Star Wars Thread - SPOILERS

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous
  • Lutz 19 May 2005 21:27:23 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK, this thread is for people who have seen the film and wish to discuss it fully. There will be spoilers, as much as there can be given the film anyway, so please don't read any further if you don't want it ruined for you.

So, onto the film!

What did we all think? Personally, I thought it was brilliant. Whilst much of the dialogue was a bit slow, too much CGI (How many flybys of ships FFS?) and the plot was obvious and cliched to say the least, I thought the key parts it did stunningly. Much of the film is a 7/10, but the key parts are a 10/10.

The betrayal of the Jedis, the death of Mace, the aging of the Emporer, and especially the final scenes with Obi Wan and Anakin, and the ending on Vader...

The music added a LOT to the movie I thought, the haunting music as Anakin entered the Jedi Acadmy to be faced by the children, or the atmosphere of Mustapha as Obi Wan despairs at Anakin.

Some things seemed a bit wrong, (the STUPIDLy fast deaths of the Jedi with Mace, and the cruiser re-entry in Coruscant) but I was very appreciate of the minor irony of the Anakin and Dooku fight, with Palpatine looking on, and the tieing up of the droids with Captain Antillies. The ending of the droids seemed a bit poor, as did the Emperors all-of-a-sudden power of Cody, the Clone leader.

But all in all I thought it was a brilliant ending, and I left the cinema almost in a state of shock TBH.

Then the Mrs took my out and I had swordfish for the first time ever, and it was very lovely indeed. :D
  • Lutz 19 May 2005 21:32:47 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And what friggin race was Grevious?

That was one think that annoyed me (yet again) is that one of the bad guys came out of no where. At least he was a considerably more interesting character than Maul and Dooku/Tyrannous combined.
  • Daryoon 19 May 2005 21:34:25 4,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've noticed several people complaining about how the clones obeyed the Emperor and killed the Jedi without a second thought.

This isn't a plot hole - in AotC the cloner aliens make a comment about how the clones have had "special modifications". I assumed back then, and still do, that it's a "Do what Palpatine tells you without fail" thing.
  • Lutz 19 May 2005 21:35:57 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    This isn't a plot hole - in AotC the cloner aliens make a comment about how the clones have had "special modifications". I assumed back then, and still do, that it's a "Do what Palpatine tells you without fail" thing.
    Ah... Hmm... I presumed they'd been genetically, mental and/or physically enhanced over the orignal Jango Fett blueprint.
  • cubbymoore 19 May 2005 21:41:28 36,478 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There were too many stupid bits in it to be a good film. Everyone in the cinema laughed all the way through the "serious" parts. Extreme case of direlogue (Yoda, come on, that was extremely poor writing). Poor direction of the actors. Bad acting to the nth degree.

Very disappointed, I am.
  • Lutz 19 May 2005 21:44:46 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    There were too many stupid bits in it to be a good film. Everyone in the cinema laughed all the way through the "serious" parts.
    Poor choice in audience then perhaps? Couple of laughs here (yoda walking in and flooring the crimson guard without even moving for a start)
  • cubbymoore 19 May 2005 21:48:47 36,478 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How do you mean poor choice in audience? I was laughing too. It was a bad film.
  • pac666 19 May 2005 21:49:43 200 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bloody good entertainment, but Anakin went to the dark side a bit easy. One minute it was no way next int was ok then master.
  • pac666 19 May 2005 21:49:54 200 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Lutz 19 May 2005 21:51:14 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    How do you mean poor choice in audience? I was laughing too. It was a bad film.
    Cos the only times people laughed, 2 IIRC, were funny bits.

pac666: Yeah... sort of. It was always a struggle with him... It wasn't his fall, it was how fast it was... From bidding his master good luck to slaying children.

