Splatoon 2

• Page

of 90 First / Last

Previous
  • rice_sandwich 19 Jan 2017 07:16:14 3,447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For discussion of the not quite a sequel but looking good fun anyway, Splatoon 2.
  • DangerousDave_87 20 Jan 2017 10:34:23 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Going by the one map we've seen it looks like more of the same, which is no bad thing, it's just that Nintendo are being so secretive about everything at the moment. I guess this game is still technically 8 months away, so this time it's understandable.

Still, i'm looking forward to trying out the Gyro controls on the Switch. They certainly do improve aiming a lot and it should be a standard feature in all FPS games (in my opinion). It'll be cool to see how natural it feels in portable mode (when the screen will be directly impacted by your movements) and in TV mode when using the Joy-Con grip.
  • rice_sandwich 21 Jan 2017 09:52:53 3,447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's a game where the motion controls feel entirely natural. I'd find it unplayable if the only option was via twin stick control. I don't think we'll get much more info about it until a few months down the line and suspect a drip feed approach of snippets here and there.

I'd like to see a co-op 2 player mode in S2 as the 2p versus mode is its weak point.
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2017 10:28:25 72,064 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I turned gyro off. Just couldn't get used to it.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2017 10:34:50
    Yep same here.
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Jan 2017 10:49:34 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I will say it took a few hours to get used to, but that's nothing compared to how long it took me to get used to dual analog (weeks of TimeSplitters and Red Faction).
  • DangerousDave_87 29 Jan 2017 16:46:01 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So it looks as if the developers will be drip feeding updates on Splatoon 2, much like they did with the first game. So far, we have a screenshot of a new stage called Barnacles Sports Club. Going by the images released on Twitter, this one seems to have a stronger focus on verticality(?).

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/824925932498456576/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Nintendo Life reckons the stage looks bigger than anything we've seen in the first game, but i'm not sure of that, myself.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 16:47:05 29-01-2017
  • hypoBla5t 29 Jan 2017 17:39:53 2,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    I will say it took a few hours to get used to, but that's nothing compared to how long it took me to get used to dual analog (weeks of TimeSplitters and Red Faction).
    Probably the most important life skill I ever learned.
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Feb 2017 10:01:06 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Big Boss Man himself, Mr Kimishima, has said Splatoon 2 will feature voice chat.

Splatoon 2 in particular will offer voice chat, a much-requested feature from our overseas fans, using smart-devices and the ability to bring eight Nintendo Switch systems together for eight-person local multiplayer. In this way, we are working to create titles and environments to invigorate the competitive gaming scene so that a wider demographic of customers can enjoy, talk about, and continue playing the Nintendo Switch.
    I hope there's an option to turn it off when playing against randoms. I cannot express how much better some online games are when you're not constantly subjected to the frustrations of others!
  • JoelStinty 1 Feb 2017 10:03:55 5,911 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    So it looks as if the developers will be drip feeding updates on Splatoon 2, much like they did with the first game. So far, we have a screenshot of a new stage called Barnacles Sports Club. Going by the images released on Twitter, this one seems to have a stronger focus on verticality(?).

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/824925932498456576/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Nintendo Life reckons the stage looks bigger than anything we've seen in the first game, but i'm not sure of that, myself.
    It be cool if there were some levels where you could go up walls. Would add another dimension at least. Although i suspect those levels would have to be quiet small.
  • rice_sandwich 1 Feb 2017 10:04:08 3,447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I imagine you can just log out of the app on your smart device. I am not at all keen on voice chat except with friends or fellow EGers.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2017 10:05:59 31,575 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did the first one have those rail things you can activate them swim along in any of the multiplayer maps? I don't remember any. I've seen them in the Splatoon 2 trailers but I honestly can't remember getting to use them in Splatoon 1 outside of the single player story.

