The Nintendo eShop & Indie Game Recommendation Thread

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • rice_sandwich 9 Sep 2017 20:19:20 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A threat to recommend Switch games on the Nintendo e-shop. List away.

Recommended so far:

GRACEFUL EXPLOSION MACHINE:
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Graceful-Explosion-Machine-1212045.html

DangerousDave_87 said: ..."a very simple and addictive shooter. Perhaps not quite as amazing as Resogun on PS4, but still a great game. It has leaderboards (that work now!) and it's very easy to pick up and play."

HAS BEEN HEROES:
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/HAS-BEEN-HEROES-1174348.html

rice_sandwich said: "A fantastic, if very difficult, puzzle strategy game. Forget the crappy reviews, it's excellent!"

IMPLOSION:
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/IMPLOSION-1241801.html

RunningMan said: "I really enjoyed Implosion. Sort of ninja-mech-diablo mash up. Lots of game for the money."

IRONCAST:
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/IRONCAST-1249854.html

Edited by rice_sandwich at 20:49:08 09-09-2017
  • RunningMan 9 Sep 2017 20:23:50 2,809 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really enjoyed Implosion. Sort of ninja-mech-diablo mash up. Lots of game for the money.
  • mothercruncher 9 Sep 2017 20:25:42 14,101 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Moustache Faced Plumber Adventures is brill.
  • DangerousDave_87 9 Sep 2017 20:26:09 2,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You caved very quickly there! \o/

I would like to nominate Graceful Explosion Machine as it's a very simple and addictive shooter. Perhaps not quite as amazing as Resogun on PS4, but still a great game. It has leaderboards (that work now!) and it's very easy to pick up and play.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Sep 2017 20:26:56 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

I love lists.
  • Addy_B 9 Sep 2017 20:33:45 1,657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Ironclad is great.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Sep 2017 20:37:17 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Addy_B

Do you mean Ironcast? The turn based match 3 strategy steampunk game?
  • rice_sandwich 9 Sep 2017 20:42:31 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm recommending Has Been Heroes. A fantastic, if very difficult, puzzle strategy game.
  • Addy_B 9 Sep 2017 20:50:51 1,657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @rice_sandwich

Yes. Ironclad? Lol ignore me.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 9 Sep 2017 22:21:07 1,243 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Lego worlds is pretty good.

I've played about 5 hours so far. Starts off fun, with a good narrator, but after the first three small islands you're left more to your own devices. Things in the next worlds are based around fetch and build quests with some where you have to protect the brick carriers. The object of the adventure mode is to collect bricks which award you special items and unlock more islands and content.

I've noted some significant delay in button pressing and response at times and a few glitches where you're stuck in a certain mode or can't move. I've managed to work around all of these but it's a shame they're there.

It's an ideal game for kids (my kids love it) and maybe a good game for those who like playing with Lego as you're collecting it through the main game and can then use the stuff you've found to make increasingly complex works. Building is actually pretty decent once you get used to it and i was able to build a few classic red brick houses with red tile rooves.

I've enjoyed it for the £19 it's cost. Relaxing game, (with the odd chase and fight) which I can zone out to and collect things or explore our build and do chores for lego people.
  • yegon 9 Sep 2017 22:53:17 6,121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I recommend Ironcast, they did a great job porting it from the PC version and thereís a few extra elements to it that werenít in the PC version when I played it (probably patched into PC version since).

Turn based match 3, but donít let that put you off, thereís ample strategy to it, and the setting is well imagined.

Beat the final boss. Never managed this on the PC version, not entirely sure whether itís because the Switch version is easier, or the form factor meant I played it for longer.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Sep 2017 10:13:33 2,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Having brought it up yesterday, i'd also like to recommend Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap. It's very much a game of it's era, a mid-to-late 80's metroidvania, but it's very well done. The controls are easy to grasp and the difference between all the characters makes revisiting areas and finding secrets all the more appealing.

I'd also recommend Overcooked and Minecraft, because they're just obviously great choices!
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 10:17:40 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

You have to write some comments or even, if it would make you happy, list some good stuff about those two so I can quote you in the first post. I will occasionally post the recommended list.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 10:18:48 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood

What about the crashing and other bugs in Lego Worlds that some reviews mention?
  • GuybrushThreepwood 12 Sep 2017 11:04:40 1,243 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @rice_sandwich In the many hours I and my kids have now spent ( got to be well into double figures), I've had one crash. This is the only crash I've had on the Switch since I've got it and it returned me to the home screen with the game still playing. I logged back into the game and had lost nothing.

Aside from that, I've not seen any bugs at all. There is a noticeable lag at times on button presses and I've had to press "X" a couple of times (sometimes 4 or 5 times) before it brings up the menu. There is also noticeable pop up, especially on two player. Frame rate isn't too bad though. I've not seen any of the reported glitches of minifigs stuck in terrain (unless I stuck them in it using the build tools).

