Vostok Inc. - Twin stick shooter meets idle clicker Page 12

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• dadrester 8 Dec 2017 13:22:05 2,489 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @monkman76

Clickers AREa waste of time. I've found myself playing them thinking "I'm literally minutes closer to death, why aren't I learning to play the piano, or learning to speak Japanese or something instead".

It's a feeling of guilt for not being more wholesome and productive with my time I've never really experienced with other types of game. But I was hooked, in the same way I was when I first played Final Fantasy 7 (my first JRPG). There's an odd sense of euphoria watching the numbers grow. Knowing that something is just 15 seconds out of reach.

I also always liked shooters like Geometry Wars and Super Stardust, but didn't feel like I was ever progressing, like they were missing something.

At the core you're spending most of your time shooting, but your mind is on building stuff on planets, so you don't feel like you're just watching numbers going up and not doing anything else, because you're constantly on your way somewhere. It's kind of like playing 40 instances of a clicker and managing your time between them by flying between planets and shooting stuff... with satisfying explosions and kerching sounds as you pick up moolah.

As least that's how I feel when I play :D
  • monkman76 8 Dec 2017 13:24:14 12,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dadrester Sounds good, thanks for the response :)
  • rice_sandwich 8 Dec 2017 13:47:25 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've mostly been avoiding shooting stuff. The frame rate is a teeny bit off when there's a lot of stuff on screen in undocked mode on the Switch.
  • dadrester 8 Dec 2017 13:52:02 2,489 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Really? We've been mostly testing in undocked I think and it'd been solid 60. We just rolled out a major patch to Vita that gets back loads of framerate but Switch day 1 patch was already ready so those optimisations didn't make it. If we patch Switch we'll get those optimisations in plus turn down rumble.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Dec 2017 14:01:16 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @dadrester

When I say teeny, I mean it. I was playing on the train this morning and there were quite a few of the big windy snakes on screen. It seemed to judder for a moment or two. But, come to think of it, it could have been the rumble distracting me and thinking the frame rate was a little juddery at that one point. Apart from that my experience has been super stable and I have no complaints at all.

It's good fun and I'd recommend everyone who has a Switch who likes twin stick shooters and building stuff to get it. Good work.
  • Addy_B 8 Dec 2017 15:50:23 2,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I'm having withdrawals. I need more Moolah and new weapons.
  • Flying_Pig 8 Dec 2017 21:48:42 15,572 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Playing this again tonight - getting my planets up to M30 trillion per second - each :)

I've also got 36 middle managers tucked away

Edit: trillion, not billion :p

Edited by Flying_Pig at 20:56:47 09-12-2017
  • Addy_B 9 Dec 2017 07:45:35 2,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Jeez this bloody game. Another 3 hours on it last night. Only on the 2nd system with a fair bit to do. I'm generating cash rapido now and have lots of upgrades.
  • TheBear 9 Dec 2017 10:41:30 4,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, I'm glad I bought this. Really brings out the money obsessed lunatic in me. Brilliant stuff

Edited by TheBear at 10:42:55 09-12-2017
  • D_arkTrooper 9 Dec 2017 14:30:08 1,468 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bought this too after reading all the positives in this thread. Great game and I actually use my Switch now.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Dec 2017 14:43:26 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just about to wrap up the 3rd system. Just when you think you have a lot of money you discover that you need about a trillion times more!
  • rice_sandwich 10 Dec 2017 15:10:45 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @dadrester

My game stats in the Switch say that I've rescued zero managers. Is that the little astronaut guys or something else? As I've rescued loads of them.
  • Addy_B 10 Dec 2017 15:39:30 2,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @rice_sandwich

Not looked at mine. Will take a gander and see what mine says. I'm also on the 3rd system. It's my favourite so far. I love the friendly music and it seems more chilled out....besides things trying to kill you.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Dec 2017 16:03:12 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Addy_B

Enjoy it as things ramp up substantially in the 4th world. I'm just starting the 5th world now.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Dec 2017 20:43:29 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just have the final boss to unlock but I'm miles away from it despite earning multiple trillions per second.
  • Flying_Pig 11 Dec 2017 10:26:12 15,572 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I just have the final boss to unlock but I'm miles away from it despite earning multiple trillions per second.
    Yeah, the gap between the penultimate boss and final one is huge - I've been going back to previous systems over and over again, to increase my earnings (now up to about M15 quadrillion a second) and upgrade my ship.

