Skyrim - Nintendo Switch Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • DrStrangelove 2 Dec 2017 12:08:09 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Ok great, finished that and after a little diversion ended up in Markarth. Seems like there is absolutely loads to do round here!
    Another nice permanent bonus (+10% damage against opposite sex) can be gained from a quest from Markarth.

It involves clearing out a Forsworn fort though, so can be tough on lower levels.

To get it, break into the Temple of Dibella and get caught

Edited by DrStrangelove at 12:27:50 02-12-2017
  • Laserbream 2 Dec 2017 18:21:40 527 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it me or has magic been buffed? Hagravens and that cold orb spell seem like instant death. Hoping the block skill that reduces magic damage will help.
  • DrStrangelove 2 Dec 2017 18:42:23 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't played it on Switch, but on lower levels Hagravens have always been extremely deadly. They cast fireballs which is fairly high-level destruction magic devastating for any low-level enemy.

The upside is they don't seem to level up at all, so on higher levels they become easy prey.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:44:15 02-12-2017
  • DrStrangelove 2 Dec 2017 21:18:47 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One final unasked for tip (sorry), probably the best one:

Get a 25% percent bonus on armour rating* and a supposed bonus on smithing that I'm not sure about what it exactly does (officially, it increases smithing levelling speed).

To start the quest: In Riften, go to the docks, search for a female Argonian and let her give you the Lexicon. This involves clearing out a Dwemer fortress, so forget it on lower levels.

*it was intended to be +25% when wearing Dwarven armour, and that's what the description says, but it's bugged and does the opposite: +25% armour rating when not wearing Dwarven armour. This is what makes this overkill.

This bug has remained in the original game even though an update claimed it was fixed, and it is still there in the remaster (PC), so I suspect it's still there in the Switch version.

So go for it, +25% armour rating is the best bonus you'll get in the game.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:36:22 02-12-2017
  • Switch024 3 Dec 2017 08:56:47 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Thanks for the tips, I'm just doing the one you suggested from Markarth.

Level 16 now and my character is starting to take some shape, heavily invested into one handed swords and light armour. Blocking, restoration and some sneaking about with a bow have also had some love.

Spent a surprising amount of time creating potions so have levelled the alchemy skill quite a bit but yet to put any points into it. I quite enjoy a bit of smithing so may level that up so I can make my own armour although the armour I've been getting from quests seems better than what I can create at the moment.

Edited by Switch024 at 08:58:50 03-12-2017
  • DakeyrasUK 3 Dec 2017 09:13:58 1,219 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Switch024 the best armour is made by enchanting apparel to improve your alchemy, making a potion to improve your enchanting, repeat, then make a potion with super alchemy boosting apparel to improve smithing. Then wear clothes that improve smithing with the potion and smith top tier armour.

On the 360 i did this and had a total armour rating of over 1000. Cant tlremember the exact figure...
  • DrStrangelove 3 Dec 2017 09:26:28 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's an armour cap at 580 or so though, the point at which 80% of damage is absorbed. Going to 600 or above doesn't do anything. So it's possible to reach maximum protection with leather armour.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 09:28:14 03-12-2017
  • GuybrushThreepwood 3 Dec 2017 09:27:52 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @DakeyrasUK I've read about that, but I just couldn't be bothered with it. The game gets easier the longer you play it, so I can't see the need.

One thing I forgot is that buying all the ingredients from an alchemist and then making portions to sell back equals profit and xp. I thought it would be a loss.

I'm beginning to get an appreciation of just how huge the game is. It seems I'd forgotten. I'm lost in a city at the moment.
  • Switch024 3 Dec 2017 12:26:15 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Started doing another quest in Markarth and now I'm in some massive twisting Dwarven ruins. It might have some yank and shows it's age at times but it's still an excellent game to get lost in. Think I've put 15 hours in over the last week.
  • Mfolf 3 Dec 2017 16:50:41 1,563 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Where do you get recipes for actual potions?

