The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1 Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Dr.Haggard 15 May 2017 11:56:07 4,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm quite looking forward to this actually. Unlike some I didn't exactly hate Lords of the Fallen, though I did hate its appalling writing.

Were people's expectations just way out of whack once LotF got compared to souls? It was never going to come close to a souls game in any department and I never expected it to, but I had fun with it for a little while. Zero replayability of course, very claustrophobic and linear and the combat got old after a while, and good grief that writing and voice work, but I look forward to seeing how far they've come since then.

I'm just wrapping up yet another Bloodborne play through and this is just what I need to be honest. A catchy ditty to cleanse the palette after an epic concept album. I've been putting off both Nier and Prey until I'm in the right mood, and I might just dive into this first.

If the combat system is sound enough - and it does look fun - then sure, I'm in. Souls-like risk reward and careful, weighty combat in industrial mech suits against the backdrop of one giant discarded Half Life level? Sure whatever, I'm up for giving it a chance.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 May 2017 12:13:33 30,257 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I finally managed to off the second boss last night and am quite enjoying this so far.

First off, the combat is excellent. Really enjoyable. Itís nicely paced, punchy and ball-breakingly challenging at times. Rather than being boss-focused like Fromís games, this takes a different tack in putting the focus on regularly challenging standard encounters. All enemies can fuck yo shit up. The game encourages an offensive mindset though with its energy system, which builds up through combos and is then used for some implant abilities, drone abilities and chopping off arms/legs/torsos/heads. No shields here.

Thereís no standard loot system, although if you explore you can find implants and some unique weapons lying around, but instead you lop off enemy limbs to get weapons and crafting schematics for armour from their severed bits, which can then all be upgraded. There are also implants you can switch into your armour to give different boosts / stat tweaks etc. Everything ties into your level, or Core here, which affects how much available power you have. This is then used by armour and implants, with different types using different amounts of power.

The level design is a big step up from LoTF. Whilst artistically a bit bland so far, itís at least not another gothic fantasy setting. The areas themselves have been sprawling mazes, with stuff hidden away and then an array of shortcuts that can be opened up throughout, that all weave together very cleverly.

So yeah. Itís not going to set the world alight, but the combat and level design so far stick this is some very positive territory. Itís one of those 7 or 8/10 AA games that used to pop up on 360/PS3 every now and then, but are dying a death now.
  • SomaticSense 15 May 2017 12:32:34 14,922 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Were people's expectations just way out of whack once LotF got compared to souls? It was never going to come close to a souls game in any department and I never expected it to, but I had fun with it for a little while. Zero replayability of course, very claustrophobic and linear and the combat got old after a while, and good grief that writing and voice work, but I look forward to seeing how far they've come since then.
    For me, I wasn't expecting much from it. I went in already knowing it wasn't to Souls' level of quality, but was still hoping to like it as it looked alright from what I'd seen.

The reasons I ended up disliking it were the combat feel (too weighty and imprecise yet somehow still floaty and loose), crap difficulty design, poor boss design, janky performance, truly terrible writing, and a really unappealing prick of a protaganist that I honestly didn't like playing as.

I really liked the labyrinthine level design and the levelling mechanics, but I disliked near enough everything else. It had nothing to do with me expecting a game of From Soft's quality.

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:34:58 15-05-2017
  • ChiefGB 15 May 2017 12:54:30 6,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am wondering whether in a game like this its a bonus to be 60fps. Mechmen swinging about chunks of metal needs to feel slow, heavy and weighty. Some of the pc footage I've seen looks like it's on fast forward. I hear pro is shooting for 60 too. I have it at home but I'm waiting for reviews in case it goes back from where it came.
  • Frogofdoom 15 May 2017 12:57:43 5,239 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Souls is much better at 60 fps so it should apply here.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 15 May 2017 13:01:17 6,202 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The rental company sent something else. Sulk.
  • Ultrasoundwave 15 May 2017 13:02:31 5,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just watched the TotalBiscuit video.

He basically says what most other people are saying : it's the spiritual successor to Lords of the Fallen, but the team have learnt a lot since LOTF released and this game has made a lot of improvements.

He also says that the sci-fi setting is fresh and interesting for a "Souls-like", which I'm pleased to hear.

Definitely picking this up tomorrow.
  • ChiefGB 15 May 2017 13:25:59 6,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds encouraging, but I don't follow this Biscuit fellow. I need review opinions because clearly I'm shallow like that.
  • robthehermit 15 May 2017 16:44:55 6,040 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gamereactor are streaming this at the moment, and someone from D13 is answering questions:

https://www.twitch.tv/gamereactor
  • Skirlasvoud 15 May 2017 17:02:27 2,322 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ChiefGB

Totalbiscuit is more of a sleeping aid anyway.
  • creepiest-lizard 15 May 2017 17:06:34 427 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't get Totalbiscuit. He's just so incredibly dry and boring
  • Switch024 15 May 2017 17:19:43 1,774 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Supposed to have good Pro Support with two different modes.

