ITS HERE
  • UncleLou Moderator 3 Nov 2017 14:22:36 38,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DOES IT RECOGNISE YOUR FACE?
  • quadfather 3 Nov 2017 14:33:29 29,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just wish they'd have a decent enough camera setup on mobile phones (any make, whatever) that didn't take 13 years to actually take the photo.
  • UncleLou Moderator 3 Nov 2017 14:37:47 38,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @quadfather There's a reason why any decent camera that has no other functions but take photos costs at least as much as a smartphone, you know. ;)
  • quadfather 3 Nov 2017 14:46:23 29,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @UncleLou

:)

I should tape my phone to my camera! \o/
  • elstoof 3 Nov 2017 15:43:10 18,629 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    5th Avenue Apple flagship had a queue of at least 1000 people waiting to get it
  • the_milkybar_kid 3 Nov 2017 15:43:58 6,079 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Welcome to the future!
  • beastmaster 3 Nov 2017 15:49:39 17,574 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All Apple employees!
  • HarryB 3 Nov 2017 17:45:31 7,172 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís really nice but I am gonna return mine. Will wait for the plus model next year. Face ID works much better than I expected but Iím happy with my 6s plus for a bit longer after trying this out.
  • THFourteen 3 Nov 2017 21:02:42 46,186 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @HarryB fair play, thatís some strength and willpower youíve got there!

I am loving mine so far, itís not without its issues but the larger screen size is a revelation for a lot of the forum sites i use especially this one.

Face ID seemed a bit finicky at first but seem to be getting used to it.

Had to find the reachability setting in accessibility seems odd thatís not on by default.

Main issue is my pebble app isnít currently letting me download new faces, dunno if thatís the watch or phone.
  • ecu 4 Nov 2017 00:39:01 80,115 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I ordered one earlier in the week. I was so adamant I didnít want it, but early reviews were so overwhelmingly positive I couldnít resist. I got to have a go with the one my friend picked up today and itís bloody brilliant. It has a very good feel to it, like youíre holding a screen and nothing else. Iím impressed.
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2017 05:21:18 46,186 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Initially I thought Face ID was going to be irritating as I failed to unlock my phone a couple of times.

Got the hang of it now and itís not annoying.

Also nice to have a battery in my phone rather than the potatoes I had in my 6s
  • elstoof 4 Nov 2017 05:38:36 18,629 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Potatoes and copper rods are enough to power most electronics
  • HarryB 4 Nov 2017 08:47:39 7,172 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My 6s battery has lost around 25% capacity in just over a year. Potatoes indeed. Not that Apple believes it's a case for consumer law
  • reviewer 4 Nov 2017 08:59:28 4,740 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It isnít.
  • Derblington 4 Nov 2017 09:08:07 29,598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My 6Plus still holds a days charge easy, unless I'm playing a lot of Clash Royale or something. General use its fine though - listening to music and browsing the web/facebook a few times a day (to and from work, in the gym), texts and calls.
  • spindizzy 4 Nov 2017 15:23:57 7,668 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just updated to 11.1 ... I hope this is going to make my 6 bearable again, or I'm going to have to start saving. I spend too much time on my phone to have it be rubbish.
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2017 19:45:31 46,186 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OK some early first impressions then. Bear in mind everything is compared to a 6S (non-plus) so YMMV.

Pros :

Screen : The size and expansiveness is fantastic compared to the 6s, especially on forums like this one which i use a lot. Its nice and sharp and bright as can be expected. I am also happy that the screen is not fully edge to edge because i like to use a case with raised edges around the side to protect from drops.

Battery : Fucking ace. Literally been on it all day since 5am and currently at 42% battery. 6S needed charging halfway through the day with even half that same useage.

Interface : In general, the new gestures to replace the home button work fantastically and i am now whizzing about as if i never had a home button save for one thing (see cons), and the new Face ID related stuff is quality (see non-issues)

CPU : Fucking whizzy compared to my 6S. Apps which were painful to use like marvel unlimited are now so fast in comparison. Maybe the RAM helps as well.

Camera : Played about with a lot of the stuff today and its great, and 2x zoom too which i didn't realise. The portrait stuff is quality for taking pics of the kids, shame they are both snotty today.

Wireless Charging: OK so this is old technology, but as i'm comparing it to my 6S which didn't have it, i love this. Already had a QI compatible matt and it works great. No more scrabbling with cables at 2am in the morning.