One embarrassing point I’ve discovered is that I don’t think I ever used magic once the first time I played it. I think I thought you needed to enable something. I didn’t realise it was just a case of equipping spells you find... and that’s it.
  • Switch024 3 Dec 2017 18:07:44 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mfolf You can buy them in most alchemy stores.
  • Newnameneeded 4 Dec 2017 19:32:01 51 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Loving this so far. Played on 360 as a pure mage. Going for half magic/half one-handed this time. Spent an age with the magic quests last time so doing a bunch of different stuff this time. Loving it handheld.
  • northernlights 7 Dec 2017 19:21:10 941 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    so got this today and have to say it looks lovely on a 4k telly. Immediately changed the controls so the jump is X not Y. Also seems any amiibo works in game. well the mario wedding one did anyway.
  • Zerobob 7 Dec 2017 20:29:09 1,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @northernlights Yeah I still think this is a great looking game all in all. A bit janky around the edges, but very detailed environments and good art direction.

This playthrough I'm concentrating heavily on all things thievery and the Thieves Guild. Playing mainly as an archer with a bit of one-handed. Thought I'd need to rely on a bit of magic, but hardly used any apart from restoring health. Magic just seems to get in the way of the archery and swordplay.
  • monkman76 10 Dec 2017 14:39:29 12,030 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How much does your choice of race affect your playstyle? Any recommendations, or races to avoid?
  • DrStrangelove 10 Dec 2017 17:00:47 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @monkman76

Races have no weaknesses, so you can choose any for any playstyle. There is not really a race to avoid, only ones with less useful bonuses. Races have starting bonuses to some skills, which only make a difference in the early game, as you level up rather quickly early on. In the early-to-mid-game, they are largely irrelevant, so I tend to ignore them.

I also tend to not use active powers because they compete with dragon shouts for the button, and can be used only once per day (except for Khajiit night vision). However if you want to use them, very powerful for mages is the High Elves' mana regeneration and for physical combat Orcs' berserker rage. The downside of Orcs is that they don't have any passive ability.

I base my decision entirely on looks and passive abilities. The standout ones are:

High Elf - +50 magicka. Extremely good for any playstyle, but especially for mages, obviously. The strongest race/playstyle correlation in my opinion is High Elves for magic.

Breton - 25% resistance to all magic. Extremely good.

Nord - 50% resistance to cold, very good considering how widespread cold magic is in Skyrim.

Dark Elf - 50% resistance to fire, also very widespread.

Other races' abilities range from so-so to downright useless, so these are the four I actually recommend.

If you do want to factor in the starting primary and secondary skills:

Stealth/theft: Khajiit, Argonian, Wood Elf
    Mage: High Elf, Breton, Dark Elf
    "Heavy" combat: Nord, Orc
    "Light" combat: Redguard
    Imperials are a bit mixed generally, their most noticeable trait is that their primary skill is restoration, which is pretty nice because restoration levels up slowly.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:01:30 10-12-2017
  • erniewhatbert 10 Dec 2017 18:57:11 2,784 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bought and started playing this for the first time, for a handful of hours. I appreciate the achievement and novelty of having such a vast RPG in handheld mode, I just dont feel the love :( I gave up early in Fallout 4 for being clunky so I should’ve known better. I think Breath of the Wild’s standards haven’t helped.
  • monkman76 10 Dec 2017 19:01:43 12,030 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers good doctor.

I've played for a couple of hours and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. It looks good and runs really smoothly.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 10 Dec 2017 20:48:17 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @erniewhatbert I'm just the opposite. I've put a couple of hundred hours into both games and it's skyrim in now playing. I've got the expansion for botw, but I think it will remain unplayed as I'm tired of shrines and I'm wanting dungeons and a plot. Botw was and is bloody good, but Skyrim will give me way way more playtime.
  • erniewhatbert 10 Dec 2017 22:19:59 2,784 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood I’ll give it plenty time to grow on me over the Christmas break!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.