Having played a few more hours, I'd say its lacking in intuitiveness and the controls can be a bit hard to get used to, but it is a great game for just exploring and my kids absolutely love it. They've spent hours flattening the world and then building a town and populating it and then wandering around it. I can't see me wanting to do that (who knows?) but I am enjoying the laid back nature of the main exploration game and I can handle the lack of responsiveness and the pop up (mostly the pop up is related to minifigs the game puts in with quests). I've had no quests fail on me or anything yet.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 11:12:14 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood

Thanks, that's a good summary. Looks to be minor issues that may be annoying for some players.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2017 11:24:01 31,488 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a good write up by Guybrush. My experience is mostly identical, so a single crash (I was quitting so I wasn't too fussy), no bugs, and a bit of pop-up but nothing game breaking.

I've never had the lag issue Guybrush had with button presses, so my experience isn't completely identical, but everything else about my experience is the same :) The map generator in particular is quite nice and always seems to give you a cool place to explore, with a lot of variation in the things you'll see.
  • macmurphy 12 Sep 2017 11:40:54 2,503 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can I have a vote for Garou please. I only say that because there are a lot of identikit Neo Geo fighters on the store and you might struggle to pick a winner.

It also benefits from having much more complexity than SF2 which feels regressive to me after SFIV - Garou doesn't because it has a lot of the intricacies that SF adopted.

Anyway, it's arguably the best fighter on the E-shop. I'll leave the only review on metacritic (Nintendo Life?):

While Street Fighter and King of Fighters continue to dominate the one-on-one combat genre, Garou: Mark of the Wolves will be remembered as an undisputed high-point for this style of game. This is the work of a company at the height of its powers, with an intimate understanding of hardware which was - by 1999 - almost a decade old. The controls are tight, the cast is varied and appealing (if a little small) and the visuals rank as some of the best examples of hand-drawn artwork ever seen in a video game. It therefore goes without saying that Garou is an essential purchase for each and every Switch owner, even if you don't consider yourself to be a fan of the genre.
  • macmurphy 12 Sep 2017 11:42:05 2,503 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also RMX deserves a place on there Shirley.

And Overcooked.

Edited by macmurphy at 11:51:25 12-09-2017
  • Phattso 12 Sep 2017 11:50:00 21,983 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the thread, given the title. eShop and Indie covers... all games. Because even non-indies are on the eShop. If it's Indies we're aiming for specifically, surely all the LEGO Worlds talk is off the table?

CLARITY, PEOPLE! WE NEED CLARITY!
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 11:54:39 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Blame Dangerous Dave and JoelStinty. They forced me to create the thread. I guess the point is to recommend non-first party games and keep the eshop update thread clear for other news. Don't blame me, I was only following orders 😀
  • Ghibli 12 Sep 2017 12:00:50 241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's a great idea. The eshop is chocka now and it's good to be able to pick through it all to get to the lesser known gems.
  • macmurphy 12 Sep 2017 12:07:00 2,503 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

I'm with the phat one. Otherwise you're going to have games like FIFA 18 and NBA 18 on there. It just becomes the metacritic list minus first party titles.

Surely the idea is to have understated gems? I vote for just Nindies as well. I know it's really hard to draw the line with stuff like BOI that's full price and has a physical release, but you can't put LEGO stuff on here. Maybe just only include it if Ninty put it on one of their Nindy show reels. And include the NEO GEO stuff.
  • pk1980 12 Sep 2017 12:12:35 810 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just Indies would be better.

Bigger releases will generally have a lot of reviews knocking around.

Only really seen Nintendo life do regular eShop reviews of Indies and more inclined to trust the views here.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 12:22:05 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok, I'm taking recommendations for a new thread title since the one I picked sucks.
  • Phattso 12 Sep 2017 12:36:49 21,983 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Embrace the horror of 'Nindies'. :-D

I definitely have some NeoGeo recs based on my short time with the console.
  • erniewhatbert 12 Sep 2017 15:32:02 2,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think I saw a Neo Geo-era football game on the eShop. Any good? I'm holding out for Sociable Soccer for the moment.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 12 Sep 2017 15:54:53 1,243 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Yeah I was confused by the "eShop" bit. I'll shut up about Lego :)
  • DangerousDave_87 14 Sep 2017 09:57:59 2,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Not sure on a new title for the thread. Maybe Nintendo eShop Indies and hidden gems? Anyways, below is my quote for Overcooked and Wonderboy. There's no point including Minecraft as it's a huge game anyway. Everyone who owns a Switch will know about it already, i'm sure.

Overcooked - It's one of the best multiplayer games on the system and is suitable to everyone, regardless of their gaming experience. It's easy to pick up and play, but requires a lot of team work and coordination to master. It's also cheapest to play 4-player on Switch.

Wonderboy - It's very much a game of it's era, a mid-to-late 80's metroidvania, but it's very well done. The controls are easy to grasp and the difference between all the characters makes revisiting areas and finding secrets all the more appealing. It's also one of the best looking platformers on the system thanks to the new hand-drawn artwork.
  • rice_sandwich 14 Sep 2017 10:00:46 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

I asked UncleLou to rename the thread to 'The Nindies Recommendation Thread'.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.