IMO he should have fell nearer to the beginning of the film, and then slid down gradually, before finally sucumbing wholly.
  • lost_soul 19 May 2005 22:04:04 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    His fall began in the last film, when he went and killed the sand people
  • MikeD 19 May 2005 22:05:56 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Grievous gets explained in the general grievous comic book miniseries! (and undoubtedly books yet to be released)

A friend of mine who disliked the new trilogy very much and als thought General grievous was a completely preposterous character (having seen the game movies I have to agree. Does he really cough stupidly in the film?) got part 1 of the 4 part miniseries from me for his birthday.

How I laughed when he unwrapped it, haha!

Read it myself too, it wasn't very good.
  • cubbymoore 19 May 2005 22:07:23 36,478 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grievous is a non-entity until he starts wielding 4 lightsabers, even then it was hardly nail-biting stuff.
  • Daryoon 19 May 2005 22:10:24 4,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anakin started down The Path ages ago. All it took was Palpatine saying "Hey, did you know the Dark Side can help you stop people from dying?" to get him down on one knee. He was desperate, and had never gotten on with the Jedi - here was a man he trusted as a father offering him the power they denied him...

Can't see how that's considered "turning too easily"
  • MikeD 19 May 2005 22:11:45 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But doesn't he say to Obi-wan that he is the closest he has to a father? Or is this one of the game-only videos?

(haven't seen the film yet. heard almost all the spoilers)
  • Daryoon 19 May 2005 22:18:25 4,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was fairly obvious in AotC that Anakin looks up to Palpatine as much as he does Obi-wan, with the difference being that Palps doesn't put him down or berate him. Obi-wan chastises him, Palps tells him he's going to be more powerful than Yoda, and when you're a arrogant teenager, who would you prefer?
  • Lutz 19 May 2005 22:32:05 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Akeldama wrote:
    I've just got back from it. Feel a bit shellshocked by it. Powerful stuff for a PG.

I loved it. Yes some bits were clunky, but still I really liked it a lot.

I'll probably have more to say when I've chilled out a bit.
    Sounds about the same as me TBH.

Although it's a 12A. ;)
  • Lutz 19 May 2005 22:33:47 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Akeldama wrote:I even warmed to Anakin in this movie, I felt sympathy for him. Vader is a tragedy, a poor misguided tragedy, and I think that will change the original Trilogy for me - in positive ways, as I will watch it with new eyes.
    Again, same here. If anything I think this will make the original trilogy that little bit better.

I also left the cinema wanting more... a rare occurance for me.
  • Lutz 19 May 2005 22:36:18 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Also, anyone else find it funny that Mace Windu died by being chucked out of a window?
    Whilst an interesting part of the film, I thought that would have been slightly better. I did like the fact that Mace was so powerful he almost overcame Palpatines lightning, and forced palps to use his own life force to maintain his defences. (That was my interpretation of it anyway, with respect to the aging)
  • cubbymoore 19 May 2005 22:37:47 36,478 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NOOOOOOOOOO!

zoom out
  • Trowel 19 May 2005 22:40:25 17,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was good to see Lucas finally get a grip on the characters and the actors seemed to have finally accepted them also. Dialogue between Anakin and Padame is as bad as ever, but overall a vast improvement on I and II. Great film, good concluding fight. And nice play off between the birth of the twins and the birth of Vader (though I could have written the scene on the back of a beer mat).

BUT, it would have been nice for George to go easy on the CGI-destuction-into-your-face moments (6? 7 time?). And I'm firmly in the camp of finding Anakin's deference to Palpatine rushed; and I'd thought his change of character in II when slaying the Sandpeople was excellent.

ALSO I might have missed something here (which I'm sure someone can correct me on), but if the Jedi are trying to hide the twins from the Empire, why would they send Luke off to stay with Owen? Not direct family sure, but bloody hell, if I were Anakin then Tatooine would certainly be on my list of places to have a quick look at.

AND I can't be the only one who walked out of the cinema shaking my head (and my fists in the air) at the Rocky-esque ending. All together now: "Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!" (Mendoza!!!!!)

