5pm today.
  • Alastair 12 Dec 2017 14:32:44 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hello new page.
  • Rhaegyr 12 Dec 2017 14:33:42 4,020 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I pretty much ignored the Palico's in the beta - are they quite important?

Can't remember them being in MH3U either - are they new to the series or have they been in a while?
  • Alastair 12 Dec 2017 14:36:22 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't think they are important, but they can be helpful in support.
    They do a little bit of gathering, they can heal you and they can distract monsters (sometimes).
    I'd say it's better to take one with you than not to.
  • Rivuzu 12 Dec 2017 14:37:38 16,805 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm hoping you can play as a Palico like in MHGen frankly. I spent more time as that than as a human hunter.
  • Alastair 12 Dec 2017 14:41:15 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They were in MH3, but they didn't hunt with you. They did the farming.
    They started to play a bigger part in the more recent games on 3DS.

They can level up and you can get ones who focus on healing, gathering, attacking etc.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Dec 2017 17:36:54 2,861 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The wife only tried the first two singleplayer quests. The annoying voice is easily mutable. The firefly being pretty pointless in quest 2 guiding her to every herb around didn't help her feelings for it ;)

She enjoyed the underwater sections in 3 more than most people used to. She missed the ease of use of the WiiU gamepad to sit alongside playing the game with the pro controller. Also didn't like the shoulders on the PS4 for this game compared to the WiiU Pro

Not sure if she is going to give the beta a second chance while it is live now though which is a shame as she had been waiting for a full console sequel since 4 was 3DS only and she barely touched it on that. Admittedly she hasn't been in the best of moods recently (due to outside stuff) but I hoped she would enjoy this one. Personally I haven't played the series as I am moreof a single player gamer (the kid being older does also make her worry about when to squeeze in the Monster Hunter time she used to easily get when he was a sleepy toddler)
  • Alastair 12 Dec 2017 18:09:37 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Not sure if she is going to give the beta a second chance while it is live
    It finished at 5pm..
  • Theshape80 12 Dec 2017 19:10:00 30 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Post deleted
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Dec 2017 21:40:44 2,861 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Not sure if she is going to give the beta a second chance while it is live
    It finished at 5pm..
    That solves that one then ;)
  • Alastair 12 Dec 2017 21:49:18 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Did anyone play Monster Hunter Stories?
    My son (age 9) seemed to enjoy the demo, so I've got him the full game. Hopefully he will enjoy it..
  • oldschoolsoviet 13 Dec 2017 06:54:47 6,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's the kiddie-friendly version that also has an anime ?

Still pretty popular over East (think the show's past ep60 on current run) so it can't be all that bad. Least the anime has them riding captured monsters, jammy buggers.

And not as bad as folk complaining about damage numbers without checking the options menu. :) First thing I changed.
  • [maven] 13 Dec 2017 08:31:57 5,553 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does this usually have a decent tutorial? I felt very, very lost in the β.
  • Alastair 13 Dec 2017 09:03:21 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The early missions are the tutorial, usually. They take you through the concepts of hunting, carving and crafting as well as gathering.
    What it doesn't do so well is explain things like barrel bombs, poisoned meat etc. Hopefully this game will do that.
    The training ground looked like a great place to learn your weapons. Better than anything in recent games.
  • Alastair 13 Dec 2017 09:07:50 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This forum and playing online with other EGers is also one of the best ways to learn the game.
    Based on past experience, once you've completed the first tier of solo quests you can venture out into the big wide world..
  • Humperfunk 13 Dec 2017 10:03:29 7,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally got round to booting it up last night.....after it had finished. Bah!
  • SamNunn92 13 Dec 2017 10:06:11 722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really enjoyed this beta. Managed all 3 quests (and as someone who is terrible at MH I was quite pleased!) and looking forward to release. I did catch myself crossing a line on the map and fully expecting the next area to start loading ;) Also gave the Insect Glaive a whirl which I haven't really used before and really liked it - don't remember it being that acrobatic in the previous game?
  • Alastair 13 Dec 2017 10:14:39 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SamNunn92 wrote:
    Also gave the Insect Glaive a whirl which I haven't really used before and really liked it - don't remember it being that acrobatic in the previous game?
    I tried the Insect Glaive in the past as it looked like an easy way to mount monsters, and indeed it is. What I was less keen on was the added complexity of upgrading the kinsect as well as the glaive itself. I wasn't really sure where I was trying to take my kinsect...
  • ZuluHero 13 Dec 2017 10:15:47 6,105 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MH4, where the glaive was introduced, was very acrobatic - it was also one of the only way to mount creatures quickly, otherwise you had to rely on the terrain.

