Switch eShop Update Thread. Page 14

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• Zyrr 2 Aug 2017 21:40:13 175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    With vertical scrollers finally hitting the eShop, I'd kill for something like this in the near future:

https://twitter.com/fbk86/status/837884397839777792
  • uiruki 2 Aug 2017 21:42:05 4,400 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    500 yen's a good price but control in Strikers felt a frame or two behind - I went to a Neogeo title to check and it wasn't that. Could be me, though - interested to see how others feel.

edit: I'd love to see the Cave shooters on the Switch too, especially if they go the whole hog and include the excellent touch controls from the iOS ports since they're going to stop working very soon!

Edited by uiruki at 21:43:05 02-08-2017
  • brigadier 2 Aug 2017 21:46:44 917 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've never played Strikers before, but it seemed fine to me.
  • uiruki 2 Aug 2017 21:52:01 4,400 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'll have to try it on the big screen tomorrow, maybe compare it to MAME on my PC.
  • rice_sandwich 3 Aug 2017 14:34:56 2,893 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I'll give Gunbarich and Strikers a go tonight. Maybe Slime-san as well. Might even go for Namco Museum too.
  • rice_sandwich 3 Aug 2017 19:02:01 2,893 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tumbleseed has been updated and patched. It's no longer as insanely difficult as it was in the original release. You can still play the original in the adventure mode. I think it's on sale too. Recommended now that it's a bit easier and fairer.
  • uiruki 3 Aug 2017 19:33:49 4,400 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Played some more Strikers, compared it to MAME on my Gsync equipped PC. It's definitely behind that, as you'd expect, but weirdly it seems sharper in response on my TV than it does in portable mode. I also tried two other Strikers games which run on different hardware and they both feel faster too - maybe it's either the MAME driver (though there's no suggestion that Zerodiv used MAME - no credits or copyright screens) or the game itself which has a bit of latency in it.
  • Murbs 3 Aug 2017 22:23:42 23,656 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Tumbleseed has been updated and patched. It's no longer as insanely difficult as it was in the original release. You can still play the original in the adventure mode. I think it's on sale too. Recommended now that it's a bit easier and fairer.
    On sale you say... hmm
  • DangerousDave_87 3 Aug 2017 23:11:29 2,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Quite tempted by Tumbleseed now. How long is it on offer for? Just the week?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 3 Aug 2017 23:57:51 31,399 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was tempted before but was put off by reviews mentioning how difficult it felt, but I read the article on the front page and the post-mortem by the developers and it totally sold me on it. Even if I don't like it, I appreciate when a developer tries to address issues people might've had :)
  • OnlyJoeKing 4 Aug 2017 00:46:58 254 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hadn't heard of Tumbleseed before today, but it looks great! Looks relaxing and challenging at the same time. Bought.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Aug 2017 07:10:17 2,893 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone considering Tumbleseed should be aware that while it's easier and has been rebalanced so that swarms of homing enemies don't kill you in the first 5 seconds (no exaggeration), it is still a challenging game that requires a good amount of skill.

My impression from playing the first of the '4 Peaks' zones is that it feels much, much, much fairer (yes, that much). You still have to navigate between small gaps to avoid falling into pits and avoid or kill enemies. But when I've died I've felt it has been my error and not just the game randomly smacking me down with an impossible to avoid enemy.

No doubt the 4 peaks will become increasingly challenging. I think the idea is that once you complete the 4 Peaks levels you'll be ready to tackle the adventure mode. I haven't tried the adventure mode yet but will do later today to check for differences. The 2p mode feels a little throw away so I wouldn't recommend the game in that respect.

The weekly challenge mode sounds better than a daily one as it gives you time to chip away and improve your score.

All things considered, the update has transformed the game and the devs should be congratulated on producing a well considered update to what was a good but incredibly hard game.
  • RunningMan 4 Aug 2017 07:42:58 2,797 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers @rice_sandwich, going to pick it up now it's on sale. Nice of devs to listen and actually make some of these games easier.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Aug 2017 07:59:24 2,893 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just tried adventure mode and it's still pretty tough but I guess it's supposed to be. Plenty of fun to be found in the 4 peaks mode. The aura powers are a nice addition too. The key to the game is managing the seed powers well.
  • Duffking 4 Aug 2017 09:47:26 14,725 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried the first peak last night and cleared it first go without even getting hit, I'm guessing the subsequent ones are a bit harder but I guess I'll stick with the first until I've beaten the quests.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Aug 2017 09:49:39 2,893 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Duffking

Good going. I had a few tries and only managed to get near the end of the second area of the first peak. I'll hopefully get to the end of it after a bit more practice.
  • Duffking 4 Aug 2017 09:54:38 14,725 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are only 2 areas iirc, so you're pretty close to the end. All the enemies were easily dealt with with the thorns and crystals were pretty plentiful on the way up.

