Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Page 10

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Switch024 31 Oct 2017 10:20:42 2,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Been interesting reading the comments, I'm only just getting my hands on this today but going in with lower expectations than I would have been if I got this on Friday.

Are the difficulty spikes comparable to the first game or is it just completely ballsed in this one? I liked the challenge some parts offered in that and never really found it frustrating but this sounds borderline broken, at least that's the impression I'm getting going off the comments on here.
  • JamboWayOh 31 Oct 2017 10:36:12 3,313 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Switch024

It's the same as the first one in difficulty spikes and in no way borderline broken. Having permanent 50 health for almost half the game for plot reasons is an interesting gamble that sometimes doesn't pay off. However your armor limit is increased to 200 during then. Also while you may feel vulnerable the damage you can output is comically op. I like it.
  • the_dudefather 31 Oct 2017 10:53:38 10,463 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Playing on PC (played first game + TOB on PS4) and feels a little easier (terror-billy difficulty), but guess most of that is due to moving to a mouse (or that the load times are much quicker so I don't notice how many retires it takes as much)
  • BillMurray 31 Oct 2017 11:15:43 9,067 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm playing a notch above the easiest setting and not getting stuck in too many places. Think I'm only halfway through.
  • Switch024 31 Oct 2017 12:40:34 2,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alright sounds good to me, I loved the first one so more of the same is fine. My copy has just arrived too, back on the hype train.
  • Dgzter 31 Oct 2017 12:51:46 1,529 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm pretty early doors still: only just met Grace et al and got back to the Sub, but so far I've really enjoyed it. Looks great, runs beautifully at 1440p, and I'm loving my scoped Sturmgewehr :)

Definitely agree about the lack of damage feedback though. It is genuinely terrible; not sure how this didn't get picked up during dev.

Story has been fine so far, but I'm expecting it to nose-dive soon given some of the impressions on here. Can't say I really had any issue with the early scene concerning BJ's dad - does he reappear (via flashbacks) later on then? To be honest it didn't really leave much of an impression on me (I shot the fucking dog so quickly the scene faded out as BJ's dad tried to give his scripted lines) lol.

Edited by Dgzter at 12:52:32 31-10-2017
  • Switch024 1 Nov 2017 09:41:22 2,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Only managed to play the first hour but I thought it was a brilliant start to the game. Rolling around a German U-boat in a wheelchair blasting Nazis and watching them get vaporized. Awesome.

I don't mind that it's a bit cutscene heavy when they're so well done. Agree that there is a lack of damage feedback but it didn't really bother me. Will see how I get on when the difficulty ramps up.

Out of interest what difficulty have people gone for? I've stuck it on Do or Die.
  • foster2007 1 Nov 2017 10:47:09 215 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excellent game, have reached the black panther resistance in new york Tis a bit cringy and stuff but whatevs
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 1 Nov 2017 11:19:18 47,190 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Argh, so catchy!

Change over day...
  • Switch024 2 Nov 2017 22:59:01 2,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So yeah, when the difficulty spikes it really does seem to just go ridiculously hard. Considering dropping it down one but I may just need to readjust to the old school ways of saving at all times.

Enjoying it for the most part but the damage feedback is a problem, it just isn't noticeable so it feels like you die instantly. Can't remember if it was always like this? Been ages since I played the first.
  • Duffking 2 Nov 2017 23:00:23 14,853 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I had similar issues in the first game, maybe not to the extent of this one though.
  • creepiest-lizard 2 Nov 2017 23:52:09 512 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bloody hell. I thought maybe you lot on here might have been overly critical of the difficulty spikes of this game but fuck me, it can be incredibly frustrating at times. Why try to make stealth a viable option when it seems all but impossible to remain undetected in most cases? I may just be rubbish though.
    and yeah, the lack of feedback when getting hit is really annoying as well. Especially when you seem to have all the damage resistance of a damp rice cake.
    I haven't really been annoyed with a games difficulty in god knows how long but that fight in the courtroom had me tearing my fucking hair out
    Despite all that, I would still say I'm enjoying it for all the stuff it does right.
    I honestly have no idea how anyone could play it on the hardest difficulty settings though
  • Malek86 2 Nov 2017 23:56:32 6,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Switch024 I don't remember having a lot of trouble in the first game, but then again I'm used to check my health all the time (bad habit picked up during the Quake era).
  • RelaxedMikki 3 Nov 2017 00:50:51 2,252 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have been playing the first game (New Order) recently and it has exactly the same problem.

Only indication you are getting hit is some faint red around the edge of the screen when you have about 30 health. Which is generally too late.
  • Switch024 3 Nov 2017 08:24:27 2,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think on the higher difficulties, how quickly you die coupled with the lack of damage feedback makes some sections feel like trial and error.

I remember the 1st game having it's moments but it seems worse in this one.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 3 Nov 2017 13:55:39 6,388 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry, but I had to notch this down to don't hurt me, the lack of feedback and "insta" deaths from lack of said feedback were just pissing me off too much.

