Skyrim - Nintendo Switch Page 5

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

  • Switch024 27 Nov 2017 14:31:09 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    How does this run on the switch heard terrible stories about doom.
    It's great, rock solid 30fps. Looks really good in handheld mode too.

    Edited by Switch024 at 14:31:40 27-11-2017
  • Graxlar_v3 27 Nov 2017 14:38:57 771 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    superbob85 wrote:
    How does this run on the switch heard terrible stories about doom.
    It's great, rock solid 30fps. Looks really good in handheld mode too.
    it really does... may need to put it down now though in prep for XBC
  • DrStrangelove 27 Nov 2017 15:07:29 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Do you get a chance to redistribute your points at anytime?
    Not anytime. There are two ways:

    A) After reaching level 100 of a skill, you can "Legendary" it - it is set back to level 15 and all perks points spent there are given back to you, free for redistribution. Your main level progress is unaffected. The point of this is that it allows you to earn more levels and perks than was possible before the update that introduced it.

    B) After completing the Dragonborn questline, you get the ability to remove the perks from any skill tree, making them available for redistribution. This costs one dragon soul per skill tree.


    Switch024 wrote:
    Also, the stuff you get for killing the dragon. Are you good to just sell the lot?
    Mostly yes. Its only use is as a crafting material for Dragonbone/Dragonscale weapons and armour, which needs smithing level 100. Even if you plan to go there, by the time you reach that point you'll have slain so many dragons that you can easily sell a lot of it.

    They're good quick coin earlier on in the game. When approaching higher levels, there's more valuable loot and it may make more sense to store the dragonbone/scale stuff.

    And if you're not into smithing, well just get rid of it.
  • Switch024 27 Nov 2017 15:34:53 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Great, thanks for explaining that for me, appreciate it.

    I've been holding onto that stuff unsure if it was safe to sell them all but they take up a huge amount of inventory space. Need to get the coin together to buy that house so I can store all the crap I pick up. Happy to be able to get rid of them for now.
  • DrStrangelove 27 Nov 2017 17:29:28 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, until you have you first home to store it, by all means just sell that shit.
  • Switch024 27 Nov 2017 23:42:13 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Did the first Companions quest tonight, that and a bit of fannying about in Whiterun meddling in other people's affairs took up the entire night!

    If I couldn't have played in handheld mode I'd have struggled to do half of that.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 28 Nov 2017 04:27:11 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I keep trying to do the main quest, but keep getting side tracked by bandit hideouts. There seem to be loads of them. I then go back to Whiterun and sell up and store stuff in my house and head out again. That's one of the things I like about this, the dungeons. They're a bit samey at times but they're are loads.

    I've not done much in Whiterun. I can't even find who to give a sword to (suspect he's outside the town). Oh and I've got a pet rabbit it seems.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Nov 2017 05:18:20 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:

    I've not done much in Whiterun. I can't even find who to give a sword to (suspect he's outside the town).
    I suspect you have Amren's sword, if so, look out for a black guy in hide armour wandering the streets of Whiterun (inside town).

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 05:21:10 28-11-2017
  • GuybrushThreepwood 28 Nov 2017 05:21:11 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    No I'd a sword for Eurland Grey Mane (the finest blacksmith in Whiterun, so I keep hearing every time I try to buy something from War Maidens).
  • Mola_Ram 28 Nov 2017 05:40:52 16,543 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kill all of them.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Nov 2017 09:13:09 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Skyforge is up the stone stairs to the left of Jorrvaskr (the Companion's building). Eorlund can usually be found there between early midday and evening (if you haven't killed him together with everyone else).
  • rice_sandwich 28 Nov 2017 09:25:50 3,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I accidentally started a huge brawl after punching a guy in an inn. I was trying to convince him to stop annoying a lady. Got killed by nearby soldiers after throwing a wild punch and when I respawned I opted for the cowardly route to pay him off instead.

    Also, I've found a word of power when exploring but don't know how to learn it. The Greybeards taught me a second shout but I've no idea how to learn the one I found.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Nov 2017 09:42:24 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:

    Also, I've found a word of power when exploring but don't know how to learn it. The Greybeards taught me a second shout but I've no idea how to learn the one I found.
    In the menu with the shouts, you have to spend a dragon soul on it. Your count of dragon souls should be displayed in the lower right corner.
  • Switch024 28 Nov 2017 10:46:43 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm genuinely impressed with how well this looks and plays in handheld mode, the only downgrade I've really noticed is the vegetation being a little sparse when you're out in the open (in comparison to the PS4 version) and it draws in closer. In many ways the small screen helps to hide the imperfections, it looks great.

    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I accidentally started a huge brawl after punching a guy in an inn. I was trying to convince him to stop annoying a lady. Got killed by nearby soldiers after throwing a wild punch and when I respawned I opted for the cowardly route to pay him off instead.
    I had a similar moment when I went to brawl with one of the Companions to prove my worth. I had the elf follower with me and as soon as we started throwing punches he fired an arrow and the rest of the Companions kicked off. Had to reload and leave him in the building to stop him causing trouble. Don't know if it was a glitch or not but it was funny.
  • rice_sandwich 28 Nov 2017 12:13:23 3,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    rice_sandwich wrote:

