Tv for hdr 4k gaming Page 69

• Page

of 71 First / Last

• whatthefu 25 Nov 2017 21:17:24 1,031 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SennaCujo wrote:
    Trust me you will want to go for 49". I went from 32 to 43 for my office and it just didn't give that wow factor, size wise, I was looking for. Changed it to 49 and it hits just the right balance size wise, in a smaller room.
    Interesting point, the 49" version of the sony I listed is at the same price as the Panasonic 40". The size might be more impressive than the image quality alone :)
  • superdelphinus 26 Nov 2017 09:09:36 9,612 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Fucking hell TVs are confusing. Which ones are good in the 2,500 models every manufacturer seems to have, with seemingly no discernible differences other than a different letter? Just after a new one to put in a room in my house, itís not a main one. So 50Ē ish 4k and HDR that is effective but not necessarily amazing. Sort of up to £800 or so. I have no brand loyalty.

I think tv companies should be forced to just bring out three a year - cheap, medium, good.
    I am pretty thick and know fuck all about lumines and edge lighting or the deep blacks but this seems to be a decent set at your price range with solid reviews.

Samsung UE55MU7000

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue55mu7000-soc.html
    Thanks for this - it was spot on
  • Psiloc 26 Nov 2017 20:38:10 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just packed up my new 4K TV ready to go back. With Black Friday deals I was hoping £600ish would just about stretch to a decent picture at 55Ē (I went for that LG that Currys were pushing on their TV ads). Hell fucking no. It was honestly worse than my 1080p; with PS4 rest mode I got to compare the exact same scene and those are the worst blacks Iíve seen since my original cheapo 720p in 2007.

I think the baseline is £800 minimum. Should have done more God damn research...
  • Psiloc 26 Nov 2017 20:41:12 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Incidentally, since the resolution should be an exact science, Iím actually doubting whether 4K is for me. I know itís ďonlyĒ a PS4 Pro, but I wasnít blown away.

Iíll keep an open mind though since checkerboarding and shit TV isnít the best reference.
  • Dougs 26 Nov 2017 21:32:45 84,305 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    How long till OLEDs dip below a grand? That's probably what I'm waiting for...
    Rumours are LG are planning to introduce 4x" OLED panels, so there might be 42" or 48" TVs soon. Those would be most likely to drop to the 3-digit range. CES in January will have more info on what to expect in 2018.
    I don't think it'll be long, given the B7 (I think) was at some 1400. Maybe the back end of next year will get close enough to push me over the edge.
  • Derblington 26 Nov 2017 21:51:45 30,219 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Iíll keep an open mind though since checkerboarding and shit TV isnít the best reference.
    Checker boarding is actually pretty good and in the right game gives a really accurate approximation of native res.

But res. isnít really a big deal on its own. Iíd pay to get decent HDR.
  • reggy72 26 Nov 2017 22:28:24 653 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I bagged today at Richer Sounds a Samsung 55"MU8000, was quite a few Hundred off its RRP and after an afternoon of tinkering between the set and the Xbox one X the results in comparison to the W8 series Sony which was a bloody good TV are remarkable. the biggest bugbear was getting the HDR up to spec which is hidden in a submenu.. Of course there are instructions but who looks at those? Initially the HDR was not all that but within the Xbox's screen menus I changed I from 8 to 10 bit(which the TV is) and then it really began to shine, no pun intended. Just restarted Lara Crofts last adventure and I've been suitably blown away at times by just how good it looks. One happy puppy here.

Oh on a side note carrying and setting up a 55 TV by yourself is bloody hard work, I had to lift the whole set about 4ft into the air just to clear the box, recommend having a friend on hand to help.
  • JamesUK 26 Nov 2017 23:13:47 654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rtings best 4k HDR Gaming TVs of 2017. Budget (~£600+), midrange and top end. I think the Samsung will have a different model number in the UK.
  • Psiloc 27 Nov 2017 09:31:10 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck it. Ordered that LG OLED that Digital Foundry recommend.
  • the_milkybar_kid 27 Nov 2017 10:26:46 6,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Decided to hold off until January and hope the OLED's come down a bit. If I can get a 55" for around a grand then I'll jump in.
  • Psiloc 4 Dec 2017 12:04:09 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LG OLEDB755 all set up and nearly done tinkering with settings.

Holy fucking wow. This is my first posh telly and to be honest I'm just as impressed with the general picture quality as I am with 4K + HDR. OLED definitely seems like the format of the future, no dimmer than any other TV you'd care to compare it with, and obviously the contrast ratio is infinite. If they can get the prices down LG might have played a blinder in cornering the market since they basically developed every OLED panel out there, regardless of the name on the badge.

