Ghost Recon: Wildlands

• Page

of 21 First / Last

Previous
  • Jim_Dix 26 Jan 2017 10:03:51 384 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Or alternatively, 'Clear and Present Danger' the game. Am I right?

Is anybody interested in this? I know its a Ubisoft open worlder. And yes, it is a po-faced contemporary military shooter, which are so prevalent now its become a cliché. And yes, judging from videos it isn't as 'tactical' as fans of the Ghost Recon brand would like.

But it is four player co-op. And in a world where Mercenaries 2 was a glitched mess that saw its developer canned by EA. This might be a fun, albeit less bombastic, alternative?
  • H1ggyLTD 26 Jan 2017 10:36:07 8,496 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 26 Jan 2017 10:41:17 31,050 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I’d love it to be Mercenaries 3, but I’m getting more of a Clearing Out Far Cry Outposts: The Game vibe from it.
  • the_milkybar_kid 26 Jan 2017 10:51:14 6,393 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Been looking forward to this personally, as a first co-op game on my PC that I'll actually play online. Absolutely loved Future Soldier so willing to give this a go.
  • the_milkybar_kid 26 Jan 2017 10:51:15 6,393 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • LittleSparra 26 Jan 2017 11:04:45 7,729 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't mind it not being as tactical as GR. I am interested IF it nails the thing some GRs did so well, which was the big outdoors, the sense of space and isolation.

And if it's not clear camps run up towers unlock map Ubi shite as SH says.

Co op is very tempting.
  • Jim_Dix 26 Jan 2017 11:06:50 384 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes Mercenaries 2 was probably the biggest disappointment of the last generation for me. It's certainly one that I haven't forgotten about. The first game had been so good on PS2. I remember playing the OPSM2 demo over and over again.

I can see what you're saying about the Far Cry influence though.

Ironic that the movie was based on a Tom Clancy book in the Jack Ryan series and Ghost Recon is part of the 'Tom Clancy' brand. Wildlands sounds like something that would appeal to the kids though I guess? Do kids these days even know who Harrison Ford is?
  • H1ggyLTD 26 Jan 2017 11:08:02 8,496 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's meant to be massive.
  • mothercruncher 26 Jan 2017 13:53:59 14,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm looking forward to seeing which bits of which of their games they've clumsily stitched together and what amazing new server issues they launch this game with.
    Oh, and finding out that "Bolivia" is actually the maps from Far Cry 1,2,3 and 4 Photoshopped together. Plus, when that gruff guy goes "hooaaa motherfucker".
  • Derblington 26 Jan 2017 13:56:48 30,420 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Jim_Dix
    Jack Ryan has been played by Ben Affleck and Chris Pine more recently.
  • Jim_Dix 26 Jan 2017 15:14:01 384 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Derblington I know. I can't recall seeing the Affleck vehicle. Was that the 'Sum of all Fears' or am I imagining that title?

I know for a fact I saw the trailer for the Chris Pine one. And it looked shit. 'Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit'? Shadow agent? Some shit like that? I haven't seen it. Was it even based on a book? Ryan the character was a CIA analyst wasn't he? He isn't trained for field work and gets roped into it in Hunt for Red October. Pretty sure the Pine version is Ryan in name only.
  • LittleSparra 26 Jan 2017 15:19:29 7,729 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I think Affleck was the one where there was a bomb at that American football game, and he just stops nuclear war. Sum of All Fears arrr.

The Chris Pine one felt far more... indistinct.

I liked Ford in the role cos his silly confused face works for it.
  • Technoishmatt 26 Jan 2017 18:48:32 2,355 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm very interested in this. Guardian's got an interesting right up.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/24/ghost-recon-wildlands-hands-on-with-the-future-of-military-shooters

I'm not so worried about it not being enough like classic Ghost Recon - especially as I hope to play with real people, and I never really gelled with the "tactical" part. I love real people tactical, not "choose some options from an order wheel and let friendly AI execute" tactical. One of the reasons Rainbow Six Siege is so great.
  • Reacher 26 Jan 2017 19:12:41 2,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @erniewhatbert If you're getting it, then I will. I've signed up for the beta so will see if I get in.

My brother likes this sort of thing too, so I'm hoping it's decent enough to persuade him to play.
  • LittleSparra 26 Jan 2017 19:56:24 7,729 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    I'm very interested in this. Guardian's got an interesting right up.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/24/ghost-recon-wildlands-hands-on-with-the-future-of-military-shooters

I'm not so worried about it not being enough like classic Ghost Recon - especially as I hope to play with real people, and I never really gelled with the "tactical" part. I love real people tactical, not "choose some options from an order wheel and let friendly AI execute" tactical. One of the reasons Rainbow Six Siege is so great.
    Would get it on Xbox, yeah?

