Titan Quest - new Diablo style game

• Page

of 21 First / Last

Previous
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 May 2005 15:13:32 35,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    With Diablo 3 not even announced yet, "Titan Quest" has caugth my attention. It's a Diablo style action RPG by a new studio formed by one of the fathers of the Age of Empires series, Brian Sullivan.

screenies

Looks very promising, but we know how hard it is to create that magic Diablo feeling.

Developer's homepage with more info, also leading to the game's official homepage (not much to be seen there yet): Ironlore
  • MikeD 27 May 2005 15:14:59 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Looks very promising, but we know how hard it is to create that magic Diablo feeling.

Repeatedly shoving a cactus up my rectum does it for me.

Still, this might be nice. If they release a demo I will try it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 May 2005 15:16:23 35,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was wondering how long it would take before someone who didn't "get" Diablo would feel the need to comment.

It was shorter than I expected. ;)
  • MikeD 27 May 2005 15:18:30 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I aim to please. :-)

Oh and I "got" it alright. I got a hefty dose of RSI from that game....
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 May 2005 15:23:40 35,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, no wonder you don't remember it too fondly.

Nah, seriously, I fully understand people who hate Diablo. It has to "click" with you (see what I did there), and then it's just a dream. First time I played through Diablo 2 it was like taking drugs, seriously, but I fully understand if people think it's repetitive and boring (well, not really, but I pretend to understand them). ;)

What I like about the screenies of Titan Quest is that they seem to go for an isometric look like in the old 2D games, even if it's a 3d game. I am craving for such a game.
  • marilena 27 May 2005 15:25:54 8,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I 'got' Diablo, but I didn't like any of it's clones. They never work for me, somehow.

This one looks good but, for some reason, the setting seems wrong to me. You're going to hate me for this, but I'd much rather have a gameset in a generic fantasy world rthar than one set in mythologic Greece.
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 May 2005 15:29:54 35,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I 'got' Diablo, but I didn't like any of it's clones. They never work for me, somehow.

Same here. Sacred being the latest example. It did work for a while, but nor long enough.

This one looks good but, for some reason, the setting seems wrong to me. You're going to hate me for this, but I'd much rather have a gameset in a generic fantasy world rthar than one set in mythologic Greece.

Now this I really don't understand. Sounds great to me:

The player quests throughout the ancient world in a race to uncover the secrets needed to once again imprison these ancient gods. Journeying to fabled locations such as the Parthenon, the maze at Knossos, the Great Pyramids, and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the player will have to overcome terrifying monsters and mythical beasts.

This gives them the opportunity to create some amazing setpieces. The Knossos maze? Count me in!

Edited by UncleLou at 15:29:46 27-05-2005
  • MikeD 27 May 2005 15:48:49 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, I didn't really get RSI. :-)

But there is one bad side effect Diablo had. It kept me from RPG's for years. The genre didn't have the biggest interest from me anyway. And after playing Diablo I was convinced that, since this was one of the most popular examples, all these games must be this repetitive and dull.

Pretty stupid, I know. But I was young. :-)
  • marilena 27 May 2005 16:23:08 8,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    You're going to hate me for this, but I'd much rather have a gameset in a generic fantasy world rthar than one set in mythologic Greece.

Now this I really don't understand. Sounds great to me.

The idea is interesting. I just ... have something against ancient Greece as a setting for a game. I don't know why. I must have been traumatised by Will Rock. :)
  • MikeD 27 May 2005 16:41:26 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    I don't know why. I must have been traumatised by Will Rock. :)

Didn't like it?

I thought ti was pretty decen,t as those games go. Biggest problem being that there was no mouse acceleration. It actually gave me a bit of RSI.

But for the rest it was fine and fun in co-op.
  • Day 27 May 2005 16:42:21 313 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    First time I played through Diablo 2 it was like taking drugs, seriously, but I fully understand if people think it's repetitive and boring (well, not really, but I pretend to understand them). ;)

yup, same here... I forget how many late nights/early mornings my g/f and I have spent playing and re-playing co-op Diablo 2, such a great game.

Just got Sacred Plus as a filler in the mean time, its ok but buggy as hell in co-op.

Edited by Day at 16:43:40 27-05-2005
  • marilena 17 Jun 2005 15:12:56 8,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I kept saying that Diablo 2 is a big dissapointment until I realized I had been playing it for two solid months without even taking a look at another game :).

As for Will Rock, I hated the way it looked, it was gross in a way. I just didn't get on with it at all. And shooting felt sluggish.

But what I actually came in this thread to say is that you can find a preview of Titan Quest at Action Trip. It's looking more and more interesting, I admit.

Edit: Action Trip. I meant Action Trip.

Edited by marilena at 15:14:33 17-06-2005
  • Dr.Haggard 17 Jun 2005 15:52:24 4,149 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I recently picked up the D2 expansion for a couple of quid, thinking it'd be nice to at least replay the original game with the higher resolution afforded by installing the expansion pack (AFAIK).

Haven't got around to it yet though, I never really got into D2 when it came out, but I wish I had. It's one of those games I should love but it just didn't click, and I got bored after a few hours. I'm debating whether or not to give it another go.

