• Page

of 11 First / Last

• morriss 19 May 2005 23:09:57 70,911 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    wasp wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    I see that he's currently at the stage where he thinks the twins (or baby as he knew it) were killed also. So I guess it might conceivably (in a world with Jar-Jar) take him another 20 years to gain enough power to be able to sense that his child still existed.

Maybe.
    He doesn't recognise him when he's attempting blow him out of the sky in the death star trench. Maybe the Force doesn't work this way?

Well, in all honesty, Vader would only have had to find out Luke's surname after episode IV in order to put two and two together.

Seriously, where's the logic in keeping the surname 'Skywalker' for Luke if they're supposed to be keeping him and Leia a secret?

In EP4 as soon as he hears the name Skywalker, his ears pick up. He knows then it's his son, and he knows his son will destroy him. Well that's what I got out of the original trilogy anyway.
  • morriss 19 May 2005 23:17:28 70,911 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    can't remember I just know he repeats the name and pauses.
  • silver-jon 19 May 2005 23:21:07 1,518 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I've tried not read this as I'm seeing it tomorrow, but just to let you know, the Times gave it one star!! - harsh.

Sunday Times gave it a slating, in fact (and I quote) "When Episode 1, The Phantom menace, came out many Star Wars fans hid their disappointment by claiming that their hero (George Lucas) hadn't lost his touch, insisting that he was just setting up the story".

Thing is, Cosmo Landesman, I remember you giving the Phantom Menace top rating and using the words "this is an epic in the making. An instant classic".

In fact, every film he has raved about- with the exception of Return of the King have been appalling.
    So film critics are fallable, and the Sunday Times one is about the worst I've ever read.

As Obi Wan so famously said "You must learn to trust your own instincts". Ignore the reviews and decide for yourself whether you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to being entertained. Scripts a bit stilted, and the acting a bit flat ? Great ! That's part of what makes it a Star Wars film !

• morriss 19 May 2005 23:24:26 70,911 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wasp wrote:
    your memory is not what it was, my apprentice

Obviously not. Weird that. I can see the scene in my mind. Ok, then I'm wrong.

/loses that force feeling

Oh, and silverjon, agree with ya 100% mate. I know I'm gonna love this. I see it tomorrow at 6:15 and I just can't effing wait!
  • morriss 19 May 2005 23:30:05 70,911 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wasp wrote:
    But either way, it kind of makes Luke's identity irrelevant - Vader knew it was someone strong with the force, and was searching for him.

I just thought that, and if my suspicions are correct about EP4 (and don't tell me if I'm wrong) but if he knew it was someone strong in the force, then who else could it be?
  • silver-jon 19 May 2005 23:34:20 1,518 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well every review I've read so far has berated the acting and scripts. Which have always been dodgy, so why it's suddenly an issue is a mystery to me.
    Every review has also said that the action is awesome and breathtaking.

The best review I read was online and here's the link

The reason I rated the review despite not having even seen the film yet ? Because he's the only person who's done the obvious thing and reviewed it as a stand-alone film AND in it's context of a much larger saga. I've always said that you need to consider each films place as part of the bigger picture (too much time on the love scenes in Clones ? Well consider it's importance to Anakin/Vader's eventual character and the fact that the whole saga is 15 hours long. Suddenly seems to fit better).
  • Daryoon 19 May 2005 23:49:03 4,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's "cool" to rubbish the prequels.

Oddly enough, most people I know have liked them, it's just this very vocal minority that don't...
  • Derblington 19 May 2005 23:59:33 21,332 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked it! I think it makes the series a much more powerful story now that it's all done, and like others I'm dying to watch the original trilogy over with new eyes and ideas.

Grievous I liked. He's just a General that, as he aged and lost bits in battle, replaced the organic with droid and took tutalige(sp) from Dooku in the ways of 'Sabre fighting. I thought he was cool and is the closest I'll ever get to seeing a 4-armed Jedi!

I've just got in from seeing it and I'm seeing it again tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait!

edit: words

Edited by Derblington at 00:00:21 20-05-2005
  • Daryoon 20 May 2005 00:07:58 4,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah, he was in the film before they put him in the cartoon. His purpose was simple though - foreshadow Vader by showing a human who had become a droid because of catastrophic injury
  • Zoltar 20 May 2005 00:29:34 628 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just got back from seeing it.

Wow! Thought it was great! And I'm not even a raving fanboi, I loathed Ep1 with a passion, and hated two thirds of the Clone Wars just as much.

