Stranger Things Page 2

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• JiveHound 17 Jul 2016 01:05:41 8,987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Love the soundtrack and I'm preferring it to that other homage Super 8. About 4 episodes in and it's really grabbed me.

Wondering whether the title means that other series will focus on other stories in other time periods.
  • mangojoe 17 Jul 2016 08:57:13 1,563 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    2 episodes in and liking the nostalgic 80s feel. Nothing amazing yet so hopefully picks up.
  • wobbly_Bob 17 Jul 2016 16:32:32 4,264 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished ot off today. Fantastic stuff. I'm really curious where they take it next. Wondering about the other world. Surely there's more than one of those things and a whole eco system? Great stuff, bring on season 2!
  • mangojoe 17 Jul 2016 19:08:45 1,563 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Done 6 episodes today and finished it off too. Was great.

I'm glad I haven't got the parents of Toothless or the black kid though.

Edited by mangojoe at 20:15:14 17-07-2016
  • JiveHound 17 Jul 2016 22:04:44 8,987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    https://youtu.be/5FFRoYhTJQQ
  • nickthegun 17 Jul 2016 22:29:38 72,033 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All hail netflix, saviours of 4K. It looks so good.
  • MrSensible 18 Jul 2016 08:42:02 26,523 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm only two episodes in but within the first half an hour of episode one I was already hooked. Great stuff, perfect for me.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 18 Jul 2016 08:47:21 9,904 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    2 episodes in. It's ok. It's relying a little too heavily on nostalgia and referencing (some of which is super nerdy which I have to admit I love). The main issue I'm having is because it's relying so heavily on tropes all the characters are a bit cliched, which is also making them a bit one-dimensional and I'm not really invested in any of them.

It's watchable though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Jul 2016 09:02:33 38,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What kal said, although I am a tad more positive. But yeah, nostalgia is the driving factor.

Winona Ryder is a bit over-acting though.
  • Dgzter 18 Jul 2016 09:18:28 1,571 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Meh, certainly not my reading of it: I felt they did a very good job of setting up some typical literary character tropes and then subverting those same archetypes as the narrative progresses across the eight episodes.

In particular, I thought the four kids were extremely well-cast and their dialogue interactions certainly elicited my investment early on. I also thought Nancy and Jonathan's characters really came into their own in the second half of the series.

All of this sprinkled with a very pleasant dose of 80s nostalgia, much in the vein of Super 8 etc.

I thought it was really well done, anyway. Opinions, eh? :)
  • wobbly_Bob 18 Jul 2016 09:35:03 4,264 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As i said, I think it's great. The only very small criticisms of it are that the tone is pretty bleak and dour throughout. I feel there could be some moments of light and definitely some dabs of humour now and then. I also agree with the poster who said winona ryder was over acting. She was chewing up the scenery like a giant termite at a log convention.
  • MrSensible 18 Jul 2016 09:36:51 26,523 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    In particular, I thought the four kids were extremely well-cast and their dialogue interactions certainly elicited my investment early on.
    They're actually good actors, which is astonishing. I don't hate them, which is more than I can say for children in most shows/movies.
  • robthehermit 18 Jul 2016 11:33:24 6,210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Watched all 8 of these on Saturday, great stuff. Season 2 would be most welcome. Sunday was even more lazy, with the complete second season of Better Call Saul :)
  • Deleted user 18 July 2016 11:38:23
    Winona Ryder is by far the worst thing in this. I'm not too fussed with all the references, after all movies of that time were littered with them as it was. Referencing the reference's references?
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Jul 2016 11:41:51 5,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Overall I think it's decent and agree that Quinoa Ryder isn't great.

Was she always a bit shit or is it a a more recent thing?
  • MrSensible 18 Jul 2016 11:42:42 26,523 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Guess I'm in the minority for loving ol' Winona :(

Unless she goes downhill after episode two like, I'm not exactly far in.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 18 Jul 2016 11:44:14 9,904 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not necessarily saying the references are bad. I enjoy all that stuff and it's well done. Some of the shots that are literally straight out of Carpenter are brilliant. I just think it has a consequence of creating cookie cutter characters a bit.

Not sure how any of them have been "subverted" (wrong word, but anyway). Perhaps this becomes more the case as we go through. Again, I'm only two episodes in but as yet they are as cliched as it gets.
  • Oh-Bollox 18 Jul 2016 11:46:35 6,514 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Six episodes in. Really enjoying it, like It without the shite adult parts. Only real criticism of the kids is their line delivery is too declamatory.
  • -HairyArse 18 Jul 2016 11:54:10 1,018 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The younger kids are great but the teenagers are really fucking annoying. Saw this written elsewhere but fuck me if that Steve character doesn't have a face you just want to punch over and over. Maybe it's just the hair.

The soundtrack and opening credits are really great.
  • Dgzter 18 Jul 2016 13:31:34 1,571 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Not sure how any of them have been "subverted" (wrong word, but anyway). Perhaps this becomes more the case as we go through. Again, I'm only two episodes in but as yet they are as cliched as it gets.
    Sorry to be a pedant here Kal, but it's not the wrong word. In fact, its a very common term in literary and critical theory: application here is purely to stress that some of the characters, which you've pointed out are standard literary tropes, are later undermined, and call into question the very archetypes/stereotypes they are ostensibly meant to represent.

