Star Wars Battlefront II Page 9

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• Baihu1983 9 Oct 2017 21:07:17 9,312 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    @H1ggyLTD

Not only that, from what I've read, they are absolutely raking in on the aptly named shark cards.
    Hence the SP dlc being scrapped and used for online
  • nickthegun 9 Oct 2017 21:15:52 71,901 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just can't be arsed with it. I've stopped buying games if it takes more than a glance to work out which version to buy and now anything with a loot box is done.

Injustice 2 tested my patience to the limit and you didn't really even need to grind for them.

I didn't buy toys from Argos because I wanted to know which action figure I'm getting, so these can get fucked.
  • Rodney 9 Oct 2017 21:25:56 3,277 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Khanivor

The margins might be smaller on modern games but the sales are a lot higher.

If the market reality is that games aren't profitable at the current price point then publishers should increase the price point, or reign in development budgets, rather than introduce gambling mechanics in games aimed at children.
  • gamingdave 9 Oct 2017 21:26:24 4,681 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Such a shame. I enjoyed bits of the beta, despite being a bit rubbish. But I am simply out if this stays in. I certainly don't have the time for the grind these days, and I'm also certainly not paying for a chance of getting some upgrades I will inevitably need, if I am not going to be completely overpowered by those who do.

Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of people will be aware, and buy it anyway.

F2P models with full price games is simply not on. I'm glad Eurogamer wrote the article on the home page, and I hope more publications do the same. The public really should be made aware that this is going on, so more can vote with their wallets.

Thankfully loot boxes don't appear to have hit Nintendo, and I can't imagine them going that way either, it just doesn't seem them, especially the gambling aspect. So at least I have the Switch for simple fun. That and simple indie titles that haven't forgotten that gaming is supposed to be about fun.
  • nickthegun 9 Oct 2017 21:28:47 71,901 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rabbids v Mario has a load of DLC, though, so the sharp practices are seeping in (albeit in a ubi shaped Trojan horse)
  • VanillaLake 9 Oct 2017 21:29:28 462 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecu wrote:my brain literally cannot process the multitude of enemies, laser beams, grenades, explosions, everything, just constant, almost 100% of the time youíre playing. Spawning in, dying to random explosions and people you canít see against the gorgeous backdrops.
    Yeah and when you shoot somebody and he kills you even though you started shooting first because he has a better weapon...
  • Frogofdoom 9 Oct 2017 21:33:58 6,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If they just made the loot boxes for cosmetics I wouldn't give a shit. People that want that can pay for it and nobody gets overly offended. Giving an actual advantage to people that fancy throwing an extra 100 quid at it is just fucking stupid.
  • bad09 9 Oct 2017 21:38:55 8,007 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    VanillaLake wrote:Yeah and when you shoot somebody and he kills you even though you started shooting first because he has a better weapon...
    Ah so Han did NOT shoot first he just had a starcard greedo didn't!
  • Cosmical 9 Oct 2017 21:50:33 152 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    riceNpea wrote:
    @Cosmical it's not even pay to win that's how bad this game is. It's all a complete lottery. Even if you bought boxes there's no guarantee you'll get what you want, what you don't have already or what you have more than enough of. The whole game is built around RNG gambling. This may be the game the finally gets regulatory bodies to look into the practice of loot boxes in games considering it's the only way to progress in the game. It's such a devious business model that how well or badly you do in the game has zero impact on how many credits you earn. Everybody earns the same irrespective of performance so the grind is fixed; and the cost of everything makes the time required to unlock it all impossible for anyone without 100% free time and even then it would take years.

It's simply breathtakingly greedy how this game has been designed.
    More like destroyed.
  • Cosmical 9 Oct 2017 21:52:05 152 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    And Star Cards?

Fuck me if that's not the campest thing ever.

What is this shit? Sounds like a seventies disco band.

Gotta catch them all! Trade with your friends (not really). Look, I got a rare Luke's cholostomy bag! Wow epic!
  • VanillaLake 9 Oct 2017 22:16:05 462 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    VanillaLake wrote:Yeah and when you shoot somebody and he kills you even though you started shooting first because he has a better weapon...
    What is that?
  • Phattso 9 Oct 2017 23:01:49 21,967 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Rabbids v Mario has a load of DLC, though, so the sharp practices are seeping in (albeit in a ubi shaped Trojan horse)
    That's a bit unfair. The DLC for Rabbids vs. Mario is basically the same sort of deal as Nintendo's own Breath of the Wild. Namely something to tide you over, then in a few months time a single player add on.

It's hardly a new phenomenon, even for Nintendo. It's just that Nintendo (and Ubi in this case, I'd imagine, given how generous the main game was) actually give you something worth the money for the DLC, rather than some utter bollocks wrapped in a crate.
  • erasr 9 Oct 2017 23:05:32 151 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed the beta. Itís good fun and better than the first.
  • LittleSparra 9 Oct 2017 23:22:54 6,995 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    I never spent money in Halo 5.

