The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1 Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • BigOrkWaaagh 20 Oct 2017 14:42:30 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I played it to completion and thought it was pretty good. It's no Souls, but it's worth 12 quid.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Oct 2017 15:06:39 2,106 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it's an absolute steal for £12.
  • Addy_B 20 Oct 2017 15:25:11 2,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I ordered it for PS4. No idea when I'll play it but at that price I don't really care lol.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Nov 2017 15:13:20 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I see this is a tenner on base.com. As a souls fan that didnít really get on with LotF is it worth my time?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 10 Nov 2017 15:20:11 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyphyve It's no Souls 2, wunty.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Nov 2017 15:22:09 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    But what is though :D
  • BigOrkWaaagh 10 Nov 2017 15:33:14 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite liked it. It is just a not quite as good Souls set in the future. All the staples are there - get back to your stuff after you die, safe zones, big bosses you need to study, maps looping back round to previous areas. It's worth ~£10 if you want to play something in that vein, but it's not going to blow you away or keep you up until the wee hours like Souls.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 15:33:52 10-11-2017
  • Addy_B 10 Nov 2017 15:38:06 2,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    I see this is a tenner on base.com. As a souls fan that didnít really get on with LotF is it worth my time?
    I'm same as you. I also bought for cheap (£12)
    It's a LOT better than LotF. It's a significant improvement. The combat in this is actually really well done and so far I like the vibe. It's no souls and it's missing the pull and excellent creature design of fromsofts games but I kinda like it.

It's a shame there's no co op.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Nov 2017 19:51:13 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmmmmm. Looking at my backlog and my general gaming antipathy just now I think I shall leave it. I know I wonít get round to playing it for a million years!
  • Addy_B 10 Nov 2017 19:54:28 2,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @wuntyphyve

Yeah I've not played it properly beyond the demo really. Its way down my list of games I want to play. Prey is next for me once I finish Cod WWII later :)
  • ChiefGB 10 Nov 2017 20:18:29 7,394 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've had it since launch, and still not even unwrapped it :/
  • wuntyphyve 21 Nov 2017 10:11:56 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So bought it in the end. Had a session last night. I actually really dig it so far. Taking a bit to get my head around but it's starting to sink in. The combat is waaaaay better than LotF and the setting is a nice change. This will stave off my general gaming malaise for a bit I think. Maybe.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Nov 2017 10:16:34 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, it's not that long. 20 hours maybe.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Nov 2017 10:27:05 2,106 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Yeah, I brought my first playthrough in at pretty close to 20 hours. It's a short game compared with most other Soulslikes.

Worth noting the NG+ modes do mix things up quite a bit, with enemy placements in particular changing quite a bit and new options for upgrading gear.
  • wuntyphyve 21 Nov 2017 10:32:17 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    20 odd hours sounds ideal. Don't think I've got it in me for a 60-80 hour jobbie. Like MGSV, which I'm still wading my way through and god knows how many hours so far.

But yeah. I dig it. Still getting my head around the energy useage and limb cutting etc. Finally realies towards the end of my session that I hadn't fitted any armour and and I needed to craft another leg piece. Just need a body piece and I'll be fully armoured.

Does armour / gear ONLY drop once I do a finishing move on the piece in question (provided I do enough damage prior), or can I obtain a piece of gear just by constanty twatting it and killing the enemy? Basically assuming I've done enough damage to the bit in question, do I have to do the finishing move to get the gear or can it drop normally?
  • wuntyphyve 21 Nov 2017 10:32:38 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like the fact that weapons scale with proficiency. Less stats for me to faff / get confused with.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Nov 2017 10:40:57 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    20 odd hours sounds ideal. Don't think I've got it in me for a 60-80 hour jobbie. Like MGSV, which I'm still wading my way through and god knows how many hours so far.

But yeah. I dig it. Still getting my head around the energy useage and limb cutting etc. Finally realies towards the end of my session that I hadn't fitted any armour and and I needed to craft another leg piece. Just need a body piece and I'll be fully armoured.

Does armour / gear ONLY drop once I do a finishing move on the piece in question (provided I do enough damage prior), or can I obtain a piece of gear just by constanty twatting it and killing the enemy? Basically assuming I've done enough damage to the bit in question, do I have to do the finishing move to get the gear or can it drop normally?
    I think, if memory serves, you can get lucky if you just keep twatting things randomly, but if you master the finishers, which you will, you guarantee yourself the bit you hacked off.
  • wuntyphyve 21 Nov 2017 10:48:04 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sweet. Cheers.

I was quite chuffed as I stumbled upon a big, erm, thing in the first area near where the acid is on the ground. Killed that and got some shiny coin or other. Don't know what it's for but it felt good.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Nov 2017 13:09:25 21,388 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The leaping dog enemies are the only thing I actively disliked about this game. You will know them when you find them. Interestinglythis game seems more about backward stepping in combat than circling, took me a while to get used to circling when I returned to Souls games.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Nov 2017 15:08:58 2,106 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Yeah, there's a knack to those guys, but it takes a long time to learn.

You're right that leaping back is more important than dodging/side-stepping. An important difference between The Surge and the Souls games is that The Surge has very, very few I-frames. Dodge-spam is much less effective than in the From Software titles. I actually like this; you have to think about arcs of attack and the like a lot more when you don't have an on-demand "turn invincible" button.

I'd love to see From Software's next Soulslike go the opposite direction entirely to Bloodborne and eliminate I-frames completely in exchange for enhanced blocking and avoidance options.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Nov 2017 18:44:34 21,388 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rogueywon i never really learned it, by the end I tended to avoid too much death but it always felt pretty random. The fact that they could seemingly defy the laws of physics to jump around objects never helped anything.
  • wuntyphyve 22 Nov 2017 00:59:30 9,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    First boss down and on to next area. I take it I can revisit the first later? Few places I couldnít access.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 22 Nov 2017 06:36:40 6,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Yep, you can come back.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.