• Derblington 8 Nov 2017 06:48:51 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    2 left.
    Volleyball and Darker Side.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2017 08:29:29 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have you found all these by just pootling around and stumbling across them? I'm quite up for getting as many as I can but if it requires hours of just wandering about finding nothing, I can see myself throwing in the towel.
  • Gaol 8 Nov 2017 08:39:24 3,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can find almost all by using amiibo or paying Toad for hints. Which turns the exploration into busywork, I feel the hints should have been a little less available or precise.

Then again, I am using a Bowser amiibo to find purple coins...
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2017 08:46:29 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    You can find almost all by using amiibo or paying Toad for hints. Which turns the exploration into busywork, I feel the hints should have been a little less available or precise.

Then again, I am using a Bowser amiibo to find purple coins...
    Bowser finds purple coins? I'm sure I scanned a Bowser and he just showed me the location of a moon. Does it have to be the Odyssey one?
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Nov 2017 08:55:36 526 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Yeah, has to be they odyssey one
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2017 08:59:11 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 :(
  • Derblington 8 Nov 2017 09:01:03 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've done it by using Talkatoo primarily, and if I get stuck the Hint Toad.
    By the time I'd played through the levels and just stumbled across stuff during the story then going back for the Moon Cubes, the remaining things are often named with enough of a hint to put you in the right direction at least.

Some of the late picture hints have been the most obscure ones.

Edited by Derblington at 09:01:59 08-11-2017
  • JoelStinty 8 Nov 2017 09:19:31 5,837 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So far I havenít used the hints system yet. Iím determined not to, but I feel I may have too. Iím redoing the stages and got to lake kingdom. Literally got three/four moons left on those stages I have redone and have so far tried and searched everywhere. Iím hoping a puzzle in a later
    Stage may be something that I recognise in those stages.
  • Gaol 8 Nov 2017 09:26:46 3,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I understand any Bowser works.

Don't use it at uncle amiibo.
  • Kay 8 Nov 2017 10:36:11 19,375 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like the two-tier hint system, even with Toad's hints there's still usually a bit of figuring out or platforming skill required to get the moon.

The folding screen level in Bowser's Kingdom is just lovely.
  • Derblington 8 Nov 2017 10:45:30 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JoelStinty
    There isn't really anything like that unfortunately, it doesn't really train you to look for clues to hidden stars. The name is often the biggest help.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2017 10:47:02 31,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:

I didn't even know this was a thing! I had just 3 purple coins left on Cap Kingdom and can confirm Smash Bros Bowser works. They were in a place I'd never have found myself, so would've needed Google anyway.
  • Derblington 8 Nov 2017 10:58:32 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There've been a few kingdoms with tricky last few coins but with a bit of searching they've all been pretty accessible.

The only one I had to use Google for was Forest Kingdom as I had 1 coin missing and they all come in 2 or more, so I had to scour for every set again. There's one set in a crawl space that doesn't register when walking over the coins properly. Even when I found the missing coin I had to walk over it multiple times to pick it up.
  • Gaol 8 Nov 2017 11:29:58 3,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Gaol wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:

I didn't even know this was a thing! I had just 3 purple coins left on Cap Kingdom and can confirm Smash Bros Bowser works. They were in a place I'd never have found myself, so would've needed Google anyway.
    Yeah you can use any Mario for invincibility or any Peach for a top up to 6 hearts, though I'm glad I don't have those so there is no temptation to cheat.

I don't normally buy amiibos but bought the Bowser one to help the kids /cough
  • JoelStinty 8 Nov 2017 11:56:18 5,837 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kay wrote:

The folding screen level in Bowser's Kingdom is just lovely.
    It's awesome isn't it, i can imagine them doing a full game based on that, like a story book 2d mario. You have your typical Mario goodness, but telling a story through the outer fringes of the frame could be really interesting.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 8 Nov 2017 12:52:40 300 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I've finished the main game and have re-visited previous worlds to find they've been filled with frustrating challenges that I can't be arsed with.

It doesn't make sense that you can breeze through the game with very little challenge, but then they offer you levels that NOW test your platforming and control skills to the point of frustration.

I loved the game up until this point. Now it's just turned it into trade-in fodder. Even if there are other word to unlock/explore, I don't feel that I'd be missing out on anything. I kinda wish I'd played it in 60 min bursts rather than 3-4 hour marathons.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game, but I really wish they would have put more challenging sections in throughout the main game rather
    than turning the endgame into the platform equivalent of Dark Souls at times!!
    I just can't be bothered to go on now I've pretty much seen and done everything!

Great game while it lasted, but the honeymoon is over for me now.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2017 13:07:26 6,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:
    It doesn't make sense that you can breeze through the game with very little challenge, but then they offer you levels that NOW test your platforming and control skills to the point of frustration.
    Of course it makes sense, they did it in SM3DW too. They want people to be able to finish the game. Then after that if you want more, it's there. If you don't, for whatever reason, you've still experienced the game. If they'd put the post-game stuff in the main game people like you wouldn't bother finishing it.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Nov 2017 13:37:18 2,698 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You should also note that there is no order in which these challenges have to be done in. If something is too hard, move on and come back later. They don't get gradually harder in each world, rather each world offers a variety of challenges of differing levels.
  • quadfather 8 Nov 2017 14:00:04 29,422 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:
    Of course it makes sense, they did it in SM3DW too. They want people to be able to finish the game. Then after that if you want more, it's there. If you don't, for whatever reason, you've still experienced the game. If they'd put the post-game stuff in the main game people like you wouldn't bother finishing it.
    I agree with both of these points, but once I'd finished and saw what was on offer, it kinda made the main story feel a bit flat imo.

