Stranger Things Page 12

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• Load_2.0 14 Nov 2017 21:29:40 25,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Max's brothers mullet gave me Lost Boys vibes. Like a cross between Kiefer and Jason Patric.

Steve is my favourite character close second was Bob was and yes Mikes mum is hawt.

Season 1 was far better and there were some low points but still thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Lukus 14 Nov 2017 21:36:02 20,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve and Dustin hanging out was by far my favourite part of season 2.

I thought some of the editing was a little off in places, it didn't hang together very well and the pacing felt a little inconsistent. And I agree that the punks were shit.

Still pretty fun overall, just not as original as season 1, obviously.
  • Darren 27 Nov 2017 13:34:54 9,500 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just binged watched Stranger Things 2 yesterday after deciding to watch just a couple of episodes a day then finding it so engrossing that I had to watch it in its entirety! I thought it was terrific, arguably better than the original despite the fact that Eleven was separated from Mike, Dustin and the rest of the kids for most of the season.

One thing I didn't get though was what the purpose to those things in the tunnels were. When Hopper went down and was "spored" I thought that he was infected but nothing came of it. After that everyone went down wearing masks. So what was the stuff that was being sprayed out? It didn't seem to have any ill-effects beyond the initial shock of being sprayed. Did I miss something?

Loved the ending at the Snow Ball too which was a satisfying way to wrap up the series, which for me has superb characters, a fantastic 80s score (not just the 80s pop songs but the synth-driven music in the style of John Carpenter etc was just so, so good IMO) and great writing. I even liked the speckles of dirt on the credits to give the impression of actually watching something from the 80s.
  • SYS64738 27 Nov 2017 13:38:53 4,857 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say it was on par with the first season (i.e. just as excellent), with the exception of episode 7. Involuntarily did a lot of eye rolling at the hipster punks.

About the "sporing", I thought it was just to immobilise the victim so that it could be tied up by those tentacle bits?
  • GarlVinland 27 Nov 2017 13:40:09 2,300 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The music and aesthetic is the best thing about the show for me.

The guys who did the soundtrack, SURVIVE, contributed music to the movie The Guest too, which has a very similar 80's style and synthy soundtrack.
  • Addy_B 27 Nov 2017 13:49:22 2,077 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I finished this off on Saturday (Season 2). I really enjoyed it. Definitely on a par with season 1 for me. The last two episodes were great :)
  • SYS64738 27 Nov 2017 13:51:31 4,857 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the music, the setting but also the characters made it for me. Effortless acting on all parts really (well, Ryder was a bit too full on at times, entertaining though).

The script could've been about them going about their daily lives with nothing out of the ordinary happening, and I would've enjoyed it all the same.
  • spindle9988 27 Nov 2017 14:16:07 4,610 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is just a great show. Nostalgia helps for us older lot on here but the show is good enough even without it.
  • Salaman 27 Nov 2017 15:06:58 22,867 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Without wanting to sound like a Game of Thrones 'teleporting' complainer. When 11 decided to leave her new group of friends behind in the middle of a police raid I did think to myself: "There's no way she'd be able to bus it back from a State over to save her friends"
    Which she then did of course. :/

Enjoyed it but slightly less than season 1.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Nov 2017 08:11:54 20,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ModoX wrote:

On Winona, she can be grating, especially in S1, but then I think people love her now because she actually takes her son seriously and especially in S2 comes across as one of the more pragmatic characters who actually gets shit done.
    Agree with this and my god, Winona Ryder is seriously lovely.

I enjoyed it as much as Series 1, Steve and Dustin was great, Hopper and 11 were great. I didn’t realise that was LOTR Sam, he was fantastic.
    I also enjoyed the OTTness of Max’ brother.
    The quality of the acting really elevates it, I can’t wait for ST3.
    Moar Episodes please.
  • Pierre2k 28 Nov 2017 08:36:31 897 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Loved season 2. Felt it was a little slower than season 1 to get going, but once it did, I was hooked. Loved the ending Snow Ball and the bromance between Steve and Dustin was great. Was welling up at Dustin being rejected before Nancy stepped in.

I can't be the only person that watched the whole series hoping someone would say to that head scientist guy:

"Bad call? These people are dead, Burke! Don't you have any idea what you've done here? Well, I'm gonna make sure that they nail you right to the wall for this! You're not gonna sleaze your way out of this one! Right to the wall!"
  • Pierre2k 28 Nov 2017 09:09:00 897 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just thinking about the "punks" episode...

I didn't hate it, but it did seem completely random and pointless. You're introduced to then in episode one, don't hear about them again for ages, and you're left thinking it's really going to build up to something that never really materialised. You could easily edit those scenes out and lose nothing from the series.

Only thing I can think of is that play more of a part in an inevitable season 3.
  • LittleSparra 28 Nov 2017 10:35:07 7,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They played their part in S2, it was just weakly handled.

Edited by LittleSparra at 10:35:16 28-11-2017
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Nov 2017 11:07:02 20,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, my heart was breaking for Dustin and then Nancy went up massively in my estimation.
    I actually said "fuck you, bitches" out loud to the snooty girls who rejected him :)

I usually can't abide cheesy endings but loved this one, it was so well done. Really caring about the characters makes all the difference.
  • Salaman 28 Nov 2017 11:58:26 22,867 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In the first two "beyond Stranger Things" episodes, they talk about the last scene and the kisses. Hilarious. These kids are 10-12 years old, so it was their first kiss. On camera, with lots of extras around cheering them on.