But this is more like it. I can't help but think that Lucas has listened to his critics. Did Jar Jar even utter one single word in this one? 3PO didn't do a lot either. Pleeenty of darkness though. My goodness, what a down film.

If I have to moan about anything (and I do), I do *hate* the whole self-fulfilling prophecy thing, ie, if Anakin had not dreamt of Padmes death, then it never would have hapenned. I still hate watching Yoda fight, although The Emperor fighting was cool. Thought the appearance of Chewbacca was completely gratuitous too.

But all in all, a decent film I thought, and I really mean that. Not just for what i is, but I mean compared to all other cinema. This is actually a proper film imo. I was very suprised.
  • Lutz 20 May 2005 08:03:51 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    I didnt like how they showed the Death Star being constructed - basically saying it took 20 years, then a new one springs up in RotJ in the space of 5 years?
    The second one wasn't FULLY constructed though, and IIRC it was a tad smaller. Not sure, although I do know one was meant to have a diameter of 120km and the other 160km.
    Also, the first time you build something it takes longer than the second, usually.
    AND the Empire had a firmer grip on the systems 20 years later, so sourcing of materials etc would have been easier.

/reads into things a bit too much.
  • Lutz 20 May 2005 08:05:56 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zoltar wrote:
    If I have to moan about anything (and I do), I do *hate* the whole self-fulfilling prophecy thing, ie, if Anakin had not dreamt of Padmes death, then it never would have hapenned.
    It didn't though did it? What Anakin dreamt and what actually happened were quite different...

One thing I thought was totally pointless was the Wookies in the film. That should have been expanded on a lot , or dropped totally.

And no, Jar Jar said nothing and was only in it for once scene, the wake of Padme...
  • Derblington 20 May 2005 09:07:21 21,332 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another thing I liked was Boga, the feathered lizard that Obi-Wan aquires when he goes to Utapau. I thought she was done very well.
  • Spanky 20 May 2005 09:35:52 14,458 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saw it last night, still hasn't quite sunk in, overall brilliant though. Loved the emperor and obi wan especially, previous weak characters verged on incidental thankfully and we got to focus on the good stuff.

...but... a clanger that i have is that doesn't leia in RotJ describe the early life of her mother, "lonely and sad" or somesuch, how'd that come about if she died in childbirth or is she on about the queen of alderran?

Anyhoo 7 out of 10 and i rarely go above 5.

That stupid bird/cameleon was rubbish, and thank gawd those stories about yoda flying a butterfly on Kashyyyk didn't come true :D

The teen jedi rawwkzorged though...

I wanted to be disappointed but thankfully i'm not.

Plubs

• Derblington 20 May 2005 09:39:50 21,332 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    That stupid bird/cameleon was rubbish
    Shut up :p
  • Spanky 20 May 2005 09:40:37 14,458 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was shit! everyone laughed at it, including me.

Shit shit shit!

Plubs

• Lutz 20 May 2005 09:45:58 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    ...but... a clanger that i have is that doesn't leia in RotJ describe the early life of her mother, "lonely and sad" or somesuch, how'd that come about if she died in childbirth or is she on about the queen of alderran?
    The queen. AFAIK she doesn't know she's adapted.
  • Derblington 20 May 2005 09:47:40 21,332 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    It was shit! everyone laughed at it, including me.

Shit shit shit!
    I didn't laugh.

/goes off to sulk
  • Spanky 20 May 2005 09:55:51 14,458 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah well there were a few bits that had people laughing in the cinema other than this, i wasn't laughing though, more seething with the dark side, wanting to recruit some rape droids to fucking destroy the audience! No seriously, i do advocate rape droids in these circumstances... seriously, that cunt in the back row, squealing with laughter all the time, yes you you fuck, you fucking die, die by robochubby!

Plubs

• Derblington 20 May 2005 10:01:19 21,332 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What really gets on my tits, apart from people talking, fidgeting, laughing inapropriately and going to the toilet DURING the movie, are the nobs that clap at the end. I mean, why the fuck?!? At the premiere fair enough as you're applauding the people that brought you the movie but at the Odeon in Kingston for the 7pm performance?

I need a full sized cinema just for me.
  • RubyRed 20 May 2005 10:04:41 4,303 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed it. It was fast-moving and no mucking around in this one. It just focused on the bits people went to see - Anakin's fall and was it as grim as it could be without making it unwatchable for kids. It was definitely better than the last two (but then I said that about AotC and every time I watch now, I can't help but cringe).

