Eurogamer constantly late with reviews

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • spongebob 24 Oct 2016 13:28:35 265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I appreciate the aim for quality, but seriously why is this major gaming site time and time again putting out review content out so late? I totally understand it when there is no review codes sent out early enough, like with Doom. But what about the numerous other games, that took days and days to appear on this site? Latest case would be Civilization VI, which has been in stores for a few days already.

It would be nice to read the review before the game comes out or at least on the same day. That would actually help my decision on buying something. Now these EG reviews are just something nice to read, but they have no purpose as real reviews.

Oh, and I have to say that the iPhone 7 review was a prime example of being totally too late.

Edited by spongebob at 13:29:25 24-10-2016
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Oct 2016 13:32:14 30,561 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I prefer superbob.
  • Rivuzu 24 Oct 2016 13:35:57 16,462 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @spongebob They've explained their policy on this multiple times.

They don't release the reviews on launch, only after a suitable amount of play time after launch and after day 1 patches and issues. And for multiplayer focused games, they will only review it once the servers are up and stable.

It's to reflect the game itself fully, rather than just the journo version they play test beforehand.
  • the_dudefather 24 Oct 2016 13:38:44 10,416 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Where's the Steven's Sausage Roll review?
  • richarddavies 24 Oct 2016 13:40:21 5,977 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah this shit makes me sick spongebob. SICK!!

Fucking scumbags better pull there finger out or I'm gonna ask for my money back.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Oct 2016 13:41:24 4,224 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am happy with their wait and see/play approach

I can't afford a lot of new games so prefer the considered opinion of someone who has spent more than an afternoon playing them.
  • Fourfoldroot 24 Oct 2016 13:49:04 2,382 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @spongebob

They are constantly late with everything and never really moderate the forums properly, yet they are still my favourite gaming site. Maybe run close by Dualshockers.com due to their greater focus on my type of games...not sure why to be honest...maybe the in depth technical articles. Could do without this move towards political commentary though, don't want them turning into a Polygon!
  • porkface Features Editor, Gamer Network 24 Oct 2016 13:50:30 8 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hullo!

So, with Civ 6 we weren't given code until last Thursday at 5pm. As to why that is, you'll have to ask 2K.

We've had a review policy in place the past couple of years about only reviewing from final retail code and on live, populated servers - which is why things like Battlefield will crop up after you might see them on other sites. It's a policy we're happy with, as we want to review the game you'll be playing rather than one that's presented to us in controlled conditions. We do endeavour to get impressions pieces up in cases like this to go up on embargo so you have some idea of our thoughts ahead of the game's release!

Hope that makes some sort of sense.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 24 Oct 2016 13:51:15 47,051 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    edit: ^^^^ WOT HE SAID INNIT

Edited by MrTomFTW at 13:58:14 24-10-2016
  • Syrette 24 Oct 2016 14:12:54 49,091 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @spongebob

If you're reliant on reviews to help determine whether you buy something or not, why can't you just look elsewhwre (IGN etc)?
  • Load_2.0 24 Oct 2016 14:19:24 25,584 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Still waiting for a review of Aventures of Dog Faced Knight.

FOUR YEARS OVERDUE!
  • ibenam 24 Oct 2016 14:24:39 3,068 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Too busy posting gems like this
  • LittleSparra 24 Oct 2016 14:43:14 6,764 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They've still never reviewed the king of games, EUIV.
  • neilka 24 Oct 2016 16:30:41 20,444 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Where's the Steven's Sausage Roll review?
    :(
  • DrStrangelove 24 Oct 2016 16:34:42 11,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It depends a lot on what game it's about. After getting Call of Duty, you can tell within 10 minutes it's rubbish. But Civ 6, I don't know if it's even possible to form a well-founded judgement after a week.
  • bone-on 24 Oct 2016 17:18:52 193 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They did post a review for the new iphone 7 at weekend so shut up....... pffft games. I mean seriously who comes here looking for games reviews.

With eurogamer outside of major releases they just dont bother reviewing anything. The odd select obscure pick from steam doesn't change that fact.

Edited by bone-on at 17:21:02 24-10-2016
  • Daryoon 24 Oct 2016 17:34:59 5,863 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Is waiting a few days/weeks to buy a game really that much of a bother? Can you only enjoy it if you get it Day One?
  • Fake_Blood 24 Oct 2016 17:39:00 7,636 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Is waiting a few days/weeks to buy a game really that much of a bother? Can you only enjoy it if you get it Day One?
    Oh sure, you don't want to miss the hype train.
  • spongebob 24 Oct 2016 18:55:19 265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thank you for your answers.

@Syrette
    As you probably noticed I've been a member (and a reader) of EG for over a decade now. I used to enjoy EG a lot before and I still do to some extent. It is just the review department seems to be really lagging in many ways. Actually the news, too, as they mostly concentrate on a few topics. I still like EG. That might change, though.

@porkface
    I get your reasoning. It's just most of the time I find it hard to read the difference between your reviews and the ones that are made earlier. Now I am not talking about games with online components, which most definitely benefit from your approach. In fact, there hardly is any point to writing about online sections before the real release, since as everyone knows, the online experience needs some time and other players. But really, does a bug or two, make a difference in a narrative single-player game experience? You look past those, maybe report them, but you can still give it a fair review.

