailed review.
    However please stop using ďspeak toĒ, youíre not an American idiot.
  • Fake_Blood 7 Nov 2017 00:01:46 7,837 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe he can write however the fuck he wants ecosse.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2017 06:10:59 20,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Maybe he can write however the fuck he wants ecosse.
    He can indeed.
    He has my improvement support, heís lucky.
  • Dougs 7 Nov 2017 06:45:46 83,758 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And you wonder why people give you grief.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2017 06:49:13 20,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    And you wonder why people give you grief.
    That was very much tongue in cheek, I need to master emoticons or something
  • nickthegun 7 Nov 2017 06:56:15 71,922 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or maybe just start with simple human interaction and work your way up from there
  • THFourteen 7 Nov 2017 07:06:35 46,236 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I canít speak to anyone else but I wasnít offended by it.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2017 10:41:11 20,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Well I canít speak to anyone else but I wasnít offended by it.
    Euuuurrggghhhh
  • beastmaster 7 Nov 2017 10:56:22 17,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't think iPhone users give a fuck about the "burns".

Like the ones you get when a phone blows up in your face! Although that probably didn't happen.
  • Rivuzu 7 Nov 2017 11:08:05 16,620 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    I meant to say phone instead of face.
    Although the original sentence seems like an interesting setup for... something.
    "Quick! Someone call an ambulance! My wife's just fallen over and broken her leg!"
    "Uh... Sure..."
    /Unzips
  • yegon 8 Nov 2017 09:20:46 6,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mine arrives tomorrow, woo! Was told it was coming Nov 13 onwards, so 9th is not too shabby.
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2017 10:29:16 46,236 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Mine arrives tomorrow, woo! Was told it was coming Nov 13 onwards, so 9th is not too shabby.
    Nice, you'll love it i'm sure.

I think mines great now. There are situations where FaceID is faster than TouchID and situations where it's not quite as good - such as when your phone is on your desk and you have to lean over to look at it, or pick it up to unlock.

Just waiting for apps to be updated, was reading marvel unlimited yesterday and it's not using all of the screen which is a bummer
  • yegon 8 Nov 2017 10:50:56 6,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Great.

I always use my phones caseless, Iím not droppy when it comes to phones and gadgets, but those repair prices, eek! Bought some cheapy Spigen thing off Amazon that arrived a few days ago for the short term. Iíll prob get an Apple leather one if Iím sticking with a case.
  • ecu 8 Nov 2017 10:54:57 80,123 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen are you using a case with it?

I want to go without a case but Iíve read itís one of the least durable phones ever, and Iíll be shelling out 500 notes if I drop it and break the back of it. Maybe a case wouldnít help that much. Not sure whether to take out insurance with O2 or something. Iíll be using wireless charging so any case would need to support that too. I really wish they could make iPhones more resilient.
  • Derblington 8 Nov 2017 11:03:03 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've smashed so many iphone screens. I'm not particularly clumsy but when it hits at that perfect angle, and it has so many perfect angles, it just shatters. I use the official Apple case - it's garbage.

I lightly threw my current one onto the sofa a couple of weeks ago and it tapped my iPad. Smashed.

I'll be buying something more heavy duty for the X.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Nov 2017 11:05:56 38,786 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've not smashed a single iphone, I haven't even used a case until the 6, and dropped them all countless times, which included a tumble down a set of concrete stairs. The phone, not me.

Otoh, I killed my iPad when it slipped out of my hand and landed softly on a wooden table. :-/

Edited by UncleLou at 11:06:11 08-11-2017
  • yegon 8 Nov 2017 11:08:30 6,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís absolutely laughable that theyíre apparently less durable than ever. I canít wait to get my hands on it, but Iím not blind to some of the very questionable design decisions. Then again, I used an iPhone 4 for over 2 years caseless and didnít have a problem with its durability.

I hate using cases though, can see me using one for two weeks then ditching it.

Design stupidity award goes to the keyboards on the new MacBook pros though. Key cap go funny? Thatíll be 3 or £400 to replace the whole top case please. Made worse by the fact thereís clearly a design flaw in the switch mechanism that makes a lot of them go bad for little apparent reason. Fine when under warranty, but after that, ouch. I suspect thereíll be either a class action lawsuit or an extension to 3 years for keyboard related problems, whichever comes first.

Meanwhile, my old 2013 mbp is stil going strong.

Edited by yegon at 11:09:18 08-11-2017
  • reviewer 8 Nov 2017 11:23:06 4,744 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That's not durability. Durability is related to using it not being clumsy and dropping it on the floor.
  • ecu 8 Nov 2017 11:23:29 80,123 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iíve broken two screen in 10 years of owning iPhones.

First time was a weird accident where I accidentally kneeíd the desk I was sitting at which caused a CD on the supporting shelf above to drop corner-first in to the middle of my phone.

Second time I had my phone on top of my iPad case as I was holding it, and didnít notice because it was dark. It slipped off and landed on my speaker stand, corner down. Had a hairline fracture running all the way from bottom left to top right of the device. This was the 6+ and happened on launch day! Took it to the Apple store and after the staff had a good laugh about me breaking my new phone on the first day, they said they hadnít even got the parts to repair the screen yet so they gave me a replacement phone for free.

Iím generally really careful with my phones and treat them like the expensive tech that they are, but since your phone is with you almost all of the time you never know what accident could happen.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Nov 2017 11:26:26 38,786 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @yegon The 4 was really built like a brick, it seemed indestructible. Didn#t trust the 6 one bit though, hence I started using a case.
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2017 11:26:28 46,236 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ecu

Yeah £1000 phone with a £279 repair charge, damn right its in a case! But then i put all my phones in cases - i dont use a screen protector but i like having a lip over the front of the screen in case i ever put it face down on a table or whatever.

I have two small children, small hands and the damn thing is slippery there's no way i'd go without.

And i hear all these stories about how people throw their phone around and nothing ever breaks, but when i'm on the tube or the train i see 3 or 4 smashed screens every day so something doesnt add up.

Using the official apple leather case (red), extravagant i know, but it really does look lovely. No issues with wireless charging on a cheapo £15 QI charger.

My only concern with the official case is the bottom of the phone has no lip, presumably to keep the speakers open and make it easier to use the new thumb gestures. If i drop my phone on exactly that bit, it will ding/smash
  • yegon 8 Nov 2017 11:38:15 6,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @UncleLou

I saw loads with shattered glass backs though. But otherwise yes, seemed tougher, possibly as it was so much thicker.
  • Page

of 39 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.