Star Wars Battlefront II Page 16

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• SteveHolt 14 Nov 2017 07:16:27 452 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A bit confused by the backlash THB. EA has been doing this for at least 5-6 years in the EA sports games.
    I remember in NHL 11,12, and 13, it was very hard to perform in the online league with your created pro unless you paid around €4.50 for a boost pack, a pack which, to add insult to injury, you had to permanently disable after a dozen hours of play because the game forced you to choose between your XP and your boost packs.
    And ultimate teams have always been a micro transaction fest.

So, yeah, voting with your wallets is good and all, but that ship has already sailed a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
  • Tuffty 14 Nov 2017 07:22:14 4,036 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SteveHolt But using FIFA as an example, you can still play online without microtransactions. It only impacts Ultimate Team mode, I can still go online and play my brother at FIFA without touching that game mode.

But there's no escaping it here, it's built in as part of the experience. I have to earn credits or buy lootboxes to even play as Luke. Locking stuff away is a regression from the first game that came before. No wonder people are annoyed.
  • KD 14 Nov 2017 08:20:16 1,810 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hopefully they will adjust more but unless the progression system changes its still no purchase from me, will happily wait for that ea access release or pick it up for under Ł20, what ever is first.
  • CalamityJames 14 Nov 2017 08:24:43 163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    All the prices have been slashed by 75% now anyway. Vader is now 15k instead of 60.
    Apparently the rewards have been cut by the same percentage, so the net effect is nil.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Nov 2017 08:25:57 11,377 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Haha that's hilarious if true.
  • captbirdseye 14 Nov 2017 08:37:22 8,152 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Season passes aren't such a bad idea after all.
  • AaronTurner 14 Nov 2017 08:39:45 9,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty sure the credits earned from matches haven't changed. It doesn't make sense to give a credits reward that can unlock everything in the game now.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Nov 2017 08:48:21 30,779 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CalamityJames wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    All the prices have been slashed by 75% now anyway. Vader is now 15k instead of 60.
    Apparently the rewards for completing the campaign have been cut by the same percentage, so the effect is slightly less pronounced.
  • Derblington 14 Nov 2017 09:17:33 29,924 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it's just the SP reward.
    I don't agree with that. Being able to get a big character after 5 hours is fine, imo. The whole price structure is fucked now, imo, when trooper crates cost 4k.

But wevs.
  • mangojoe 14 Nov 2017 09:34:08 1,563 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Am I going to be able to rent this game or have EA found a way to prevent that too?
  • KRadiation 14 Nov 2017 09:43:24 1,229 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just had a look at split screen multiplayer. It's embarrassingly poor. Basic team deathmatch and some shit kill the enemy on a time limit and nothing more.

I was hoping for at least an objective based mode like the main multiplayer had in the first... or like the classic battlefront had.. galactic conquest was it?
  • Huggybear 14 Nov 2017 09:46:32 1,401 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Season passes aren't such a bad idea after all.
    They are a bad idea because they fragment the player base, eventually leading to players being spread too thin over various maps and modes.

But if you go and say "no season pass!" to generate hype and goodwill then you need to suck it up, and not try to come up with another system of squeezing more money from your customers.

For example, you could try and do what Nintendo does, and not heavily cut the price of your product soon after launch. Or Overwatch for that matter. If you keep supporting it and it's good enough, maybe people will keep buying it.

Of course, EA probably doesn't want you to keep playing any game for much more than a year, they'd rather sell you another instalment instead.
  • Derblington 14 Nov 2017 09:47:43 29,924 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No, you can absolutely come up with another system to cover the cost of producing the content.
    It just needs to be a good system.
  • THFourteen 14 Nov 2017 09:49:08 46,475 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • AaronTurner 14 Nov 2017 09:50:43 9,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Yeah, it's just the SP reward.
    I don't agree with that. Being able to get a big character after 5 hours is fine, imo. The whole price structure is fucked now, imo, when trooper crates cost 4k.

But wevs.
    There is a specific unlock at the end of the campaign that costs the same as the reward for the campaign. Hence the change.
  • Duffking 14 Nov 2017 09:54:22 14,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rainbow Six Siege does it reasonably well I think. The Season Pass is there if you want to get the increased rewards and locked content like new characters immediately. If not, you still get the maps but you have to grind quite a bit (but not so much that it's a ridiculous amount if you play a lot) to get the new characters.