Enjoying it a lot more now.
  • supermichael26 3 Nov 2017 14:02:32 14 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Question for those who pre order the game. Did you get a code for ep 0 the pre order bonus to redeem was it in the box as I didn't receive anything with mine just thought I ask before chasing the retailer up.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Nov 2017 14:06:48 3,313 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    supermichael26 wrote:
    Question for those who pre order the game. Did you get a code for ep 0 the pre order bonus to redeem was it in the box as I didn't receive anything with mine just thought I ask before chasing the retailer up.
    No code in the box, Simply Games emailed me the code.
  • Switch024 3 Nov 2017 14:10:20 2,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't even imagine what Death Incarnate is like, Do or Die is absolutely brutal.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Nov 2017 09:58:18 2,830 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    with TNO the difficulty was not as bad as this as I manged to complete that on hardest difficulty. I don't remember the lack of hit feedback being a problem but I think that was because the armour was not paper thin as in 2.

Also stealth was a bit pointless in this as feels like they want you rush forward and dual wield everyone to death
  • Furtive_Pygmy 4 Nov 2017 10:19:29 6,388 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stealth is virtually broken, if an enemy sees me so much as poke an ear out from cover for a split second the alarms are sounded.

Anyway, finished the game earlier and for the most part enjoyed it, combat is much more enjoyable on lower difficulties, the cut scenes were great and I like the humour they injected into the game.

The paper thin armour is useless, and why on earth do you have to manually pick up armour and ammo, I know the other games did it but I find it utterly pointless busy work.
  • Malek86 4 Nov 2017 11:45:00 6,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having the player pick up health and ammo manually feels like Bethesda's influence from their RPG games. Old school shooters never did that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Nov 2017 15:06:06 1,895 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I'm very close to deciding I don't like this. While some of the core mechanics are solid enough, there's some poor game design in there. In particular, the difficulty curve is weird. You'll get long sections of slightly boring really-easy stuff, then a huge difficulty spike. Then it'll go back to easy again. Makes it hard, verging on impossible, to find a "right" difficulty to play on. Stealth, as others have noted, is broken.

The writing is also a bit crap. For the avoidance of doubt, I will say this now; Nazis are very very bad and anybody who disagrees with that is wrong. However, the writing in this does come across as an embittered far-leftie's masturbatory fantasy.

I probably need to go back to The New Order and see if I still like that. I remember really enjoying it at the time, to the point where "does it let me shoot Nazi robot wolves in the face with a laser shotgun" became my go-to test for whether a game was likely to be worth playing or not. Maybe last year's Doom just ruined me on these things. Or maybe the sequel really is much less good.
  • SomaticSense 8 Nov 2017 12:41:27 15,093 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Having the player pick up health and ammo manually feels like Bethesda's influence from their RPG games. Old school shooters never did that.
    It's weirder than that. You can auto pick up health and ammo on the floor, but have to manually get it from shelves, boxes, etc, and at the corner of rooms where your physical model can't put their feet (because the auto pickup is that precise for some reason). But also overcharging your armour and health also isn't automatic regardless of if you physically walk over it.

It was a big point of criticism of the first, and the solution here is largely a failure because the inconsistency means you end up still running around in a panic while being shot at hammering square/X whenever you see a pickup prompt anyway just to be sure. Either increase the auto pickup radius and include overcharges, or don't bother at all.

It's a small thing in isolation, but it's a good example of how the many small design flaws can end up fucking up the feel of the gameplay and make things a tad more frustrating that they need to be. It would've been Doom 2016 level of brilliant for me if it hadn't got these small fuck ups at every turn.

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:52:37 08-11-2017
  • SomaticSense 8 Nov 2017 12:45:54 15,093 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also I have to start a whole level from scratch after saving towards the end because of the latest patch.

Why? What other game handles updates like that, resetting all level progress? It's stupid.

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:47:49 08-11-2017
  • Switch024 8 Nov 2017 12:47:09 2,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's a strange one, especially when you consider the game actively encourages you to overcharge and go in guns blazing at points. I agree completely that the mid fire-fight panic of looking for more health and hammering square is a bit shit.
  • SomaticSense 8 Nov 2017 12:57:16 15,093 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But I still feel the damage feedback is the most critical flaw. I can't believe they shipped it like that, or didn't see it as a problem.

If they'd held on to it for just a few more months to address and polish this stuff it'd be among my favourite shooters of all-time and a solid GotY contender.
  • the_dudefather 8 Nov 2017 13:13:31 10,463 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really enjoying the story just got the new suit, but annoyingly, been having problems with PC version

No problems for the first couple of hours, but after a patch+driver update, it started crashing or locking up (which other users on steam had problems with on similar setups)

Think it's mostly stable now with one of the advanced video settings disabled

edit: Completely stuck now, get a black screen when trying to start next mission, think I'll put it on the backlog until another patch or two comes out

Edited by the_dudefather at 18:28:25 08-11-2017
  • SomaticSense 10 Nov 2017 10:07:23 15,093 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been hearing that the German version has removed all references to Jews and the holocaust.

Is there anyone here with that version that can confirm that?
  • Malek86 10 Nov 2017 10:16:36 6,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SomaticSense well, makes sense when you think about it: if in the German version you aren't actually fighting nazis (because national laws and all that), then it's not a good idea to have something as specifically related as Jews and the holocaust either.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.