Didn't get the chance to try it in the beta, so maybe they made the animations more acrobatic though.
  • Alastair 13 Dec 2017 10:20:17 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They brought in a mid-air dodge. Which is kind of cool. Only learned about it by playing around in the training zone.
  • SamNunn92 13 Dec 2017 10:32:18 722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the mid-air stuff seemed new to me - also seems that landing a hit gives you more air dodges.

I've never really looked into the kinsect stuff but you're right in that it is another level of complexity, which I suppose wouldn't have been apparent in the beta as there was only one to choose from. Have to see what it's like in the full game!

As an aside, do we think the bonuses from completing the missions in beta will unlock in the boxed version?
  • Alastair 13 Dec 2017 10:39:51 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I guess the bonuses are tied to your PSN ID, so as long as you use the same ID when you play the full release (boxed or download) then you will get the goodies.
  • Rivuzu 13 Dec 2017 10:45:49 16,805 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A lot of people were using the Insect Glaive over the weekend, but I only saw one or two people actually using the Kinesect.

Which is a bit daft considering that's where a majority of your damage comes from! You need to send out the bug to hit different parts of the monster, as that'll give you different buffs when it returns. If you can't freely throw it out, you can shoot pheremone bullets with the glaive to make the bug home in on a part of the monster too. I'm not sure which stats it upgraded, as each Kinesect is different as well (another layer to the complexity) but I'm pretty sure one of the buffs was just raw Power, making you hit stronger and that was by sending the Kinesect at the monsters head.

Aside from that, the vaulting is extremely useful. Yeah you can mount, but I used it more to evade a Barroth charge and just went over him.

It's a great weapon.
  • SamNunn92 13 Dec 2017 11:51:59 722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That makes more sense - am I misremembering or can the kinsects also retrieve monster parts? Will definitely be giving the insect glaive a proper go in the full game. I've stayed with longsword type weapons since the first game on PS2 (loved using the katana which I think counted as a greatsword then) but the IG was a lot of fun to use. Do you all use different weapons depending on the monster or tend to stick with one type?
  • Rivuzu 13 Dec 2017 11:58:33 16,805 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kinsects cannot retrieve monster parts as far as I'm aware, no.

I do absolutely change my equipment. The idea of taking a Barroth on with a bladed weapon is a big no no. Blunt is best there, especially as you can break his face for parts really easy and stunlock him with a good few charge hits from a hammer.

Also depends on team. Do I solo bow? Hell no. Nor would I solo great sword. Both of those rely on other people being tanky targets, like a Lance/Gunlance user.
  • IpromithiusI 13 Dec 2017 12:16:51 1 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    So, Insect Glaive.

The Kinsect is used to harvest 'extracts'. Red, White, orange, Green.

Red increases damage of the glaive and extends the number of hits in the animation.

White increases move speed and vault hight.

Orange increases defence.

Green heals.

The different colours come from different parts of the monster, normally red from head, white from legs/arms, orange from body, green from body/tail.

You get extra benefits from having 2 or 3 buffs.

The pheromone shot will leave the bug there doing damage and in World spawns the purple clouds that can be hit for extra damage.

Basic gameplay should be harvest all 3 extracts, go to town on the monster, then when they wear off, re-harvest. Shoot the bug out from point blank range for ease unless you build the bug as high speed.
  • oldschoolsoviet 13 Dec 2017 12:19:36 6,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, absolutely solo greatsword. It's the only time you can, without a barrage of hate-chat as you fling everyone else around ! Playing with others entails a very select combo repetition so as not to trigger some folk......

Bows too, especially something with good Pierce skills. Against some of the more agile/flying monsters, it was always an easy stun dropping them back to earth.

As for the beta unlocks, lots of high end health, boosters and traps glancing at the icon symbols (and roughly mentioned in the press release). Unsure on unlock, but it hasn't dumped a savefile on the HDD, so I'm not deleting the beta for now, just in case.
  • splosh 15 Dec 2017 22:10:25 21 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Well, if anyone missed the beta or just wants some more Barroth action the Beta is coming back from the 22nd of December to the 26th of December!
  • JiveHound 15 Dec 2017 22:13:04 9,123 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So being as I'm a lowly Xbox MH fan how is this? It still baffles why a beta is platform exclusive but there you go.
  • Alastair 16 Dec 2017 08:46:52 21,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Trying to persuade my non-MH mates to try it.
    Was planning to recommend they try dual blades, spend some time in the training ground then I'd take them on the Jagras hunt...
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.