But still, the acting was baaaad. Hayden Christensen - I like him as Anakin but I felt very disappointed that his acting was so wooden. It could've been so much better if he showed more emotion. Anakin's a very emotional bloke and Christensen looked like he was struggling a bit. Although all the cast are all excellent actors, Lucas' rubbish directing and focusing too much on CGI meant that it was a half-hearted effort.

Also, Padme. Heavily pregnant woman, about to pop two sprogs and a bump barely the size of a tennis ball and running around practically doing somersaults. They could've made her look just a wee bit more worn out, surely.

Edit: yeah, that stupid bint in the back row, laughing at everything. Gnnnn! Fucking bimbo.

Edited by RubyRed at 10:06:38 20-05-2005
  • Spanky 20 May 2005 10:06:07 14,458 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't mind folks goin to the bog, what i do mind are deviants though. There were a bunch of 'lads' sitting next to us, polite and stuff though, but... the one next to me had a big drink in the holder in the arm of the chair, but no, he couldn't pick up the drink and put it to his mouth, every fucking time he bends over and actually sips the straw from the drink in the holder, right next to by crotchicles. And every time i panic thinking some bloke is going to go down on me in the cinema, funny but not when i'm watching fuckin star wars.

The sounds was awful in our cinema n'all, very low volume, no bombasticness felt :T

Plubs

• Lutz 20 May 2005 10:07:36 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RubyRed wrote:
    Also, Padme. Heavily pregnant woman, about to pop two sprogs and a bump barely the size of a tennis ball and running around practically doing somersaults. They could've made her look just a wee bit more worn out, surely.
    Heh, I was a bit curious about that too...

One thing I really hated about it... that fucking Smirnoff Advert. Too long, too loud, and WAAAY too bassy. My trousers were dancing away to themselves for 3 minutes, and the Mrs actually felt sick. Wankers.
  • MikeD 20 May 2005 10:11:01 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RubyRed wrote:

Oh dear. I already criticised her superhuman agility and stamnina in AotC.
  • Derblington 20 May 2005 10:18:22 21,332 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    RubyRed wrote:

Oh dear. I already criticised her superhuman agility and stamnina in AotC.

In RotS she only jogs down a small ramp once, it's really not that bad.
  • Spanky 20 May 2005 10:18:53 14,458 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Em arena fight?

*edit, maybe its a naboobian thing, considering she also only had a bump when she first told anakin she was up the duff, then within a matter of days she gives birth to 2 fat weans?

Edited by Spanky at 10:21:58 20-05-2005

Plubs

• MikeD 20 May 2005 10:22:14 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not only the arena fight. She falls out of that space ship into onconsciousness. 2 moments later she stands up and starts jogging away. No pain, nothing broken. I think she is the bastard child of wolverine.

Edit: Oops, talking about AotC here.

Jogging down a ramp seems alright. Though i don't see too many women pregnant of twins jogging, but hey, it's science fiction.

Edited by MikeD at 10:24:37 20-05-2005
  • Derblington 20 May 2005 10:24:43 21,332 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did specify RotS, I agree about AtoC.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 May 2005 10:42:57 25,429 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saw it last night and have too say I was very impressed. Having been rather underwhelmed by the previous two, this was a huge improvement and really did feel like a Star Wars film.

I thought the CGI effects used were a lot better implemented, Hayden Christensen (spelling?) was actually quite good in it, the main scenes were superb and it all tied in extremely well with the original trilogy. Even a small nod to the anally-retentive crowd who kept going on about how C3PO didn't know anything that had gone when met in Episode IV.

Ok, so there was some ropey dialogue, a strange robotics performance from Darth Vader after reawakening and some forgettable pieces of 'acting' but it's been the same in every Star Wars film.

And that's the point. This isn't some Ron Howard, 'Hey Film Academy, look at my film, can't you just feeeeel the emotion' Oscar juggernaut, it's a good old fashioned sci-fi yarn, with some extremely iconic characters and loads of very cool action.

I honestly can't understand anyone that didn't enjoy it, unless of course they've never seen a Star Wars film and were wondering what the hell was going on.

Top stuff. Shame it's all over.
  • Derblington 20 May 2005 10:50:25 21,332 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another thing I particularly liked (I'm going to be do these all weekend!) were the vehicle designs, the way you can see the evolution of all the classic ships. I felt it wasn't quite as strong in this movie as the first 2 (maybe a result of Doug Chiang leaving the design team?) but it was still there.

And the new, smaller jedi starfighters were cool. You didn't really see the way they worked in the movie but they looked good anyway. There were also a few I knew about that were obviously cut from the film, nothing drastic but it would've been nice if they were there.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last