Those could be (and possibly were) a trolls paradise, as shooting the end to make it your colour will force opponents off the rail, potentially screwing them over :)
  • rice_sandwich 1 Feb 2017 10:07:31 3,447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JoelStinty

You can already go up walls in a few of the levels but I can see that it could be expanded. It's a good tactic in the big level with the bridge in the middle.
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Feb 2017 11:30:31 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DFawkes There was definitely none of that online, unfortunately. There would potentially be a great risk/reward system for players who dare use rails to traverse a map quicky. Especially if it resulted in a likely death.
  • Ror 1 Feb 2017 11:42:36 16,743 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't get excited about this until Nintendo announce their online sub plans, which I'm guessing will launch alongside this. I enjoyed Splatoon on the Wii U, though played it fairly infrequently online, so I don't really fancy paying a sub to do so. Unless it's something paltry like a tenner a year, of course.

I'm definitely hoping to see a larger, more expansive SP though, as I loved the first one for that.
  • rice_sandwich 1 Feb 2017 14:02:00 3,447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some voice chat info:

...The tweets - which have been kindly translated by All Source Gaming - state that the smartphone application will support lobbies and voice communication, so you can chat with your friends before heading into the game proper.
    Voice chat also works in-game, but once you're in a match, you'll only be able to talk to your own team - for obvious reasons. Furthermore, it won't be possible to converse with people who aren't already on your approved friends list.
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Feb 2017 14:40:48 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nice. As nice as it is to meet somebody like-minded whilst playing online, 9 times out of 10 you're subjected to angry kids verbally abusing each others mothers, so it's just not worth it.

Rocket League is bad enough with text chat.
  • Baddamobs 1 Feb 2017 16:03:16 136 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What's going on with the Squid Sisters in the trailer, do you reckon? It's kind of odd that we only saw Marie, and that she was wearing a pretty black outfit (like mourning clothes or something).
  • Ror 1 Feb 2017 16:04:49 16,743 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think she must have killed and then ate Callie.
  • Ror 1 Feb 2017 16:05:17 16,743 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, that reminds me. I really wanted to get the Callie and Marie amiibos...
  • Derblington 1 Feb 2017 16:10:48 29,978 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Some voice chat info:

...The tweets - which have been kindly translated by All Source Gaming - state that the smartphone application will support lobbies and voice communication, so you can chat with your friends before heading into the game proper.
    Voice chat also works in-game, but once you're in a match, you'll only be able to talk to your own team - for obvious reasons. Furthermore, it won't be possible to converse with people who aren't already on your approved friends list.
    Doesn't that last point contradict the previous?
  • rice_sandwich 1 Feb 2017 16:11:19 3,447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love the Splatoon soundtrack. There are some fun videos showing the recording sessions. Looks like they had a laugh.
  • JoelStinty 1 Feb 2017 16:15:48 5,911 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Haha, sorry that made me laugh more than it should have done. Kind of fucking morbid.
  • JoelStinty 1 Feb 2017 16:15:50 5,911 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Haha, sorry that made me laugh more than it should have done. Kind of fucking morbid.
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Feb 2017 00:26:05 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just had an amazing run of games tonight on the first game. I cannot wait for this. It's such a fluid game. I am becoming more concerned with how well the map will work without a second screen, though. You're really going to have to be on it to know where best to attack!
  • rice_sandwich 10 Feb 2017 06:17:34 3,447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I found that once I learned a map I only really used it to launch special attacks. So a pop up map isn't much of a concern for me. I am a lot more concerned about how the gyro controls will work as I can't play shooter games with dual stick controls.
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Feb 2017 10:23:35 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It'll be interesting to see which controller option works best, given the varied weight of the console, the Joy-Con and the Pro Controller, but i'm sure it'll all be fine.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Feb 2017 08:09:16 3,447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There will be a global test fire on March 24 - 26. I assume it will be the same as the first game with play limited to a couple of maps and weapons.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Feb 2017 08:22:26 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's amazing news! I'll be all over that! I remember the old Test Fires for the original game. 1 hour just wasn't enough. I also had to share with the Miss, who was also hooked from the outset.
  • JoelStinty 12 Feb 2017 10:10:17 5,911 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's great news. I shall be there!
  • Page

of 90 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.