Personally, I think the way how you make a release of a "major" game a week or two long event, with multiple articles, news stories, guides and so forth, resembles more advertising than journalism. I get that you need to put out text and big games are what most people wait for. Still, most of the time now, the actual review becomes completely forgotten in the process. Like who cares if the game was not that good, when you already made your site about it for a week or two. Add to that the fact that your review might come later than sooner, and your opinion has become almost irrelevant. You've already written previews, early glances and so forth, but since you can't put your REAL thoughts on those, they're nearly puff.

@bone-on
    The reason why I wrote iPhone 7 as an example is because the review was ridiculously late. The phone was available in stores over a month ago. Surely no one needed this review anymore. All media outlets had already covered it. Not to mention if it is even necessary for EG to review phones. They have stopped reviewing mobile games altogether already, so what's the use.

I agree with you 100% on the fact that EG doesn't concentrate enough on smaller games. They also pay too much attention to few titles instead of giving more exposure to more games. Even if the sausage game neilka loves is mostly a meme now here, it's a perfect example how interesting games go unnoticed on this site.

@Daryoon
    If I have waited for a game for months, even years, surely I'd like to read about it as soon as possible. And if I am one of those people who still want to make sure the game is worth the wait (instead of just blindly buying it on day one) I'd like to read a review. That's basically what reviews are for when it comes to consumer products or, why not, art as well. If there's a new play/movie/exhibition opening I might want to know how it is before I go check it out. Most media try their best to put out their reviews as soon as possible. When it comes to movies and music, the reviews are more than often out before the release date. Guess why? So, the people can use the information when they decide if they want to spend money and their time.

Edited by spongebob at 18:56:00 24-10-2016
  • Daryoon 24 Oct 2016 18:58:08 5,863 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Movies and music don't involve tens of hours of investment before the reviewer can come to a reasoned conclusion.

And that still doesn't answer why you need something Day One. If you've waited for so long, what's an extra week so you can get a proper consensus?
  • DrStrangelove 24 Oct 2016 19:25:14 11,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Movies and music don't involve tens of hours of investment before the reviewer can come to a reasoned conclusion.
    Talking about music, oftentimes not, but in my experience tens of hours can make quite a difference at times. There's stuff you instantly love, you'd give it 10/10 within ten minutes, but you'll be weary of it in no time. Then when there's something new from NIN, you just don't get it, but after listening to it a lot of times you beging to appreciate it. One or two years later, you listen to the NIN stuff to no end but completely forgot about that "10/10" pop/rock song.
  • spongebob 24 Oct 2016 19:33:35 265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Daryoon
    Because there is a release date, because it is available then. Of course you could question the idea of buying anything as soon as it is available. Probably it would always be better to wait like a year, so you have already tried the game yourself somewhere and it doesn't even cost that much. I find your question unnecessary. Yeah, you can wait, but you also might not want to.

Maybe the BIGGEST point of all, and the one I forgot to put down in the original post, is the fact, that to me the idea of media reviews is the fact I get information that is not out there otherwise. When media can't review, criticize or comment on products/art in a timely fashion on their site or pages, in our day and time you turn to other outlets. Like, maybe you read what regular people who play games think of the game (since it is already out) or watch regular people play and say what they think. Sure, they may not be as good with words, but enough people will give you a nice overall picture. And then you really don't need that "real" review anymore. This is when you start thinking if it's really even worthwhile checking out some sites for their opinions.
  • FuzzyDucky 24 Oct 2016 19:35:44 2,393 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Daryoon wrote:

And that still doesn't answer why you need something Day One. If you've waited for so long, what's an extra week so you can get a proper consensus?
    You've clearly never written a music review, especially for something you're hearing for the first time.
  • porkface Features Editor, Gamer Network 24 Oct 2016 19:44:45 8 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @spongebob with single-player games we often go live before release unless there's a substantial day one patch. It's patches like that make us want to wait more than anything else - quite often early reviews are done on debug hardware, and that's something I'd like to avoid as it doesn't reflect the experience everyone else will have. We try to put as much opinion as we can into preview pieces (and that can cause problems with publishers but we'll stick to it - it might even be the reason we're sometimes not given code for a handful of recent games in a timely fashion), as well as any critical piece coming up to the launch, so you're still informed ahead of a release, but the term review is pretty much shorthand for a thorough examination of all aspects of a game which can take a fair amount of time.

I appreciate the situation isn't 100% ideal at the moment and we're looking to make some tweaks, with more pieces of critical writing about a game before and during its launch. I hope that they don't come across as advertising in the occasions we do actually really like a game, which does happen!

Interested to know any other thoughts you have, and happy to listen. After we ditched scores and implemented our new review policy a short while back we're still figuring some things out, and obviously there's plenty of room for improvement.
  • spongebob 24 Oct 2016 19:56:34 265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @porkface
    Thank you for this reply. It's sad that the day one patching has made your work so much harder. I look forward for the tweaks and improvements.
  • Youthist 24 Oct 2016 20:08:18 12,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow they gave a proper reply to him and everything
  • craigy Staff 24 Oct 2016 20:36:26 9,155 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DrStrangelove you get bonus points for using NIN in your example. \o/
  • Deleted user 24 October 2016 20:39:26
    Still no answer re Stuart's Sausage Roll
  • Baihu1983 24 Oct 2016 20:39:49 9,136 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's more the complete lack of reviews for many games that bothers me the most.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.