If i remember correctly, you could pay to get greater access to better vehicles etc?
    You got random one use cards, for one mode. All earnable in game very easily, no eternal passive boosts. Not ideal, tbh, but in practise it very rarely caused anything egregious, if ever. If even that 'mild' form infected proper pure MP, bye bye.
  • Rodney 9 Oct 2017 23:26:49 3,277 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder how Disney will react to their brand being associated with gambling. I've got a feeling this will backfire on EA
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2017 23:50:36 31,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have you seen their mobile free-to-play stuff? They've been sitting happily on that particular money train for a good while now. Not so much on their console games to be fair, but if the licencing deal gives them a decent slice of that loot box money, I'm pretty sure they'll get over it ;)
  • riceNpea 9 Oct 2017 23:59:58 928 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rodney I think it's probably Disney's fault SWBF2 has this loot system and one not more in keeping with other cosmetic type ones in other games. I'm betting they didn't allow they look of the Star Wars characters to be altered to protect the brand. So EA had to come up with this bullshit alternative.
  • Khanivor 10 Oct 2017 01:01:06 43,361 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    riceNpea wrote:
    @Rodney I think it's probably Disney's fault SWBF2 has this loot system and one not more in keeping with other cosmetic type ones in other games. I'm betting they didn't allow they look of the Star Wars characters to be altered to protect the brand. So EA had to come up with this bullshit alternative.
    If you mean the cost of the license that EA has to claw back from people who want all the whizbang of 2017 but none of the costs passed on to them.
  • bad09 10 Oct 2017 07:06:22 8,007 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Khanivor

So you are saying we must endure pay 2 win in a full price game because poor old EA spent a little of its billions to ensure they were the only one making and earning off star wars games? That is the worst corporate apology ive ever seen on here :)
  • bad09 10 Oct 2017 07:10:42 8,007 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    VanillaLake wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    What is that?
    A reference to han shooting first as you mentioned shooting first. It sounded funny in my head anyway..... ;)
  • Benno 10 Oct 2017 08:08:06 11,684 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecu wrote:
    Loot boxes aside, I finally got around to playing the beta. Think Iím getting too old for this shit to be honest. Battlefield used to be more composed and tactical even in big battles, and they gradually upped the tempo with each release and I found it harder and harder to enjoy. Now with Battlefront, itís just a total clusterfuck of shit all over the screen constantly, my brain literally cannot process the multitude of enemies, laser beams, grenades, explosions, everything, just constant, almost 100% of the time youíre playing. Spawning in, dying to random explosions and people you canít see against the gorgeous backdrops. Itís like playing a Transformers film where your senses are battered in to submission and your brain starts to melt out of your ears due to all the crazy shit thatís happening at once. Unfortunately Iím not a teenager any more, I think Iíll stick to games I can keep up with.
    Completely agree
  • the_milkybar_kid 10 Oct 2017 09:37:49 6,079 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @beastmaster Not sure it'll be outrage that causes them to change, they've got away with no end of shit in the past. It'll be if enough people don't put their hands in their wallets. Or buy the game at all.
  • doctor_nick 10 Oct 2017 09:40:26 226 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Beta was definitely underwhelming, not helped by the near-complete lockdown on available locations. But it's still Star Wars and looks it, so I'm looking forward to playing this with my son - offline coop, custom arcade and story mode mainly. If you want a good online MP shooter surely you'd look elsewhere? At least in this one we're going to get to run around Kashyyyk humping Wookies or something.
  • xmassteps 10 Oct 2017 10:33:56 3 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    The idea of putting all progression inside loot boxes is just comically bad. Not even Call of Duty does that, even though it sticks DLC guns in there. It's frustrating that it's become hard to find a game that doesn't have this stuff if you're into multiplayer shooters.

Edited by xmassteps at 10:34:16 10-10-2017
  • figgis 10 Oct 2017 12:17:10 7,675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Started playing the original battlefront 2 on PC last night. With the conversion mod and revised lighting it plays pretty well for a 12 year old game
  • Ron_Justice 10 Oct 2017 12:42:22 3,105 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The RNG 'progress' is already shit enough, but to then tie this into a microtransaction structure, inside a AAA game is utterly abhorrent.

Can't help think that it's partly been done to flesh out the traditional progress content of gun unlocks because there's not enough there to do it traditionally. There's also the restrictions on cosmetics that the lore will introduce because you can't have a dayglow Stormtrooper etc.

Simple fix for all this though, give every unlock in the game a 'crafting material' value and provide a regular, reliable source of those materials. Tie the amount of that material you get to how well your do in game. That way, every 10? games, l can craft an item that l want. I could still get the RNG drops too, but give me a way to purposefully shape my experience.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2017 12:49:51 31,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really hate that cosmetics and star cards are in the same boxes. I bought a couple of boxes with the in-game currency and mostly got MVP stances and emotes. If they're going to force all class progress into boxes, adding the chance to have no progress feels like nonsense.
  • bad09 10 Oct 2017 15:31:19 8,007 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    Started playing the original battlefront 2 on PC last night. With the conversion mod and revised lighting it plays pretty well for a 12 year old game
    It does indeed play very well and its modes are better designed than the new games to :)

Not tried the lighting mod may have to give that a go.
  • foster2007 10 Oct 2017 15:40:06 215 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bargain bin purchase this. Lootboxes.
  • figgis 10 Oct 2017 15:51:18 7,675 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    It does indeed play very well and its modes are better designed than the new games to :)

Not tried the lighting mod may have to give that a go.
    The Ultra Graphics mod 2017 is the one I used.
  • Page

of 26 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.