Little tip to anyone else who's jumped in following the sales: enable dynamic contrast for HDR10 content (and FYI PS4 and X1 games use HDR10). If you look into it, HDR10 is the most basic of the HDR formats as it doesn't set high and low brightness settings scene by scene, meaning the panel by default has to be ready to display the full range of brightness at any given moment. This results in the screen looking somewhat dim or lacking 'pop' when it's showing a mid-range image. Dynamic contrast activates LG's Active HDR tech, which emulates Dolby Vision HDR even in HDR10 mode. This means the set will adjust brightness dynamically to suit the scene, emulating the scene metadata found in Dolby Vision.

This information is probably already in this thread somewhere, but it's worth a bump considering the discounts on this TV at the moment. I've got in the habit of turning off dynamic contrast as a matter of course (it's usually used to mitigate poor contrast ratios in cheap TVs), but as it's the key to the Active HDR technology and we as gamers are all using HDR10, it's worth a shout.

Oops, lot of words...
  • the_milkybar_kid 4 Dec 2017 12:32:43 6,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gulp. It's under the magic number... With a wireless soundbar / sub.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-qe55q6famt-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-tv-hw-k450-2-1-wireless-sound-bar-b0444522-pdt.html
  • Psiloc 4 Dec 2017 13:50:11 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JOIIIN USSS

/beckons

Edited by Psiloc at 13:50:22 04-12-2017
  • Derblington 4 Dec 2017 14:22:12 30,219 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Psiloc
    What the impact elsewhere? Does it increase input lag?
  • Psiloc 4 Dec 2017 14:32:12 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope. As with the older incarnation of dynamic contrast, the trade off is that the picture settings are dynamically adjusted by the set, so calibrating the image is tricky*.

*i.e. the filmmakers probably didn't intend for the picture to be adjusted on-the-fly by your TV. This is why Dolby Vision is still preferable; the "dynamic contrast" if you will is encoded onto the disc as metadata. Just a shame gaming is using HDR10, though there are probably reasons for that.

Edited by Psiloc at 14:37:25 04-12-2017
  • ozthegweat 4 Dec 2017 14:58:06 1,680 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From Rtings re: Active HDR:
    Active HDR isn't supported in game or PC mode, or at least not the same Active HDR as everywhere else. This is likely done to keep input lag low. The lack of Active HDR was most visible on the SJ9500 when running an EOTF test with constant APL (ie. as the center square gets brighter, the background gets dimmer). With 'Dynamic Contrast: Off', 'HDR Cinema' and 'HDR Game' had nearly identical EOTFs; but with 'Dynamic Contrast: Low', the EOTF of 'HDR Cinema' was much better than that of 'HDR Game', because of 'HDR Cinema's Active HDR. Setting 'Dynamic Contrast' to 'Low' in 'HDR Game' only warped the EOTF the way 'Dynamic Contrast' usually does.
  • the_milkybar_kid 4 Dec 2017 15:24:27 6,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psiloc Still going to wait for January, but it's promising that they're getting under a grand. Samsung are going an offer where you can get all your money back on a Soundbar / Sub and UHD Player if you buy one of their QLEDS and that's running till the end of April.
  • Psiloc 4 Dec 2017 15:52:25 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    From Rtings re: Active HDR:
    Active HDR isn't supported in game or PC mode, or at least not the same Active HDR as everywhere else. This is likely done to keep input lag low. The lack of Active HDR was most visible on the SJ9500 when running an EOTF test with constant APL (ie. as the center square gets brighter, the background gets dimmer). With 'Dynamic Contrast: Off', 'HDR Cinema' and 'HDR Game' had nearly identical EOTFs; but with 'Dynamic Contrast: Low', the EOTF of 'HDR Cinema' was much better than that of 'HDR Game', because of 'HDR Cinema's Active HDR. Setting 'Dynamic Contrast' to 'Low' in 'HDR Game' only warped the EOTF the way 'Dynamic Contrast' usually does.
    Ah. That will be why there was no additional input lag then, it's not the Active HDR stuff I thought it was.

It's almost doing the exact reverse of normal dynamic contrast. Whereas on normal LCDs it would deliberately darken the screen to improve black levels at the expense of crushing blacks, with this OLED it is deliberately brightening the screen at the expense of "crushing" white detail in HDR mode.

I'm definitely still going to leave it turned on. It completely eliminated the dimmer screen in game mode and gave it that bit of umph back.

To be honest, the effect is so good, I'm not convinced Rtings have got it right here, at least with the B7...

Edited by Psiloc at 15:54:11 04-12-2017
  • Gunzberg 4 Dec 2017 17:31:59 2,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone who is not budget conscious, I'd advise at this point to wait till after CES 2018 in January.

The new models will be announced, which means you can a) either then get this year's ones at a discount or b) wait a few months for the new ones.

Either way, you win if you can wait another 2 months.
  • Pazie 5 Dec 2017 11:32:14 1,182 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My KS7000 now have dead pixels showing on the top left of the screen (two tiny lines). Iíve only owned it just over a year and was really pleased with it until this happened.