Edit: cubby also felt the Force in that one!!

Edited by Trowel at 22:41:29 19-05-2005
  • Daryoon 19 May 2005 22:42:56 4,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vader's "Nooooo!" is no worse than Luke's reaction to his father revaltion, to be honest...

"That's not true! That's IMPOSSIBLE!"
  • Daryoon 19 May 2005 22:45:18 4,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anakain hates Tatooine. It's the last place he'd ever want to go back to.

Re: his turn (again). Mace Windu's about the kill the only man he thinks can stop the woman he loves from dying. Anakin makes an on-the-spot decision - and once he's crossed that line, that's it. He pretty much killed one of the top Jedi - no way he can do anything BUT give himself over to Palpatine...
  • Trowel 19 May 2005 22:45:23 17,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wasp wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    if I were Anakin then Tatooine would certainly be on my list of places to have a quick look at.

But Sidious told him he'd killed Padme.

Still don't get it sorry. They were left with almost no-one to trust, but there just happens to be a guy in a galaxy far far away who they hung out with for a few days and Darth Vader wouldn't see if Obi Wan had contacted him since?
  • Khanivor 19 May 2005 22:49:13 40,492 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    R2's early work was like the three stooges. Very funny some of it, especialy trying to hide the comlink, but I felt a little jarred by the amount of it.

Still, it was probably needed at the start, as there' bugger all in the way of light relief after the start is over.

the four of us who went last night all felt drained after leaving the cinema. I found it a bit overwhelming. Now I know its not a daring, or dare say, great piece of cinema, but as I felt such an affinity with the universe all the events that transpired were a lot to take in and deal with. thiis film is going to demand repeated viewing more then any of the other prequels.

The final decimation of Vader was excellent, frigging gruesome stuff. Although, to be frank, I'm a little bemused as to why Darth didn't kill the emperor almost immediatly upon his ressurection. If he's meant to go and grow in strength, and can have the emperor when he's an old dude, surely the rage he must have felt over the results of Palpatine's manipulation would have given him enough power to kill the cunt.

And can anyone tell me wqhat the fuck Lucas was smoking when he decided to have Renton hold a CGI baby in his arms and then a real one for a shot two feet closer in? Looked psih. As did the CGI underneath that bloke from Shortland Street when clone troopers took their helmets off. Would it have really killed ya, George, to build one friggin suit? You could even put a bloom effect on it post-production to make it blend in with all the CGI troops.

Good film though, cracking story and does a good job of prepping us for the TV shows.
  • Daryoon 19 May 2005 22:49:34 4,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Balance to the Force....

2 Sith, Thousands of Jedi.

Anakin was always meant to wipe out the Jedi. If he'd wiped out the sith, there wouldn't have been any balance - it would have all been one-sided! Instead he wipes out both sides, and we're left with Luke. In the end, the Jedi were just as bad as the Sith really...
  • Trowel 19 May 2005 22:49:49 17,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I see that he's currently at the stage where he thinks the twins (or baby as he knew it) were killed also. So I guess it might conceivably (in a world with Jar-Jar) take him another 20 years to gain enough power to be able to sense that his child still existed.

Maybe.
  • Daryoon 19 May 2005 22:51:55 4,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think he killed the Emperor for a simple reason - the Emperor was all he had left, until he finds Luke some 20 years later.
  • Trowel 19 May 2005 22:56:41 17,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Akeldama wrote:
    He wants Luke to grow up, to take his father's place, to be the apprentice Vader couldn't be after Obi-Wan had finished with him.

Edited by Akeldama at 22:49:57 19-05-2005

Would have thought that if he wanted that he'd want to raise the child himself.

Shame, I reckon the Emperor would make a great dad.

No mum, but Darth could always pump?
  • morriss 19 May 2005 23:07:16 70,915 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've tried not read this as I'm seeing it tomorrow, but just to let you know, the Times gave it one star!! - harsh.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous