I think I'm getting soft...

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • GrayFox 21 May 2005 17:32:33 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Before you sarcastic bastards pick it up - No, I don't have erection problems ;).

The thing is, lately I noticed I don't like killing digital people.

I just catch myself thinking..." Huh, a minute ago in a cutscene this guy was just talking about his family and now I painted the interior with his blood... - perfect. " or

"Damn, he's a civilian. Now he's shaking and begging me not to shoot, but I know the minute I turn around the bastard will run and call the guards. Developers just wrote this stupid instruction for him, It's all he do... Ahh... (reloads shotgun)...meh..(bang!)"(Red Faction)

...but best example must be MGS3.

"Ok here I am. The swamp. Ahhhh...just nicely put this guy to sleep with a tranqualizer. I didn't have to do break his neck, shoot his brain out or even cut his face! But...Shit, the patrol is coming...If they find him, they'll wake him up and all was for nothing. Eh..the swamp...Ok, so here I am now, drowning a sleeping man in swamp, wondering if he had awaken the sec before the mud stuffed his mouth and nose, bloking his ability to breathe. That is quite horrible way to die... I'm not quite happy with what I did.....

Or similar times when you have 3 guys taken out, sleeping and back up comes which will wake them up if you don't act quick. So you just shoot them in the head while they're sleeping and later notice that their bodies went stiff while carring. MGS2 and 3 are quite realistic in this stuff. You can see diferent face (or eyes) mimicks when the guy is dead and alive...closed eyes. Ofcourse MGS is quite reasonable game, not a gore theater. You can play it through not killing anyone (or almost anyone) maybe that's why the killings are made so "visual".

The older I get the softer I am. Strange thing because I was always totally for gaming bloodfests if it was fun and I'm actually a bit of cold type (the ladies say).

It's not exacly that I started to think like " Stop violence in videogames!"- maniacs, but I'm quite sure I don't want to ultra realistic death simulations in future next gen games.

Ohhhh, look, what realism! He's begging for his life, knees shaking, here how realisticly his voice brakes down? Oh man! Tears! I can see him crying! Now, just look what will happen when I shoot his groin." - It would seem laughable(statement) for me years ago. But now, I think, It's possible, seeing that often developers like showoff their animation technology and tricks implemented in those "badguy dying" moments.

Didn't the games were made to be fun and unrealistic as a getaway from real life in the first place?

So, are you also getting softer? ;]

Sorry for the long post ;\.

Edited by GrayFox at 17:33:56 21-05-2005
  • morriss 21 May 2005 17:35:23 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In a word, yes.
  • Errol 21 May 2005 17:45:30 12,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah.

/puts a bullet in the back of innocent civilian head.
  • GrayFox 21 May 2005 17:49:32 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Errol wrote:
    Nah.

/puts a bullet in the back of innocent civilian head.

LOL ;D
  • GrayFox 21 May 2005 18:01:14 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /searches for trailer
  • Flib 21 May 2005 18:13:13 328 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I'm getting softer too. The other day I was playing Jedi outcast and found myself questioning the morality of it all as I had my character brutally slaughter several platoons of star troopers.

I mean, those people had no choice but to join the empire, and just because they're clones don't make their lives anymore disposable. I bet some of the admirals even had wives and kids too.

Oh what have I done!

Edited by Flib at 18:13:23 21-05-2005
  • Dirtbox 21 May 2005 18:17:18 79,210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm softer socially, but in games I'm still an evil sadist.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• The-Old-Bill 21 May 2005 18:21:26 5,101 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I often knock people out if it's an option, in fact I'll go out of my way to do it.

I have no idea why though, never really thought of it before.
  • souljah 21 May 2005 18:45:06 4,701 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am quite sadistic when it comes to games. I usually shoot everything that can be shot (if I can get away with it)>
    To be honest though, I am quite wary of how realist everything in-game is getting, and I will start becoming soft when a character becomes too realistic. Then in the year 2020, my sulky teenage son will be blowing up, stabbing and slicing a perfect image of me because I took away his smokes.

Little prick.
  • souljah 21 May 2005 18:51:21 4,701 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Smokes. Tsk. You have a lot to learn about the future in 2020. Tsk, smokes.

Yup, smokes. In the future, cigarettes will be 80% filter and 20% smokey bit. Saw it in a moving picture I did!
  • GrayFox 21 May 2005 18:53:59 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think your son will not bother with pretending to kill you ;).
  • The-Old-Bill 21 May 2005 18:55:01 5,101 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Most likely it'll be Heroin's rather than smoke's.
  • Hurleybird 21 May 2005 19:18:09 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tell you what, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, when you have to shoot that bird in the lift only on the instruction from the guy back at base!

Man I was in a complete quandary. Really didn't like doing that!!
  • cubbymoore 21 May 2005 21:18:27 36,507 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nope, no softieness here. In games or in real life.

/kicks defenseless puppy
  • bignose 21 May 2005 21:28:25 81 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found that in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory if the person I was interrogating was coming out with some of the more amusing lines (wet towel, ninja etc.) I felt a bit bad about getting rid of them and just gave them the non lethal choke hold.

