Super Mario Odyssey Page 65

• Page

of 67 First / Last

• FuzzyDucky 3 Dec 2017 23:09:58 2,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've hit the post-credits area, have about 160 moons... Dunno if I'll continue as it seems like an artificial grind to make the game longer.

Loved it, but it's a step down from 3D World and not even the same league as the Galaxy games.
  • minky-kong 3 Dec 2017 23:13:06 13,267 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's worth carrying on for a bit longer as you would have missed tons in each world if you only have 160 moons by the end. There's lots of mini courses hidden in each world that are worth playing for instance.
  • DangerousDave_87 3 Dec 2017 23:18:26 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky You've honestly only just started playing.
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Dec 2017 01:01:54 2,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks for the input chaps.

Maybe I'm looking for a reason to play nothing but Zelda 😁
  • BigOrkWaaagh 4 Dec 2017 07:20:03 6,946 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't even realise it was possible to beat the game with 160 moons, you must have done the absolute bare minimum, my 5 year old even has 190 at Bowser's Kingdom and I thought he was doing the absolute bare minimum!
  • DangerousDave_87 4 Dec 2017 08:13:11 2,896 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I hit 320 Moons before seeing the credits roll, but it was the next 300-400 Moons in which the game really hit it's stride. I do agree, though. It's not on par with 3D World, which I think a lot of folk dismissed far too easily.
  • ghearoid 4 Dec 2017 09:12:30 2,712 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I saw the end credits with 225 moons and I thought I'd been thorough! :)
  • erniewhatbert 4 Dec 2017 09:40:36 2,784 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    I saw the credits last night at about the same number. I thought I spent a fair bit of time in each world before moving on as well.

I really enjoyed it, but I'm not enough of a Mario/platformer fan to look for another 400 moons.

Edited by erniewhatbert at 09:41:02 04-12-2017
  • BigOrkWaaagh 4 Dec 2017 09:47:57 6,946 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    erniewhatbert wrote:
    ghearoid wrote:
    I saw the credits last night at about the same number. I thought I spent a fair bit of time in each world before moving on as well.

I really enjoyed it, but I'm not enough of a Mario/platformer fan to look for another 400 moons.
  • ghearoid 4 Dec 2017 09:58:05 2,712 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I ended my playthough with 550 moons. I'm not much of a platformer really and gave myself little goals - all captures, unlock all worlds, find three certain characters in each world.

45+ hours in the end. :)
  • Kay 4 Dec 2017 11:26:23 19,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got around 25 moons left now (including the final challenge level). And yeah, it does at times feel like a grind trying to complete it 100%, which is a shame. It's best not to try and be completist about it (at first), just play however much you want - or at least until you unlock the final level - and then, if you want to come back to it in the future, there will always be more moons to find.
  • Zerobob 4 Dec 2017 12:13:52 1,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A few of you seem to have got to the same point I did with this game. I thought I'd given the game a fair crack of the whip and finished with around 250 moons and most purple coins. Then after completing the story I collected a further 100 and decided I was done. I think collecting 300 of anything in a game is enough really and I'd definitely got everything out of the game that I felt I could at this point.

I think the claims that the real game starts after the story are a little exaggerated. Sure, there are lots of little secrets and tons of moons left to discover, and a few new levels, some higher difficluty platforming challenges, but it's not like there's a whole other game to uncover. It's more of the same platforming and systems, ultimately.

I was also able to sell Mario Odyssey for exactly what I paid for it a couple of weeks ago to the scumbags at CEX, so the experience cost me nothing. No regrets whatsoever.
  • Kay 4 Dec 2017 12:23:39 19,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    I think the claims that the real game starts after the story are a little exaggerated. Sure, there are lots of little secrets and tons of moons left to discover, and a few new levels, some higher difficluty platforming challenges, but it's not like there's a whole other game to uncover. It's more of the same platforming and systems, ultimately.
    Well, yeah. It's not like it suddenly turns into Zelda after you complete the game. But what people meant was - the real meat of the game, in terms of properly exploring the levels, and the toughest challenges, come after the end credits.
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Dec 2017 14:45:09 2,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've about 210 moons now and can feel the boredom setting in. I can see how these tiny little chunks of tasks and course fit the portable nature and the like, but there's no direction or focus to the game.

Wandering around the maps again is already repetitive, some of them are already quite plain looking (especially New Donk City, which is one of the worst locations ever in a Mario game) and absolutely lack the wild, fantastical locations of the previous Mario 3D games.

I feel like gating some of the moves behind waggle was a big misstep too - i don't want to waggle and can't really do it in handheld mode.

That all sounds negative but truth be told it's still one of the best games this year and an easy 9/10.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2017 14:46:17 774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    I've about 210 moons now and can feel the boredom setting in. I can see how these tiny little chunks of tasks and course fit the portable nature and the like, but there's no direction or focus to the game.

