Sonic Mania - SEGA's latest 2D Sonic game Page 5

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• FuzzyDucky 6 Aug 2017 16:30:24 2,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fact is, closest we have to a classic d-pad of yesteryear is the Dualshock 4, with the Switch being the furthest from it.

I know which pad I'd prefer to play this on.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 6 Aug 2017 16:38:55 6,331 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I've replayed the old Sonic games on both my PS2, 360 and PC, using analogue pads for the latter two. It works fine; can't say I felt at a disadvantage using them. As much as I love the games, they hardly require the precision or twitch reflexes that some platformers demand.
    To be fair Sonic is probably the wrong game to be arguing about this over, just about any control method will be fine for holding right for a few minutes and pressing A.
  • Psiloc 6 Aug 2017 16:57:37 3,954 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can get used to anything, but analogue sticks are categorically the wrong input method for playing a game with digital movement. Clues in the name really.
  • Duffking 6 Aug 2017 16:58:42 14,405 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I've replayed the old Sonic games on both my PS2, 360 and PC, using analogue pads for the latter two. It works fine; can't say I felt at a disadvantage using them. As much as I love the games, they hardly require the precision or twitch reflexes that some platformers demand.
    To be fair Sonic is probably the wrong game to be arguing about this over, just about any control method will be fine for holding right for a few minutes and pressing A.
    This looks like it's going to play like Sonic 1/2/CD though, rather than the ones after so there probably won't be that much uninterrupted holding right.
  • MH-RobJenx 6 Aug 2017 19:20:40 1,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looking forward to this but I can't shake the feeling it looks like a fan made game (which it basically is) rather than an official release.

Christian Whitehead is obviously immensely talented and I love the ports he has done and the love he shows for that era of sonic, but I think it's time to move on.

They've never made a great sonic game since that era, and I'm not one for looking back. Look at Mario games for contrast. Constantly adapting.

Also looks very sonic cd which, despite everyone loving it, I didn't really get on with that well back in the day.

I'd love a proper 2.5d sonic with a proper budget behind it. Shame they spunk all the cash on awful 'cool' 3d sonic games with stupid sidekicks and elements nobody wanted or asked for.

Sonic 4 was shit to be fair, but it was a step in the right direction imo, if poorly executed.

Basically I don't want a mega drive era sonic, I have those. I want a new game which isn't aids.

Edited by MH-RobJenx at 19:34:03 06-08-2017
  • disusedgenius 6 Aug 2017 19:39:12 8,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We had that, it was called Sonic Generations.
  • H1ggyLTD 6 Aug 2017 19:40:22 6,919 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sonic Team only deliver AIDS.

And not the good AIDS.

And you say Mario is constantly evolving, but it peaked in the same era Sonic did...
  • ecu 6 Aug 2017 19:56:13 79,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    ecu wrote:
    It's not that far removed from 2D games on arcade cabinets that used a stick. In fact for many games, the stick is closer to being authentic than a dpad.
    That makes no sense in this case though, since when did you learn to play and spend the most time with classic Sonic on an arcade cabinet instead of a Megadrive pad?
    Yeah I know, I'm just saying that using a stick for 2D games works just fine. Dpad is preferable of course, but the Switch doesn't have a proper dpad, I don't think you'd be hindered in the slightest using the stick for this game. I used the analog stick for the 2D levels in Sonic Generations and it was never a problem. Mania is different so maybe we'll have to wait and see, but I think the stick will be fine.
  • MH-RobJenx 6 Aug 2017 19:58:45 1,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    We had that, it was called Sonic Generations.
    No, that's halfway house crap. The only decent stab they've had is sonic 4.

The 2d levels in generations weren't bad either
  • MH-RobJenx 6 Aug 2017 19:59:42 1,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    And you say Mario is constantly evolving, but it peaked in the same era Sonic did...
    That's not true at all.
  • Ror 6 Aug 2017 20:09:52 15,736 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Not true, the Puyo Pop games are ace :)
  • superbob85 6 Aug 2017 20:43:50 7,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If it's anything close to generations I'll be happy. Gaming needs a return to form for sonic.
  • DangerousDave_87 6 Aug 2017 20:46:45 2,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    MH-RobJenx wrote:
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    That's not true at all.
    The series peaked with Super Mario Bros 2, in my opinion. However, if I had to pick between Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, or Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D World, i'd pick the latter.
  • H1ggyLTD 6 Aug 2017 20:59:54 6,919 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was lucky enough to play Generations in 3D projected by a very expensive HD projector.

Was quite the experience.
  • drhickman1983 6 Aug 2017 21:07:44 4,802 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I rather liked Generations, even a good portion of the 3D levels. Generations biggest problem was the awful boss fights.

