F1 2017 practice targets impossible? Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • RageBoy 10 Sep 2017 17:52:33 395 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just completed my first race in career mode, with the Williams team. The handling and the other racer AI's seem much better than the last game.

Had a fantastic duel with Perez on the two DRS zones in Australia - we were alongside each other for the whole start/finish straight, through the first, fast corner, and into the 2nd DRS zone before I finally inched ahead. The AI use to just give up when you were alongside but not anymore.

The forcefeed back is also much better, can feel every jolt. Unfortunately, my wheel (Thrustmaster T150) overheats and switches off after about 90 minutes of play, so I'm going to have to turn the strength down.

I found the fuel system a bit overwhelming - basically left it on default, as that usually worked on F1 2016 (and you could normally set it to Max for the last few laps) but by half distance, I was well down on fuel and had to run in lean mode.

My engine also went yellow half through - is that connect to the wear/tear bug or has that been patched?

Only other bugs I encountered were my engineer sometimes thinking I had spoke to him when I hadn't and Palmer just scored in the points, totally unrealistic, come on Code Masters, sort it out :)
  • nowthenfella 10 Sep 2017 18:03:47 32 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Judging by the codemasters forums the next patch 1.06 fixes the qualifying times as well as some other stuff. Engine wear has been tweaked for 25% and 50% races but they are still looking to improve it.

I found in the first race at melbourne my team under fueled me so had to run in lean mode quite a bit. Second race had no issue but now I double check the fuel amount on the race strategy screen to be sure.
  • superdelphinus 10 Sep 2017 19:15:58 9,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RageBoy did you do the fuel saving game in practice? It's useful! You basically don't have to ever really run in lean if you crack lift and coasting properly, unless you need a period of massive pace that takes all your fuel early on!
  • superdelphinus 10 Sep 2017 19:17:29 9,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And yes I have found they underfuel you a bit too much for the race - I usually edit it to about 1 lap under. The trouble is because I try hard to save fuel in the practice objectives, it thinks I want to run like that in the race itself
  • RageBoy 10 Sep 2017 20:45:45 395 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @superdelphinus no, not in Australia which may explain my problems. Will do it from now on and put in a couple of extra laps.

Just finished China in the wet. Are there pitstop bugs known as well? The two Force Indias and about 5 other cars only pitted once and there's no way I could have matched that strategy.

It could just be my driving style though. I'm pretty sure I might have worn out my first engine more from over-revving rather than the extra wear bug.
  • superdelphinus 11 Sep 2017 10:31:22 9,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's fully worth doing the practice sessions. Wear and tear is a huge part f this year's game - far more than in any previous iteration.
  • samharper 11 Sep 2017 14:37:17 835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 1 stop thing is not a bug, you just need to be a lot smoother or get some chassis upgrades (I also struggle with wear).

For over-revving, in the audio options there's a toggle for a shift beep which I also used in 2016, the cars need to shift quite early.
  • sherpa1984 11 Sep 2017 16:13:54 711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can still manually adjust your race fuel load in the race strategy screen (where you see your car on the grid). It's a bit hidden at the bottom of the screen IIRC.

About to start qualifying in Bahrain, after 2 races at 50% race distance my ICE is at 80% wear and even on the long straights of Bahrain I barely get into 8th gear. Most other systems at 60%. To avoid a penalty I need to get 5 races out of each part but am only getting 2 (though this is pre-patch wear). Will likely run old knackered systems in practise then take a penalty on high speed tracks to put fresh PUs in.

Think I'm on 75 AI difficulty; medium traction control, braking racing line the only assists and this seems a nice level for me. Can finish ahead of my team mate Alonso but not by much.
  • Phil616 11 Sep 2017 19:41:16 20 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Ive only played online so far but can you use the ERS in career mode? I dont get why its not available online.
  • Phil616 11 Sep 2017 19:41:17 20 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Ive only played online so far but can you use the ERS in career mode? I dont get why its not available online.
  • ModoX 13 Sep 2017 13:17:12 2,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As Destiny 2 was down last night I got on with the Hungary race, my first for Toro Rosso, and from 5th on the grid managed to win :) I chucked it up the inside on turn one as you do and came out ahead of everyone but Vettel, who disappeared into the distance then retired in the middle of the race. Queue the last 10 laps trying desperately to stay ahead of a charging Bottas.

Needless to say I've bumped the AI up a bit again, I'm on to 60 now so have crept into the 'hard' range. Still loving it and am on to Spa, Eau Rouge is terrifying!