Cons :

Screen - Truetone, wtf is this nonsense. Makes the screen tinted yellow. Followed some instructions on macrumours to adjust the calibration but i really shouldn't have to do this and i'm close to just turning it off. Also screen colours do change for different viewing angles if that bothers you.

One-Handed use - It's not as useable as my 6S in one hand. Also reachability is turned OFF by default (wtf) and it isn't as easy to invoke reliably as the double-tap of the home button. Even with it on, certain things are impossible one handed, which used to be possible on the 6S. Note i have tiny Asian hands :-)

Case : I have the official Apple Red leather case and because of the way you interact with the bottom of the screen (swiping up and down) there is no "lip" covering the phone at the bottom. If i drop it on the bottom the glass is going to smash. Not sure how i feel about this, i have ordered a 3rd party case from Amazon that goes all the way round and will see how that affects the usability.

Non-Issues :

Face ID - after the initial wtf period I've got it down now and its absolutely spot on. In some instances its even better than Touch ID - you look at your notifications, and your phone unlocks automatically and you can go straight to e.g. email or football scores or whatever app the notification came from unlike Touch ID where you have to unlock your phone manually first. Opening e.g. the Natwest banking app now logs in straight away without pressing touch ID, notifications are quieter if you are looking at the phone, stuff like this is fantastic.

Note - i switched off the setting which requires you to directly look at the phone to unlock.

Apps - A lot of apps have not been updated to the X screen size yet. I'm going to put this down to early adopter tax, but in 3-6 months time if this is still the case then it becomes a definite Con.

Notch - whatever, if you really want to complain about this then suit yourself.

"Plus" - this isn't a replacement for the Plus sized phones. Display is not as wide. You probably wont be happy if you need that width. Non issue for me coming from a 6S.

Overall
    I am way pleased with it. It's not without its faults but its a quality upgrade from my 6S and the best normal sized iPhone you can get. I can't speak to the Plus sized phones having never owned one. I'd give it 8/10 at this stage, i love it but it's probably not worth £1000 if you need that money for food, kids, holidays or whatever instead.

Any questions do ask!

Edited by THFourteen at 19:53:17 04-11-2017
  • superbob85 4 Nov 2017 19:50:12 7,975 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The price out me off I'm happy with the s6 still going strong.
  • Mfolf 4 Nov 2017 19:56:31 1,416 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Are you having to hold your phone in an awkward position to unlock? Awkward as in vastly different to how you would normally?
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2017 20:05:01 46,186 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mfolf wrote:
    Are you having to hold your phone in an awkward position to unlock? Awkward as in vastly different to how you would normally?
    So you HAVE to IMO put your little finger under the phone so that it doesn't slip out of your hand in my opinion. It is different. You can give it a go with your existing phone - imagine that in order to unlock it you had to swipe from the very bottom of the phone upwards. If you hold the phone one handed without that little finger its either going to slide out of your hand when you move your thumb, or its going to tip over the top of your hand.

Again i have small hands so YMMV
  • Fake_Blood 4 Nov 2017 20:20:00 7,823 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think he meant do you have to hold it differently for face id to work.
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2017 20:41:33 46,186 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I think he meant do you have to hold it differently for face id to work.
    Yeah I got that, to ďunlockĒ the phone , you can hold it how ever you like, but to get the same effect as you would when you press Touch ID you have to swipe up from the bottom and not just hold your finger.

In order to do that I find I have to hold my phone differently because Iíll drop it if I donít rest it on my little finger. When you ďTouchĒ the Touch ID button you are pretty much gripping the phone anyway with your thumb so less chance of dropping it
  • elstoof 4 Nov 2017 20:41:37 18,629 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How big are your hands THF, I feel like that might help
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2017 20:47:57 46,186 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @elstoof

Small tbh, I canít wrap my fingers around the phone and swipe up and down with my thumb, so it kind of just rests on my fingers.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Nov 2017 21:50:29 32,013 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But on the other hand it's massive!
  • ozthegweat 4 Nov 2017 22:13:50 1,612 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    With Touch ID you could unlock your face with your penis.
    With the X that's not possible anymore. Unless you're a dickface!
  • elstoof 4 Nov 2017 22:27:18 18,629 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Penis like a cobbler's thumb
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Nov 2017 14:58:28 20,443 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I saw the X today, ducking lovely.
    Compared it side by side to my 7plus and illl definitely be ordering one.
    I though the white back looked great but the side is too shiny so Iíll probs go black again
  • Page

of 38 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.