Super Mario Odyssey Page 60

• Page

of 67 First / Last

• Jono62 11 Nov 2017 19:00:52 18,452 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got a pro controller and it feels much easier to control than the joy cons.
  • Switch024 11 Nov 2017 19:10:35 2,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got this as a gift for my birthday and it's more than living up to my expectations, having loads of fun it's an absolute joy to play.

I've been playing with split joy-cons and will be leaving the pro controller in the draw. I think it works great with them.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 11 Nov 2017 22:39:12 1,377 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Beat Bowser and the game. Didn't like the last couple of challenges much at all, but it's done and I'm pleased I managed to save Peach.

Not sure if I'll do much more and may sell it on to find doom or Xenoblade.
  • jimnastics 12 Nov 2017 08:31:55 1,107 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My little boy completed the game on Assist mode yesterday, or more like he made me sit through the whole thing and take over when he needed help (every boss battle, tricky platformer bit etc.). The problem is that he did the minimum possible on every level just to get the next level, so he blitzed through it, so it's slightly ruined it for me as I've seen all the worlds and battles even though on my save I'm only on the second world. I moaned to my wife about it and she said I should grow up, I think she's got a point :D At least there's still a load I haven't seen on each level I guess, so I'm going to try and 100% it.

I must say though, well done Nintendo on the Assist mode, he absolutely loved it. With that and the Mario Kart assist options they're really opening games up more the little 'uns.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 Nov 2017 08:51:57 6,932 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @jimnastics Ha, this is exactly what's happening with me and my lad at the moment, although I had the good sense to finish it myself first!
  • PrivateFloyd 12 Nov 2017 08:55:28 5,045 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @jimnastics

Exactly me too at the minute but unlike BigOrk I havenít finished it yet.

Just yesterday, he called me in to help with something and he was in this new snowy land. I was gutted!!!!

He loves seeing new levels and buying as many outfits as he can!!!
  • jimnastics 12 Nov 2017 09:05:24 1,107 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    @jimnastics

He loves seeing new levels and buying as many outfits as he can!!!
    Yes! This is 100% what my boy did, new levels and outfits. He kept buying every outfit he could afford, and yet got annoyed every time he couldn't afford the 1000 coin swimming shorts. That's a nice personal finance skill he learnt (or didn't) :D
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 Nov 2017 09:20:57 6,932 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hahaha, it's quite amazing to see that all kids are exactly alike!
  • JoelStinty 12 Nov 2017 09:43:50 5,901 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood there is a lot of post game so it is maybe worth checking it out. Almost like two games in one!

Also all this talk of playing with sons, wished I had a son/ daughter to join in with stuff like this. Look forward to the day I do!
  • GuybrushThreepwood 12 Nov 2017 09:55:38 1,377 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @JoelStinty I've played a bit of post game. As my last mario was 64, the post game was aimed at me and was enjoyable. Handed the controls to my youngest and she loved exploring and looking for coins. I've now gone back to the start and I'm relearning Hat World, (or whatever it's called) and enjoying it. I'll never 100% it, but it's the first mario I've ever finished and even with Assist Mode I didn't think I would, so I'm pleased with it.
  • ghearoid 12 Nov 2017 10:21:09 2,710 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Outside of Paper Mario and Mario Tennis/Golf RPGs, this is the first Mario game I've ever finished i.e. seen the final credits. I'm having a pootle around the post-game world(s) now and revisiting previous kingdoms to mop up.

I was very happy to see my favourite character turn up in the first post-game world. That was awesome! :)
  • GuybrushThreepwood 12 Nov 2017 12:07:30 1,377 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @ghearoid I know just who you mean. Wife and I kept doing impersonations of them. She's much better at the sound than I am. Cats thought we were nutters.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Nov 2017 13:15:14 2,858 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So it turns out I've only clocked 25 hours so far (650 Moons). That's still very impressive for me, especially considering it's been less than 2 weeks, but I imagined it would be much more.

I'm very much looking forward to trying to get back in to Stardew Valley once it's done though. I've not even got out of Spring yet.
  • Stranded87 12 Nov 2017 13:32:28 1,676 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Up to what I assume is the last boss battle of the main game and finding it really hard. Prior to this I thought the game was too easy if anything, so seems like quite a difficulty spike. Half tempted to turn assist mode on. Not a fan (of this fight) either way, I'm all for challenge, but like it to be a smooth progression.
  • Derblington 12 Nov 2017 16:23:38 29,924 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've pretty much stopped, with 2 moons left. The new Xbox and PS backlog are keeping me busy, so I'll probably leave those 2 moons until Xmas as I'll take the Switch home with me.
  • ecu 12 Nov 2017 16:26:12 80,175 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Went back to metro kingdom just now and knocked out the 100 jump rope moon first time.
  • ecu 14 Nov 2017 22:18:22 80,175 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    793 moons now.. missing one from most kingdoms (the art ones), but the biggest problem will be the purple coins. I donít want to have to buy the bowser amiibo just to finish this game but I fear Iíll be spending hours upon hours hunting for those last few purple coins. Only in two kingdoms do I have them all.

