Gravity Rush 2 Page 8

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Next
  • Barrel_Trollz 4 Feb 2017 05:11:31 743 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Chapter 14 stealth wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There's always a simple route through the levels, you just have to find it.

Edited by Barrel_Trollz at 05:11:53 04-02-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Feb 2017 05:18:26 2,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Barrel_Trollz wrote:
    Chapter 14 stealth wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There's always a simple route through the levels, you just have to find it.
    That's the problem though, it's on-rails stealth that punishes you for being creative. Actually, it's not even stealth, it's just trying to find a pre-determined path as set out by the developers.

I've made the credits roll. Dunno what I'm supposed to be doing now, Damned if I'm scouring every island to try and trigger an event.

Think this will go down as my biggest let down of the year. Music and art direction are easy 10/10, game itself is a 5/10 at best :(
  • SomaticSense 4 Feb 2017 17:19:31 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Put a couple of hours in now. Not long arrived at the city from the demo.

It's a delightful game. Like the first it has it's flaws, but it oozes infectious charm and is as much a joy to play around in as the best Nintendo games.

I'm liking it a lot more than the first (and I really liked the first), which I think is down to the hugely increased scope of everything. I was disappointed with how familiar the demo felt, but having access to the full world made me realise that Sony did exactly what they should've done: take what made the gameplay feel special in the original, but expand everything, and set it in much bigger, more detailed, and even more aesthetically pleasing locations. They made a liberating game feel even more liberating, and made it a place wherein you yearn to express that freedom even moreso.

And huge props to the online Treasure Hunts. Such a simple idea, but so, so good. It's one of the best uses of an open world for a game mode I've seen. Ingenious and obvious at the same time. Ubi take note.

Edited by SomaticSense at 17:20:40 04-02-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Feb 2017 17:34:30 2,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The treasure hunts lose their charm when loads of the missions have you wandering around looking for something...
  • Barrel_Trollz 4 Feb 2017 18:58:09 743 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I take it you don't like exploring.
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Feb 2017 19:09:02 2,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Floating about exploring the place was my favourite part of the game, but the missions were that, combat or stealth. Just no variation.

Plus you weren't really exploring for rewards or anything. Would've preferred it as a walking (floating) simulaulator tbh.
  • SomaticSense 4 Feb 2017 19:19:12 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quick question about talismans.

I've noticed there's three slots, each representing the three gravity styles. Do the talismans equipped in each affect all the styles? Or does, for example, a talisman equipped in the Lunar slot only affect you when you are using Lunar?
  • FuzzyDucky 4 Feb 2017 19:25:22 2,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @SomaticSense There's certain tailsmen/perks that will state a specific style only, the ones without explicitly stating a style are applied universally.
  • SomaticSense 4 Feb 2017 19:27:09 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh cool, thanks :)
  • SomaticSense 10 Feb 2017 15:25:35 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've put a fair few hours into it now (on mission 11, and have done a whole bunch of sidequests), and I totally see where Fuzzy's coming from.

I'm conflicted. Kat is as lovable a protagonist as ever, the grav powers are even more fun, it's visually outstanding, and the world design is a huge step up. But the mission design seems to vary between decent, mediocre, or complete garbage. It's hugely enjoyable in fleeting moments, but too often it chooses to become a fun vampire and tempts me to fire up another game instead.

Fuzzy nailed it with the opinion of it being a 10/10 game with 5/10 missions. There's so much potential with the IP, but it feels like this team just doesn't know how to translate Kat's powers into enjoyable mission design even after being given the whole of GR1 to figure it out.

I wonder it the scale needs to be brought down a lot. The open world is fantastic, but side quests seem to exist just because it's the done thing to do for an open-world game, not because they are fun or need to be there. It feels way too big for it's own good, with the gameplay not justifying the amount of content, and I'm feeling this as someone who isn't even halfway through.
  • chrisp 17 Feb 2017 18:02:31 1,013 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I agree with much of this sentiment. I am mostly enjoying this game but at the same time am being reminded of what I disliked about the first one: tedious side quests. I've just done the one with the dog and the frisbee - please tell me it doesn't get any worse because that was one of the least fun things I've done in a video game for a long time.

When I was playing Yakuza I was completely hooked - I poured 84 hours into it and that time just flew by. This, on the other hand, really does feel like it's best played in smaller doses.

It does look absolutely lovely, though, and the characters are great.
  • chrisp 22 Feb 2017 00:18:54 1,013 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Encountered an incredibly irritating glitch during Epidode 20 - completed a boss fight and a cutscene started, then after a couple of seconds the screen went black (aside from the loading icon) although I could still hear sound effects/dialogue for some time. Eventually the next stage of the battle started.