If triarii and crispyduckman get it I am in...
  • H1ggyLTD 26 Jan 2017 19:57:18 8,496 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think i'm in on the beta soon.
  • oceanmotion 26 Jan 2017 20:01:30 17,300 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't not see Far Cry 3 with a drone. The co-op might be cool but the game play looks like same old shit ever so slightly tweaked.

Edited by oceanmotion at 20:02:24 26-01-2017
  • Jim_Dix 30 Jan 2017 10:35:17 384 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Watched a couple more videos of this over the weekend. Some of the early stuff from E3 (2016?) looks... rough. To say the least.

Saw one in particular where the player launched a motorbike off a cliff, tagged a ledge on the way down causing him to come off, plummeted about a hundred feet into an enemy encampment, and then landed in a roll and was straight on their feet shooting bad guys. :confused:

I mean, yeah, I get it is more of an arcade game, but even in GTA that kind of stunt would result in a death.

Are they still taking applications for the beta? I'd be interested in trying before buying. Especially given Ubisofts recent form. I'll wait for reviews and, crucially, some performance analysis as I'm on a standard PS4.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2017 13:30:54
    Jim_Dix wrote:
    Watched a couple more videos of this over the weekend. Some of the early stuff from E3 (2016?) looks... rough. To say the least.

Saw one in particular where the player launched a motorbike off a cliff, tagged a ledge on the way down causing him to come off, plummeted about a hundred feet into an enemy encampment, and then landed in a roll and was straight on their feet shooting bad guys. :confused:

I mean, yeah, I get it is more of an arcade game, but even in GTA that kind of stunt would result in a death.

Are they still taking applications for the beta? I'd be interested in trying before buying. Especially given Ubisofts recent form. I'll wait for reviews and, crucially, some performance analysis as I'm on a standard PS4.
    You seen the Movie Lone Survivor right(based on true events apparently)? It totaly can happen :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about this game yet it might as well be Farcry all but name :p But how dense is the map or is it very big and nothing to do inbetween the camps like Just Cause 3?
  • mothercruncher 1 Feb 2017 11:15:14 14,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you're extremely quick you might just grab a Beta key from this french giveaway:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/601542/ghost-recon-wildlands-10-000-cles-a-gagner-pour-la-beta-de-ce-week-end.htm

I grabbed one, but it is being hammered and slow as a mother.

For the captcha- moins is "minus", ajoute is "added".
  • Jim_Dix 1 Feb 2017 12:41:01 384 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @mothercruncher Worth a punt I suppose.
  • BillMurray 1 Feb 2017 12:54:37 9,110 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All gone!
  • mothercruncher 1 Feb 2017 18:03:06 14,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wouldn't worry, I got a code, redeemed it at Ubisoft and.... nothing. The Wildlands page says I've been selected but PSN won't accept the code. In short, the beta is about as buggy as the game will inevitably be,
  • H1ggyLTD 1 Feb 2017 22:30:28 8,496 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have three invites for the beta, but you'd need to become an Ubisoft account friend, if you can be assed.
  • Technoishmatt 1 Feb 2017 22:35:22 2,355 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On what format?

I registered for Xbox One on 6th of December. I'm still waiting for further contact (only received an email saying I was going on the waitlist).
  • H1ggyLTD 1 Feb 2017 22:36:45 8,496 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on xbox, but this reads like i can invite any platform.
  • funkstar 2 Feb 2017 00:36:57 3,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    if its like for honor, it'll only be on your platform
  • ModoX 2 Feb 2017 08:02:36 3,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got a key for the Xbox beta, code redeemed ok on the website. Got 3 invites to dish out too if anyone wants one.
  • TenderChicken 2 Feb 2017 08:24:14 3,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll take a Xbox One beta key if you guys still have them going spare. I think my uPlay is TenderChicken!

Edit - it's TenderChicken1

Edited by TenderChicken at 08:25:35 02-02-2017
  • mothercruncher 2 Feb 2017 09:52:02 14,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got a beta key finally, circa 20 hours after being accepted. Even UbiSoft's email is shit.

Just checked- invites only work on the same platform as the Beta participant. I'm on PS4 with three to offer then- if any other totally hunky and clearly superior Sony gamers want an invite then pop your uPlay name here. Forum regulars only.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.