Probably because I love platforming through levels that I've not seen before - that's the thrill for me, as opposed to revisiting the same areas to get difficult/out of the way moons - that seems weaker to me than actual platforming goodness and new areas and exploration.

I guess I like levels more than moons.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 8 Nov 2017 14:03:22 300 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:
    I'm not talking about having all the post game difficult stuff accessible sooner. I mean that I felt it was far too easy throughout the main game itself in general. So when all the challenging stuff finally appears, I'm past caring anyway because I've finished!

Some people are happy to continue collecting stuff for the sake of it or for bragging rights. I don't do trophy or achievement hunting so collecting anything for any other reason except finishing a game is unnecessary in my life.

Theres always been some part of previous Mario games where it's taken you slightly longer to get past a certain part. Losing a few lives, cursing at another mis-timed jump etc.
    I didn't get anything like that with Odyssey and felt it was far too easy.

As previously mentioned in other comments, I think it's probably due to the lack of "platform" sections that challenge your dexterity and
    control mastery. That's what I wanted more of, and earlier on unfortunately.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 8 Nov 2017 14:07:16 300 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:
    I agree with both of these points, but once I'd finished and saw what was on offer, it kinda made the main story feel a bit flat imo.

Probably because I love platforming through levels that I've not seen before - that's the thrill for me, as opposed to revisiting the same areas to get difficult/out of the way moons - that seems weaker to me than actual platforming goodness and new areas and exploration.

FFS, I could have saved myself all the effort of my above post if I'd have noticed yours first lol.

You've basically nailed what I was trying to get across.

Once the game finished, it throws certain challenges at you that could have done to be in the main game imo.

But agree 100%, levels over moons!!
  • Phattso 8 Nov 2017 14:08:57 21,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:
    Some people are happy to continue collecting stuff for the sake of it or for bragging rights. I don't do trophy or achievement hunting so collecting anything for any other reason except finishing a game is unnecessary in my life.
    That's reductive at best, and wrong at worst. Some people, believe it or not, play a game for the fun of playing the game. You know, the actual playing part. A story is a nice framing device, but for something as mechanically sound as a Mario game just pootling about is a perfectly valid way to be entertained.

It's not all teenagers frotting themselves blind over achievement lists. :)

After declaring, like yourself, that I was binning the post-game because it was too tough... I found that plenty of areas actually have mid-tier challenges that are pitched just right to me.

Bragging rights? Who the fuck brags over 100%ing a video game outside of the schoolyard?
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Nov 2017 14:10:33 38,786 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:
    ging stuff finally appears, I'm past caring anyway because I've finished!

But that's not the same thing - there are dozens upon dozens of small levels, platforming sections and whatnot hidden in the game - arguably the best sections the game has to offer. That's hardly comparable to achievement hunting. It's the meat of the game(play).

The story is bobbins, anyway. To me, it feels like I am playing the proper game - kind of a go where you like, open-world platformer, if you want - now that I am done with the story.

Of course, things may differ if you already collected the majority of moons during your playthrough.

Edited by UncleLou at 14:13:41 08-11-2017
  • Derblington 8 Nov 2017 14:12:43 29,631 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:
    The reason here is to "finish the game". There are new areas to unlock and some new challenges to continue. New mechanics, new puzzles.
    You didn't seriously play Mario for the story of rescuing the Princess? That's not where the game ends.

You don't have to play it, it's your time to spend, but you've not finished the game at the point of defeating Bowser.
  • TitanWarlord93 8 Nov 2017 14:12:50 174 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Okay. Just beaten the story with 150 moons and I am now going to see if I can spare some time to collect 800 moons to unlock secrets.

All in all I really enjoyed it. I would go back and collect everything for bonuses so if I have the time I will go and do that which I will at some point.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Nov 2017 14:19:37 1,247 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Personally speaking I'm glad the main story is "easy". I loved Mario 64 but never got anywhere near finishing it and never saw half the worlds that were on offer. With this game, I'll be able to see everything and then pop back and explore some more. I've lived the exploring I've done when I've gone back. Some moons are too tough, others I can do and that's the fun.

Feels nice that I'll actually (hopefully) finish the main story in a mario game. In that respect I think they've done a great job opening the game out to a wider audience, as they did with Zelda (I've never gotten very far with one of those either).
  • DaM 8 Nov 2017 14:25:28 16,845 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can't actually remember if I finished off SM64. I might have come close.
    I'd definitely buy a remastered version for the Switch!
  • rice_sandwich 8 Nov 2017 14:28:24 3,247 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The ending bit in New Donkey City with the 2d Mario game is the best thing I've seen in a video game for a long while. Might have had some dust in my eye.
  • Psiloc 8 Nov 2017 14:38:40 4,097 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:

Yeah this is me. I don't race to the end of these things and I do a fair bit of exploring, but in a fairly linear level-by-level kind of way and I'm never likely to replay a game to collect everything. Sort of like the Korok seeds in Zelda. I enjoyed finding them and I went out of my to look for them if something caught my eye, but I never once made it my mission to hunt Korok seeds.
  • Page

of 62 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.