As people have said, it's worth doing all the practice sessions, at the very least you need the resource points. I tend to do the acclimatisation, qualifying, race strategy, then fuel and tyre, and back to a final quali practice when I know the track inside out. Spread across the three sessions of course.
  • Rhaegyr 13 Sep 2017 13:23:09 3,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The practice sessions are great in this game - they've finally been able to apply some incentive to do them!

Having a little trouble with the AI at the minute (on 60 difficulty) - when it comes to breaking on the first corner nine times out of ten I'll get rear ended and spin out or to avoid this I'll be going to fast and smash into the car in front of me.

Seems a burden qualifying near the front at the moment - everyone's out for blood and nobody seems to get penalised either :|
  • Rhaegyr 13 Sep 2017 13:30:08 3,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also - do enough people have this to maybe start a online/forum championship? I expect not :(
  • technotica 13 Sep 2017 14:53:24 554 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can use ERS in career.

Edited by technotica at 14:53:35 13-09-2017
  • samharper 13 Sep 2017 15:55:50 835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What is meant by "use ERS"? It's not a button to toggle it, much like real F1 it's deployed automatically, although I don't think it's properly simulated in this at all.
  • mal 13 Sep 2017 17:00:50 28,112 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Both DRS (the flappy wing thing) and ERS (boost mode) are under the driver's direct control in real F1. DRS can only be enabled after an activation point and in the following straight, and once the driver's closed it they can't reopen it until the next activation point (and I think cars might automatically close it if you turn the wheel, cos with no traction you'd not do corners too well), but drivers can choose to activate it or not at each activation point. ERS can be used until it's all used up each lap, and you get a theoretical new full battery each time you cross the line.
  • Rhaegyr 13 Sep 2017 17:01:20 3,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've no idea what ERS is, nor how it would help me stop crashing into people (or being crashed into) at the start :|
  • mal 13 Sep 2017 17:02:47 28,112 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's short for 'Evade Ricciardo and Sainz', so if it's them that are hitting you, it's useful, but otherwise not so much.
  • shamblemonkee 13 Sep 2017 18:08:49 17,367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    The practice sessions are great in this game - they've finally been able to apply some incentive to do them!

Having a little trouble with the AI at the minute (on 60 difficulty) - when it comes to breaking on the first corner nine times out of ten I'll get rear ended and spin out or to avoid this I'll be going to fast and smash into the car in front of me.

Seems a burden qualifying near the front at the moment - everyone's out for blood and nobody seems to get penalised either :|
    If you don't want to break then brake at the correct point ;)
  • Phil616 13 Sep 2017 19:07:45 20 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    mal wrote:
    Both DRS (the flappy wing thing) and ERS (boost mode) are under the driver's direct control in real F1. DRS can only be enabled after an activation point and in the following straight, and once the driver's closed it they can't reopen it until the next activation point (and I think cars might automatically close it if you turn the wheel, cos with no traction you'd not do corners too well), but drivers can choose to activate it or not at each activation point. ERS can be used until it's all used up each lap, and you get a theoretical new full battery each time you cross the line.
    DRS closes automatically when the brakes are applied..
  • DaftFunker 13 Sep 2017 21:39:23 46 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mal wrote:
    ERS is now basically part of the ECU..... the driver can engage different modes..... but the deployment is now fully controlled by the ECU. The complexity of MGU-H (heat) and MGU-K (kinetic) interactions requires a much larger brain than the drivers.
  • mal 14 Sep 2017 02:11:53 28,112 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I was under the impression that the rules had simplified it to behave just like a battery, and they have a 'go faster' button they can push to overtake or to defend against being overtaken. There's also various engine modes the drivers can select, but I think ERS application has its own button. Red Bull also had the 'overtake button' which I think predated the energy recovery shenanigans, which I think was a temporary qualifying engine mode type thing.

ERS actually gets it energy from the MGU-K and MGU-H but as long as the engineers have got enough juice out of those during the previous lap to charge the system up ready for the next lap, they're golden. Drivers don't need to worry about that, until the MGU-K stuffs up and their brakes practically disappear that is.

Anyway, no idea how much if any of all this is actually implemented in the game.
  • Rhaegyr 15 Sep 2017 12:27:13 3,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone else have an online championship going with a friend or two?

We got up to Bahrain in our first session and really enjoyed it - both saved our data (think it autosaves) with the intention to pick it up again last night.

However, after joining the lobby and selecting 'Ready' the attempt to take us to Qualifying loops on 'Please Wait' loading screen. Tried him joining my lobby and vice versa, same results :(

Can anyone advise? Ta!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.