    Also, I've found a word of power when exploring but don't know how to learn it. The Greybeards taught me a second shout but I've no idea how to learn the one I found.
    In the menu with the shouts, you have to spend a dragon soul on it. Your count of dragon souls should be displayed in the lower right corner.
    Thanks. I didn't notice that I had to press Y to unlock, even though it was staring me right in the face.
  • Zerobob 28 Nov 2017 12:22:11 1,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    I had a similar moment when I went to brawl with one of the Companions to prove my worth. I had the elf follower with me and as soon as we started throwing punches he fired an arrow and the rest of the Companions kicked off. Had to reload and leave him in the building to stop him causing trouble. Don't know if it was a glitch or not but it was funny.
    The exact same thing happened to me and I had to reload the game to stop the Companions being hostile to towards me and my follower. I seem to remember the exact same bug when playing the X360 version too. Good to see Bethesda have finally got around to fixing these things before charging £50 for it :)
  • rice_sandwich 28 Nov 2017 12:30:01 3,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    On the plus side:

    Steam Time played: 2 hours (in 6 years)

    Switch Time played: 20+ hours (in 10 days)
  • DrStrangelove 28 Nov 2017 12:35:16 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Thanks. I didn't notice that I had to press Y to unlock, even though it was staring me right in the face.
    Same happened to me, it took ages in my first run until I realised how to use shouts
  • Switch024 29 Nov 2017 21:18:45 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So I've wandered into Falkreath, people have started banging on about vampires and the Dawnguard quest has popped up.

    Should I make it a priority to do this quest? I seem to remember reading that once you get it vampires start wandering around killing everyone.

    Edited by Switch024 at 21:19:08 29-11-2017
  • GuybrushThreepwood 29 Nov 2017 21:32:38 1,383 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Not sure on that as I've never done it. Maybe just play the game the way you want it and see what happens?

    I'm in winterhaven I think it's called. Ulric TraitorCloud has just driveled on for ages and I've added him to The List. He's a right pillock.

    It was too cold to sit in my car today and we don't have a rest area, so I find an empty meeting room and booked it as "Reviewing objectives" and sat in there and played Skyrim and reviewed my objectives...which seemed to involve decimating the inhabitants of a fort. In my defence, they drew first blood :)
  • Switch024 29 Nov 2017 21:39:23 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just don't want the population of my towns and villages getting wiped out by Vampires!
  • DrStrangelove 29 Nov 2017 23:04:51 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    So I've wandered into Falkreath, people have started banging on about vampires and the Dawnguard quest has popped up.

    Should I make it a priority to do this quest? I seem to remember reading that once you get it vampires start wandering around killing everyone.
    Yes. The earlier you finish that questline, the earlier vampire attacks cease, the fewer people are going to die. However, the earlier you do it, the more challenging it is of course (although you get a very powerful follower for most of the time).
  • Switch024 30 Nov 2017 10:35:08 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm still very early in the game, only just about to hit level 12 but I have been solely putting points into my combat skills so I might be alright.

    Did the quest "A Daedra's Best Friend" and had to mission across to the other side of Skyrim which took an absolute age, need to get myself a horse.

    Really enjoying the game but there's some next level jank at times. At one point out in the wild I got attacked by a frostbite spider, as soon as I hit the killing blow it vanished... couple of minutes later a dead frostbite spider falls out of the sky and lands in a heap right in front of me. :)
  • rice_sandwich 30 Nov 2017 10:48:30 3,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There does seem to be a few bugs. I had a quest where I killed the boss but the body disappeared so I couldn't collect the mcguffin.
  • Tomo 30 Nov 2017 11:04:56 15,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    On the plus side:

    Steam Time played: 2 hours (in 6 years)

    Switch Time played: 20+ hours (in 10 days)
    Nnrghh. This is my Steam profile too.

    Really want this but resent paying 50 quid... :/
  • DrStrangelove 30 Nov 2017 11:15:14 11,315 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Skyrim is notoriously buggy, maybe you remember the backwards flying dragons meme from 2012. They kept churning out bugfixes for the original game--which usually introduced just as many new bugs--until it reached its final state over a year after release. They did nothing about the remaining bugs for the remaster.
  • rice_sandwich 30 Nov 2017 11:15:27 3,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tomo

    Well, I've spent about £50 on boxed and digital versions of pc Skyrim over the years. The price per hour played is really high in comparison to the Switch version.

    That's my fault of course but I can't deny that the Switch Skyrim has made it hugely more accessible given my lifestyle and circumstances. It's £50 which is arguably far too much but I don't regret spending it on the Switch version.
  • Switch024 30 Nov 2017 11:23:07 2,107 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Skyrim is notoriously buggy, maybe you remember the backwards flying dragons meme from 2012. They kept churning out bugfixes for the original game--which usually introduced just as many new bugs--until it reached its final state over a year after release. They did nothing about the remaining bugs for the remaster.
    Yeah I won't hold them against it, there's so much that's great about the game I can deal with a few bugs here and there, this one in particular just made me laugh.

    Tomo wrote:
    Really want this but resent paying 50 quid... :/
    I paid about 40 quid for a physical copy from Tesco, it helped that I'd just had a birthday and had been gifted some money by family but for a portable Skyrim I think it's worth it.

    I can't see it dropping it price much anytime soon.
  • DakeyrasUK 30 Nov 2017 12:29:17 1,219 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sold Battlefront 2, bought skyrim...

    Hurragh another epic i most definitely don't have time to ever complete. Guck it will have burn as much as possible with my time in game!
  • prettyvacant 30 Nov 2017 14:22:19 164 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    I just don't want the population of my towns and villages getting wiped out by Vampires!
    I think this has been fixed for the Switch version but I can't remember how they went about it , there is a bug worth looking out for if you use a shield though , it's the middle one that slows down time when you block a power attack and it leaves you stuck in slowmo it seems .
  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.