Can't say I enjoyed 4 that much, episode one didn't feel complete, though episode 2 was decent.
  • MH-RobJenx 6 Aug 2017 21:15:19 1,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    MH-RobJenx wrote:
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    That's not true at all.
    The series peaked with Super Mario Bros 2, in my opinion. However, if I had to pick between Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, or Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D World, i'd pick the latter.
    It's still consistently good and they have evolved well with new formats and audiences, which was my point. Quality didn't nosedive after 16 but era. Don't really care what anyones objective peak of the mario series is, it wasn't my point.

Also, mario 2? Really?!
  • DangerousDave_87 6 Aug 2017 21:29:42 2,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah. And it's not even a true Mario game. I thought chucking crap around was far more appealing than any of the power ups they introduced in any of the following games.

Cat Mario was petty good, though!
  • FuzzyDucky 6 Aug 2017 21:30:15 2,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:

And not the good AIDS.

Mario Galaxy wasn't released in 1992...
  • Zerobob 6 Aug 2017 23:37:31 1,899 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sonic Utopia represents the direction I think Sonic games should go. Classic Sonic games always seem to encourage the player to go fast, yet punish the player in the same breath for doing so by placing some spikes at the end of a fast flowing section of the level, or similar. Not to mention the things you miss by completing any Sonic level at speed. Because of this, the original games seemed to be constantly at odds with themselves: Is the goal to go fast, or to explore?

Sonic Utopia seems to offer ideas to solve this fundamental issue. The open-world structure encourages exploration, yet the exploration can be done at speed. Not only that, but you could design the world so that certain key areas can only be accessed by using Sonic's momentum and speed, giving Sonic's speed a major purpose, whilst adding a physics-based puzzle element to the levels... "How can I use that ramp and that ramp to get up there to reach that thing?"

Edited by Zerobob at 23:38:22 06-08-2017
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Aug 2017 15:01:25 6,919 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sonic 2 - am i gonna be able to get all the emeralds with Tails doing my head in, or should i start again without him?
  • MH-RobJenx 8 Aug 2017 15:04:51 1,871 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You should be able to get them fine. I think you can get super sonic by the 4th or 5th stage if you find all the posts. It's pretty easy.
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2017 15:19:20 8,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Classic Sonic games always seem to encourage the player to go fast, yet punish the player in the same breath for doing so by placing some spikes at the end of a fast flowing section of the level, or similar.
    That seems like saying that racing games encourage you to go fast, but put corners in their tracks.

Edit: Utopia does look pretty good, though.

Edited by disusedgenius at 15:23:34 08-08-2017
  • Duffking 8 Aug 2017 15:27:43 14,405 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @disusedgenius yeah going fast was a reward for platforming well and learning the levels. That's why things like Sonic Rush were boring as fuck for me.
  • SomaticSense 8 Aug 2017 16:47:26 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Sonic Utopia represents the direction I think Sonic games should go. Classic Sonic games always seem to encourage the player to go fast, yet punish the player in the same breath for doing so by placing some spikes at the end of a fast flowing section of the level, or similar.
    No they don't.

You argue that they "encourage" the player to go fast, but then offer evidence of the designers actively discouraging it. In fact there are very few moments in the old games where it becomes about the speed, even within Chemical Plant Zone, the poster boy of screen lag.

It's less the games being at odds with themselves, and more that certain players have developed warped expectations of what the games were supposed to be, whether that's Sega's PR, modern Sonic's obsession with rollercoaster design, or 'Gotta go fast' memes. They were quicker games than most 2D platformers of the time, but they weren't endless runners.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Aug 2017 17:41:24 2,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Sonic was always about precision and flew, for me. I've never tried rushing those games. I like to collect as many rings as possible and look flashy whilst I do it. I liked carrying momentum from rolling and bouncing off a number of enemies without touching the floor. That kind of nonsense.

If I had so everything as fast as possible, I'd probably die a lot and hate the games all the more for it.
  • Ryze 8 Aug 2017 17:51:19 3,559 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Fact is, closest we have to a classic d-pad of yesteryear is the Dualshock 4, with the Switch being the furthest from it.

I know which pad I'd prefer to play this on.
    Not yet read the previous pages' messages leading up to this, but isn't the Xbox One cross D-pad any good these days?

I just bought one of the 360 pads with the convertible D-Pad. Remember those silver premium ones with the proper cross d-pad?

I'm going with the Steam version, so I reckon I'm sorted with that. 1080p upscale or whatever it runs at.

Can't wait.
  • H1ggyLTD 8 Aug 2017 17:52:46 6,919 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's FuzzyDucky.

He's 4 the players.
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2017 18:01:07 8,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I missed that comment on the Dualshock controller - that D-pad is still shit. The last one I saw that looked worthy to inherit the JP Saturn pad crown was those Street Fighter pads for the 360.

Saying that, the Elite one looks like it has potential.
  • JiveHound 8 Aug 2017 18:04:45 8,143 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sonic Rush on the DS was decent if I remember correctly. Everyone else seems to have forgotten it exists though so now I'm wondering if I made it up.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 8 Aug 2017 18:42:42 1,029 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was decent for a sonic game if that's what you mean
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.