A 4K mode at 30fps and 1080P at 60fps.
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 May 2017 17:21:35 38,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    I don't get Totalbiscuit. He's just so incredibly dry and boring
    That's why he's one of the (very) few Youtubers I occasionally watch. The very last thing when I watch a Let's Play/hands on is some kind of "wacky" Youtube personality. Play/show the game, tell me a little bit about it.
  • creepiest-lizard 15 May 2017 17:36:46 427 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @UncleLou
    Don't get me wrong, his reviews are incredibly informative and I usually agree with him but there has to be a middle ground between his style and, as you say, those "wacky" you tubers who I cannot fucking stand either.
    I think I just generally prefer well written fun reviews.
    ACG's videos aren't bad and I like Jim Sterlings written ones as well usually
  • ChiefGB 15 May 2017 17:38:40 6,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I also don't get this idea of impressions pieces or "quick looks" that run for about an hour, I don't have the time or attention span for that ;)
  • ChiefGB 15 May 2017 17:39:39 6,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im warming to acg as he does seem to balance his videos out a bit tbf.
  • Dombat 15 May 2017 19:09:53 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    For me, I wasn't expecting much from it. I went in already knowing it wasn't to Souls' level of quality, but was still hoping to like it as it looked alright from what I'd seen.

The reasons I ended up disliking it were the combat feel (too weighty and imprecise yet somehow still floaty and loose), crap difficulty design, poor boss design, janky performance, truly terrible writing, and a really unappealing prick of a protaganist that I honestly didn't like playing as.

I really liked the labyrinthine level design and the levelling mechanics, but I disliked near enough everything else. It had nothing to do with me expecting a game of From Soft's quality.
    That's 100% how I also felt about the game. I'd add that I went with the supposedly magic build, but I found the magic system extremely clunky. Plus, the abilities primarily aid melee combat rather than providing a genuine alternative combat style.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2017 21:27:35 1,235 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ugh. I've heard enough people saying positive things about this now that I'm starting to get tempted. Already have a huge backlog. Must... resist...
  • ZuluHero 15 May 2017 23:01:52 5,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Same here. It's already been a tough week and it's only Monday. I feel like a reward. Wonder if EG will review it?
  • Deleted user 15 May 2017 23:50:21
    Looks poor to me. The main protagonist walks like he's shit his pants and the game footage I've seen so far looks so uninspired. Lords of the fallen in space.

Edited by Biffins_Bridge at 23:50:37 15-05-2017
  • funkstar 16 May 2017 00:48:57 3,187 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Polygon gave it an 8, Eurogamer Italy gave it a 7. Both say combat is great.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 16 May 2017 05:05:52 6,014 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Unfortunately while it gets the mechanics right the overall design is a far cry from Dark Souls. The world itself is plain, unimaginative and uninteresting. The level design is cramped and maze-like. The enemies are mostly stock sci-fi robots which arenít that fun to defeat.

If youíre desperate for a new Souls-style game and like the idea of the sci-fi setting, set your expectations low and you could totally enjoy The Surge. We on the other hand got bored of it very quickly, and we can imagine a lot of gamers feeling the same way. Shame.
    Totally as I expected, LotF with robots. Definite pass from me.

Edited by Furtive_Pygmy at 05:06:51 16-05-2017
  • DUFFMAN5 16 May 2017 07:53:35 21,525 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Im warming to acg as he does seem to balance his videos out a bit tbf.
    ACG is the man, my go-to guy always.
    I still like Angry Joe, for comedic value if owt else.

...luckily for my wallet and backlog the game holds no allure for me.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 07:55:29 16-05-2017
  • chrisno21 16 May 2017 08:38:28 1,833 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't realise this was out anytime soon let alone out today. Got a lot of fun out of LotF, but now I've played Bloodborne, Souls 3 and Nioh is this up to the pretty high standards.

Early reviews aren't as glowing but given how much of a sucker I am for these soulsborne games I'll definitely be getting it at some point.
  • UncleLou Moderator 16 May 2017 08:42:58 38,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:

Totally as I expected, LotF with robots. Definite pass from me.
    Not sure which review you quoted, but all reviews I've seen say it's a much better game, and that the combat is great.

I have doubts regardine enemy variety, and I am not a fan of the makeshift look of all the weapons.
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2017 09:48:32 6,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the reviews coming in as good, not great. Let's be honest that's about what we all expected wasn't it? It could have gone much worse of course. Probably not enough to be a must buy day one, and it will likely struggle to sell. Got half price in 6 weeks written all over it. Worth a look though if it's still kept your interest this week.
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2017 09:54:44 6,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    38.99 btw In Argos if anyone looking to pick up today
  • Derblington 16 May 2017 10:07:06 28,665 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ACG's review "score" was 'Wait for sale' but his review actually sold me on it.
    I have a huge backlog of games right now already but I'm also in a bit of a funk and don't really want to play any of though I am looking for something to play. This could be it.
  • ChiefGB 16 May 2017 10:15:04 6,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm in the same rut, though I did finally open and start dishonored 2 yesterday. Just spend ages scanning up and down my game libraries spines, struggling to connect with the many Half finished titles.
  • DUFFMAN5 16 May 2017 10:18:34 21,525 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I'm in the same rut, though I did finally open and start dishonored 2 yesterday. Just spend ages scanning up and down my game libraries spines, struggling to connect with the many Half finished titles.
    Me as well!
    Over the past couple of weeks apart from Gears4 daily I have played a bit of:
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    Sacred 2
    KONA
    GTA V
    Sniper Elite 4
    Gears UE
    Plants v Zombies 2
    Forza H3
    Saints Row 3

I just can't get into games at the mo.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.