Internet Gaming "celebrities" and their racism (no Gladiators discussion) Page 15

  • Page

    of 21 First / Last

  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 13 Sep 2017 22:10:38 47,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GO 'EAD TURTLE LAD!
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 13 Sep 2017 22:10:46 47,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hi new page
  • mothercruncher 13 Sep 2017 22:15:34 14,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I aim to die having never seen turtle wang, personally.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2017 22:27:44 11,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Its a tortoise. And I've just googled their penis. It's er... not what you expect.
  • mothercruncher 13 Sep 2017 22:58:09 14,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm picturing a big hard helmet... but can't look.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2017 23:04:25 11,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It looks like an evil alien plant from a dodgy sci fi film.

    Edited by Decks at 23:05:14 13-09-2017
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2017 23:06:44 11,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It looks like you can get Sky One on it.
  • mal 13 Sep 2017 23:23:59 28,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Once you go a sort of pinkish black, you won't go back.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 23:25:12 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ahhhhhh man, you guys have really ballsed up this thread, it was getting all nice and super intense and serious. I feel like I need a picture of Jet to get over this betrayal.
  • bad09 13 Sep 2017 23:48:33 8,011 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 23:50:23 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ahhhhhh...*unzips*
  • Skirlasvoud 14 Sep 2017 01:14:02 2,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This thread is now about Tortoise Penis.

    Let's see Craigy redirect that one into the appropriate category!
  • Fake_Blood 14 Sep 2017 08:12:21 7,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    https://youtu.be/VniftxcRuME
  • Mfolf 14 Sep 2017 08:23:20 1,457 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Mfolf wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Mfolf wrote:
    My issue is going from that to accusing someone of being racist. It might be a soft topic but that is a bloody hard conclusion and has moral and frankly legal connotations that shouldn't be thrown around so easily.
    This is what I mean about you being defensive. Can you not see how that's quite a defensive reaction?

    The point (again) is to challenge your notion of racism. It’s provocative to get a reaction. There’s no need to be defensive (or worse, litigious) because it’s clearly not a statement directed at anyone individually. She’s just asking you to think about what she’s saying and ask yourself some challenging questions about whether this is relevant to you and your life.

    And like I say, you may not like the provocative nature of the question, but I think that's worth being a little self-reflective about as well. What is it that bothers you so much? Why is it making you feel defensive?
    (again) not being defensive. If anyone is it is you that is being defensive. And if the premise of your/her argument is that she is being provocative to get a reaction, don't act shocked if the reaction looks provoked.
    But why is that your reaction? You clearly feel that you're being 'accused' of something (your word) and that you're morally and potentially legally affronted by that accusation.

    Why you do think you're reacting that way? I'm just trying to understand the language you'r using.
    Didn't get chance to reply to this yesterday so appreciate discussion has (kinda) moved on.

    That's my reaction because I a) disagree strongly with the preproposition, b) think it adds nothing and in fact drags the debate by regressing to the use of finger pointing, c) potentially opens the floodgates for similar nonsense logic like I say above and d) I don't like being called a racist.* Especially as the line of reasoning to get to that point would logically make me sexist, homophobic, ableist, etc. etc. I appreciate that is in there to get a reaction, so here is a reaction. 'You' have my attention, I've engaged in your argument and I disagree with it strongly (you as in she).

    * for clarity here, if I'm going to accept the premise that I benefit through lack of detriment and that this benefit in the absence of positive action on my part to tackle the issue makes me implicit in the detriment, and therefore a racist. Which I can see some logic in. However, I can't accept that this positive action is enough to surmount the hurdle laid down in the premise. Im a member of equality groups and I've argued against discrimination, I don't think that is enough to overcome the day to day benefit and implicit involvement I have in systemic racism (again, assuming I accept the first premise).

    This is why I don't accept the first premise and therefore the argument. And I 'react' to it the way I do because it leads to me, you and 99% of the people here being racist. Which I don't agree with. It also leads to you being sexost, homophobic etc. etc.

    I don't agree that it's being thrown out there 'for debate' anymore than 4chan member 483627 attempts to argue that all black rap artists are racist for their derogation of culture and use of N word whenever he gets pulled up for saying something stupid on the internet. Her point boils down to 'you and I are racist because we benefit from racism'. I disagree with this and try as you might to see it I'm not 'reacting' or getting 'defensive' in the way you think I am.

    (Also you might have misunderstood my legally affronted point. My point was that the accusation of racist has legal conotations which is another reason it should be thrown about or have such a low bar as she provides. Not that I'm so afronted I'm going to sue lol)
  • Mfolf 14 Sep 2017 08:23:42 1,457 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Bloody hell it didn't look that long on my phone. Sorry.
  • Rivuzu 14 Sep 2017 08:39:24 16,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bet you say that to all the girls.
  • TurkeyNeck 14 Sep 2017 10:27:59 107 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I agree with everything Mfolf has said.
    I don't really see why he's being accused of being defensive either. Seems to me he just has a different way of looking at it rather than being defensive.
  • Rodney 14 Sep 2017 11:07:41 3,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's fairly reasonable to be a bit defensive if someone labels you racist.

    The problem is, I think, when most people think of racists, they think of outright bigoted EDL white supremicists types. So I feel like we maybe need different words to describe the level of racism that is implicit bias or maybe benefiting from white privilege.