I checked it out on youtube and it turns out it was quite a signficant cutscene I missed. Really quite annoying. Just a bug/glitch, I guess, although I can't find any other mention of it from googling. I replayed the episode and the cutscene worked fine second time. Strange.

Edit: Actually I found another mention of this glitch on a different forum, although in that case it happened in different cutscenes.

Edited by chrisp at 00:29:59 22-02-2017
  • RelaxedMikki 21 Mar 2017 00:57:21 2,044 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked this up on a whim yesterday.

Pretty sure I will really enjoy it, as long as I take it in small doses. The flying around is all kinds of fun, but I can see what everyone means about the missions

Coincidently, turns out the free 'Raven' dlc is out some point today. So, erm, that's even more stuff to play...
  • Graxlar_v2 21 Mar 2017 08:29:47 7,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    interestingly, i played a bit more of this last night. It was really nice to get flowing again so will focus on clearing everything on it before i play anything else now.
  • Derblington 22 Mar 2017 12:43:17 29,041 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    50% off for Plus subbers.
    Which means I'm now in!
  • chrisp 22 Mar 2017 13:12:52 1,013 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just googled to see when the free Raven DLC was going to be released and apparently it's out already.

Struggling to tear myself away from Zelda BoTW at the moment but will turn to this free DLC next I think.
  • chrisp 29 Mar 2017 13:39:31 1,013 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So has anyone checked out the free DLC yet? I'm engrossed in Zelda at the moment but will probably check it out after that.
  • Graxlar_v2 2 Apr 2017 08:50:44 7,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    All side and challenge missions done \o/ just the last chapter of missions to go and ravens choice dlc. Then I will decide if it is worth going for the plat
  • Graxlar_v2 3 Apr 2017 00:16:12 7,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    And Graviy rush 2 has been completed... just in time for persona 5 to be delivered tomorrow. I won't delete it as I will prob go for the plat at some point and I want to play ravens missions.
  • chrisp 5 Apr 2017 14:02:23 1,013 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I quite enjoyed the Raven DLC, although I'd completely lost the plot story-wise (had to read a wikipedia summary of what happened in the first one, which I played some time ago, to make any sense of it).
  • GoodForm 1 Jul 2017 09:28:56 1,627 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The game's gameplay tasks are often overly mundane and borderline mindnumblingly boring, yet most of them do flesh out the world, which gives them their own kind of charm.

However, some of the side missions/challenge missions are so poorly designed, so ill-conceived, so frustratingly broken - they pretty much make me want to deinstall the game and write it off completely.

Like this one...

Running through a dense crowd as an a kind of Japanese idol, and all the people are fans, and they're made of fly paper. If they catch Kat, she's stuck in a 2-second black loading screen, before she's returned to the last checkpoint. It's the most recent of a handful of offenders I've encoutered throughout the game so far.

It's a brilliant game in so many ways, but for some reason they've inundated all that's good about the game in thrice as much filler of the most boring kind, and even worse, some of it is intolerably bad.

It very much reminds me of the Assassin's Creed franchise, games which often know to annoy me like few others. Gravity Rush 2's low points are so much more annoying than that though.

What a tease. It often brings me to the brink of elation, with its sights and sounds and fantastical and whimsical setting, then again it annoys me so much, it makes me want to kill myself for even having spent one minute on this tripe.

Why didn't whatever self-indulgent designers restrain themselves, and edit all this shit out? If it wouldn't try to be this huge 60+ hours experience, I think there'd be more than enough really good content there for a relatively tight 20-hours open world game, that didn't actively sap me of my will to live.

Edited by GoodForm at 09:34:55 01-07-2017
  • SomaticSense 1 Jul 2017 20:01:19 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Echoes a lot of my thoughts.

It has a spectacularly good core, but it feels like the mission designers didn't know what to do with it a lot of the time. Perhaps it was an intentional attempt to highlight how fun Kat's powers are to control by throwing the most unfun and monotonous design at the player as a way to get them pining for the cool stuff again. Either way, it backfired on me as I ended up cooling on my initial positive thoughts of the game to the point of almost disliking it.

I hit the part where you return to the first game's opening area, but immediately got lumbered with a mandatory (iirc?) story mission which was yet another of those Where's Wally random NPC search missions. I spent what felt like half an hour doing nothing but trot around pressing X on random civilians hoping the next one would be the trigger. It was horrible, so I stopped and never went back.

I thought GR1 was much more enjoyable overall as it wasn't as bogged down with terrible missions and bloated padding. It's a real shame they went in the direction they did with the main path, as the characters are great, the world is beautiful, the superpowers are a lot of fun, and it has the most compulsive collectible hunting since Crackdown. It'd be a fantastic game if they kept the areas intact, but trimmed the plot down and cut all of those awful missions out of the game entirely.

Edited by SomaticSense at 20:03:12 01-07-2017
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.