The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1 Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Addy_B 21 Jul 2017 12:48:17 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Damn I didn't realise this was still so pricey on pc. Fook paying 30+ for it.
  • SomaticSense 21 Jul 2017 13:30:40 15,093 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tried the demo, and tbh I didn't like it that much.

It plays far more fluidly than LotF, which felt like controlling a tank in a quagmire, and it looked great graphically, but everything else just rebounded off me hard. The combat seemed bland (felt closer to Let It Die than Souls honestly), the menus and systems were really confusing going in cold, and the environment is about as uninspired and unappealing a sci-fi setting as they could possibly have picked. I was feeling bored with the thing after just an hour, which I don't feel was a great sign.

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:33:09 21-07-2017
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2017 13:36:59 1,897 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SomaticSense I'm not sure how big the demo is, but I'd recommend sticking with the game until you've had a poke around Central Production B, if possible. The introductory area is a bit simplistic. Central Production B, on the other hand, is a brilliant 3d labyrinth, full of the kind of loops and shortcuts you got in the original Dark Souls.
  • SomaticSense 21 Jul 2017 13:42:55 15,093 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That wouldn't do much to address how I feel though. I didn't really have a problem with the level design in that opening area. So that getting better would be cool, but unless the combat drastically changes and the environments stop being scrapyards and factories I doubt I'd 180 on it.

It also does that thing that I get unreasonably irked by in modern games (my fault, I know). The 'Hold To Pick Up'.

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:45:51 21-07-2017
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2017 15:00:44 1,897 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Combat does evolve over the course of the game. The initial enemies are pretty simplistic. A few hovering drones (these largely vanish in later areas) and the most basic humanoid enemies in Lynx rigs, who have zombie-style behaviour.

As you get deeper in, you come across more dangerous robotic enemies. Not a huge number of types, but they're all markedly more dangerous than the little drones you meet early on. More significantly, human enemies get tougher and smarter. You get zombie-style enemies with better rigs, then T-800 style androids and, in the late-stages, sane and able-bodied human soldiers in high-end rigs who move faster and use smarter combat tactics. So your combat tactics need to get more sophisticated the deeper you get into the game.

Environments generally remain "dark industrial" until fairly late in the game. There's a coherence to the look, but not much variety.

Edited by Rogueywon at 15:01:19 21-07-2017
  • Addy_B 21 Jul 2017 17:43:46 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Downloading the demo on steam now. I'll give it a whirl once kids are in bed later.
  • Addy_B 21 Jul 2017 21:50:08 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Tried the demo, and tbh I didn't like it that much.

It plays far more fluidly than LotF, which felt like controlling a tank in a quagmire, and it looked great graphically, but everything else just rebounded off me hard. The combat seemed bland (felt closer to Let It Die than Souls honestly), the menus and systems were really confusing going in cold, and the environment is about as uninspired and unappealing a sci-fi setting as they could possibly have picked. I was feeling bored with the thing after just an hour, which I don't feel was a great sign.
    I kind of agree with you after spending some time on the demo. It's definitely better than LotF by quite a margin but I also felt a bit bored with it after an hour or so. The combat is great but I just found the initial area and enemies just a bit bland. I guess I'm more a sucker for the world's from create and I'm not a big sci fi nut really.
    It's definitely a game I'd pick up in a sale for under 20 and it's better than I expected but it still gives me a meh vibe.
  • Addy_B 22 Jul 2017 10:45:58 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Well the day after and I'm actually thinking about this some more and actually want to fire up the demo again.
  • StaffyDog 22 Jul 2017 11:07:47 1,396 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've went and bought the full game and glad I did. Kept all my progress so went straight into the next area. Fuck me the difficult spike but it's great and requires building your rig and upgrading your weps. Just like souls you have to take your time and suss out the enemy. Also great when you find a better mech part blueprint or a nice weapon.
  • Addy_B 22 Jul 2017 11:30:02 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @StaffyDog

