Call Of Duty: WWII (COD 2017) Page 3

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Tryhard 27 Apr 2017 09:25:46 12,014 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If i could drive a Sherman or Tiger tank in mp maybe.
  • the_milkybar_kid 27 Apr 2017 09:30:21 6,095 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm glad games are finally able to re-intact an Omaha style beach landing. I'm also glad that they remember the American's single-highhandedly fighting the war against the Nazi's.

Ugh.
  • solidsneek 27 Apr 2017 09:33:43 379 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think in terms of COD and that way it's gone over the last few years this is a really welcome trailer for me - I spent many an hour playing MW and BLACK OPS, no wall running, no flying, no long slides.

I can't wait to see more game play.
  • Derblington 27 Apr 2017 09:40:37 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find the fact that it's aimed at Americans an odd criticism at this point. It's CoD. Look at their cinematic inspiration and it's all the same (Saving Private Ryan / Band of Brothers) - it's their biggest market.
    To give them some credit, one of their main actors is British so it's not a total wash but it's also not surprising in the least.
  • minky-kong 27 Apr 2017 10:00:27 13,221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks bog standard from the trailer. Pass.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 27 Apr 2017 10:00:40 31,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They keep on saying "boots on the ground", which to me soundde more like the intent was a true return to the very first CoD, which had you fight as UK, US and Russian forces. That's basically what I was hoping for. I realise why they wouldn't want to do that so it's not surprising that they'd focus on one story, but it's still what I'd have liked :)
  • Rodney 27 Apr 2017 10:01:03 3,279 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's be good if they had the campaign split between the Russians/British/Americans again.

Edited by Rodney at 10:14:27 27-04-2017
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Apr 2017 10:25:37 11,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't even remember the last time I shot a nazi. The last COD I bought was 4 I think but I may be up for this if the SP is good.
  • Dgzter 27 Apr 2017 10:33:32 1,531 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I find the fact that it's aimed at Americans an odd criticism at this point. It's CoD. Look at their cinematic inspiration and it's all the same (Saving Private Ryan / Band of Brothers) - it's their biggest market.
    It's an interesting one, certainly. For my part, it is not so such much their strategy to appeal to that specific target audience (which is perfectly understandably, as you rightly point out), but rather just a general fatigue with the overt (and now fairly stereotypical) focus on foregrounding the American role within the context of WW2. Now, of course, the emphasis displayed in the latter is there to serve the specific purpose of attracting the key demographic in the former, so it is hardly surprising.

I just feel that this is VERY well-trodden ground already, particularly if we will be looking at the sort of set-pieces showcased in that trailer reveal. Indeed, my suspicion is that these will all be things we have already seen done not just in the wider genre, but within the COD series itself.

Not sure, really. I guess they are trying to get back to the audiences they may have lost with IW etc. I just feel they could likely have achieved this by, I don't know, maybe a Vietnam focussed title, drawing on films like Platoon and FMJ? But that's obviously just my personal interest etc. :)

Either way that trailer really just looked like a poor man's BF1 to my eyes. An unfair comparison, perhaps, especially when we inevitably get to see more of the gameplay and modes, which will of course be very different in relation to BF1, but first impressions and all that.

I'll be interested to see more though as we get nearer to release.

Edited by Dgzter at 10:34:28 27-04-2017
  • Rodney 27 Apr 2017 10:56:14 3,279 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a large segment of the market who were children when the last high profile WWII FPS game came out.

The whole Saving Pribate Ryan/Band of Brothers style mellow drama is a bit cliche now, but the WWII setting is fresh relative to modern/near future warfare

Edited by Rodney at 10:57:16 27-04-2017

Edited by Rodney at 11:02:57 27-04-2017
  • Derblington 27 Apr 2017 10:59:50 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The trailer is built for a very specific purpose and audience too though. It's all 'whizzbang' to achieve that. The campaign itself will be more nuanced - Advanced Warfare was pretty good at least.

I don't think the setpiece moments would be vastly different regardless of timeframe between WW2 and the Vietnam war, and that certainly wouldn't fix the American focus. Arguably we've seen a shit load of modern combat stuff throughout the MW series too so where does that leave them? I think they have room to give us something that feels fresh regardless of the very generic WW2 approach they're taking. Arguably that gives them more opportunity to amaze us if they can do something a bit unique.

I'm not blown away by the trailer at all but it's a change up. I'm curious about how they'll pull off the MP but I expect, at the least, it'll be a value package when all is said and done.
  • Rodney 27 Apr 2017 11:12:05 3,279 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope they don't try and shoehorn modern COD gameplay into a WWII skin.

They'd be better off slowing the gameplay down for the bolt action rifles and giving the automatic weapons plenty of kickback and spread. It might make the game a bit more tactical.

Some more open level design would be good too. Having to clear a bombed out village but being able to approach it from any direction or Street could add a bit more depth.

Also, they really shouldn't have all the Michael Bay 'war is awesome' set pieces and try to force a load of 'war is hell / press x to pay respects' cutscenes in between.

I know it will just be the same old shit in a WWII skin, but maybe someone at Activisiom has realised it's the gameplay itself that is stale, and changing the setting alone won't fix that.

