Star Wars Battlefront II Page 2

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• funkstar 15 Apr 2017 21:52:34 3,212 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Motive are also working with visceral and amy hennig on the uncharted style star wars game arent they?

That one aint due out til sometime in 2018 though so I guess that's why they are focussing on BF2

Edited by funkstar at 21:54:23 15-04-2017
  • Nades 15 Apr 2017 22:08:39 2,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No season pass is good news. Just hope that doesn't mean weapons behind a paywall.
  • bad09 15 Apr 2017 23:49:15 8,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well no season arse is a start though with EA involved I sense a great disturbance with MTs on that, get your grind on or your wallets out people!

Not sure "resourse based" use of vehicles sounds great but anything is better than the power up icon crap and if your need these resources it must mean the actually have more useful vehicles this time. I can't see how hard it is to have a hanger and vehicles around to use though, it was manged a decade ago and I believe their own Battlefield games can also perform this miracle. Why all these pointless OCD systems that get in the way of simple fun?

Still it's a start I suppose. More eras, no half a game and DLC nonsense (really didn't expect that from a DICE game) and the possiblity of more vehicles this time means it already sounds a lot better than the first reboot.

Edited by bad09 at 23:50:10 15-04-2017
  • funkstar 17 Apr 2017 22:43:41 3,212 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooh, looks like spec ops: the line writer is doing the single player story
  • DangerousDave_87 17 Apr 2017 23:26:30 2,689 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm not sure a campaign is what this game needs. I know that's what some people want from a Star Wars game, and that's fine, but it should be a separate project in my opinion.

The Battlefield games all have horrendous campaigns. Battlefield 4 and Bad Company 2 are brilliant online games, but have some of the worst single player campaigns I've ever played. They feel more like 3 actors trying to drag you through a virtual tour of an over the top war film, stopping occasionally to point out all the 'amazing' set pieces, rather than feeling like an actual game.

I feel this game will only go the same way, regardless of the quality of the plot/script. We'll have a hollow shell of a game that is designed to glue the edges of a short Star Wars film together.

What they should be focusing on is the multilayer element, which needed better map balancing and greater variety beyond a change in scenery.
  • killersrquiet 17 Apr 2017 23:30:18 3,151 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    On the bright side. It's EA Motive handling the campaign and not DICE. There is quite a bit of talent at that studio as well.
  • ChiefGB 18 Apr 2017 00:58:12 7,307 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes but I hope they've put an interesting enough of a twist on it as I can't say I've ever thought "ooh can I play a story from the empires point of view". Hope they haven't thought what can we do, instead of what should we do.
  • Tryhard 18 Apr 2017 01:01:24 12,014 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Motive doing SP.
    Visceral doing MP space battles.
    Dice doing MP ground.

Quite the mix.
  • funkstar 18 Apr 2017 01:05:15 3,212 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    I'm not sure a campaign is what this game needs. I know that's what some people want from a Star Wars game, and that's fine, but it should be a separate project in my opinion.
    It *was* one of the biggest criticism of battlefront 1.

The Battlefield games all have horrendous campaigns. Battlefield 4 and Bad Company 2 are brilliant online games, but have some of the worst single player campaigns I've ever played.
    I thought the bad company campaigns were both pretty great actually.

They feel more like 3 actors trying to drag you through a virtual tour of an over the top war film, stopping occasionally to point out all the 'amazing' set pieces, rather than feeling like an actual game.

I feel this game will only go the same way, regardless of the quality of the plot/script. We'll have a hollow shell of a game that is designed to glue the edges of a short Star Wars film together.
    IMO even the bad battlefield campaigns were technically competent with good gunplay and set pieces (although you apparently didn't like the set pieces, admittedly). Your 'virtual tour'
    feeling complaint is surely caused by a lack of a decent story getting you invested in why you are doing what you are doing, etc.

Getting the spec ops writer in can only help!

What they should be focusing on is the multilayer element, which needed better map balancing and greater variety beyond a change in scenery.
    I think the variety was handled with their DLC, I'm hoping that they have learned from this and that variety is there from the start. We know criterion are working on the space battle stuff which wasn't in the first game at the start, and the fact that multiplayer spans all three trilogy periods gives me hope. Also as killersrquiet says it's motive doing SP so you could argue that they ARE still focusing on the multiplayer element - DICE at least.

