The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1 Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 May 2017 22:07:41 1,503 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know what, while I take the point on levels and enemies being a bit repetitive, I'm still enjoying this more than I expected to. Not that far into it - just got the first boss down - but had quite a lot of fun so far. Plus a good adrenelin rush as that first boss died.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 May 2017 20:22:32 21,185 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My experience of defeating the first boss was relief mixed with confusion!
  • ChiefGB 19 May 2017 22:19:25 7,053 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tbf that's sounds like most of my experiences with dark souls bosses lol
  • StaffyDog 20 May 2017 14:01:37 1,341 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't like hard frustrating bosses, can you summon? :D
  • Mr_Sleep 21 May 2017 22:47:31 21,185 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @StaffyDog no summoning or companions yet. One cant really grind too much either. It is a difficult game, the bosses can be a pain as they all have a method to them that isnt immediately obvious as Chiodini said in his review. Even so, i habe died far more to a particular leaping enemy that actually feelks pretty cheap, i can deal with them now but not with precision.

I am loving it so far though, despite some difficulty spikes and occasional wooly moments during combat.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems more like a game where one is not expected to dodge every attack, there don't seem to be i frames during dodges so one tends to have to use its version of regain. This might be different with the nimble class.

Just passed the third boss and it has ramped up the complexity of choices again, really interesting use of environment as a challenge in conjunction with enemies.

I think the 8/10 reviews are pretty much spot on.
  • funkstar 21 May 2017 22:55:19 3,207 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dodges work as you said, without i-frames, So you are expected to actually dodge the attack rather than get hit by it while invincible. Playing as the light class, dodge seems pretty useful, I especially like using it to dash into enemies and stagger them before they aggro
  • Mr_Sleep 26 May 2017 14:34:41 21,185 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On the last section now, I think they have the game length about right, it is starting to outstay its welcome a little bit but that is mostly due to the some of the grunt enemies being a bit too much for my skill level.

I would also say, the fourth boss was pretty much one of the most time-consuming bosses I have ever faced in any game. It is a pig of a fight and fairly time consuming. I did look up one little trick that made it easier but it was still pretty tough. Heavy weapons are great until near the end where their stagger barely seems to register leading to a lot of cheap deaths. Those jumping robots are never anything other than annoying, a really quite terrible enemy to fight, thankfully there aren't too many of them.

Despite all those complaints I am still enjoying it, solid if not spectacular is what I'd call it.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 May 2017 14:46:19 21,185 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    All done. Weirdly I did the final battle on my second go, every other boss battle had been at least ten attempts, I wasn't even over levelled. Kind of glad of that though.

Time for a reroll!

Enjoyable game, some good tense sections and the combat is mostly pretty satisfying. Plot is pretty reasonablw without beinf stellar. As with everythinf in the game, good but not amazing.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 May 2017 18:09:26 1,503 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @funkstar Lack of i-frames is a positive in my books. The Souls/Borne games have become too dependent on them. DS3 in particular descends into dodge-spam on many bosses.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 May 2017 19:11:00 21,185 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I agree. I found DS3 relying on i frames for ideal technique a little tedious. The lack of them generally works pretty well in The Surge.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Jun 2017 23:19:40 1,503 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just came back to this after a few weeks away (partly due to other games, mostly due to insanely long hours at work). I've beaten the second boss now and am pressing into the Bio-Labs.

It's actually pretty damned good, isn't it?

The level design (layout, not aesthetic) really nails the Dark Souls 1 ethos, with lots of nice shortcuts and risk vs reward trade-offs. I like the energy system to power special attacks. I'd ideally like some more ranged attack options, but can see why the devs might have decided not to go that way. The lack of i-frames really does add an extra degree of tension to the combat as you don't have a magic "turn invincible" button, which means you have to think about positioning a lot more.
  • robthehermit 13 Jul 2017 16:16:00 6,099 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New patch released recently, with demo coming next week.