I'd have been mortified.

Mike mumbles "i'm coming in" under his breath before he kisses 11.
    :-D
  • JoelStinty 28 Nov 2017 12:09:34 5,901 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah i enjoyed S2, finished it last week. I thought the first half of the season was stronger than the second , but still liked it a lot. As mentioned above, the whole thing comes together so well and i could easily watch the boys being boys without the added drama of the upside down. It basically Donnie Darko'd the ET/Spielberg formula and its great.

As for those spores, i reckon S3 will revolve around Hopper and Dustin being 'infected' in some way. I kind of hope it moves away from Will being the one in trouble, and perhaps even being the coo;/interesing character.
  • Darren 28 Nov 2017 12:40:31 9,500 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Yeah, my heart was breaking for Dustin and then Nancy went up massively in my estimation.
    That was a lovely scene IMO and is what made the ending so satisfying without being cliched (Dustin suddenly getting a girlfriend out of the blue for example).

I did find the character of Mad Max(ine) a bit pointless though. She seemed to be introduced for no other reason than to fill the female character void left by Eleven. She was pretty much wasted really and contributed little to the season other than a high score in Dig Dug! It's not that I disliked her but both she and her irritating step-brother did feel a bit redundant to the storyline. And it was never clear at the end if Eleven actually acknowledged Max as a friend of the group as their last scene together basically had Eleven ignore her completely.

Still an outstanding series though. I wonder where they can take it if they go to a third season? Season 2 ended pretty much perfectly as a series finale really.

Edited by Darren at 12:40:51 28-11-2017
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Nov 2017 13:11:41 20,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    That was a lovely scene IMO and is what made the ending so satisfying without being cliched (Dustin suddenly getting a girlfriend out of the blue for example).

I did find the character of Mad Max(ine) a bit pointless though. She seemed to be introduced for no other reason than to fill the female character void left by Eleven. She was pretty much wasted really and contributed little to the season other than a high score in Dig Dug! It's not that I disliked her but both she and her irritating step-brother did feel a bit redundant to the storyline. And it was never clear at the end if Eleven actually acknowledged Max as a friend of the group as their last scene together basically had Eleven ignore her completely.

Still an outstanding series though. I wonder where they can take it if they go to a third season? Season 2 ended pretty much perfectly as a series finale really.
    There's at least 2 more years coming.
  • cowell 6 Dec 2017 09:14:07 1,376 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just watched episode 7 of series 2. What the fuck was that all about...
  • kentmonkey 6 Dec 2017 09:49:01 22,369 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @cowell that was all about piloting season 3 I think.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2017 09:51:06 26,609 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    God I hope not.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 6 Dec 2017 09:53:07 1,377 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    It was apparently a pilot for a spin off series. The spin off series is not going to happen (apparently) because of the negative feedback for that episode.
  • cowell 6 Dec 2017 10:01:10 1,376 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Certainly felt like something separate and exploitable left dangling for revisitation in either a future series or a spin off as you guys say. It was pretty jarring. It's only redeeming quality was Eleven herself realising she should go home and concentrate on the main story
  • superdelphinus 6 Dec 2017 10:08:06 9,523 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the step brother was there to replace the jock guy (Steve?) as the bad(ish) human. I reckon he might be more evil or important in some way in the next season. I think max was there for disruption to the group dynamics, I thought her character worked well personally.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Dec 2017 10:09:08 20,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The step brother was awesome, I loved his just a bit OTT acting.
  • superdelphinus 6 Dec 2017 10:12:16 9,523 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He was classic 80s teen baddy. All good
  • Salaman 6 Dec 2017 10:15:59 22,867 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I think the step brother was there to replace the jock guy (Steve?) as the bad(ish) human. I reckon he might be more evil or important in some way in the next season. I think max was there for disruption to the group dynamics, I thought her character worked well personally.
    The Duff brothers in 'Beyond stranger things' confirmed this. Season 1 Steven started off as a sort of villain character but he grew on them, so they gave him this turning point where he evolves.

For season 2, they didn't want to have just 'the smoke monster/mind flayer' as a looming other dimension villain. They also wanted a real human bad guy, so they brought in Max and her brother.

It's a bit underdeveloped. I didn't think he added that much. The actor was a power ranger once upon a time apparently
  • cowell 8 Dec 2017 10:54:49 1,376 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished season 2. Was very good but didn't hit the heights of season 1. Let's gloss over episode 7 though eh?

Just hoping they conclude this show when its still good rather than milking it until its dry
  • Tonka 8 Dec 2017 11:06:52 26,609 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    He was classic 80s teen baddy. All good
    First couple of episodes I thought Max and her step brother would turn out to be some werewolf pack. A bit like Sleepwalkers if anyone seen it.

I was a bit disappointed when it all fell back on the upside down monsters.

That said, Steve is kick ass and I love how they are allowing him to be that. The scenes with him and Dustin were awesome. Nancy made the wrong choice when she picked the bumbling hobo instead of Steve.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.