Edited by Rodney at 11:13:51 27-04-2017
  • Bloobat 27 Apr 2017 11:21:07 930 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd just love to see a breakthrough regards loading times and menu experience etc.
    Driveclub for example was the first game to me that felt truly next gen, loading every race in under ten seconds felt so good and if cod could pull that off it make a much bigger difference to the experience than something like this hub area they're peddling.

Killzone SF aswell actually was great launched to main menu from xmb in like 4 seconds.
  • Rodney 27 Apr 2017 11:24:54 3,279 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's a really strange thing to prioritise.
  • Derblington 27 Apr 2017 11:29:22 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think it is the gameplay that's stale at all, and changing all of those things is really moving away from all the strength's of the franchise. If you don't like them, play BF or another alternative.

This will still be CoD at the end of the day.
  • Rodney 27 Apr 2017 11:52:12 3,279 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    COD's declining sales and shrinking online player-base suggests people are becoming tired with the formula.

I'm thinking more tweaking the formula rather than making a completely new game with no connection to COD.
  • Derblington 27 Apr 2017 12:00:09 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BlOps3, the title before last, was the best selling title of 2015, and of the generation for a while (it may still be, I don't know). It significantly outside the two previous titles. Even Infinite Warfare, which sold less than BlOps3, was still top of the download chart for 3 months running over Xmas. It's still incredibly successful.

Edited by Derblington at 12:01:54 27-04-2017
  • solidsneek 27 Apr 2017 12:07:06 379 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    As long as it has COD on it - it's going to sell.
  • brokenkey 27 Apr 2017 12:07:56 9,085 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rodney wrote:

I'm thinking more tweaking the formula rather than making a completely new game with no connection to COD.
    What do you mean by this?
  • D_Mantis 27 Apr 2017 13:10:41 483 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    'I'll wait until the reviews are out' - said by me, every year since Modern Warfare 3 came out(2011).

Haven't bought a COD since 2011.

Face it, the sales may be dwindling but COD is still selling huge numbers. This franchise is going to go the way of Guitar Hero. For you younger lot, that basically means it's going to be run into the ground and consigned to the dustbin of gaming history. Then in 10-15 years time it will be resurrected for a new generation who don't have the memories of the past.

The market will eventually provide better FPS's to satisfy all our needs. It sort of all ready has in TitanFall and Battlefield is always around to compete. Cod will need it's sales to fall even further, then all of a sudden it will die like Guitar Hero did.

However, I think this year they've given it a shot of adrenaline in the heart. I see COD: WW2 as the franchises second wind. I think this year it is going to review well and the sales will see a surge from last year. Then they will continue along with the mid 20th century conflict trope for a while, then hopefully it will just keel over.

I don't see it having long left, maybe another 3 or 4 years before people are sick of it.
  • solidsneek 27 Apr 2017 13:22:18 379 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    D_Mantis wrote:
    'I'll wait until the reviews are out' - said by me, every year since Modern Warfare 3 came out(2011).

Haven't bought a COD since 2011.

Face it, the sales may be dwindling but COD is still selling huge numbers. This franchise is going to go the way of Guitar Hero. For you younger lot, that basically means it's going to be run into the ground and consigned to the dustbin of gaming history. Then in 10-15 years time it will be resurrected for a new generation who don't have the memories of the past.

The market will eventually provide better FPS's to satisfy all our needs. It sort of all ready has in TitanFall and Battlefield is always around to compete. Cod will need it's sales to fall even further, then all of a sudden it will die like Guitar Hero did.

However, I think this year they've given it a shot of adrenaline in the heart. I see COD: WW2 as the franchises second wind. I think this year it is going to review well and the sales will see a surge from last year. Then they will continue along with the mid 20th century conflict trope for a while, then hopefully it will just keel over.

I don't see it having long left, maybe another 3 or 4 years before people are sick of it.
    I disagree, it makes HUGE amounts of money this is going to end soon just like FIFA, BATTLEFIELD, COD. If they get this right (I think they will) it's going to go from strength to strength.
  • Derblington 27 Apr 2017 13:24:18 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Even if the total player base split into thirds, so each 3 year cycle game gets approximately a third of the sales of each current title, you're still likely looking at around 10 million sales per title (lifetime, probably more).

That would keep them selling for another decade.
  • Duffking 27 Apr 2017 14:26:06 14,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rodney well if nothing else, no auto health regeneration is confirmed for this one
  • superbob85 27 Apr 2017 14:31:37 7,979 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Find myself looking forward to a cod game for the first time since black ops 2. Felt the series has gone sideways every year since.
  • Nades 30 Apr 2017 22:55:35 2,899 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    COD's declining sales and shrinking online player-base suggests people are becoming tired with the formula.

Isn't that pretty much what they're doing? They're bringing it back to what it used to be so its definitely connected to CoD with this years release.
  • jimnastics 1 May 2017 09:06:39 1,104 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I absolutely loved BF1942, that and CS 1.x were the pinnacle of my online gaming back in the early noughties. I enjoyed the original CoD and Medal of Honour, but not as much, and I've been hankering for a decent modern tech WWII online FPS for the past decade. I'm very excited.
  • Nades 1 May 2017 10:04:09 2,899 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Should be good. Interested to see what kill streaks theres going to be.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.