Super Mario Odyssey Page 66

• Page

of 67 First / Last

• deez 6 Dec 2017 12:34:34 191 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kay that bits easy too once you know yhe pattern.

Completely agree there should have been more of this. Only a couple of sections in the whole game needed more than a couple of tries, then this.
  • Jono62 6 Dec 2017 12:40:26 18,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The part which took me a while was The bullet bill section on the dark side of the moon.
  • deez 6 Dec 2017 13:30:31 191 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Jono62 good point. Still only have 1 of the 2 moons in there.
  • Bambot 6 Dec 2017 13:37:26 865 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm not even finished the main 'story' part yet, sort of gone off the boil really as I always do with Mario games, but so far I have hated that race with the big bouncing ball chaps. Cannot for the life of me work out how you're supposed to control it properly, never come close to winning.
  • minky-kong 6 Dec 2017 13:47:20 13,259 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Press jump when you hit the ground to build up speed and hit the slanted bits at the right angle to boost off them. If you do it right you can cut a lot of corners.
  • SGMilne 6 Dec 2017 16:09:29 167 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I'm pretty much done with Mario now, but considering I bought it (along with the console) on Halloween and have played it most days for at least an hour, I don't think that's too bad.

I'm at the point where I've collected every purple coin and almost every single moon (exceptions being the Dark Dark Side, 100 Volleyball returns, the hardest bounce race and 4 moons from the Dark Side that just seemed too frustrating to contend with) and I'm more than satisfied.

What I found most interesting though is that yesterday while I waited for my Joycons to charge, I had a quick game of FIFA on the PS4. I get that they are totally different games and consoles, but the responsiveness of FIFA felt like I was wading through treacle compared to just how sharp the Switch controls are.

Edited by SGMilne at 16:09:45 06-12-2017
  • monkman76 6 Dec 2017 16:18:28 12,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's FIFA though isn't it, specifically. It's a common complaint.
  • SGMilne 6 Dec 2017 16:20:27 167 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkman76 I dunno, I've never noticed it before. But I don't think any game can hold a candle to the responsiveness of a Mario game, can it?
  • FuzzyDucky 6 Dec 2017 16:30:59 2,678 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SGMilne wrote:
    I think I'm pretty much done with Mario now, but considering I bought it (along with the console) on Halloween and have played it most days for at least an hour, I don't think that's too bad.

I'm at the point where I've collected every purple coin and almost every single moon (exceptions being the Dark Dark Side, 100 Volleyball returns, the hardest bounce race and 4 moons from the Dark Side that just seemed too frustrating to contend with) and I'm more than satisfied.

What I found most interesting though is that yesterday while I waited for my Joycons to charge, I had a quick game of FIFA on the PS4. I get that they are totally different games and consoles, but the responsiveness of FIFA felt like I was wading through treacle compared to just how sharp the Switch controls are.
    Because FIFA is shit. The Joycons still feel awful, there's almost no throw in the sticks, the d-pad basically doesn't exist and the face buttons are horrible and clicky.

By far the worst of the three main consoles.
  • monkman76 6 Dec 2017 16:39:45 12,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's the worst for playing on a TV. It kicks the shit out of Xbone and PS4 on the shitter/bus/train/plane/bed etc though, which is kind of the point of it.
  • FuzzyDucky 6 Dec 2017 17:56:26 2,678 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Whether I'm sat on the couch, train or the bog the sticks are still going to be rubbish.

Would it kill Nintendo to include a controller that isn't a bit naff in the box? Last time any of their consoles had a decent pack in controlled was the GameCube.
  • DangerousDave_87 6 Dec 2017 20:40:03 2,852 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like the sticks, though I've yet to play an FPS with them. The smaller movement is a nice compromise that works well for 2D and 3D games. Even with a Pro Controller, I choose the Joy Con for all 190 hours of Zelda.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Dec 2017 20:43:08 20,656 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Whether I'm sat on the couch, train or the bog the sticks are still going to be rubbish.

Would it kill Nintendo to include a controller that isn't a bit naff in the box? Last time any of their consoles had a decent pack in controlled was the GameCube.
    What could they have done differently for a portable hybrid system?
    You don't expect full size sticks, do you?
  • K-Project 6 Dec 2017 20:59:30 449 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    It's the worst for playing on a TV. It kicks the shit out of Xbone and PS4 on the shitter/bus/train/plane/bed etc though, which is kind of the point of it.
    I read this a lot but it just puts me off buying the Switch. I don't really want a portable/mobile games console. I just want it to run on the TV. We don't fight over the telly (no one really watches anything) and the family are very easy going with gaming. I really want to play Mario but I just don't like the console itself if I'm honest. I don't like the build quality of it, I really don't like the JoyCons (urgh) and I don't like the dock. I'm never gonna play it on a bus (Christ, I don't even pull my phone out on our local buses for fear of getting rolled) or on the train or whatever so the tablet side of it is lost on me. I don't like the fact that it's gonna cost me more to play it effectively as a home console (factoring in extra controllers and a screen cover so the dock doesn't scratch it). It's already a luxury priced item imo.

But I'd really like to play Mario. Maybe they'll do a second iteration of the Switch in the future that might be worth a look, but the current one doesn't appeal much to me at all, and I'm quite sad about it if I'm honest.
  • FuzzyDucky 6 Dec 2017 21:28:51 2,678 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:

What could they have done differently for a portable hybrid system?
    You don't expect full size sticks, do you?
    Yeah I'd like to see proper sized sticks that you know, adults can use. The Joycons are so flimsy they honestly feel like they'll break in no time.

