Skyrim - Nintendo Switch Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Zerobob 30 Nov 2017 14:29:56 1,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Really want this but resent paying 50 quid... :/
    You could always buy it from the South African eShop for 36.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 30 Nov 2017 14:59:42 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Skyrim is notoriously buggy, maybe you remember the backwards flying dragons meme from 2012. They kept churning out bugfixes for the original game--which usually introduced just as many new bugs--until it reached its final state over a year after release. They did nothing about the remaining bugs for the remaster.
    Yeah I won't hold them against it, there's so much that's great about the game I can deal with a few bugs here and there, this one in particular just made me laugh.

Tomo wrote:
    I paid about 40 quid for a physical copy from Tesco, it helped that I'd just had a birthday and had been gifted some money by family but for a portable Skyrim I think it's worth it.

I can't see it dropping it price much anytime soon.
    Yeah I paid 42 in Tesco and I'll trade it in after a couple of hundred hours for about 30 I'd have thought. SO not bad for 12 or so.
  • DrStrangelove 30 Nov 2017 15:30:30 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I feel obliged to share this. If you want to get a great bonus early (or anytime) in the game without much effort...

Go to the Temple of Mara in Riften, find Dinya Balu and accept her quest. It's a minor non-combat questline that rewards you with +15 magic resistance permanently and some of the most convincing video game romance scenes you've ever seen.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 15:38:11 30-11-2017
  • DakeyrasUK 30 Nov 2017 17:07:38 1,219 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I jist got this for 45 quid after selling battlefront 2 for 32 quid (having only paid 30 quid... So only feel like i have paid 43 quid for both games!

Anyway just came in here to confess losing the past 3 hrs to this game. Loving it, just got to River run.
  • Zerobob 30 Nov 2017 20:36:20 1,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Thanks for that. All the times I've played through Skyrim and I've never done that quest. Going to give it a bash now.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 30 Nov 2017 21:35:25 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Screw it, I'm off to pop downstairs and get my Switch and play this for half an hour in bed.

Edited by GuybrushThreepwood at 21:35:39 30-11-2017
  • Zerobob 30 Nov 2017 21:40:07 1,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood

Sorry. Had to.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 30 Nov 2017 22:56:58 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Okay... So maybe it was an hour...
  • Mfolf 30 Nov 2017 22:59:12 1,563 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    This is brilliant. Im getting into it in a way I never could in the past. Im getting involved with the story and side quests as opposed to just wandering and looting. Reckon it will be keeping me busy for a while.
  • Tomo 30 Nov 2017 23:16:46 15,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    You could always buy it from the South African eShop for 36.
    Ohhhh. Pretty good.
  • Switch024 1 Dec 2017 09:34:29 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I feel obliged to share this. If you want to get a great bonus early (or anytime) in the game without much effort...

Go to the Temple of Mara in Riften, find Dinya Balu and accept her quest. It's a minor non-combat questline that rewards you with +15 magic resistance permanently and some of the most convincing video game romance scenes you've ever seen.
    Thanks for this, will take a look when I get on later. Progressed through a side quests last night, regarding the companions...

Do I have to become a werewolf to progress through the rest of their quests? I'd rather not make that decision until I'm much later in the game.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 1 Dec 2017 09:42:55 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @DrStrangelove Started doing that quest of yours for the bonus last night. Quite an enjoyable change so far.

This play through I'm trying to be a goodly knight type, so no joining assassins or thieves etc. Riften will be a challenge.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Dec 2017 13:06:09 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Do I have to become a werewolf to progress through the rest of their quests? I'd rather not make that decision until I'm much later in the game.
    Yes, you have to. But you can quit again later if you wish (and even re-enter etc.). If you ignore that beast form ability, it does very little actually (the main effect then is disease immunity, which is why I like keeping it).
  • superbob85 1 Dec 2017 13:08:14 8,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Someone was playing this on the bus earlier doesn't really suit portability in my opinion. Looked pretty good though didn't seem to have any frame rate issues.

Edited by superbob85 at 13:08:31 01-12-2017
  • GuybrushThreepwood 1 Dec 2017 13:13:23 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @superbob85 I think it looks alright in portable mode and it hides a lot of the issues I can see on a bigger screen. One area its not ideal for is spotting secrets and loot in dungeons and dark rooms. I went round a fort I'd cleared in portable mode and noticed a fair few items I'd not been able to see on the handheld screen.

