Star Wars Thread - SPOILERS Page 3

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• silver-jon 20 May 2005 10:57:19 1,518 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay now I'm getting excited. All your reviews echo my own thoughts about it being a space-yarn/adventure saga, not a deep and meaningful exposition of the human condition, and therefore should be judged on its ability to keep you thrilled for 2 hours.

I am so tempted to skive off work for lunch and watch it today before I see it with all my friends tomorrow.

Derblington - I live in Kingston too, and I hate those people who clap at the end. Who are they applauding - the guy in the projection booth ?
  • Khanivor 20 May 2005 11:04:31 40,937 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, was that spaceship Obi gets in after killing Grwevious not the coolest fukin spaceship ever? It was like an old Cadillac, in space. Although Padme's final Naboo ship was teh s3xy as well.

Reckon I'm gonna have to phone up my mate with the free cinema access and see if she's doing anything this afternoon.
  • Derblington 20 May 2005 11:20:14 21,914 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    silver jon wrote:
    I am so tempted to skive off work for lunch and watch it today before I see it with all my friends tomorrow.
    Do it! I'm seeing it again after work today. I finish at 1.30 though.
  • terminalterror 20 May 2005 11:41:00 18,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    The sounds was awful in our cinema n'all, very low volume, no bombasticness felt :T

The Odeon in Oxford was a bit rubbish when it came to the sound, and the screen was nowhere near as big as thefilmworks I have at home (never quite sure whether the thefilmworks needs a definate article or not, it sounds silly either way)
  • silver-jon 20 May 2005 11:59:32 1,518 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    silver jon wrote:
    Do it! I'm seeing it again after work today. I finish at 1.30 though.

Right - that's it.
    I'm going to Marble Arch (big screen, good sound) for a big long lunchbreak. I have a meeting at 4:00 and I expect to be grinning all the way through it.
  • CyberClaw 20 May 2005 12:39:25 2,081 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What I like the most about Anakin, is his arrogance. After taking a step forwards, he is unable to take one backwards, possibly admiting he was wrong. After he cut off the hand of Mace, he was all like "what have I done?" - and instead of redemption (a path many travel), he chose to kept going forwards, lying to himself, that he was doing what he should. Eventually when he becomes Darth Vader, he is already far too twisted to know right from wrong - and only by the very end at his son's hands, does he aknowledge repent.

I don't think as much as being too easly convinced to the dark side. I just think he is a temperamental person, and after some bad moves, he didn't have the guts to admit being wrong. So he kept doing worse and worse. By the time he gets to the Jedi temple, his lies to himself turned him exactly into what he always hated.

His arrogance is too much to aknowledge inferiority, or ever being wrong. Even when facing certain defeat at the end of the movie, his arrogance makes him jump torwards Obi-wan, which makes chow fu ming ming chop meat out of his arm and legs.

There are few minor quifs with the movie. My major quif, is the way they handled the jedi massacre. I wanted to see more. They hinted at some stuff, but they didn't really show much. I'd like to see some Jedi striking back, at least for a while. The way this event was built upon, and knowing that some jedis were many times in situations worse than that, I'd like to see some jedis trying to fight back. One of them did fight back in a scene, but he was cheesly shot... I mean, I've seen jedi padawans doing backflips, and defending lasers 360 arround them, and that asshole (a master I presume, to be all alone with the clones) couldn't escape such a cheesy death? I espected to see some pretty heavy fighting betwen the jedis. I expected Anakin to have some very violent fights against 3 or 4 at once... No such luck =( Oh and when Mace goes to meet The Senator Palantine... 4 jedis on 1 sith... I was expecting big ass brutal fight, instead he slices 3 of them in half in a matter of 5 secs, leaving only Mace for the acrobatic dance =(
  • Lutz 20 May 2005 12:54:33 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CyberClaw wrote:
    and only by the very end at his son's hands, does he aknowledge repent.
    "Only at the end do you understand..."

• Universal_Hamster 20 May 2005 12:55:59 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woo, really loved it, best SW film apart from Empire. Thing is, Hayden is a really good actor, (See shattered glass for proof) I think its really the dialog that makes these guys seem like poor actors. Having said that, This was much lower in cringe-lines than its precursors.
  • Khanivor 20 May 2005 13:19:32 40,937 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    CyberClaw wrote:
    and only by the very end at his son's hands, does he aknowledge repent.
    "Only at the end do you understand..."

Young fool, only now, at the end, do you understand.
  • ST.. 20 May 2005 15:04:17 934 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    How do you mean poor choice in audience? I was laughing too. It was a bad film.

From your point of you it was bad.....surely that's what you meant?
  • Zoltar 20 May 2005 15:08:58 628 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    ST.. wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:

no I think he was talking from someone else's point of view...