Titan Quest certainy looks pretty, look forward to a demo.
  • Nemesis 17 Jun 2005 15:59:47 18,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The only thing I found worth playing after Diablo2 to get that....Diablo2 feeling was...........Diablo2. Oddly enough. I tried to like the others, but why play an imitation when you can play the Daddy of all OCD Games.

/nabs another potion.

I funny thing about D2 is you can now single-click a monster and you're character will chase him about. BUT I still ignore this and give it clickclickclickclickclickclickclick because it just feels right.

Still, that wannabe looks alright, but I suspect you will return to the Master Of OCD.
  • Fozzie_bear 17 Jun 2005 16:33:14 15,498 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    I funny thing about D2 is you can now single-click a monster and you're character will chase him about. BUT I still ignore this and give it clickclickclickclickclickclickclick because it just feels right.

\o/ It wasn't just me then! Clicking and holding didn't seem right did it? Bit like using autofire on the old competition pro joysticks - just not cricket.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Nemesis 17 Jun 2005 16:48:41 18,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    \o/

The bloody disk is staring at me right now. I can hear it's tempting whisper.

• Fozzie_bear 17 Jun 2005 16:50:19 15,498 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought the add-on disk and started all over again. SO never seen the 5th Act. May have to give it a bash tonight. Loved the game. Shame no diablo 3 on way any time soon, and even biger shame that when / if there is it'll no doubt be MMORPG.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Nemesis 17 Jun 2005 16:52:07 18,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye, but D2 is still fantastic; the add-on gives a whole new level to it. Erm, yeah.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Jun 2005 17:05:55 37,659 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    **clicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyclickety

*deep breath*

clicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyclickety**

I love D2.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Nemesis 17 Jun 2005 17:34:24 18,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oooooooooh you bastards.

Just started it up and....yeah, I'm *BACK*

There are many foes here! Yarrrrrrrrrrrr /leaps
  • gnomelover 17 Jun 2005 18:47:48 65 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    AAhhhhH!! I'd finally purged myself of D2 cravings, damnit! Now you go and remind me!

/runs off to find D2 Install CDs
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jul 2005 15:46:56 35,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Official homepage.

With a nice video, which for some reason seems to be running in slow-motion though.
  • Dirtbox 11 Jul 2005 15:51:31 77,634 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks the business! I'm suddenly very interested :)

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• marilena 11 Jul 2005 15:56:16 8,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In terms of looks it's fantastic, but then so was Dungeon Siege and it bored me to tears. I'm warming to it though, it could turn out to be great.
  • technos 11 Jul 2005 18:49:43 1,345 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, this looks great. I remember seeing the play-test thing of this on gamespot during e3. Very cool. It seems as though they've got the exact same animator(s) as Age of Empires aswell though. Make it stop! Incredibly bad. Needs several more sets of shorter animations, or faster animations.. I'm not completely sure, in any case there is serious wrongness in the animation and interaction between characters there.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jul 2005 18:53:46 35,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The animations in AoE, AoE 2 and AoM were absolutely superb. I honestly don't know what you mean.

The only thing wrong in the video her is that some scenes seem to run in slow-motion. The speed will certainly be different in the final game.

Edited by UncleLou at 18:56:07 11-07-2005
  • technos 11 Jul 2005 19:15:47 1,345 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The actual movement are good high-res skeletal movement, yeah. Nothing technically wrong with them at all, but they just don't look natural and the character interaction isn't handled with any kind of fluidity. I wish they'd experiment more with realistic impact from characters performing action moves on each other. Putting a filter of rag-doll inside the character skeletons that would deviate the model from the actual animation on points of impact.. or something like that.

The comparison is only between the first Age of Empires and this, as I haven't played any of the others.

Looking forward to Age of Empires 3 a lot, watched the developer play-test of that on gamespot aswell. Quite impressive.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Jul 2005 23:08:36 35,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    4 new screenies

It looks absolutely gorgeous, imo - while the art style is nothing special, it's one of the first, if not the first 3d game, that has the looks of a highly detailed 2D game (combined with all the advantages of 3d, naturally).

Take a look at Dungeon Siege 2 in comparison, and how poor it looks.
  • Dragul 25 Jul 2005 23:10:53 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    4 new screenies

It looks absolutely gorgeous, imo - while the art style is nothing special, it's one of the first, if not the first 3d game, that has the looks of a highly detailed 2D game (combined with all the advantages of 3d, naturally).

Take a look at Dungeon Siege 2 in comparison, and how poor it looks.

DS2 uses the same engine as DS1, with a small amount of changes, but not anything significant... and I heard this time it almost has a story... is it true?
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Jul 2005 23:19:58 35,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Coincidentally, I just watched a demo video on gametrailers and read an interview. The combat interface looks much better now, and there were a few multiple choice scenes in the video, but all in all I wasn't too impressed. Not sure there'll be much of a story, to be honest.

And, let me sound like the graphics whore I am, it really looks a bit last-gen (as far as PC games have generations). ;) No bump-mapping or any other shader effects (except on the weapons), no fancy lighting, awful explosions, etc. etc.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last

Previous