Edited by ecu at 23:04:55 14-11-2017
  • Mola_Ram 14 Nov 2017 22:35:56 16,521 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Up to what I assume is the last boss battle of the main game and finding it really hard. Prior to this I thought the game was too easy if anything, so seems like quite a difficulty spike. Half tempted to turn assist mode on. Not a fan (of this fight) either way, I'm all for challenge, but like it to be a smooth progression.
    I found that last gauntlet before the boss more challenging than the actual boss. That's where the difficulty spike was for me.
  • DakeyrasUK 14 Nov 2017 22:47:01 1,217 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecu wrote:
    Went back to metro kingdom just now and knocked out the 100 jump rope moon first time.
    Git, I can't seem to improve on 53... it is the only moon left at Metro for me and the one of 4 moons im yet to get in all of the worlds before bowsers.

Now on 804 moons myself.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 15 Nov 2017 05:43:16 1,377 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Stranded87 wrote:
    I found that last gauntlet before the boss more challenging than the actual boss. That's where the difficulty spike was for me.
    Died a few times on that last gauntlet myself, which wasn't helped by my having any save points. Managed it in the end, but it was palm sweatingly tough.

Stranded, why not put on Assist Mode for the final fight if you're struggling? That's what it's there for.
  • Derblington 15 Nov 2017 06:22:51 29,924 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK
    After 35 you just need to get the rhythm down. After 50 it doesn't get any faster. Instead of looking for the rope, just lightly tap jump every time the rope woman says 'hey'. I found it easier to actually look away from Mario completely, just off centre of the screen.
  • DakeyrasUK 15 Nov 2017 06:31:30 1,217 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Derblington thanks for the tips. Will give ut a few more attempts. But can see me not bothering with it and the 100 volleyball returns.

Whilst not as bad as the 200 lightning dodges from ffx, I am really not keen on these kind of challenges avoiding completion!
  • Derblington 15 Nov 2017 06:34:34 29,924 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got to 97 on an early attempt and them mistimed it. It's actually really simple once you know the cues the game gives you, you just need to get the button strength right.

I've still not done volleyball. Its one of my final 2 moons. Its so slow to get going and I find the ball placement really hard to judge, as soon as I fail once I just don't want to do a second attempt.
  • ecu 15 Nov 2017 08:02:16 80,175 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They say with the volleyball itís best to go in to 2 player and use Cappy alone. Supposedly makes it really easy.

Havenít tried it myself but I got 70 on my first go at volleyball normally anyway.
  • JoelStinty 15 Nov 2017 09:32:15 5,901 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ecu I found methodically searching area's for any remaining coins the best way to find them. I don't think there are any bullshit ones, just some are truly well hidden, But just make use of the camera and you'll eventually come across them

Thought maybe with the amount of moons you have you should have come across most of them. There are a few down tubes as well, so it may be worth re-visiting them as well.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 15 Nov 2017 09:35:33 6,932 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK A tip I got from somewhere was to do it on a scooter because you don't have to worry about Mario doing part of his crazy jump sequence. I got to 126 jumps on about my 3rd try after failing miserably on foot :)
  • cowell 15 Nov 2017 09:57:15 1,376 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh man the post completion rewards and end game. So good!
  • ecu 15 Nov 2017 20:52:08 80,175 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecu wrote:
    They say with the volleyball itís best to go in to 2 player and use Cappy alone. Supposedly makes it really easy.

Havenít tried it myself but I got 70 on my first go at volleyball normally anyway.
    Update:

Tried this tonight and using cappy as player 2 makes this ridiculously easy. Felt like I could have gone on for hours.

If anyone is struggling with this moon, just play as cappy and you wonít have a problem.

Edited by ecu at 20:52:23 15-11-2017
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Nov 2017 21:06:14 2,858 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's the Skipping rope I'm still struggling with. 61is my best. Miles off!
  • Gaol 15 Nov 2017 21:10:31 3,246 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    It's the Skipping rope I'm still struggling with. 61is my best. Miles off!
    I found it relatively easy, my advice would be:

Use a pro controller (though I've done it without)
    Concentrate on hitting the button lightly after you hear 'Hey!'
    Put the camera behind the left hand rope swinger (as you come in from the Odyssey) so that it is lined up and down the screen
    Stand Mario slightly to the left of centre for the biggest timing window
    Relax
  • Page

of 67 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.