I always found unless I got a really bad start I could usually make it to the forest in adventure, then get fucked up from there. The Auras unlocking in the peaks and choosing one at the start of a run seems quite nice. The first one (don't lose thorns on falling down a pit) will be quite welcome.

Edited by Duffking at 09:54:50 04-08-2017
  • rice_sandwich 4 Aug 2017 10:03:59 2,893 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Good to know. I've completed the first two quests and got a couple of extra auras. Some of the powers are pretty nice but the thorns seem to be the most basic and reliable. Early days with the game but I'm enjoying it a lot more than before. I'm sure the other peaks will be a good bit harder and using more seed powers will come into play and be more important. I keep forgetting about the checkpoint power.

I had a few goes at the weekly mode and made decent progress. It's nice to know that rather than having to play the daily challenge you can take more time and spread out plays.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 4 Aug 2017 10:08:09 1,022 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I am Setsuna is 1/3rd off at the moment. I considered it, but don't think I'm going to bother as I've heard the story is a bit bland and I get the impression it would be "something to get through" rather than enjoy. I've not played Chronos Trigger or whatever its based on, so can just go by the reviews.

Very tempted by Overcooked. Tumbleseed still sounds too tough for me.
  • JoelStinty 4 Aug 2017 10:13:07 5,696 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I liked I am Sestuna. It was a decent 20 hour jrpg. It is rather basic, but i kind of enjoyed it for that, in an era where there is much extra padding in games it was nice to get to grips with a really linear game. Story was nice too with a good cast. I just found it charming.

Nice is the probably the blandest way to say something is good, but i enjoyed my time with it. Saying that i rarely dislike stuff, seem to find some joy out of whatever game i am playing and rarely abandon games.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 4 Aug 2017 10:19:29 1,022 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @JoelStinty Damn! I'm tempted again now...
  • JoelStinty 4 Aug 2017 12:08:09 5,696 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can see why people didn;t enjoy it, but for me it just filled a gap, part of that nostalgia. If you liked JRPGS in the 90's i think it is worth a look at least. If you never been a fan of JRPGs you may find it lacking.

Probably a good title to bag in a sale.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 4 Aug 2017 12:19:09 1,022 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I loved FF7 and Xenoblade Chronicles. Aside from that, I've never really played any aside from Disgaea, which I thought was horrendous.
  • el_pollo_diablo 4 Aug 2017 13:53:04 2,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Picked up Binding of Isaac, Overcooked and Splatoon 2 yesterday.

I need to calm down a bit.
  • StanDarsh 4 Aug 2017 15:58:47 51 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really looking forward to sine mora ex and sonic mania....awwww yeeeeeaaaahhhhh!
  • rice_sandwich 8 Aug 2017 12:26:26 2,893 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Games for the 10th of August:

ACA NeoGeo The King of Fighters 2000 – €6.99 / £6.29 / CHF 9.80

Ironcast – £12.99

Phantom Trigger – £13.49

Rocket Fist – £8.99

Severed – £13.49 (Out now)

Sine Mora EX – TBC (Out now)
  • THFourteen 8 Aug 2017 14:04:09 45,835 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    I loved FF7 and Xenoblade Chronicles. Aside from that, I've never really played any aside from Disgaea, which I thought was horrendous.
    You kind of started at the peak there, hard to follow up on those two :-)

Disgaea is horrible.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Aug 2017 14:14:31 2,893 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Leaving aside the ridiculous fan service elements I enjoyed the Disgaea demo. Tactical RPGs are one of my favourite genres. I'll get it when it goes on sale. Hopefully we'll get some jrpgs on the Switch.
  • Jeepers 8 Aug 2017 14:35:35 16,278 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stop being mean about Disgaea.

:(
  • THFourteen 8 Aug 2017 14:59:10 45,835 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sorry DOOD
  • Page

of 26 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.