Star Wars Battlefront II Page 10

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• Dgzter 10 Oct 2017 16:09:53 1,531 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty much what others have articulated above, my issue with their 'lootbox' policy is pretty much the conflation of gameplay progression (Star Cards, which directly impact character power/ability) and cosmetic accoutrements, coupled with what appears to be (judging by Angry Joe's video at least) the lack of any sort of competitive meritocracy - i.e. regardless of performance, in an objective sense, everyone seems to be getting rewarded with the same amount of 'progression' points towards unlocking the crates through standard play.

Cosmetic unlocks, which in no way effect gameplay, are fine to be purchased via micro-transactions. I'm not exactly thrilled about it as a business practice, but fuck it: there's no impact on other players, so whatever.

Ability upgrades, unlocks, and character 'progression', whatever that may mean within the context of the game in question, should NEVER be gated behind a system that encourages micro-transactions to circumvent time investment or ability levels. This sort of progression should only be achievable through playing the game itself, with the only modifier being that those playing objectively better than their colleagues are rewarded with higher incremental progress, whether that's in terms of end of round XP or weapon challenges to unlock better guns etc. That ensures that all players have an equal playing-field, and will get there at their own pace in-line with their own ability level.

In other words, the solution should be to have two separate streams: one for cosmetics, where they can go ham with their micro-transaction shite if they so wish, and one for character progression that's tied entirely to playing the game, and does not allow for competitive advantage to be simply bought by those with the inclination (and money) to do so.

There is also a pretty big fucking elephant in the room here concerning the gambling culture of these 'lootboxes' being incorporated within a title, and from a world-famous IP, that is marketed directly at children and impressionable young adults. At the very best it's moral promiscuous; at the worst ethically bankrupt. In my opinion, of course.

Edited by Dgzter at 16:10:22 10-10-2017
  • Ron_Justice 10 Oct 2017 17:07:14 3,105 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:

There is also a pretty big fucking elephant in the room here concerning the gambling culture of these 'lootboxes' being incorporated within a title, and from a world-famous IP, that is marketed directly at children and impressionable young adults. At the very best it's moral promiscuous; at the worst ethically bankrupt. In my opinion, of course.
    Yep, this has the potential to become a very troubling trend.
  • bad09 10 Oct 2017 17:57:28 8,009 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @figgis

Thanks for the tip figgis. I'll look at that.
  • KD 1 Nov 2017 07:31:41 1,760 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A statement from EA, saying they changing a few things after the feedback.

They didnt take loot crates out so wont be getting it myself, bit unrealistic to hope for I know but will happily wait til EA access has it.

Edited by KD at 07:32:05 01-11-2017
  • neems 1 Nov 2017 07:52:34 3,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'd imagine it would cut into the 'parents buying for their kids' market once they start getting hits on their credit card.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Nov 2017 08:07:56 30,742 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did they get rid of the prequel stuff?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 1 Nov 2017 09:16:27 31,501 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It does sound a little better. Weapons being unlocked by progression is a big one for me, as I got a weapon in the beta that felt so unfair. I was killing people that had outplayed me, which didn't really feel fun.

Not enough for me to buy it though. The beta just reminded me how much I liked the first one, and I've been playing old BFII for prequel stuff.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Nov 2017 09:25:57 30,742 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The beta managed to utterly kill off all my enthusiasm for this. And I liked the first game and love practically everything Star Wars. Impressive. Most impressive.
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2017 09:29:56 22,014 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, using a prequel map for the beta maybe wasn't the smartest move. I'm still hyped for it, though. Mainly because the new campaign should be a decent seven hour distraction and you just know that the pew-pew in the episodes 4-8 settings are going to be just as good as before.

The pew-pew in the 1-3 settings will also be good, but will lack any nostalgia tinged resonance for me.
  • ChiefGB 1 Nov 2017 10:40:24 7,313 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some of the visuals in the latest trailer do look epic for me. Despite the fact I was far from impressed with the beta I imagine the final game will be much improved and it's all too iconic for me to miss out. Also improvements to the lootboxes help me see that they are willing to make changes and we know dice won't just send it out and not tinker more after. The campaign being announced at 5-7 hours is a bit worrying though (likely means it's shorter than that).