No lootboxes, you get credits every match you pay at a reasonable rate, gameplay affecting items are all pretty cheap along with vanilla characters, DLC ones and cosmetics are significantly more expensive.
  • Huggybear 14 Nov 2017 10:02:46 1,401 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    No, you can absolutely come up with another system to cover the cost of producing the content.
    Yes, but you can't "squeeze" money from them. If has to be entirely obligatory and have no competitive effect, for example loot boxes with purely cosmetic items. You can't be forced to be killed over and over again by xXxDeathsniperElitexXx because you refused to buy some item that gives a competitive advantage. Like, taking 50% longer to get a lock on a ship, which I believe is in the game.

It's been suggested that they couldn't do a (desirable enough) system of cosmetic items because Disney/Lucas holds extremely tight control over the IP though.
  • Derblington 14 Nov 2017 10:10:07 29,924 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, that;s what I mean by "good system".
    It's a shame that LucasFilm aren't more willing to have a wider variety of vanity items but they want the tone of the game to match. It's their choice ultimately. That doesn't mean we should have ended up with what we have though.

Edited by Derblington at 10:10:29 14-11-2017
  • the_milkybar_kid 14 Nov 2017 10:13:36 6,161 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CalamityJames wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Apparently the rewards have been cut by the same percentage, so the net effect is nil.
    Jesus fucking christ, they really don't want any positive press for this, do they?
  • rice_sandwich 14 Nov 2017 10:24:03 3,410 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Maybe it's time for triple A games to cost more, if developers feel that they can't make enough money from current pricing. Or maybe they need to scale back production costs and profit expectations. Tricky.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Nov 2017 10:33:11 752 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Derblington wrote:
    This is what pub's/developers need to work out.
  • oceanmotion 14 Nov 2017 10:35:44 17,269 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Maybe it's time for triple A games to cost more, if developers feel that they can't make enough money from current pricing. Or maybe they need to scale back production costs and profit expectations. Tricky.
    COD made half a billion last week. I don't think they are desperate. It's just shitty practices to make even more money. Enough users haven't pushed back so here we are.
  • the_milkybar_kid 14 Nov 2017 10:41:18 6,161 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, this is Star Wars. Regardless of all this slimy underhanded shit going on, it'll still sell by the boat load. But it rather than treating the core audience with a modicum of respect, they've tried to get away with as much as possible. It can't be that difficult to spin a Star Wars multiplayer game and to generate positive customer feedback. In fact I know it can't, it already happened 12 years ago

• AaronTurner 14 Nov 2017 10:43:35 9,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I preordered it thinking I'd get to play it today. Unfortunately it's only the rich kids that are allowed to.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 14 Nov 2017 11:06:03 1,298 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Yeah, this is Star Wars. Regardless of all this slimy underhanded shit going on, it'll still sell by the boat load. But it rather than treating the core audience with a modicum of respect, they've tried to get away with as much as possible. It can't be that difficult to spin a Star Wars multiplayer game and to generate positive customer feedback. In fact I know it can't, it already happened 12 years ago

Luckily you can play the above online from GOG.com today :D
  • KD 14 Nov 2017 11:38:14 1,810 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They patched the old game and last I heard it was a little broken, did they sort it out?
  • bad09 14 Nov 2017 11:40:51 8,054 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:

Luckily you can play the above online from GOG.com today :D
    Even outside of the disgusting money grubbing it's still a better game to. That's not even rose tinted glasses either, played it after they turned it back on not long after playing the EA/DICE beta and had way more fun! :)
  • bad09 14 Nov 2017 11:45:06 8,054 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KD wrote:
    They patched the old game and last I heard it was a little broken, did they sort it out?
    It seems a few people had matchmaking issues, there's no update from gog since they said they'd look into it so I imagine it's still being looked at.
  • KD 14 Nov 2017 11:48:01 1,810 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @bad09 Cheers, had a minute so found this as well.

However, GOG is in touch with the modding community and are committed to making the software work, despite the trial and error involved. They are currently in the process of doing beta tests on dedicated server support and general fixes to improve stability.
  • bad09 14 Nov 2017 11:58:50 8,054 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @KD

Yeah, a few are getting impatient for news looking at threads on gog, but gog will look after them and the game.

There is GameRanger to if you can't find a game in the meantime, BF2 multiplayer has been working on there since they turned off Gamespy.
  • Page

of 37 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.