While I think I could do the final boss now, I want to fully upgrade my ship which will cost an insane amount of money, so more upgrading my planets needed :)

Super game, though, I've played it a lot over the weekend :)
  • rice_sandwich 11 Dec 2017 11:06:48 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Flying_Pig

Yeah, the end game requires an insane amount of money. I'm only earning about 20 to 50 trillion per planet atm. I need to build some of the ultra ultra expensive stuff to break into getting quadrillions but it takes ages to get enough money.

I might leave the game idle for a few hours. I guess this is the worst aspect of clicker games. I would've preferred a smaller gap as all I'm doing now is waiting and trying to rescue as many managers as possible for their bonuses.

I now have 1 manager rescued in my stats page so it looks like it only counts particular varieties and not all of them.
  • richyroo 11 Dec 2017 13:43:05 119 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I bought this game last night and played it for about 3 hours so far. Very addictive little game. Its nice to have some goals and something to aim for when I'm out there shooting things up and I love twin stick shooters.

I bought this from the South Africa store. Does the dev lose out on income by me doing this? I wouldnt like to think that I have short changed them by doing this?
  • rice_sandwich 11 Dec 2017 21:30:43 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Beat the last boss in about 3 seconds after grinding managers for 10 minutes to get the x2 cash bonus. An enjoyable game all things considered.
  • erniewhatbert 11 Dec 2017 22:18:46 2,817 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich how long to complete? I'm at the third world at the moment.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Dec 2017 23:34:10 3,252 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @richyroo I don't know for sure, but if imagine so. The Stardew Valley devs asked kindly that people bought copies of their game from their respective country's eShop, acknowledging how easy it was to get around on the Switch.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2017 06:09:23 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @erniewhatbert

Hard to say really as it depends on your approach. Maybe about 10 to 15 hours. I spent less time on the last world than any other once I focused on getting manager bonuses. If I hadn't done that it would've taken much longer.
  • Flying_Pig 12 Dec 2017 12:58:47 15,572 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @erniewhatbert

Hard to say really as it depends on your approach. Maybe about 10 to 15 hours. I spent less time on the last world than any other once I focused on getting manager bonuses. If I hadn't done that it would've taken much longer.
    I'm way beyond that - I've spent ages on the last system and am currently working to get my planets generating around 1 quadrillion per second, each :)
  • dadrester 12 Dec 2017 13:00:55 2,489 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Good spot! That's definitely a bug. It's still counting them but must be displaying the wrong thing.

[edit] It's my fault. I misunderstood the stat it was tracking, but it's been in there from day 1. It's one that tracks the number of managers collected in a short space of time, which at one point was an objective.

Edited by dadrester at 13:20:43 12-12-2017
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2017 13:27:04 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @dadrester

Fair enough, not a bug then. The stat did move from zero to one by the time I beat the final boss though.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2017 13:36:49 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Flying_Pig

All I can say that Vostok really proves the point that clicker games are a huge waste of time! It is quite addictive and seeing the number stack up is curiously compelling though. It also illustrates nicely how people with loads of money always want more and are never satisfied.
  • dadrester 12 Dec 2017 14:12:17 2,489 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I think it's a legit bug, but unless we patch anything else we won't fix. It can be called the "rice_sandwich" bug!
  • dadrester 12 Dec 2017 14:14:08 2,489 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Flying_Pig

All I can say that Vostok really proves the point that clicker games are a huge waste of time! It is quite addictive and seeing the number stack up is curiously compelling though. It also illustrates nicely how people with loads of money always want more and are never satisfied.
    Job Done. Actual Spoiler Boss of final system points exactly this out.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2017 14:25:36 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @dadrester

If you patch it I'd consider making the unicorn weapon a bit weaker. It demolishes bosses when its power is 25, which isn't even the top rating. Of course that would probably throw everything else out of whack. The game is a great fit on the Switch so hopefully you'll get good sales.
  • dadrester 12 Dec 2017 15:05:30 2,489 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich noted, hope so too on the sales. Wired, the publisher for the Switch version have been doing a great job on the PR side, so fingers crossed. They sent out our codes in this cool little package...

• Page

of 13 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.