    I get the argument that we all share some responsibility in ending discrimination against marginalised groups, and that we benefit from an economic legacy of colonialism which still disadvantages some groups, but it's a fairly diffuse responsibility - and not one anyone today had any active choice in acquiring through their own individual actions.

    Labelling people racist is not going to win many people over. It's just alienating and, I think, counter productive, even if there is some merit to the reasoning behind it. Racist is too crude a word, and used to describe too wide a spectrum of behaviour - from literal Nazis to people who may be innocently unaware of which words are currently acceptable.

    Like a lot of these social justice terms like rape culture, white privilidge etc, they describe valid concepts and issues that I think most people would be open to considering (and examining their own part in them), but the rhetoric used to describe them is toxic and often used in pejorative ways. Insulting the people you need on your side is not a winning strategy.

    Edited by Rodney at 11:11:13 14-09-2017
  • Skirlasvoud 14 Sep 2017 11:20:36 2,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whatever the case, kudos to the both of you for making such well concise red points and argueing eloquently a with such intensity.
  • Rivuzu 14 Sep 2017 11:24:03 16,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    inb4 we start going down the rabbit hole which is Unconscious Bias and come to the conclusion that everyone is racist, a little bit.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Sep 2017 11:26:18 9,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mfolf wrote:
    That's my reaction because I a) disagree strongly with the preproposition,
    Hmmm, but then you say this...

    * for clarity here, if I'm going to accept the premise that I benefit through lack of detriment and that this benefit in the absence of positive action on my part to tackle the issue makes me implicit in the detriment, and therefore a racist.
    So...I'm not sure what you're disagreeing strongly with. That is more or less the entirety of her point.


    b) think it adds nothing and in fact drags the debate by regressing to the use of finger pointing,
    This is again where I infer your defensiveness from, but ok, you say you're not so fine. But, if you accept the first point, what do you think is a good way to raise the issue? Confrontational provocative activism makes people talk about these issues (like this) and forces (some) people to challenge themselves. Quietly asking people not to be prejudiced doesn't do anything. Genuinely would like to know how you think black people should confront the issue of systematic racism.

    c) potentially opens the floodgates for similar nonsense logic like I say above and d) I don't like being called a racist.* Especially as the line of reasoning to get to that point would logically make me sexist, homophobic, ableist, etc. etc. I appreciate that is in there to get a reaction, so here is a reaction. 'You' have my attention, I've engaged in your argument and I disagree with it strongly (you as in she).

    And I 'react' to it the way I do because it leads to me, you and 99% of the people here being racist. Which I don't agree with. It also leads to you being sexost, homophobic etc. etc.
    Well, yes, but we kind of all are. Or at least this is the same point as the one being made yesterday. We are all complicit in terrible things. We really are. Doesn't mean we're all terrible horrible racist homophobic environment damaging sweatshop advocating oppressive Nazis, but we do bury are head in the sand regarding these issues that we all contribute to and that's not good enough. Acknowledgement of where we could do better is really important. Are you saying that you don't agree with that? And if not why not?

    You don't like the word 'defensive'. Fine. But you do obviously react to this kid of logic and argument with indignation. You feel accused and it offends you. But this is exactly what 'privilege' is in this context.

    It's not enough that we as white heterosexual able-bodied males in the Western world have every possible societal advantage, we also don't find it 'helpful' to have it pointed out to us. It makes us uncomfortable and offended and we feel like we're being accused of things that aren't really our fault. I mean, think how that objection sounds to a black trans woman who's been oppressed, persecuted, abused, raped and vilified her whole life. Do we really think it's our feelings that are the important thing here?
  • mrpon 14 Sep 2017 11:26:19 33,730 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Guys guys guys, Dianne Abbott just said it live on GMB, it's fine.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Sep 2017 11:33:13 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rivuzu

    We've just started for the day. See you around 5-5.30 for some gifs and YouTube videos?
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Sep 2017 11:36:47 5,248 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has virtue signalling been mentioned yet?

    Any prison planet vids linked?
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 14 Sep 2017 11:40:27 47,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One of my finest moments on Twitter (not a high bar) was when that Prison Planet blert blocked me. It felt like validation ;)
  • Rivuzu 14 Sep 2017 11:46:31 16,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JamboWayOh So long as they're of Jet and clips of the Madonna with ze big boobies.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Sep 2017 11:52:12 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rivuzu

    Hmm, I'm not sure if I can do Jet anymore. I mean is it racist that I, a brown man get excited over Jet, a white woman. I feel I should be upset that she's used her race to get my willy all excited. I think I need 5-15 minutes with my phone to hash this out.

    Edited by JamboWayOh at 11:52:30 14-09-2017
  • bad09 14 Sep 2017 11:54:16 8,011 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Guys guys guys, Dianne Abbott just said it live on GMB, it's fine.
    It's never fine when Abbott opens that mouth of hers....
  • Rivuzu 14 Sep 2017 12:00:45 16,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JamboWayOh She could be bright green for all I care, I'd still hang out the back of her.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Sep 2017 12:01:56 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    @JamboWayOh She could be bright green for all I care, I'd still hang out the back of her.
    #progressive
  • Page

    of 21 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.