Controls work well though and the game plays well on portable, just hard to see small things in dark rooms.
  • Switch024 1 Dec 2017 13:19:22 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Switch024 wrote:
    Yes, you have to. But you can quit again later if you wish (and even re-enter etc.). If you ignore that beast form ability, it does very little actually (the main effect then is disease immunity, which is why I like keeping it).
    Great thanks, that disease immunity sounds extremely useful.

superbob85 wrote:
    Someone was playing this on the bus earlier doesn't really suit portability in
    Not sure I'd necessarily play it on the bus but the game works perfectly as a portable title. It might not suit short quick bursts of play but for any long journeys it's the perfect game to get stuck into.

I've been almost exclusively playing in handheld mode whilst the wife watches tele, this is time I normally wouldn't be able to play Skyrim and being able to play at these times means I getting more immersed in the game and making way more progress than I usually would.
  • rice_sandwich 1 Dec 2017 13:24:49 3,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I tried it on the tv and I'm not going back to it. For me it's perfect in portable mode. I can polish off a couple of quest bullet points on the way to work and dip in and out of it at any other time. If I stuck to tv mode I'd only have made 10% of my current progress. But that's more of a lifestyle thing and everyone has their own situation.

It can be dark in dungeons but I think that's a design decision. I usually fire up a light if it's too hard to see.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 1 Dec 2017 13:37:38 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    ...ahhh.... torches... there's an idea... :confused:

Edited by GuybrushThreepwood at 13:38:04 01-12-2017
  • Zerobob 1 Dec 2017 13:39:51 1,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Exactly, there's a reason why torches and spells like Magelight exist. It's easy to miss things in dungeons but that's half the fun.

One of the things I truly love about Skyrim is the fact it's almost always worth exploring a dark corner, or looking behind or under something... You can see the level designers at work.
  • Switch024 1 Dec 2017 13:42:42 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There's also a candlelight spell that you can use, the only downside being you can't put it away but it expires after a minute.
  • rice_sandwich 1 Dec 2017 13:47:31 3,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is there any way to get through locked doors apart from picking the lock? I've got a quest where I have to enter a locked house but I'm rubbish at lock picking and there are guards patrolling too. Plus not that many places seem to sell lock picks. I'm sure there are many stores that do but I haven't found them very often.
  • Switch024 1 Dec 2017 13:56:21 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich You can always pickpocket the home owner for the key? If you're crap at it you can buy a potion to improve your skills for a time.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 1 Dec 2017 14:06:45 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I buy lockpicks in every store I go into. With the joycons you can actually feel the change in the joycons buzz when the pick is in the right place.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Dec 2017 14:34:08 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Is there any way to get through locked doors apart from picking the lock? I've got a quest where I have to enter a locked house but I'm rubbish at lock picking and there are guards patrolling too.
    If you have a follower, you can tell them to pick a lock. That consumes one lockpick from their inventory (if they don't have one, you must give them one).

Note that if your follower is seen committing a crime, you will be held responsible.

As for buying lockpicks, usually every smith/armorer/general merchant has a few.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 14:36:01 01-12-2017
  • rice_sandwich 1 Dec 2017 14:59:39 3,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Thanks. I'm about 20 hours in but there are so many things that I'm only just starting to understand. I wouldn't say that the learning curve is high but there's lots of things going on.
  • Tomo 1 Dec 2017 16:08:27 15,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Someone was playing this on the bus earlier doesn't really suit portability in my opinion. Looked pretty good though didn't seem to have any frame rate issues.
    Don't really get this. Any switch titles are good for portability tbh. The Sleep function is perfect.

Games designed with short commutes in mind tend to be gimped games in my experience. Small levels, time limits etc.
  • Switch024 2 Dec 2017 08:32:50 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anybody know if I've messed up a quest? I was doing part of the nettlebane one when some random guy asked to tag along. On route to the place we get attacked by a dragon and the guy was burnt to death.
  • Zerobob 2 Dec 2017 10:10:03 1,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Switch024 No that shouldn't be a problem, it just means that one of the two ways to complete the quest won't be available to you.
  • Switch024 2 Dec 2017 11:42:41 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ok great, finished that and after a little diversion ended up in Markarth. Seems like there is absolutely loads to do round here!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.