Wandering around the maps again is already repetitive, some of them are already quite plain looking (especially New Donk City, which is one of the worst locations ever in a Mario game) and absolutely lack the wild, fantastical locations of the previous Mario 3D games.

I feel like gating some of the moves behind waggle was a big misstep too - i don't want to waggle and can't really do it in handheld mode.

That all sounds negative but truth be told it's still one of the best games this year and an easy 9/10.
    :) thats actually pretty positive for you Fuzzy
  • Phattso 4 Dec 2017 14:53:19 22,113 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't really get the New Donk hate. Sure, it's grey buildings but in amongst that are some interesting areas. It also houses two of the BEST moons in the entire game - being chased by the dino while you're on the moped and controlling the RC Cars - and had some fairly challenging hardcore platformer moons thrown in as well.

It was a nice change of style IMHO.
  • disusedgenius 4 Dec 2017 14:57:17 8,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    RC Cars
    Fuck those shitty things and their camera relative controls. Screwed me right up!

Saying that it does have the best end-of-first-run-through moon in the game. Plus it's the bastard child of Sonic Adventure and Mario 64! Who wouldn't love that?
  • Kay 4 Dec 2017 14:59:53 19,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It does house two of the best moons in the game, but not the two you've picked. :p
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Dec 2017 15:07:48 2,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:

:) thats actually pretty positive for you Fuzzy
    :)

It suffers in the sense that it's a 3D Mario game and has to follow on from Galaxy 2, which to me is the greatest videogame ever made.

It also compares unfavorably to 3D World as there's some cool course and level design in there, but you have these boring, empty bits in between and you have to look for them yourself. 3D World hands the courses to you on a plate.
  • minky-kong 4 Dec 2017 15:09:27 13,267 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah New Donk City is a great level, definitely has some of the best moons.

Wooded Kingdom is still my favourite though. Great map, fun moons and damn funky music!
  • Phattso 4 Dec 2017 15:18:45 22,113 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Fuck those shitty things and their camera relative controls. Screwed me right up!
    I was raised on Supersprint in the arcade, so absolutely BEASTED that challenge at the first time of asking. :)
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Dec 2017 15:21:05 2,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I was raised on Supersprint in the arcade, so absolutely BEASTED that challenge at the first time of asking. :)
    My cold winter nights as a ten year old with just Super Off Road on the NES served me well for that one too!
  • Phattso 4 Dec 2017 15:27:54 22,113 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    My cold winter nights as a ten year old with just Super Off Road on the NES served me well for that one too!
    I'd buy Mario DLC with just that one mode in it. :)
  • Jono62 4 Dec 2017 15:35:36 18,468 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Ah yes! What a game. You could make your car so fast it would burn if it crashed :)

Finished the game with 999 moons. Had to grind coins in the end which was a bit dull, but there was nice touch which made me smile.
  • onemoresolo 4 Dec 2017 15:48:39 46 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    It's been a while since I used them, but I don't recall the controls being camera relative? Steer left-right with the left stick, and forward/reverse with the right stick (ie exactly as a real RC car works). I thought that was a pretty clever touch to be honest!
  • deez 4 Dec 2017 15:49:45 191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So how long exactly is the final stage? Had my first go on it yesterday and got as far as the flower moving platformbit but I suspect I'm not even half way?

And do folk bother with that thing at the start to get hearts? Falling off is my bigger issue...
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Dec 2017 23:27:09 20,673 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is bloody fantastic, stupidly addictive.
    I just made it to the Metro Kingdom, I didn't realise how gorgeous it would look in the rain with the nice lighting.
    Lovely stuff.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 6 Dec 2017 05:28:28 6,946 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deez wrote:
    So how long exactly is the final stage? Had my first go on it yesterday and got as far as the flower moving platformbit but I suspect I'm not even half way?

And do folk bother with that thing at the start to get hearts? Falling off is my bigger issue...
    By flower moving platform do you mean the bit with Yoshi? If so you're just about halfway. I stopped bothering with the initial boss once I realised I wasn't getting hit by anything and instadeath from falling etc was a bigger concern.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 05:28:49 06-12-2017
  • deez 6 Dec 2017 08:46:59 191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh cheers. Making progress and can make it to the second area now, each go is a bit long winded now though so less inclined to 'one more go' it.

Still probably up to 3/4 done now I guess. And yeah I see theres a much easier place to get the hearts later anyway!
  • Kay 6 Dec 2017 10:44:46 19,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Had a few proper goes on the final level. It's fun, and surprisingly easy up until the bit with the scarecrow and moving blocks, which I haven't managed to get past yet.

Also made me realise that the game could have done with a few more multi-stage obstacle course-type pure platforming levels...
  • Page

of 67 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.