Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    What's the fishing story?
    Poles fishing without a permit or what?
    Eating the fish rather than throwing it back. I don't think it's a Polish issue, but they all get lumped in together.
    Ok, this is in Angling only areas.

Is that really a widespread problem?
    I had no idea...
    I've had it pointed out to me at the reservoirs near Barrhead. It's not a stocked loch or anything. It's pike they eat, which must be good for the other fish, as they are predators. Fair play to them, but they were leaving a bit of a mess. And empty Polish lager cans which was a bit incriminating. If they just switched to Tennants, no one would notice :)
    Ah ok, the locals are fine with buckie bottles smashed in every park but go mental at some Polish beer cans....
    Is it OK to be annoyed at both? Just want to check in case I get labelled.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2018 16:28:23 21,289 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    What's the fishing story?
    Poles fishing without a permit or what?
    Eating the fish rather than throwing it back. I don't think it's a Polish issue, but they all get lumped in together.
    Ok, this is in Angling only areas.

Is that really a widespread problem?
    I had no idea...
    I've had it pointed out to me at the reservoirs near Barrhead. It's not a stocked loch or anything. It's pike they eat, which must be good for the other fish, as they are predators. Fair play to them, but they were leaving a bit of a mess. And empty Polish lager cans which was a bit incriminating. If they just switched to Tennants, no one would notice :)
    Ah ok, the locals are fine with buckie bottles smashed in every park but go mental at some Polish beer cans....
    Is it OK to be annoyed at both? Just want to check in case I get labelled.
    Of course :)
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2018 16:29:09 21,289 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You wishy-washy-on-the-fence-please-everyone-coward
  • Salaman 13 Feb 2018 16:29:23 22,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The EU should issue some laws forbidding anglers from eating the fish they catch. The whole UK would be up in arms about it!
  • brokenkey 13 Feb 2018 16:41:29 9,398 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    The EU should issue some laws forbidding anglers from eating the fish they catch. The whole UK would be up in arms about it!
    To go with the laws they passed saying don't catch fish you can't eat?
  • oceanmotion 13 Feb 2018 16:57:13 17,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When Boris, May, Davis etc. do their speeches to outline the true UK Brexit soon, will the charade end and we get to see the true clusterfuck unfold? It can't go on much longer surely, businesses will get their clarity and if recent comments are anything to go by, they are going to go elsewhere, Ireland find out what is in the sandwich and people get to see what an early access Brexit looks like, then everyone goes fuck that, cancel it now! Yeah?
  • JamboWayOh 13 Feb 2018 17:03:15 5,337 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm no Mystic Meg but something tells me the speech will contain phrases such as "securing the best deal for Britain" , " I want a deal, an ambitious deal" and "No deal is better than a bad deal". Anything but actually saying specifically what we want.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2018 17:10:01 21,289 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    When Boris, May, Davis etc. do their speeches to outline the true UK Brexit soon, will the charade end and we get to see the true clusterfuck unfold? It can't go on much longer surely, businesses will get their clarity and if recent comments are anything to go by, they are going to go elsewhere, Ireland find out what is in the sandwich and people get to see what an early access Brexit looks like, then everyone goes fuck that, cancel it now! Yeah?
    Nope, the speeches will be full of "take back control" crap that the great unwashed will love.
  • reviewer 13 Feb 2018 17:17:39 4,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    2old4disshit wrote:
    reviewer wrote:
    How should they attempt to hire English people? Put on their advert you have to speak English without a foreign accent?

How do the foreign people hear about the jobs that somehow makes it really hard for English people to apply and get the job?
    The jobs are advertised abroad or done through an agency mate.
    Sure, every one of the thousands of farms in the UK exclusively advertises overseas and not one has signs up or adverts in local papers or at universities etc.

Mate.

Edited by reviewer at 17:18:07 13-02-2018
  • oceanmotion 13 Feb 2018 17:17:53 17,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Why not take the out, send the economy off the rails and pull us back from the brink. Say what you want, the economy, people react then the narrative can change to stop Brexit, it's obviously bad. Kicking the can down the road is going to make it so much worse. I don't want to hear, well it seemed alright before we left so how I was I suppose to know it was a bad idea.
  • DamoVotf 14 Feb 2018 12:01:38 1,270 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So what did Boris say to make us all feel better? Did he get the NHS 350m a week?
  • Blurp 14 Feb 2018 12:04:37 1,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Something along the lines of;

- SOUND BITE CONTROL
    - hey brexit voting fuckwits, stop being nasty to the sane remainers
    - global trade! we'll replace all trade deals with global trade (coming 2035)
  • 2old4disshit 14 Feb 2018 12:29:36 511 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    reviewer wrote:
    2old4disshit wrote:
    reviewer wrote:
    How should they attempt to hire English people? Put on their advert you have to speak English without a foreign accent?