Tweaks:
    Allow early evading by default. This will enable the player to cancel attack animation in pre-hit phase and long combo chains by using evade, should they have enough stamina.
    Fixes:
    No longer end the hit/staggered state on a hit that doesn't interrupt the character.
    Fixed a crash related to pathfinding in some enemies.
    The MG Judge v2.0 is no longer able to hit through walls.
    Equipping the ATLAS Power Core will now work properly in NG+. In rare cases, the player could not level up any longer because the Power Core could not be equipped properly.
    Defence values will now scale properly through NG+ and beyond for undirected attacks.
    Reward pop-ups will no longer be carried over from previous games when starting/loading a new game.
    Fixed an issue that could lead to the player's death in rare cases when opening security doors.
    Fixed a crash that could happen when attacking PAX in the security captain boss fight while its AI is inactive.
    Capped the core power requirement for unlocking new implant slots at level 125.
    Properly updated the UI FX state when switching between injectables that do (not) require energy to use
    "Drone Skill Ready" will now properly display at the correct times.
    No longer display an error message when using the kill switch.
    Fixed an issue that would cause the destruction of upgraded weapons when removing duplicates from the inventory.
    Raised the volume of the PAX sounds when stunned.
    Security Heavy NPCs will no longer try to attack you if there's a fence between you. They will now go around the fence.
    Sound now plays properly when hitting the base of the Assembly boss.
    Board room door in management will now properly open.
    Fixed a missing pipe in Materials Processing.
    Fixed a poison puddle in Core Processing.
    Stuck in fight vs Rogue Process (collision is now bigger and should always push the player out towards the arena)
    Doors will now open and close correctly. Door to PAX spawn (doors will now animate to a specific rotation value and no longer by a value, so they should always be either opened or closed correctly).
    The PAX will no longer shoot rockets after falling over.
    The Security Captain will now no longer call the PAX when backstabbed.
    SQ06 Davey's dialog will now always be available.
    The flamethrower drone will longer turns against the player.
    Further fixes to the Security Agile NPC.
    Elemental damage is now correctly applied to all attacks
    Enemies killed with the drone Emergency Coolant Vent skill will now give proper XP.
    Giving Jo tech scrap will no longer update the player's tech scrap counter.
    Skipping the end video will no longer cause it to play over the opening train ride in NG+.
    Disabled pausing during the ending dialog sequence
    Disabled the kill switch during ending and loading screens.
    If the player dies in the arena after killing the big sister, the tech scrap was located in the air. Tech scrap will now be placed on the lower floor where the player needs to go to continue to R&D
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jul 2017 16:30:33 1,503 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @robthehermit Interesting. Some fairly significant difficulty nerfs in there.

Allowing more opportunities to cancel during attacks and combos will allow for much more rapid escapes from nasty situations. Not sure I like that. To be sure, you can take deaths at the moment due to being stuck in a combo at the wrong moment and these are, of course, annoying. However, a big part of the attraction of The Surge's combat for me was that with fewer I-frames and fewer cancel chances, you have to think about positioning a lot more than you do in the Dark Souls series. Committing too deeply to a combo is really, really dangerous and good reactions won't always save you.

Removing the rockets from PAX will reduce the difficulty of that fight quite a bit. I think I can live with this. PAX is the first boss and the rockets were often a cheap death inflicted on new players until they figured out the slightly strange mechanic behind them.

The security captain backstab thing is also a small nerf to that fight. Not sure I care about that one; it's only going to matter in rare, fringe situations.

Edited by Rogueywon at 16:30:52 13-07-2017
  • ChiefGB 14 Jul 2017 10:32:30 7,053 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I heard this received an HDR patch recently as well is this correct?
  • Humperfunk 14 Jul 2017 12:57:34 6,753 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That is indeed correct.

Still waiting to grab this, waiting until dirt cheap though as I am appalling at them (but love the gameplay and the whole idea of them), still over 20 though.
  • ChiefGB 14 Jul 2017 14:25:00 7,053 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have it, it's in my pile of shame, unopened.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Jul 2017 14:35:16 21,185 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I should really go back through my posts on this page and correct the spelling. Bloody phones.
  • StaffyDog 21 Jul 2017 09:52:05 1,341 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tried the demo of this and couldn't stop playing it for 2 night's. Ordered from Smyth's Toys 23.99
  • Addy_B 21 Jul 2017 09:54:10 595 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Really tempted by this but still feel burnt by lords of the fallen.
  • Dombat 21 Jul 2017 10:00:01 1,118 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This game suits doing a demo actually. It's very unlikely I'd ever buy this without having played it, as I only have a mild interest in it with several other games this year ahead of the queue. At least with a demo there's a chance it will win me over.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2017 10:09:01 1,503 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Addy_B It's a whole world better than Lords of the Fallen. Seriously, it's hard to believe the two games are from the same developer.

Give the demo a whirl if you are wavering.
  • Addy_B 21 Jul 2017 10:11:15 595 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @Rogueywon

Is the demo available on pc as well? Its my only platform now.
  • crashVoodoo 21 Jul 2017 10:13:45 5,404 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Addy_B looks to be a demo on steam
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2017 10:14:46 1,503 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Addy_B Yes. Should be available from the game's store page on Steam, I think.
  • Addy_B 21 Jul 2017 10:17:42 595 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Cheers guys. I will give it a download tonight.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 21 Jul 2017 10:25:03 6,157 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    Really tempted by this but still feel burnt by lords of the fallen.
    Yep, I vowed not to buy another one of their games, LotF was a bit of a turd.
  • Addy_B 21 Jul 2017 10:26:34 595 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy

I will try the demo and see how it is. No harm done I guess.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 21 Jul 2017 10:32:59 6,157 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    True.
  • robthehermit 21 Jul 2017 11:23:00 6,099 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've got the demo queued up for the weekend. Going against popular opinion, I thoroughly enjoyed LotF, and would have bought this ages ago if I was still buying discs, but as I'm digital only now I tend to only buy stuff on sale at stupidly low prices.
  • robthehermit 21 Jul 2017 11:48:40 6,099 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How long is the demo by the way?
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.