Innovative design is all well and good but there's just too many compromises to the fundamentals to make it a worthwhile experience.
  • deez 6 Dec 2017 21:37:52 191 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished the final level, glad I persevered.
  • DangerousDave_87 6 Dec 2017 21:40:26 2,852 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The ending reminds me a lot of Big Fish, which just happens to be my favourite Tim Burton film.
  • ardamillo 7 Dec 2017 00:12:51 599 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @K-Project I'm the same way, I doubt I'll ever use the portable mode much, but I caved and bought one in the black Friday sale.

First impressions were bleh, especially the Joycons, but after a couple of weeks with Mario it has grown on me quite a bit. Playing Mario on a big TV, it doesn't feel like a compromise. It's still one of the best games I've played this year on any machine. I even got used to using the split Joycons although I also picked up a Pro controller.

I have used portable mode exactly once so far (while waiting for my dinner to cook) but it was flawless.

Anyway, you're not wrong, it's a luxury item for me even by gaming standards, but I like it enough that I'm happy just having it there for first party games and the odd times I have 5-10 minutes to spare around the house. It doesn't feel gimped by being a hybrid, just a bit overpriced.
  • Daz190uk 7 Dec 2017 07:18:03 227 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím in a similar position in that I very rarely use portable mode as I just donít have the need.

I donít like the Joy Cons, too much of a downgrade after using an Xbox Elite controller for most of my gaming so never use them.

The Pro controller is fine though and it works ok as a Nintendo home console in my view.
  • macmurphy 7 Dec 2017 08:29:03 2,572 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I think Fuzzyís hit the pipe a bit hard.

Doesnít feel remotely compromised as a home console. It has some of the highest rated games out there in Mario, Mariokart and Zelda. They all look beautiful.

Itís expensive because of the portability, and I guess if you never take it out of the dock you could feel shortchanged. But for a lot of people thatís what makes it such a great console,

Anyway, happy playing mine home or away. They want a kicking for their voice chat shenanigans, for everything else Iím pretty happy.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Dec 2017 08:32:12 38,869 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:

Yeah I'd like to see proper sized sticks that you know, adults can use. The Joycons are so flimsy they honestly feel like they'll break in no time..
    I am 1,94m tall, I have appropriately large hands, I have absolutely zero troubles with the joycons. I use the Switch in handheld most of the time even at home. Got a pro controller for TV use, it's nice, but not a necessity.

I am probably just awesome and flexible of course because I've been using a shitload of different controllers and handhelds for many years. I am willing to accept that not everybody can be as awesome as I am.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Dec 2017 08:53:01 20,656 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím well impressed by the Metro Kingdom at night, utterly gorgeous visuals.
    Itís a level that didnít look that great in previews but itís great fun to play.
  • Zerobob 7 Dec 2017 09:40:34 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    K-Project wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    I read this a lot but it just puts me off buying the Switch. I don't really want a portable/mobile games console. I just want it to run on the TV. We don't fight over the telly (no one really watches anything) and the family are very easy going with gaming. I really want to play Mario but I just don't like the console itself if I'm honest. I don't like the build quality of it, I really don't like the JoyCons (urgh) and I don't like the dock. I'm never gonna play it on a bus (Christ, I don't even pull my phone out on our local buses for fear of getting rolled) or on the train or whatever so the tablet side of it is lost on me. I don't like the fact that it's gonna cost me more to play it effectively as a home console (factoring in extra controllers and a screen cover so the dock doesn't scratch it). It's already a luxury priced item imo.

But I'd really like to play Mario. Maybe they'll do a second iteration of the Switch in the future that might be worth a look, but the current one doesn't appeal much to me at all, and I'm quite sad about it if I'm honest.
    Sounds like you don't really need a Switch so maybe waiting for a newer version would be a wise move, if that ever happens.

I'd recommend getting a Switch for Breath of the Wild, portable Skyrim, even Mario Kart 8 for the awesome multiplayer (if you don't have it on WiiU) but I honestly wouldn't recommend getting one specifically for Mario Odyssey. I don't think you're missing much. I'd recommend playing Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy to get your Mario fix instead.
  • Kay 7 Dec 2017 11:22:27 19,413 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    To say that you're better off playing Mario 64 in 2017 is extremely harsh on Odyssey, tbh.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Dec 2017 11:32:36 6,925 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, it kind of is, but Mario 64 is ruddy brilliant.
  • Phattso 7 Dec 2017 11:36:44 22,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Recommending someone who doesn't like handhelds and doesn't like the build quality of the console to go and play something that can only be played on a 10 or 20 year old Nintendo console, or contemporary handheld, is quite a thing to behold.

"Wait - you hate those joycons? You're gonna LOVE the N64 controller, or the 3DS nubbins, or the WiiMotes..." :)

Mario 64 doesn't stand up well today anyways. Galaxy you could argue though. Have that on my Wii U.
  • monkman76 7 Dec 2017 11:48:14 12,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Off topic - is there any way to play Galaxy on a Wii U without any Wii hardware (Wiimotes, sensor bar etc)?
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Dec 2017 11:53:37 20,656 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Off topic - is there any way to play Galaxy on a Wii U without any Wii hardware (Wiimotes, sensor bar etc)?
    No.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Dec 2017 11:55:01 20,656 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why wouldn't you play on a train?
    What does "getting rolled" mean?
  • disusedgenius 7 Dec 2017 11:56:04 8,678 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    To say that you're better off playing Mario 64 in 2017 is extremely harsh on Odyssey, tbh.
    It's both harsh and accurate to the entire genre.
  • Page

of 67 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.