How do the foreign people hear about the jobs that somehow makes it really hard for English people to apply and get the job?
    The jobs are advertised abroad or done through an agency mate.
    Sure, every one of the thousands of farms in the UK exclusively advertises overseas and not one has signs up or adverts in local papers or at universities etc.

Mate.
    I didnt say 'every one' of them. Just admit defeat gracefully.
  • Jono62 14 Feb 2018 12:55:09 19,063 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apologies for The Express link but this is nuts

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/918687/Brexit-news-EU-UK-latest-deal-vote-European-Union-vote-Boris-Johnson
  • DamoVotf 14 Feb 2018 13:01:44 1,270 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They basically doing an article on Bill down the pub? Or did I miss something.

Edited by DamoVotf at 13:02:03 14-02-2018
  • FilthyAnimal 14 Feb 2018 13:02:32 291 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Why would you post a link from that Nazi rag?
  • DukeSilver 14 Feb 2018 13:03:43 2,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    “Who won the war? We did.” Said some twat.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2018 13:07:02 5,337 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Apologies for The Express link but this is nuts

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/918687/Brexit-news-EU-UK-latest-deal-vote-European-Union-vote-Boris-Johnson
    That seriously can't be real. Loved the person who said "we've had two world wars with Europe, we don't need them".
  • quadfather 14 Feb 2018 13:12:36 30,411 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't read the comments for fucks sake
  • RichDC 14 Feb 2018 13:12:40 7,643 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Brexiter
    He added: “I’m all for Brexit myself. We have had two world wars with Europe. So I mean, you know, who needs them?”

Got to be piss take surely.

Hasn't it? :(
  • macmurphy 14 Feb 2018 13:19:41 2,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It read like a Daily Mash article. Which is curious in a pro-Brexit paper.

I love to think some remained staffer just went postal and the editor somehow didn’t see the irony.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2018 13:24:10 5,337 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The language is curious in that article. You have 'Britons' who are leavers and 'Remainers' who aren't anything. Also "all remainers are upper class"? I forgot that Rees Mogg and BoJo started their careers at Ford Dagenham.
  • Zomoniac 14 Feb 2018 13:28:17 9,549 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JamboWayOh "all remainers are upper class" doesn't mean all upper class people are remainers.

Not that it makes it any less absurd.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2018 13:32:06 5,337 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zomoniac

I think with the type of thinking displayed on that article you could correctly assume they literally mean all upper class people are remainers. I don't think you should give them the benefit of nuance.
  • Zomoniac 14 Feb 2018 13:34:17 9,549 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JamboWayOh A reasonable assumption.
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Feb 2018 13:35:34 5,787 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @2old4disshit

What are your thoughts on Jacob Rees Mogg?
  • DaM 14 Feb 2018 13:36:15 16,973 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    @JamboWayOh "all remainers are upper class" doesn't mean all upper class people are remainers.

Absurd is the word that sums up the whole situation. I never realised how easy it would for tabloids and populist politicians to create this mindset among people. It makes historical situations like the rise of the Nazis in Germany more understandable, it could happen anywhere.
  • FilthyAnimal 14 Feb 2018 13:45:02 291 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    That's because most of the working class read tabloids and believe what they read in them. That's why a Leave vote was so popular among the working classes.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that the working classes are automatically stupid. I'm saying that most people who are wilfully dumb or ignorant tend to be working class as a result of their stupidity, and that obviously feeds into these attitudes about Brexit. Unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth, it's unlikely that you can be successful without being wise to the world.

Part of the problem is that we have loads of uneducated people who suddenly believe that they know everything about the world because they have Facebook. They believe that they are part of some mythical uprising of the common man when in fact they're being played like a violin by the UK establishment (among them media barons like Desmond and Murdoch as well as privately-educated elites such as Rees-Mogg and Johnson), so that they can consolidate their political influence.

I grew up working class and so many of the people I grew up with - including my family - are working class, and trying to point out facts to them is like talking to a fucking brick wall. I usually dread going back to the UK now, and after the nightmare that was December when I went over there, I probably won't bother going back again. I'm done with Britain. In fact, if it wasn't so expensive to renounce my British citizenship, I'd probably have done it by now.

Edited by FilthyAnimal at 13:47:41 14-02-2018
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2018 13:46:12 5,337 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:

Absurd is the word that sums up the whole situation. I never realised how easy it would for tabloids and populist politicians to create this mindset among people. It makes historical situations like the rise of the Nazis in Germany more understandable, it could happen anywhere.
    I agree. Take America for example, I'm not saying it's a Nazi stronghold but the similarities are there with the current thinking displayed by the administration in power. However America believes itself to be the good guy unequivocally, and because Nazis are viewed to be an evil that borders in cartoonish realm they will always refuse to admit the connection. The scary thing is that WW2 Germany didn't perceive itself to be the bad guy either, it was looking out for Germans first, making Germany great again, protecting itself. The world has learnt absolutely fucking zilch it seems.
  • senso-ji 14 Feb 2018 13:55:59 8,205 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great time to be leaving!
  • Page

of 875 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.