Star Wars Thread - SPOILERS Page 4

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Spanky 20 May 2005 17:27:45 14,505 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silver jon wrote:
    I'm amazed no-one's pointed out the political subtext, given America's expansionism and this whole "war on terror" and "If you're not with us then you're against us" that is making them look more like an Empire than a Republic.
    I take it you missed the Newsnight interview with Lucas, he was drawing parallels but mostly saying it was stuff and nonsense as he took a lot of his inspiration from greek tragedy or sommat, wouldn't know meself never read the stuff.

Plubs

• Stickman 20 May 2005 17:27:59 29,666 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry, I haven't read that.

/hangs head.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Spanky 20 May 2005 17:29:47 14,505 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was on the tv. Was funny watching Paxmans lead up, he obviously doesn't think highly of having to talk about star wars :D

Same sort of expression i'd expect from my old man if he was forced to do a presentation on Power Rangers.

Plubs

• Khanivor 20 May 2005 17:37:53 40,776 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well the reason has such a pained expression on his face the whole time is because his ring is puckered up so tight he's got a side job shovin lumps of coal up there and shittign out diamonds ;)
  • Spanky 20 May 2005 17:39:00 14,505 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How dare you say that about my dad! :p

Plubs

• silentbob 21 May 2005 01:30:16 28,975 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saw it tonight. Wasn't expecting great things. But...

..it was bloody fantastic ... mostly.

The first two thirds of the film are brilliant, the dialogue was more natural, everyone's performances more relaxed. The whole thing felt it had life and energy, and definitely a humanity that was absent from the previous prequels.

The Palpatine rescue - exhilerating, funny (really) and stunning to boot! The battles were truly a feast for the eyes, I can't wait to see it again as the attention to detail and the amount going on was breathtaking!

Characterisation was great, if still slightly cartoon in nature (Grevious was almost an excellent bad guy). Overall SFX design and realisation (rendering and animation) was leagues ahead of the previous two - and as I said, you felt like you were moving around the universe, instead of being spectator to an animated painting.

The score - DAMN that score! Mr Williams has outdone himself again with a brooding, darkly pulsing work. Nicely weaving the familiar older signature themes (Leia's and Luke's) with the more recent bits. In fact, I can't overstate it's importance in the difference it made to the movie's reception. For example, the Jedi assassinations were truly moving, and the final duel was an aural blast!

Dialogue for the most part was bearable (even good in some places), and there was a genuine sense of humour - and as I said - humanity to it.

So great, fantastic, superb! But then .. theres...

... the hamfisted introduction of Darth Vader (as he should be) - I still struggle to comprehend the lack of thought and care that was graced upon this scene! What self respecting filmaker in their right minds would put a "NNNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...." scene into a scene and not mean it as a pisstake?? What the FUCK was going on there? Utterly awful! Then theres ...

... the final duel, as mentioned - visually a real treat, but christ! Do we really have to have "I'm powerful - more powerful than before, even more powerful than you, more powerful than you'....." OK - FUCK OFF! We get the picture. You're powerful.

It basically breaks down thus:

90% OMFGWTF!!!11one - bloody amazing
    10% OMGWTFLOLROFL!!!11eleven - fucking awful

..overall though, I'm a very very happy Star Wars geek!

Can't wait to see it again in fact - this time with selective cringe blinkers in place for al the right places. :)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Nemesis 21 May 2005 01:46:38 18,655 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Man. Must go see that again just to take in the special effects.

Whilst it was nice to see the blockade runner, it would've been REALLY nice to see the old style ships finally make the transfer across *fully* to the TIE and X-Wing class ships.

I must also say Obi-wan is the DOGS BOLLOCKS; quite superb in every way.
  • Zond3 21 May 2005 02:56:44 635 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wowza! Watched it at the Odeon Leceister Square and it was truly epic. The audience went nuts after it finished, much like i imagine audiences did when they saw ep 4 way back then.
  • Stickman 21 May 2005 03:05:52 29,666 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Following on from Nemesis, I thought that Ewen McGregor has done a fantastic job from episode 1 to episode 3 with Obi-wan. He's really given that character so much more life than the brief intro we get in episode 4. Makes the whole death scene SO much more poignant I reckon.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Khanivor 21 May 2005 03:15:43 40,776 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just got back from seeing Dave Clarke for the umpteenth time. While he was better then I was hoping, the night really hit is stride during the walk home. Listening to III's ST, especialy that hauntin music for Anakin's betrayl.

I just hope I don't spoil it all by focusing on the poor bits the next few times I see it.
  • morriss 21 May 2005 09:48:03 70,997 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saw the film last night, LOVED IT!!! Great stuff, everything I expected. When home and watched EP4 straight away. It's great how the two now tie together. One thing though (and I hope it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, as I haven't read it all), is that I think it's a shame that in ROTJ Anakin never has the chance to make peace with the fact that it wasn't him who killed Padme.

Also, one other 'small' gripe is that when Luke enters the trench when attacking the Death Star, Vader says, "The force is strong with this one." Now, throughout the film, it is spoken about the Vader is the 'last of his kind'. He then kills Obi-Wan, but then senses the force in another, surely more should have been made of that?

I do howver, like the way the at the end of EP3, Yoda says that Obi-Wan will be told ways of communicating with the dead, and he uses this with Luke.

I could go on forever.....LOVED IT!!!!
  • Dirtbox 21 May 2005 10:34:07 78,210 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I liked it. A lot.

Nice and dark with the nice little Godfather style bit where the Jedi dudes are taken out one by one. A drowning classical piece would have made it great, but it did the trick.

