of 10 First / Last

• JYM60 5 Oct 2017 15:31:13 17,457 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Please stop focusing on retarded game modes like this. :(
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Oct 2017 17:03:17 30,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The prequel stuff is a load of old shit. Unsurprisingly. Plus the crappy droids from them are almost impossible to make out from the background on the Blurbox.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Oct 2017 17:05:23 30,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stopping some non-descript large brown shoebox somewhat lacks the excitement of taking down an AT-AT.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 17:08:14 05-10-2017
  • Phattso 5 Oct 2017 17:28:15 21,812 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, the Naboo thing was largely bollocks. Did laugh more than I perhaps should have at the doves that span infinitely from the floor in various locations, too.
  • JYM60 5 Oct 2017 18:10:14 17,457 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I liked my time playing this but cannot stand their obsession with pushing these disgusting game modes. Just focus on perfecting the game for domination, not modes that might sound cool, but play like muck.
    1st point is a spawn point nightmare, second part inside is a meat grind cluster fuck.
    The actual gameplay and classes feels real nice, the mode here though, should of been aborted.

Also I really enjoyed the prequel stuff in the PS2 Battlefront games.
  • DakeyrasUK 5 Oct 2017 18:10:29 1,121 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Played for an hour or so last night. Very much enjoyed piloting a tie bomber.

Playing as the droids on Naboo was ok. Was abit confused that I played on that side twice in a row? But hey it is the beta afterall.

The game played smoothly enough fo me on xb1 and was lovely to play as darth maul and jump and slash everyone to pieces, though did seem a little bit all over the place - probably me being too gung ho!

Very much in it for the single player campaign and chatting shit with mates on mp. Can't see myself playing online for more than a few hours tops before getting bored.
  • sherpa1984 5 Oct 2017 19:30:53 718 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The graphics are so good that the droids who can roll, sprint and jump look even more out of place!

I wonder if Dice ever tried slow but tankier Droids.
  • Cosmical 5 Oct 2017 19:58:35 107 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    Played for an hour or so last night. Very much enjoyed piloting a tie bomber.

Playing as the droids on Naboo was ok. Was abit confused that I played on that side twice in a row? But hey it is the beta afterall.

The game played smoothly enough fo me on xb1 and was lovely to play as darth maul and jump and slash everyone to pieces, though did seem a little bit all over the place - probably me being too gung ho!

Very much in it for the single player campaign and chatting shit with mates on mp. Can't see myself playing online for more than a few hours tops before getting bored.
    Is the MP bad then?
  • bad09 5 Oct 2017 20:06:15 7,971 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Negan wrote:
    You may think it's more battlefront but you're wrong. Your mind is just not noticing the major differences.
    LOL! :)
  • JamboWayOh 5 Oct 2017 21:38:13 2,496 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is Derblington ever going to to stop getting shit for that Hellboy Ron Perlman/David Harbour comparison?
  • bad09 5 Oct 2017 22:26:16 7,971 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You may think he's getting less shit but you're wrong. Your mind is just not noticing the major shit he's getting
  • Mojojoefish 6 Oct 2017 13:25:29 10 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I played a few hours of the Beta yesterday.

Improvements to space combat look promising, although pitch, yaw and roll will take a while to get used to after the dodgems of the previous battlefront.

Ground combat though! I have a nasty feeling they have removed the fun and replaced it with Ďdepthí. I poured hundreds of hours into the previous, not because itís an engaging shooter, but on the basis that itís starwars wish fulfilment. That is the USP. Good knock about fun that you can pick up and have an atmospheric pitched battle in the starwars universe.

What is depth anyway, a stick that the hardcore use to beat down the casual? Ultimately depth layers on a range of tactical considerations, which are quickly narrowed down to whatís effective for different play styles (assuming you can invest the time), at which point the natural order of things (the quick and the dead) reasserts itself.

The beta feels clunky, movement and shooting arenít fluid. You can feel the game choking your abilities, presumably until you apply the star card combination that releases your play style.

Donít even get me started on the choice to reintroduce the prequel material. What a joke. Clones are like the less cool older brothers of Stormtroopers and the battle droids are Jar Jar level clowns. Meaningless guns and vehicles. It may be that I am an incurable original trilogy fan, but is there really much call for the prequel dross?

Is this an essay?

Edited by Mojojoefish at 13:33:54 06-10-2017
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Oct 2017 13:29:04 30,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it's weirdly slow and clunky compared to the first.