Which is all a long post to say there's plenty of reasons to be hopeful about battlefront II but at the end of the day with only a single player reveal and a multiplayer trailer with little gameplay shown we dont really know much at this point and it could be good, it could be total pap :)

Edited by funkstar at 01:17:19 18-04-2017
  • funkstar 18 Apr 2017 01:07:31 3,212 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Tryhard you mean criterion? Although I'm sure Visceral will be helping out in some capacity it's DICE/Motive/Criterion logos on the trailer :)
  • Tryhard 18 Apr 2017 11:47:55 12,014 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @funkstar Criterion of the NFS ilk. It says they did that Star Wars X-wing VR game, which probably got them the nod. Visceral are working on that singleplayer Star Wars title which confused me.
  • shamblemonkee 18 Apr 2017 12:13:50 17,653 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tryhard of Burnout ilk, pssh!
  • funkstar 18 Apr 2017 12:46:58 3,212 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Tryhard yeah Criterion worked on the initial release of battlefront 1 as well (speeder bikes?). Shame they've seemingly been reduced to a support studio. I don't think there's been a hint of their own IP since it was announced at E3 2014.
  • Duffking 18 Apr 2017 12:54:43 14,855 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope they properly rip off the Battlefield games this time. The whole point of Battlefront was to basically monetise all the Star Wars themed BF mods they kept shutting down after all.
  • sherpa1984 18 Apr 2017 13:25:44 726 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely the squad system will be in. That crap buddy system felt like change for the sake of differentiating from Battlefield.

There's no way the class system and buddy system can work together, surely...
  • Derblington 18 Apr 2017 14:42:23 29,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    funkstar wrote:
    @Tryhard yeah Criterion worked on the initial release of battlefront 1 as well (speeder bikes?). Shame they've seemingly been reduced to a support studio. I don't think there's been a hint of their own IP since it was announced at E3 2014.
    There has been a hint - they announced it was cancelled.
    They are still experimenting with their own new IP though, as well as working on this.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Apr 2017 14:48:18 30,728 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sub Culture 2 or Black 2 plz.
  • funkstar 18 Apr 2017 14:48:57 3,212 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    funkstar wrote:
    There has been a hint - they announced it was cancelled.
    They are still experimenting with their own new IP though, as well as working on this.
    heh. that would explain it then :(
  • funkstar 18 Apr 2017 14:51:38 3,212 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Black 2 plz.
  • Duffking 18 Apr 2017 17:06:47 14,855 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did nobody else find Black the most boring FPS that was ever Boring? My favourite level was the grey one where everything was deafeningly loud and had the same 2 enemies as every other level and had loads of ammo pickups for guns you couldn't get on that level.
  • H1ggyLTD 21 Apr 2017 21:14:57 7,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'more opportunities for players to become heroes'

ffs
  • Dirtbox 22 Apr 2017 10:42:55 89,295 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 22 Apr 2017 10:50:24 31,488 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There was enough for my personal tastes :) Sure, I'd have preferred more focus on the big maps, but I never once felt there wasn't enough there for me to enjoy in the base game.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate I'm in the minority so hopefully they'll have more content, but if they did launch with exactly the same amount of maps, powers and weapons I'd be happy enough.
  • Tryhard 22 Apr 2017 10:51:33 12,014 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Is no one concerned that the first one was a little light on content?
    Probably not the ones who bought it. If they didn't mind it then, i doubt it will affect them now.

I'll probably get as far as the open beta like the first one.
  • Dirtbox 22 Apr 2017 10:59:26 89,295 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • H1ggyLTD 22 Apr 2017 11:05:42 7,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The real concern is that half the players are going to be running around as Maul, and they think introducing a class system will be enough to balance it.
  • H1ggyLTD 22 Apr 2017 11:19:31 7,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...and i'll find a way to blame it on the game mechanics.
  • Dirtbox 22 Apr 2017 11:23:05 89,295 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 28 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.