The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1 Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 May 2017 22:07:41 965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know what, while I take the point on levels and enemies being a bit repetitive, I'm still enjoying this more than I expected to. Not that far into it - just got the first boss down - but had quite a lot of fun so far. Plus a good adrenelin rush as that first boss died.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 May 2017 20:22:32 20,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My experience of defeating the first boss was relief mixed with confusion!
  • ChiefGB 19 May 2017 22:19:25 6,484 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tbf that's sounds like most of my experiences with dark souls bosses lol
  • StaffyDog 20 May 2017 14:01:37 1,297 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't like hard frustrating bosses, can you summon? :D
  • Mr_Sleep 21 May 2017 22:47:31 20,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @StaffyDog no summoning or companions yet. One cant really grind too much either. It is a difficult game, the bosses can be a pain as they all have a method to them that isnt immediately obvious as Chiodini said in his review. Even so, i habe died far more to a particular leaping enemy that actually feelks pretty cheap, i can deal with them now but not with precision.

I am loving it so far though, despite some difficulty spikes and occasional wooly moments during combat.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems more like a game where one is not expected to dodge every attack, there don't seem to be i frames during dodges so one tends to have to use its version of regain. This might be different with the nimble class.

Just passed the third boss and it has ramped up the complexity of choices again, really interesting use of environment as a challenge in conjunction with enemies.

I think the 8/10 reviews are pretty much spot on.
  • funkstar 21 May 2017 22:55:19 3,068 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dodges work as you said, without i-frames, So you are expected to actually dodge the attack rather than get hit by it while invincible. Playing as the light class, dodge seems pretty useful, I especially like using it to dash into enemies and stagger them before they aggro
  • Mr_Sleep 26 May 2017 14:34:41 20,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    On the last section now, I think they have the game length about right, it is starting to outstay its welcome a little bit but that is mostly due to the some of the grunt enemies being a bit too much for my skill level.

I would also say, the fourth boss was pretty much one of the most time-consuming bosses I have ever faced in any game. It is a pig of a fight and fairly time consuming. I did look up one little trick that made it easier but it was still pretty tough. Heavy weapons are great until near the end where their stagger barely seems to register leading to a lot of cheap deaths. Those jumping robots are never anything other than annoying, a really quite terrible enemy to fight, thankfully there aren't too many of them.

Despite all those complaints I am still enjoying it, solid if not spectacular is what I'd call it.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 May 2017 14:46:19 20,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    All done. Weirdly I did the final battle on my second go, every other boss battle had been at least ten attempts, I wasn't even over levelled. Kind of glad of that though.

Time for a reroll!

Enjoyable game, some good tense sections and the combat is mostly pretty satisfying. Plot is pretty reasonablw without beinf stellar. As with everythinf in the game, good but not amazing.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 May 2017 18:09:26 965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @funkstar Lack of i-frames is a positive in my books. The Souls/Borne games have become too dependent on them. DS3 in particular descends into dodge-spam on many bosses.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 May 2017 19:11:00 20,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I agree. I found DS3 relying on i frames for ideal technique a little tedious. The lack of them generally works pretty well in The Surge.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.