I'd probably bite if it was 20 on pc but it's 30 so will just put it on the back burner and pick it up in a sale.
  • StaffyDog 24 Jul 2017 13:46:16 1,396 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Level 60 power and 3 phase armour upgraded and only beat 2nd boss last night. Hard as nails but brilliant so far.
  • Addy_B 28 Jul 2017 21:44:14 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    This is on a weekend deal on steam 33% off 26.79
    Tempting.
  • Daeltaja 29 Jul 2017 13:51:15 1,588 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The bosses are a massive improvement on LotF. Second boss (with all the legs?) was particularly enjoyable/tough. A bit more variety in the environments would be welcome though. Really solid game.
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Jul 2017 17:34:16 21,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Daeltaja there is a bit more variety in levels later. It is largely the same thing most of the time but there is the occasional change from the industrial zone into future zone.
  • GarlVinland 11 Aug 2017 10:02:35 2,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, just finished Nioh, which was magnificent, looking for the next game to help me fill that Souls-shaped hole in my life. Could it be The Surge?

reads thread reactions

Never mind.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2017 10:27:57 1,897 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @GarlVinland Don't write it off too quickly, opinions do vary.

I actually prefer The Surge to Nioh.
  • GarlVinland 11 Aug 2017 11:13:33 2,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting. It's 20 at the moment and I've bought games twice as expensive and never played them (too many times), so may take a punt on this.

What did you prefer about it? I hear it's rock hard for one thing, and after years and years of banging my head against Souls games, I'm quite happy just to casually play them in coop, which you can't do with this.

Important question is, how's the character customisation? That's all that really matters to me, if I can spend hours tinkering with builds and new equipment or weapons, I might not even need the rest of the game.

Edited by GarlVinland at 11:13:58 11-08-2017
  • SomaticSense 11 Aug 2017 11:48:07 15,093 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's a demo out there if you want to try it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2017 11:59:42 1,897 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @GarlVinland Difficulty is fairly high by Souls standards, but not as high as Nioh (which I found the toughest of all the Soulslikes). Combat is unforgiving and enemies hit very, very hard.

Character customisation, I'm afraid, is limited. You play as a defined character (as in Nioh and Lords of the Fallen), so there is no face/body visual customisation. There is only one choice you make at the start, which literally determines nothing more than whether you start with a few pieces of light armour or of heavy armour.

Actually, the character stuff is kinda unique for a Soulslike. Levelling up doesn't actually do very much; each time you level, you gain one unit of core power, which on its own does nothing. But you use core power to equip armour and special equipment - you can only equip gear up to the limit of your core power (and each piece of gear has a power-cost, with heavy armour, for instance, requiring more core power than light armour). So there's often a choice between going light armoured and having decent buffs and consumables, or going for a more restricted but durable heavy armour builds. You can completely switch all gear at any save point. Armour is divided into sets and you can get a set-bonus by equipping every piece from a given set (though there can also be advantages to mix/matching).

Levelling up also opens additional gear slots at set points and allows you to open certain doors (so once you get to high levels, you can go back to earlier areas and open previously impassable doors).

The other part of customisation is around the weapons and the drones. You've got five different families of weapons (from fastest to slowest): twin-rigged (basically fast dual-wielding), single-handed swords (balanced all-rounders), spears (long range but modest damage), single-rigged (two-handed heavy weapons) and ultra-large (massive, very slow weapons). You earn proficiency with each type of weapon by using it, but it's fairly easy to keep multiple weapon proficiencies high without needing much grinding, due to the way proficiency gains work. Drone abilities are a bit more limited, but you can get weapon/armour builds that incorporate them nicely (they're basically your ranged attacks).

Collecting and upgrading weapons requires extensive use of the "limb sever" finishing moves. You can get the blueprint for any piece of gear by severing the limb of an enemy equipped with it. You get materials to build upgrades by severing limbs and weapons.

There is quite decent replay value (which is good, because the campaign is short). Enemy placements change on NG+ and there are certain weapons that can only be acquired there (or from the last boss at the end of a standard New Game).