But god damn it, it's Star Wars.
  • Dee0342 1 Nov 2017 11:55:30 7 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm a bit conflicted about this game. I really have an itch at the moment to play some multiplayer shooter on my xbox one and this looks pretty good but is already being overshadowed by the whole lootbox/pay2win issues. Call of Duty on the other hand is probably no better in the long run with it's lootboxes and that game keeps using a p2p/dedicated server hybrid, which never really worked for me.

What to do?
  • uberbeard 1 Nov 2017 11:57:27 1,469 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dee0342 Also, there's every chance the new Call of Duty will match you with people who are better than you so you're tempted to think they've got weapons you need to purchase.
  • Dee0342 1 Nov 2017 12:01:03 7 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    uberbeard wrote:
    @Dee0342 Also, there's every chance the new Call of Duty will match you with people who are better than you so you're tempted to think they've got weapons you need to purchase.
    I take it you are pointing at that parent Activision registered? Is there any evidence it has been or will be implemented in Cod:ww2?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 1 Nov 2017 12:05:30 31,501 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They've already said it isn't. Specifically in regards to the patent for that technology:

"This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios. It has not been implemented in-game."

Sure, they might be lying, but that's a different issue which I'd expect people to call them out on as soon as they notice it.
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Nov 2017 12:12:11 6,111 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Missed the beta, only read the reports and the Angry Joe video about the lootboxes / massive amount of time required for grinding / how rewards were distributed.

Please excuse my ignorance but I've had a quite scan through the thread. Has any of this been rectified or revised? Surely they must of heard the backlash?
  • Dee0342 1 Nov 2017 12:13:18 7 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    They've already said it isn't. Specifically in regards to the patent for that technology:

"This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios. It has not been implemented in-game."

Sure, they might be lying, but that's a different issue which I'd expect people to call them out on as soon as they notice it.
    Well I guess that is not an issue (yet) then but I am not really on to be swayed easily by purchasing these lootboxes/microtransactions becauseI just want to have some online fun once in a while with a shooter. I'm not really interested in becoming to invested anyway.

Edited by Dee0342 at 12:13:43 01-11-2017
  • Derblington 1 Nov 2017 12:20:40 29,676 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid
    4 posts from the top of this page.
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Nov 2017 12:26:05 6,111 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How embarrassing.
  • KD 8 Nov 2017 17:33:58 1,760 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Downloading the trial on Origin, see whats its actually like.
  • cheese101 8 Nov 2017 21:39:15 725 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Assume nobody is buying this after the first one?

Is that stone mountain 64 being given free candy by Dice or something? Constantly over hyping the game. Id be happy if they have actually put a bit more substance to the mechanics in this one but at this rate with Dices track record over the past couple of years this is probably gearing up to be a real stinker.
  • Malek86 8 Nov 2017 21:40:02 6,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How much of the campaign can be played in the trial, if any?
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Nov 2017 21:47:20 6,111 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Big Star Wars fan. Given we don't get a great deal of games I'm going to struggle turning this one down. Enjoyed the first one. Even with a 50 fucking quid season pass which was 25 quid more than I paid for the game.
  • Saul_Iscariot 8 Nov 2017 21:49:58 2,952 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love Star Wars, but I am not purchasing this until I find out whether the pay to win shizzle is true or not. I loved Dices' BF1, and hoped that this would be an improvement on it. But I have concerns about it so will wiat and see.
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Nov 2017 22:02:01 7,739 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    First game was pretty epic.

Grafix seem to have been nerfed a bit though. Presentation, too.

No campaign, Malek.

You assumed wrong, Cheese.

Edited by H1ggyLTD at 22:02:14 08-11-2017
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Nov 2017 22:02:27 7,739 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And the loading times are long.
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Nov 2017 22:03:40 7,739 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In fact i think it must have crashed, here.

(after quitting out of mp)
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Nov 2017 22:04:12 7,739 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    (xbox)
  • Derblington 8 Nov 2017 22:13:18 29,676 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot

P2W is all gone.
  • SiroccoJetProp 8 Nov 2017 22:14:02 107 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    First game was pretty epic.

Grafix seem to have been nerfed a bit though. Presentation, too.

No campaign, Malek.

You assumed wrong, Cheese.
    I've been playing the campaign in the trial...

And graphics on XB1X, at least, are amazing

Edited by SiroccoJetProp at 22:14:55 08-11-2017
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Nov 2017 22:29:58 7,739 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, it was greyed out when i looked?
  • Page

of 34 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.