Destiny 2

• Page

of 22 First / Last

Previous
  • Ror 27 Mar 2017 18:06:56 15,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's official

Am I the only one that thinks 'Destiny 2' sounds silly?
  • Matt36 27 Mar 2017 18:08:48 2,015 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just seen that on the book of faces! It would have to be something special to make me play as much as I did the 1st.
  • Graxlar_v2 27 Mar 2017 18:14:20 6,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    :( thought there was new information

Edited by Graxlar_v2 at 18:16:24 27-03-2017
  • Ror 27 Mar 2017 18:14:50 15,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I put about a hundred hours into the first game - not much compared to those that really got into it, but it did do some things I liked. TTK was an improvement, for sure. I do hope this one's better.

And that it's not really called Destiny 2.

EDIT Sorry for disappointing you, Grax.

Edited by Ror at 18:15:40 27-03-2017
  • Phattso 27 Mar 2017 18:16:47 21,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd imagine this'll be more like the game they intended to make, before they realised their engine wasn't finished, their content wasn't finished, and their publisher ran out of patience.

It's still easily my most played PS4 game, despite its issues. Sublime gunplay. Really moreish gameplay. I'm excited to see what they've done, although I think for my own sanity I might steer clear. :)
  • Graxlar_v2 27 Mar 2017 18:17:50 6,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    No worries, I have spent more time with destiny 1 than with any other game so although I was burnt out from 1 I am really looking forward to 2.
  • JiveHound 27 Mar 2017 18:46:47 7,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    600 hours in Destiny

I fear Destiny 2
  • Mfolf 27 Mar 2017 18:46:48 870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Great news. This has that superb halo feel which halo lost years ago. So hopefully that continues.
  • Derblington 27 Mar 2017 19:02:19 28,648 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd still like to get the Platinum in Destiny but I need to do the raid with no-one dying. I dropped before everyone really got to mastering it. I have the TTK collection, I think, but I've never played anything past the base game.

Maybe I'll do that this summer.

I'm not particularly interested in 2 unless they really build a properly diverse social experience. As good as the first was, I guess felt the cracks and repetitiveness quicker than others.
  • Ror 27 Mar 2017 19:05:43 15,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mfolf wrote:
    Great news. This has that superb halo feel which halo lost years ago. So hopefully that continues.
    I'm guessing you mean the atmosphere/sense of mystery, rather than gameplay feel?

Edited by Ror at 19:05:57 27-03-2017
  • Graxlar_v2 27 Mar 2017 19:09:46 6,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    600 hours in Destiny

I fear Destiny 2
    Roughly the same amount for me. I recently had PlayStation tell me what my stats have been since I joined it in 2008 and the game I played most on the PS4 is witcher 3 at 103 hours. So I have played destiny 6x as much as the second closest game
  • Mfolf 27 Mar 2017 19:12:27 870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Ror wrote:
    Mfolf wrote:
    I'm guessing you mean the atmosphere/sense of mystery, rather than gameplay feel?
    Nah gameplay. Think it was Halo 4 where it just felt off. Having grown up on nothing but halo and absolutely adored the feel of it I was gutted when H4 came out. Short time with 5 made it clear that this wasn't a blip either. But Destiny nailed it.
  • ChiefGB 27 Mar 2017 19:14:25 6,752 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trailer would be nice, or do we have to pay for that??
  • Ror 27 Mar 2017 19:19:52 15,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mfolf wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Mfolf wrote:
    Nah gameplay. Think it was Halo 4 where it just felt off. Having grown up on nothing but halo and absolutely adored the feel of it I was gutted when H4 came out. Short time with 5 made it clear that this wasn't a blip either. But Destiny nailed it.
    In what sense? Genuine question, by the way, not after an argument. In terms of gunplay, Halo is still the only game that feels like Halo. In that sense, Destiny is closer to something like Call of Duty, with ADS and the movement/aiming penalties that come with it.

For my preferences (consistent aiming at all times), Destiny doesn't come close to Halo 5.

Again, not looking to start an argument or impose my opinion on anyone else (and I know from experience elsewhere that conversations around this topic can quickly turn into a complete shitfest) - just curious.

EDIT Actually, sod it, ignore this. This is the Destiny 2 thread, not the 'which style of aiming do you prefer' thread :)

Edited by Ror at 19:21:49 27-03-2017
  • Graxlar_v2 27 Mar 2017 19:21:07 6,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Ror I think it is more the holy trinity and 30 second gameplay loop that bungie are so good at.
  • TolandsRancour 27 Mar 2017 19:23:09 1,897 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I for one look forward to seeing loads of people that don't like the game, won't buy the game and never to have played the game waffle on about how bad it is and how Activision are destroying the world...

I've missed that for the past few months.
  • Ror 27 Mar 2017 19:25:20 15,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Graxlar_v2 See, I don't agree with that either! :D From my experience, you've got mainly fodder enemies with a bit of back-and-forth, hide-and-seek AI, or bullet sponges. Bear in mind I haven't played since TTK though, so I may well be hideously out of date, but I've never seen anything out of the AI like you'd get out of, say, the Halo Reach Elites. Those fuckers were scary!

Don't get me wrong, I do like the way Destiny plays - I think it handles really well. I just prefer the consistent aiming in Halo.