It doesn't have the depth of customisation all-round of a Souls game or Nioh. Bloodborne is probably a fairly good comparator.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2017 12:01:49 10,951 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The demo was enough for me. The combat was pretty awful I thought.
  • GarlVinland 11 Aug 2017 13:42:10 2,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the info! Think I'll give it a try and if it doesn't grab me, will go on the pile with the likes of Sniper Elite where the novelty of shooting guys in the nuts wears off after 5 mins.

@SomaticSense downloading the demo as we speak. But it was your impressions of it in particular that put me off it. :) Uninspired environments almost drove me away from Nioh, and I want excuses to buy it, not avoid it!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2017 13:47:43 1,897 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @GarlVinland Just stick with it until you get to Central Production B (the bit after the first boss). The introductory area isn't great compared to the rest of the game. The enemies are fairly boring with basic movement patterns, there's only one armour set to collect and the path through the area is mostly linear. You can probably be done with the opening area in 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how long you take to get past the first boss.

Things really get going once you get to Central Production B. You meet more threatening (and interesting) enemies, there's a lot more exploration to do and you get a bit more variety in terms of the gear available to you.
  • SomaticSense 11 Aug 2017 14:34:10 15,093 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @GarlVinland

There are plenty of other impressions from those who loved it though. So it's definitely one to try.
  • ChiefGB 11 Aug 2017 18:47:00 7,295 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still on my pile, I've cast it a few sideways glances this week (as I'm off work and in a new game mood) thing is my backlog is already ridiculous and I haven't finished ds3 yet. Also nioh on sale is tempting. Anyway, it's getting closer to the top of its pile, fresh opinions might just put it higher still.
  • SomaticSense 12 Aug 2017 11:41:08 15,093 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it's time people learnt to shut off the backlog anxiety lark.

A couple years ago I just accepted it. If I want to play a game, I play it. If I'm not in the mood for a game anymore or I'm simply not enjoying it that much, I stop. Maybe I'll go back, maybe not. If I don't feel an urge to go back in future, then it clearly isn't worth my limited gaming time anyway and I've got all I want out of it.

Life's too short.
  • Addy_B 12 Aug 2017 11:52:22 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    SomaticSense wrote:

A couple years ago I just accepted it. If I want to play a game, I play it. If I'm not in the mood for a game anymore or I'm simply not enjoying it that much, I stop. Maybe I'll go back, maybe not. If I don't feel an urge to go back in future, then it clearly isn't worth my limited gaming time anyway and I've got all I want out of it.

Life's too short.

Totally agree. I came to peace with the fact I'll never ever play half the games I own across platforms. I just play stuff as it takes my fancy.
  • GarlVinland 14 Aug 2017 11:13:58 2,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I tried the demo. Didn't like it, I'm afraid. :-( Might just be that I'm so used to Souls that I bounced off this but couldn't get more than 15mins into it.

I did feel the same way about Nioh though and eventually got back into it after about 6 months of trying, so may still get this, but only once I get through a few more games in the backlog. It lacked a bit of character or an immediate hook from what I played to make me super excited about playing it RIGHT NOW.
  • GarlVinland 14 Aug 2017 13:12:16 2,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:

Life's too short.
    One problem with backlogs (actually with me more than backlogs, I take responsibility). With the number of re-releases and remasters these days, I find myself buying the same game several times over.

I say this having just seen that Okami is apparently getting a PS4 release, but I've had it sitting on my PS3 hard drive for the past 5 years! But it's a Hideki Kamiya game, so of course I'll buy it, and probably again when it's on the PS5.
  • SomaticSense 14 Aug 2017 14:00:46 15,093 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, just saw that rumour myself, and it's really pertinent to the backlog talk for me too.

I've bought every version of it (PS2/Wii/PS3), and yet I've always failed to finish it despite adoring it enough to rebuy it all those times. And you know? I'll buy it again, love it again, and probably stop after Orochi again. And that's ok :)
  • Addy_B 20 Oct 2017 14:39:28 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    This is 11.95 on PS4 and xb1 @base.com at the moment.

Thought the demo was decent enough but always wanted to hold off until it was sub 20.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.