:-n
  • Khanivor 20 May 2005 15:11:03 40,937 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think he really meant from a certain point of view.
  • silver-jon 20 May 2005 15:49:51 1,518 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I think he really meant from a certain point of view.
    nice one ;-)

Just come back from skiving off to see it.
    Got to go into a meeting in 10 minutes so all I'll say is this is the best of the prequels by a long way and certainly the equal of the originals. It has the most Star Wars "feel", sets the whole story up VERY well (noticed many threads going into *every* other episode), the spectacle is superb and I was left expressing gratitude to Mr Lucas & Co for leaving us with the film we were all waiting for. It combines the depth and darkness of Empire with the action of Return of the Jedi, and with a sense of betrayal all of its own.
    Loved it. Not disappointed at all. Quite the opposite. Thrilled. Happy. Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.
  • ST.. 20 May 2005 16:02:06 934 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zoltar wrote:
    ST.. wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:

no I think he was talking from someone else's point of view...

:-n

You scruffy looking nerf-herder!
  • Lutz 20 May 2005 16:02:42 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ST.. wrote:
    You scruffy looking nerf-herder!
    Who's scruffy lookin'?
  • Universal_Hamster 20 May 2005 16:22:13 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Uh oh, are they gonna kiss?
  • Lutz 20 May 2005 16:23:22 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /looks into ST..'s eyes...
  • Stickman 20 May 2005 16:29:21 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /mind rubber

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• thrawn 20 May 2005 16:40:56 892 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saw it yesterday and loved it. Not much else to say really. With regards to Vader not knowing about Luke on Tatooine, I think there are two reasons. He knew Padme had died and if you look at her body during the wake she still looks pregnant. I'm guessing we're supposed to believe her dead body was made to look 'still pregnant' to fool everyone into believing the sprog was never dropped.

Can't wait to see it again. Ties into the original trilogy very well. Did anyone else find it weird hearing Vader (all machined up and with James Earl Jones voice) saying 'Padme'? All of my friends found it really weird when he said her name. Not sure why.
  • Spanky 20 May 2005 16:42:59 14,524 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah i found it wierd as i disconnect all the OT from the NT, so its strange watching them actually interact. And unlike others i found the "noooooooo-ooooooo" bit rather good and a nice last ditch effort of emotion from Anakin.

Plubs

• Stickman 20 May 2005 16:47:45 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    And unlike others i found the "noooooooo-ooooooo" bit rather good and a nice last ditch effort of emotion from Anakin.

Surely not! I loved the film, but I was creasing up when he did that "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" bit.

"Oy...now he emotes"

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Spanky 20 May 2005 16:49:55 14,524 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah i actually liked it, it did jar to initially but i understood why it had to be in there and i also liked the room/droids getting torn apart in the wake.

Plubs

• Universal_Hamster 20 May 2005 17:05:20 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I took the Nooooooooooooooooooo! bit to be the last of his humanity escaping... An essential element, so i forgave the melodrama somewhat, but yeah, it could have been done better.
  • Universal_Hamster 20 May 2005 17:08:53 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • silver-jon 20 May 2005 17:10:09 1,518 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually quite liked it. For a fleeting moment I felt pity for Vader. In that scream, his whole world is falling apart (echoed by the crumbling chamber) and you know it's the last thread of purity in Anakin being crushed by pain.

Should set up his redemption in RotJ very nicely.

I'm amazed no-one's pointed out the political subtext, given America's expansionism and this whole "war on terror" and "If you're not with us then you're against us" that is making them look more like an Empire than a Republic.
  • Universal_Hamster 20 May 2005 17:13:07 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I read on yahoo news about this actually, the US right are rather upset that what vader says about "If youre not with me, youre my enemy" is very very close to comments bush made. Considering that Lucas says episode 3 was written before the bush years, we can only assume that GW is a sith lord?
  • terminalterror 20 May 2005 17:19:23 18,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thrawn wrote:
    Saw it yesterday and loved it. Not much else to say really. With regards to Vader not knowing about Luke on Tatooine, I think there are two reasons. He knew Padme had died and if you look at her body during the wake she still looks pregnant. I'm guessing we're supposed to believe her dead body was made to look 'still pregnant' to fool everyone into believing the sprog was never dropped.

I was wondering why she still had a bump in the wake. Makes sense now.
  • Stickman 20 May 2005 17:21:51 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know that women don't go from pregnant to flat straight away don't you? A woman who died in childbirth would still have a 'pregnant' look about her midriff.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Zoltar 20 May 2005 17:24:04 628 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    You know that women don't go from pregnant to flat straight away don't you? A woman who died in childbirth would still have a 'pregnant' look about her midriff.

Yeah 'cos it's all about realism :p

I know when a huge tragedy happens in my life, I always stand there going 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' for a bit...
  • Derblington 20 May 2005 17:24:52 21,914 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got back from seeing it for the second time!

Stickman - you are indeed correct but the idea was that they 'made' her look pregnant to throw others off the case. Says so in the screenplay.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last