There wasn't quite enough of Vader for my liking, though, just the obvious Frankenstein's monster hommage where he breaks off the bed thing.

Nice tie up in the end though. Played.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• silentbob 21 May 2005 13:31:03 28,975 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forgot to mention that - after Obi Wan - Palapatine pretty much teals the show. A genuinely scary and confident performamce - the wooing of Anakin to the dark side was surprisingly subtle, and when finally the moment came, McDiarmid was truly chilling - just the right side of maniacal and camp.

Damn - I need to see this again, off with someone else tomorrow morning, this one's gonan run and run for me.

\o/

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• ACiD 21 May 2005 14:05:37 10 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    liked the last third, and a few odd scenes here and there. (found it hilarious how the wee kids - of which there were many, were making a racket running riot during all the mushy stuff and then shocked into silence by the rough burnt head stuff hoho) BUT!

couldnt shake the feeling it all felt like pixar having a stab at a 'who framed rodger rabbit'
  • phAge 21 May 2005 14:24:40 24,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was, uh, pretty good.

The CGI was in places awesome, but I have to admit that there is a part of me that prefers the humbler, more "real" looking stuff from the old films. Plus, CGI *still* doesn´t look exactly like real life, and the fact that pretty much every scene in the film has it makes some of it look like a cut-scene from the Wing Commander games (particularly the quieter scenes - the entrance to the Temple of the Jedis for example).

8/10.

And Ewan McGregor is the only person in that movie who displays any semblance of acting skills.

Edited by phAge at 14:27:20 21-05-2005
  • MikeD 21 May 2005 14:26:58 10,063 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    8/10. And Ewan McGregor is the only person in that movie with acting skills.

That's a surprise given his pisspoor performance in ep. 2
  • phAge 21 May 2005 14:30:33 24,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    phAge wrote:
    8/10. And Ewan McGregor is the only person in that movie with acting skills.

That's a surprise given his pisspoor performance in ep. 2

Just edited it. Obviously there are other actors in Ep3 who can act - but for some reason they choose not to do so in this film.

Edited by phAge at 14:30:36 21-05-2005
  • Zond3 21 May 2005 16:03:58 635 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder if General Grievous spinning those lightsabres was a nod to Maximillian, the kickass robot from The Blackhole.
  • Dirtbox 21 May 2005 16:05:47 78,210 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's what I thought. Infact I sat there and played spot the movie throughout most of it.

• Errol 21 May 2005 16:55:11 12,485 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    phAge wrote:

And Ewan McGregor is the only person in that movie who displays any semblance of acting skills.

Which just shows how utterly rubbish the film really is, since his acting performance is absolutely crap; with some of the most absurd delivery ever seen.
  • Derblington 21 May 2005 16:58:50 21,638 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Errol wrote:
    phAge wrote:

Which just shows how utterly rubbish the film really is, since his acting performance is absolutely crap; with some of the most absurd delivery ever seen.

I think a lot of the delivery, not just Ewan's, is to do with the editing and cutting of scenes. the cgi drags some things out too long and it give long pauses between conversation.
  • Dirtbox 21 May 2005 17:01:05 78,210 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lucas's handling of dialogue was always piss poor, we knew that from the start. It's always been the actors abilities that carries it.

• lost_soul 21 May 2005 17:04:32 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We know that both Portman and McGregor can act, so their poor performances must be down to the director.
  • Dirtbox 21 May 2005 17:10:01 78,210 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, he just can't do the whole walking-talking thing. Any dialogue to be had in any of his films involves stilted, unimaginative scenes with the actors stood around exchanging badly written lines.

They could be teetering on a lake of lava or lounging in a room, it doesn't matter, it all goes flat and cliched when they start speaking.

Action scenes are a piece of cake to direct if you've got the cash to throw at it.

• MikeD 21 May 2005 17:14:07 10,063 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Makes you wonder how it'll go when he really starts doing small interesting movies, as he said he will after indiana jones.

• Feanor 23 May 2005 03:27:10 14,166 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Saw the film last night, LOVED IT!!! Great stuff, everything I expected. When home and watched EP4 straight away. It's great how the two now tie together. One thing though (and I hope it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, as I haven't read it all), is that I think it's a shame that in ROTJ Anakin never has the chance to make peace with the fact that it wasn't him who killed Padme.

Except he did kill her. She lost the will to live because the man she loved had become a child-murdering, wife-choking bastard.
  • Lutz 23 May 2005 07:45:30 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Personally I thought Ian McDiarmad did a cracking acting job too, although Lucas' direction couldn't have helped.

As for the force thing about vader being the last: As the original Obi-Wan said the force is something that surrounds us and binds us, meaning that everyone is connected to teh force. Being a Jedi/Sith is be able to control it, so maybe other people are strong in the force and yet don't know how to channel it's powers.
  • Pinchy 23 May 2005 09:43:53 842 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saw it last night, though it was absolutley superb. all the key scenes were executed perfectly - the final anakin obi wan fight was exactly as I had imagined it. Will definitely be going for a repeat viewing. Couldnt help myself thinking at cetain points (i.e. when Mace windu has the lightsaber at sidious' throat and when Obi Wan walks away from Anakin at the end) "noooooo, go back and kill the fucker!". course, you know it aint going to happen but its funny seeing the pivotal moments that all the films hinge on, and the way it could have been.

its dark though, my god its dark.
  • Lutz 23 May 2005 10:11:44 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jim Bob wrote:
    I thought Grevious was very poor....when Kenobi killed him easily with a blaster and then made the comment "how incivilised" I thought to myself....crappola..
    "UNcivilised", and it was a through back to what he said in episode 4...
  • Page

of 11 First / Last