I get where you're coming from though, and I don't want to fucking over-intellectualize this: certainly not suggesting it does anything particularly groundbreaking, or even that worthy of note. I just liked the way particularly Nancy and Jonathan's characters came out in the end.

Hey ho.
  • urban 18 Jul 2016 14:01:12 12,991 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    8 episodes? Lovely, that'll help with the offshore boredom for at least 4 days.
  • sirtacos 18 Jul 2016 15:48:44 8,014 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is fucking fantastic.

The Goonies + ET + The Thing + Alien = whatever glorious monstrosity this is.

Seeing Wynona Ryder play a frazzled single mother just aged me instantly by a decade, though. Everyone and eveything we love is going to die.

That soundtrack though... 😱👍🏻👌

Edited by sirtacos at 16:22:11 18-07-2016
  • You-can-call-me-kal 18 Jul 2016 16:02:48 9,904 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    Sorry to be a pedant here Kal, but it's not the wrong word. In fact, its a very common term in literary and critical theory: application here is purely to stress that some of the characters, which you've pointed out are standard literary tropes, are later undermined, and call into question the very archetypes/stereotypes they are ostensibly meant to represent.

I get where you're coming from though, and I don't want to fucking over-intellectualize this: certainly not suggesting it does anything particularly groundbreaking, or even that worthy of note. I just liked the way particularly Nancy and Jonathan's characters came out in the end.

Hey ho.
    Sorry, but it is absolutely the wrong word. Subversion or making something subversive very specifically means doing something with the intention of undermining or overthrowing an authoritative body. Yes, it's used in critical theory when discussing people that do this in their work, such as Chekov or Dostoyevsky or someone.

I see it used on the internet (and quite frequently on here) in the way you mean, but it not correct. It is a misunderstanding of what the word means. You can throw the word "undermine" in there to try and make it sound like you're using it correctly but you are absolutely not.

Also as I said, I haven't seen past the first two episodes so I might be wrong about what later happens with these characters. Thanks for slightly spoilering that is the case.
  • Dgzter 18 Jul 2016 16:28:49 1,571 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, but it is absolutely the wrong word. Subversion or making something subversive very specifically means doing something with the intention of undermining or overthrowing an authoritative body. Yes, it's used in critical theory when discussing people that do this in their work, such as Chekov or Dostoyevsky or someone.

I see it used on the internet (and quite frequently on here) in the way you mean, but it not correct. It is a misunderstanding of what the word means. You can throw the word "undermine" in there to try and make it sound like you're using it correctly but you are absolutely not.
    Wow, clearly hit a nerve there. Thanks for the personalized attack.

I can assure you that the notion of subverting character archetypes is a very common subject in critical and literary theory. It is a topic that comes up quite frequently with our first-year undergraduates in their tutorial groups - and not exclusively in relation to the major works in the western canon.

I presume you also work in academia? I've genuinely never come across anyone argue about the validity of using this phrase, but it seems you certainly have, so I'd be interested to know to which critics you are referring.

Over the years I've genuinely quite enjoyed reading your opinions on these forums Kal. Yes, you can be somewhat emotional in your responses, but you always seemed a reasonable chap. But I was being completely civil when I simply disagreed with your opinion earlier, and your response was to try to patronise me by suggesting I used a specific word wrong (and now following that up with the implication that I've misconceived the very idea by exposure to the internet), which quite frankly is a dick move.

Whatever. I at least hope you enjoy the rest of the show; apologies if in discussing this I've spoilered anything for people. Certainly wasn't my intention; I'll give it a wide berth from now.

Edited by Dgzter at 16:29:47 18-07-2016
  • You-can-call-me-kal 18 Jul 2016 16:40:12 9,904 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aw give over...

The incorrect use of the word is a pet peeve of mine. It is a word that has shifted meaning because it sounds like it might mean something similar to "invert" and now it effectively does mean that, but it is wrong. You won't find that meaning in the dictionary. The closest you'll find is that it can mean undermining a principle. but not in the sense you suggest, but more in the moral/ethical sense of the word.

It really doesn't matter. Wasn't trying to make a big deal. To me it did feel like it was kinda you that got all patronising and personal if anything but it's all very boring and off topic and wevs etc.
  • MrSensible 18 Jul 2016 16:46:44 26,523 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So... how about the '80s, huh?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Jul 2016 16:46:45 11,378 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So just to subvert things slightly, is this better than that shitty Super 8 that everyone was moist over?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 18 Jul 2016 16:48:02 9,904 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    So just to subvert things slightly, is this better than that shitty Super 8 that everyone was moist over?
    Two episodes in I would say it gets pretty much all the same things both right and wrong. I do need to watch more of it though.
  • GuiltySpark 18 Jul 2016 16:52:17 6,747 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Much better than Super 8.
  • Dgzter 18 Jul 2016 16:52:31 1,571 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    :) I actually quite liked Super 8. Has a similar sort of feel, yeah.

Kal and I's tete a tete has probably made it sound a bit shit, but I did like it. Worth a watch a least.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.