After turning it off completely and turning the telly back on itís gone. Couldnít had been dead pixels although it looked like it was to me and my partner.

Edited by Pazie at 16:54:04 05-12-2017
  • Psiloc 6 Dec 2017 09:46:08 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right, I know I'm probably talking to myself here, but for any other new B7 owners around these parts: in game mode + HDR, you probably want to set dynamic contrast to medium, and manually set the colour gamut to wide. Once you've done that you can configure the other picture settings however you want them.

Took a fair bit of Googling but it would seem that in a firmware update LG have dimmed the HDR game mode to allow for a more accurate image across both bright and dark detail. Enabling dynamic contrast brightens the image again at the expense of clipping white details (as it did before), but of course it also actually enables dynamic contrast which all the videophiles are kicking off about. I get where they're coming from but in practice it just doesn't make itself very noticeable, and it's definitely preferable to the dim image if you ask me.

The colour gamut thing is probably a bug in HDR mode; it should pick it up automatically. LG have said to manually set it to wide.

So YMMV, but give dynamic contrast: medium and colour gamut: wide a try. I personally can't tell the difference between standard HDR and game mode HDR with those settings.
  • Pierre2k 6 Dec 2017 12:18:20 946 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Psiloc I have a 2016 model (C6) and used HDR game mode both before and after the firmware update you refer to. The update did definitely dim the HDR game mode, but it's not a million miles away from "HDR standard" on my TV ("HDR vivid" and "HDR bright" are much much brighter though).

Dynamic contrast is definitely worth trying if you find it too dim (personal preference), but after the initial shock of the difference before and after the firmware update, I've actually found it fine without dynamic contrast. Peak brights are still there and most Xbox One X games allow you adjust the HDR settings in-game. The only issue I've had with the dim game mode are on games that just seem to be ridiculously dark in HDR anyway. Infamous First Light is a great example. Completed in SDR, but trying it in HDR the whole picture is far too dark, even before the firmware update.
  • Dougs 6 Dec 2017 12:29:15 84,305 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Christ, you really do need a degree these days. 10 years is a long time...
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2017 14:45:14 29,976 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dougs

It's bonkers isn't it. I've had my ks7000 for, er, dunno - six months or so? And I'm already out of date with the latest shite they're flinging out now. Can't keep up with the anacronyms
  • Derblington 6 Dec 2017 14:54:17 30,219 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not that hard to keep up in general, and there are good review sites like Rtings and HDTVTest that keep up to speed for you on most stuff.
    It's only confusing when there is an issue with any technology and you need to jump around figuring out the ideal solutions.
  • Mrsyms 6 Dec 2017 14:58:03 230 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I personally only set dynamic contrast to low as at medium it gives a worse picture in my opinion. At low, active HDR is enabled, but at medium you start to loose detail. Obviously everyone has diferent opinions but i thought i would share mine. Should always disable dynamic contrast to adjust the hdr slider and then re-enable it, aparently anyway.

Edited by Mrsyms at 14:59:27 06-12-2017

Edited by Mrsyms at 15:01:19 06-12-2017
  • Psiloc 6 Dec 2017 15:00:06 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Pierre2k Interesting you say that; it must be a quirk of the later models then because there was a big difference in HDR game mode and HDR standard on my B7, unless I'm misremembering.

Regardless, if your model has Active HDR you should certainly have dynamic contrast turned on for non-game HDR10 content as it is an undisputed improvement. The debate is whether to enable it for games or not, because then it is just your everyday dynamic contrast (supposedly), rather than Active HDR to reduce lag.

I'm not sure what that setting actually does with Dolby Vision content though - I'd assume absolutely nothing.
  • Psiloc 6 Dec 2017 15:12:45 4,251 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mrsyms Heh, it really is opinions isn't it. I was reading everywhere to set it to high, but when I tried it it lost tons of detail (and was actually a really good visual example of white clipping). Low was still a bit dull for me, so ended up on medium.

This is in game mode I should point out which handles HDR settings differently on my set. I still don't actually have any non-game HDR content to mess with, but with SDR content I haven't had dynamic contrast on at all.
  • Mrsyms 6 Dec 2017 15:19:07 230 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Heres some off the main settings i use. We should compare :) game mode hdr, 100 oled brightness, 98 contrast, 52 brightness, 0 sharpness, colour 65, tint 0, colour temp w30, dynamic contrast low, dynamic colour off, colour gamut wide, super resolution off, gamma medium, black level low. I sometimes drop colour temp to w15 depending on the game :)

Edited by Mrsyms at 15:19:59 06-12-2017
  • oceanmotion 6 Dec 2017 15:20:44 17,277 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you want to see some 4K HDR TV stuff, the BBC is putting the latest Blue Planet series up there on the 10th Dec on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/planet_earth_4k

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-planet-II-uhd

List of TVs and other info.

Edited by oceanmotion at 15:21:42 06-12-2017
  • Page

of 71 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.