And then I had a little cry.
  • Pandora-Panorama 22 May 2005 01:05:28 55 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    heh. I know exactly what you're talking about. That's why I couldn't finish Deus Ex. At some point I didn't have any more tranquilizer darts and all other non-lethal tactics didn't work out after multiple tries ... so I gave up after a couple of days.

However, this only happens in games where I am given the choice (and it is my responsibility). I am an efficient killing machines in others...
  • Errol 22 May 2005 08:42:09 12,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pandora Panorama wrote:
    heh. I know exactly what you're talking about. That's why I couldn't finish Deus Ex. At some point I didn't have any more tranquilizer darts and all other non-lethal tactics didn't work out after multiple tries ... so I gave up after a couple of days.

However, this only happens in games where I am given the choice (and it is my responsibility). I am an efficient killing machines in others...

In Deus Ex I killed everybody.

My attitude was that nobody could be allowed to live because they all knew too much.
  • BartonFink 22 May 2005 11:43:15 35,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh just started playing Doom3 (Xbox) yesterday and was wondering for a while at the very start of the game "when the hell will I have a gun I wanna shoot something". Lo and behold I get to the lower level of Mars city and finally the guy at the gate gives me a gun. Now what is the first thing I try to do? Shoot him through the glass. "Damnit didn't work!" move on to the next area. What do I find only an innocent civilian going about his duties. What do I do for his sins, shoot the poor fucker in the head. What was I thinking? "Hey nice ragdoll physics"
  • read_only 22 May 2005 12:24:39 147 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't really like guns and violence in films or games. I found recently playing Resident Evil 4 that aiming for head shots and being rewarded by explosion of brains and blood was rather disturbing. Never really minded Resi games before because the things you were shooting were obviously evil automaton fiends and there was a James Bond style "shoot them a bit and they fall over" approach. Head shots just make it all a little more bloodthirsty in my opinion.

• Deleted user 22 May 2005 14:02:24
    I can be such a radical bast when I want to be, whether its in games or maybe even my social life. But then as I go on about how certain people just deserve to die in this world and how some shouldn't even be given any respect or treated as humans I then think to myself when it comes to being tempted to just punch somebody in the face "Why? Violence isn't really the answer for this is it?" so I end up either cowarding off or just trying my best to ignore them as they're totally pissing me off or whatever it is they're doing to make me want to hit them in a way. Then on the other hand, if I'm playing a game I don't even give a shit whom or what I kill! Whether it be putting a bullet through an innocent family mans skull or getting a few police officers off my tail by dicing them all up with a chainsaw when they were only doing they're job in GTA it means nothing to me.

However, when I was playing the original Getaway game I remember taking some poor woman hostage off the street at random one time and despite her begging me not to shoot her I still had no choice but to blow her brains out with my pistol as I was unable to let her go. She could've been a loving single mum of several kids for all I know, why did I have to do that? :/
  • cubbymoore 22 May 2005 14:06:12 36,507 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, feeling sorry for computer generated two dimensional flickering lights. What has the world come to?
  • Deleted user 22 May 2005 14:09:02
    /throws a newborn in pond
  • Errol 22 May 2005 14:13:11 12,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When I conquer a city in R:TW, I invariably exterminate the populus.

The amount of hatred I feel towards those who oppose my might is quite unreasonable sometimes.
  • ChocNut 22 May 2005 14:56:19 2,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh my God - yes, how come you can't just let them go in Getaway? I mean the guy's basically good - surely there should be an option not to shoot everyone once youve used them as a hostage/whatever?

That annoyed me that did.

Funnily enough I was showing a mate Max Payne 2 a year or so back. The graphics were very realistic I thought so I hand the controls over to him to see what he thinks.

Queue him going up to the old lady in the red dress (nattering about the guys living upstairs or something) and simply blowing her head off (laughing his ass off of course).

I was quite shocked - she was a really decent old lady who helps you through her apartment and he just shoots her? My shock at the realism of it made him laugh all the more and he shot every civ he saw from then on...
  • Deleted user 22 May 2005 15:20:27
    ChocNut wrote:
    Oh my God - yes, how come you can't just let them go in Getaway? I mean the guy's basically good - surely there should be an option not to shoot everyone once youve used them as a hostage/whatever?

My point exactly, it was like in the second mission of the game when you had to set fire to that restaurant. It was full of innocent people (alot of them who were friends of his iirc), so why was it such a hard choice between friends and family?

• GrayFox 22 May 2005 15:22:13 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ChocNut wrote:

+1
    I was standing there for 10 minutes checking various button combinations. Only way to let go is shooting them in the head - developers where is your good taste?
  • Ecanem 22 May 2005 15:25:23 5,035 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only thing I like about PES (on pc with patch) is that it really looks like some of the footballers, and it gives me immense satisfaction being able to injure them... Is that Viera with the ball? he's MINE!! >=)
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next