Also it looks surprisingly poor in comparison to Battlefield 1 on XB, even though there appears to be a lot less going on at any one time.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Oct 2017 13:30:12 30,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And yes, fuck the prequels up their shitty trade embargoes. No-one sane asked for this.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Oct 2017 13:37:39 31,395 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Republic Commando was decent, as was Starfighter and the Pod Racer game. As far as prequel stuff goes, it generally works well in the games, including the original Battlefront II. Of course people would want more of that :)
  • ecu 6 Oct 2017 13:38:58 80,050 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    And yes, fuck the prequels up their shitty trade embargoes. No-one sane asked for this.
    There seems to be a new wave of people who actually like the prequels. Could be kids who grew up with them feeling a bit nostalgic, or maybe the widespread dislike for them has caused some sympathy, or that people just like to be contrary. I donít know. Theyíre fucking awful and everything about them should have been removed from Star Wars canon the moment Disney took over.
  • Mojojoefish 6 Oct 2017 13:41:33 10 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What was successful about the original Battlefront II was that it had big improvements to the original (canít remember, did the first original even have space combat?). I donít think that success had much to do with the prequel content
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Oct 2017 13:45:32 30,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah but DFawkes, your opinion doesn't count as you literally like everything.
  • JYM60 6 Oct 2017 13:52:25 17,457 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The original Battlefront 2 had maps which had capture points in space, and you could only get from point to point via space travel. It was amazing. The space battles, which then lead to indoor battles over the points, was so good.

The amount of time EA have had and the technology now, and they still haven't got near this level. Poor.

Oh and I did enjoy the prequel stuff in the game. The maps from that period were cool and the different droids made for interesting battles. Despised the films though obviously.

Edited by JYM60 at 13:55:36 06-10-2017
  • Quacktastic 6 Oct 2017 13:57:06 22 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Who likes stuff more? DFawkes or Ultrasoundwave? I mean, I'm a very positive person about a lot of stuff but those guys think everything is quacktastic!
  • Benno 6 Oct 2017 14:01:17 11,683 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    I liked my time playing this but cannot stand their obsession with pushing these disgusting game modes. Just focus on perfecting the game for domination, not modes that might sound cool, but play like muck.
    1st point is a spawn point nightmare, second part inside is a meat grind cluster fuck.
    The actual gameplay and classes feels real nice, the mode here though, should of been aborted.

Games like Dota and PUBG are proof that people just prefer a single (or a few) well nailed game modes and maps, as opposed to 40 maps and 70 game modes, which end up simply dividing the player population
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 6 Oct 2017 14:01:29 31,395 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I 100% stand by Geonosis being a great map. It really has a good mix of air, vehicle and infantry combat that crossed over really well.

Most of the maps in BFII were pretty good. Sure, there were some lemons in there too, but I'm not convinced there was much correlation between the quality of the maps and the era they were themed around.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Oct 2017 14:04:23 30,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Even if the maps were good, they still featured those shitty droids, the crappy starfighter things and the lame Australian stormtroopers but not quite stormtroopers. Which aren't Star Wars and so deserve no part in a Star Wars game.
  • bad09 6 Oct 2017 14:23:16 7,971 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whatever your view on the films people liked the prequel games a lot and we had some good ones. Jedi Power Battles, Ep1 Racer, Starfighter games, Battlefront games, Bounty Hunter.

Even the average ones were fun like Obi Wan, Clone Wars and the game tie in for ROTS.
  • KRadiation 6 Oct 2017 14:28:46 1,227 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2 player co op stuff is dog shit basic. Disappointing. Was hoping for full on galactic conquest mode option
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Oct 2017 14:58:36 10,283 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Won't get a chance to try this for a while, has the gunplay improved any?

And is there anyway to avoid the prequel AIDS altogether?
  • H1ggyLTD 6 Oct 2017 15:10:15 7,494 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Love the prequels, and love the talk of more depth.
  • JYM60 6 Oct 2017 15:22:59 17,457 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    JYM60 wrote:

Games like Dota and PUBG are proof that people just prefer a single (or a few) well nailed game modes and maps, as opposed to 40 maps and 70 game modes, which end up simply dividing the player population
    Exactly. But look at DICE recent battlefields an their insistence of (failing) pushing new game modes.

Pretty much dumped Rush (which had split the community a bit) after BF3. Tried with Obliteration in BF4 (enjoyed it for a bit actually). Binned that in BF1, another new mode which I can't even remember the name of.
  • Derblington 6 Oct 2017 17:06:12 29,202 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While the PT is dump, the Clone Wars series is excellent.
  • Red_Bool 6 Oct 2017 17:25:29 1,523 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    While the PT is dump, the Clone Wars series is excellent.
    Clone Wars is awesome! Starts light but turns pretty dark in the later seasons.
    SW Rebels is also turning out pretty good (and yes, Rebels is set after the PT but contains nice references to Clone Wars)

Edited by Red_Bool at 17:29:19 06-10-2017
  • Page

of 10 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.