Anyway, as above, I don't want to derail!
  • LittleSparra 27 Mar 2017 19:30:28 6,347 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Destiny gutted the 'trinity' with recharging grenades, melee being far less effective (because health bars), and ADS slowing everything down versus hip-fire. Not to mention the vehicles were boring and poorly integrated, other than the Sparrow, which was purely for transport. That's not to say it was bad or unsatisfying, not at all, but they are self-evidently extremely different combat systems. Destiny added in the 'special melee' (e.g. Hunter knife throw), that was cool, and of course the Supers added something.

If Destiny 2 is better at providing more varied content more swiftly, and they loop progress/rewards/incremental challenge etc better, definitely be interested. They'll have to totally rethink 'PvP' to make me bother with that side though, but I'm in a minority that likes H5 Arena more than Battlefield et al.

Edited by LittleSparra at 19:33:50 27-03-2017
  • Malek86 27 Mar 2017 19:31:29 5,716 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Destiny doesn't feel much like Halo tbf. But what it does, it does really well. The content was the problem. Still, if the new beta is good, I might pick it up regardless. Depends on when it's coming out.

I decided to cancel my PS+ subscription, but since there's no character transfer, I'd just pick it up for X1 this time. Unless... I wonder if a PC version is on the cards too.
  • Mfolf 27 Mar 2017 19:34:04 870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Ror wrote:
    Mfolf wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Mfolf wrote:
    In what sense? Genuine question, by the way, not after an argument. In terms of gunplay, Halo is still the only game that feels like Halo. In that sense, Destiny is closer to something like Call of Duty, with ADS and the movement/aiming penalties that come with it.

For my preferences (consistent aiming at all times), Destiny doesn't come close to Halo 5.

Again, not looking to start an argument or impose my opinion on anyone else (and I know from experience elsewhere that conversations around this topic can quickly turn into a complete shitfest) - just curious.

EDIT Actually, sod it, ignore this. This is the Destiny 2 thread, not the 'which style of aiming do you prefer' thread :)
    haha don't worry. Not a touchy subject for me or anything but I'm afraid I can't really help with specifics (as it's been a while). H4 just didn't feel right to me. Didn't get the utterly sublimes fluidity that I was always used to. Can't really explain it beyond that. But I know after years and years and must be thousands of hours of Halo. Destiny has it and H4 and (the small amount I played of) H5 absolutely did not. Technically it may have but it really didn't feel right.
  • Graxlar_v2 27 Mar 2017 19:37:02 6,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Ror oh, the AI is nothing compared to halo no. I didn't want to say that. What I meant was at its basis its gameplay loop is similar to bungies work on halo and where halo 4 fell a little was it extended the loop to larger battles.

I much prefer halos combat but destiny has better social integration which brought me back for more. Also for me halo 5 has the tightest gunplay
  • Ror 27 Mar 2017 20:18:13 15,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did mean to touch on nades and vehicles as well, but got a bit bogged down with aiming and AI, then started thinking, "actually, stop derailing you spanner!" Sparrows had basically said everything I wanted to say though, so I'll just point at his post and say, "Yeah, that."

@Mfolf All good. I know some people get a bit passionate about this stuff, and while I recognise I have fairly strong opinions myself, I know they're just that: my own opinions/preferences.

I can see where you guys are coming from wrt to the flow of gameplay. I guess for me that's just so tied up in the base mechanics that those are the parts that have the biggest impact on my gameplay experience.

For Destiny 2, I'm basically in the same place as Sparrows. There's no chance of me being hyped up for this like I was the first one, but I'm certainly interested to see what they have to show.
  • cov 27 Mar 2017 20:41:35 1,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    MEGA HYPED YAY

sod the naysayers and halo can eat my shorts :)

no way am I admitting hours on destiny erp

TELBOI WHERE ARE U???
  • Mfolf 27 Mar 2017 21:03:27 870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I dunno. You could bring in the CoD guys or BF guys to make the next Halo. Ticking all the boxes with grenades, loadout etc. So technically another halo. But if it doesn't have the feel of halo it's just another shooter. Which (imo of course) 4 and 5 were. Destiny, despite being a completely different game with different technical specifications gameplay wise, had that feeling.
  • Switch024 27 Mar 2017 21:22:19 1,774 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I agree with you here Mfolf, it's the Bungie secret sauce, it just feels great to play.

Halo 4 and 5 are good but it's not got that feel that the Bungie games have.
  • telboy007 27 Mar 2017 21:26:07 1,924 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Last City is on fire mother fuckers.
  • H1ggyLTD 27 Mar 2017 21:33:29 6,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Swerve.
  • Ultrasoundwave 27 Mar 2017 21:38:08 5,465 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been on and off with Destiny since launch. Played it (almost exclusively) for the first 6 months then drifted away, only coming back when the expansions were released.

Its a good, solid game that was a few steps short of greatness.....I absolutely think the capability is there for a truly great Destiny game though.

Let's hope 2 is it!

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 21:39:26 27-03-2017
  • LittleSparra 27 Mar 2017 22:06:44 6,347 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    telboy007 wrote:
    Last City is on fire mother fuckers.
    Yeah i saw that. Maybe the Traveler splooged everywhere?
  • Ror 27 Mar 2017 22:13:18 15,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember when they first gave details about the Last City and I thought, "wouldn't it be awesome if one of the missions is an alien incursion into the city, with you fighting street by street to push them back, saving pockets of civilians as you go, flinging space magic all over the shop!"

It would have been good to at least explore it, and see what you're fighting for. Maybe in 2.
  • Page

of 22 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.