Registered 11 years ago
  • JamboWayOh 12 Sep 2017 17:36:10 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Edgy parody account ahoy!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2017 01:18:11 4,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The anger at Skinner is maybe a bit overblown since anyone who pays attention knows where old Labour types are on this issue. But a) it's still a let down to see the left endorse something so shitty and b) it's quite funny seeing how far backwards newer younger more liberal converts will bend to defend the awful opinions of relics they've decide are heroes
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 13 Sep 2017 08:40:54 47,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bye bye democracy. Bye bye parliamentary sovereignty

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-withdrawal-bill-passes-theresa-may-power-grab-parliament-a7943696.html
  • sport 13 Sep 2017 08:59:16 13,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "The real battle for parliamentary sovereignty starts now" - Jezza
  • thelzdking 13 Sep 2017 09:02:36 6,363 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The public won't care because it's too complicated for them to understand.
  • General_Martok 13 Sep 2017 11:43:42 301 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Bit like the EU.

However the dumbfucks voted to leave that cause they didn't understand it and feared it.

Will they demand an exit from democracy?
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 11:44:03 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Shush! Will you be quiet I'm trying to watch Strictly here!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2017 11:46:24 4,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    sport wrote:
    "The real battle for parliamentary sovereignty starts now" - Jezza
    He'd have been leading Skinner, Campbell and friends through the Aye lobby if he wasn't weighed down by party unity
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2017 11:47:34 4,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Every local paper vox pop since the vote:
    "i don't understand why we haven't left yet"
  • Jono62 13 Sep 2017 11:54:19 18,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want sofrenty innit. Get on wiv it. Da ppl hav spkn.

What happened to English Gentleman?
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 11:59:15 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Every local paper vox pop since the vote:
    "i don't understand why we haven't left yet"
    Every average person now :

'' you see I told you everything would be fine if we left, the world hasn't fallen in yet. ''
  • DocDawg 13 Sep 2017 12:00:46 159 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tuesday’s iPhone X launch event brought familiar news to British viewers: the Brexit-induced devaluation of the pound means that everything is really, really expensive.

Every product announced by Apple onstage has the same price in pounds and dollars, from the cheapest Apple TV – £149 or $149 – to the most expensive iPhone X, a grand more at $1,149 or £1,149.
  • Psychotext 13 Sep 2017 13:11:12 62,038 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A leave supporter explaining why the no-deal is better than a bad deal argument is complete and utter bollocks (apologies, tweet storm).

1/ So the Treasury is supposedly planning for a no deal Brexit. As a Leaver, this is terrifying. The WTO option is, bluntly, suicide.

2/ Several things happen when we leave eschewing negotiations with the EU. Firstly, we rely on GATT/WTO rules for facilitating trade.

3/ This has a profound impact upon our tariff arrangements with the EU, which currently are non-existent.

4/ Upon leaving the EU and becoming a 'third country', the EU is LEGALLY OBLIGED to impose on us the same tariffs it does other WTO members.

5/ Note that when I say 'other WTO members' I refer to those with whom the EU does not have Free Trade Agreements.

6/ At the heart of the WTO framework is a principle called Most Favoured Nation (MFN). It means members can't discriminate.

7/ If they do onto one they must do uniformly. A tariff here for one country means a tariff here for every other country.

8/ There are certain exemptions to this rule, such as if a member is a CU or has FTAs with members, and slightly different rules apply.

9/ This is how the EU has been able to negotiate preferential tariff schedules over many years. It remains influential and powerful.

10/ So, the EU applies to the UK new tariff schedules, which are inferior to those provided by membership. Prices at home are spiked.

11/ If the U.K. decides to retaliate, then it would need to do so to all other WTO members, as per MFN equal treatment rules.

12/ This is why Patrick Minford says: 'let's go to unilateral free trade'. But this doesn't even begin to fix things.

13/ A good way to spot a fraud or an amateur in Brexit/trade debate is to look for those who talk about trade purely in terms of tariffs.

14/ Tariffs are an issue, but a small one. The real economic minefield that lies behind the WTO door is a web of non-tariff barriers.

15/ Tariffs have indeed come down globally, but this drainage has exposed the magnitude of NTB issues we are left to deal with.

16/ As an EU member the UK enjoys a harmonised system of regulation. The benefit of this is the removal of technical barriers to trade.

17/ Outside of the EU, conformity (or regulatory convergence) is not enough to smooth trade flow. We need to prove we conform to standards.

18/ This is where customs cooperation comes in (which has nothing whatsoever to do with the Customs Union).

19/ Where there exists large amounts of trade between two trading partners (like EU+China), MRAs or equivalents built into FTAs are useful.

20/ MRAs are Mutual Recognition Agreements. MRAs promote trade facilitation by helping to assess conformity to standards.

21/ By eschewing EU negotiations, we will have to rely on WTO mechanisms, such as the TBT and SPS Agreements. This will be arduous.

22/ Unlike the EEA, these provisions aren't effective. No country trades with the EU solely using such terms. There is a reason for this.

23/ There will be clashes at external borders, whereby UK/EU will not be able to assess whether standards have been complied with.

24/ This will cause chaos. We will see delays at shipping ports, lorry queues on motorways stretching miles, wasted/devalued cargo etc.

25/ This may sound minor, but take the perspective of an exporter, or even a consumer expecting a product, and you realise it isn't.

26/ NTBs are more important than tariffs because their externalities cause far more profound (and often unseen) economic problems.

27/ Goods will not reach their destinations. Some may make it but scraping their sell-by or use-by dates. In other words: pandemonium.

28/ This is just a brief picture I am painting. There is a lot I don't know. I am trying to learn in time to warn enough people against it.

29/ So when Nigel Farage speaks of the WTO option by comparing possible EU tariffs with our budgetary contributions, this is LAUGHABLE.

30/ The problem extends far beyond tariffs, which will themselves be painful. The WTO option would be self-harm on an unimaginable scale.
    https://twitter.com/OliverNorgrove/status/907687683128004608
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 13:16:01 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dude needs to get a fucking blog.
  • brokenkey 13 Sep 2017 13:17:51 9,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    These points were all known, and made by Remain before the referendum. He says as much - the problem was that they weren't believed.

"I am trying to learn in time to warn enough people against it." 18 months late, mate.
  • chopsen 13 Sep 2017 13:21:33 19,941 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Part of the problem with leave voters is that the don't represent a homogeneous viewpoint apart from thinking we should leave the EU. What comes after that and what our relationship with the EU and the world is a glaring unknown that people had and some still project their own utopian ideals on to.

The problem is that a lot of these views are contradictory.

So some people are not only still open to the idea of a "no deal" brexit, but actively want it. Other people who support leave aren't.

Whatever happens, more people are going to pissed off than happy with the outcome, and it will a shitshow either way.

Edited by chopsen at 13:22:09 13-09-2017
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 13:23:04 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought we'd already left?
  • nickthegun 13 Sep 2017 13:39:07 71,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    So some people are not only still open to the idea of a "no deal" brexit, but actively want it.
    A lot of people dont understand any potential consequence of no-deal other than the fact that they dont want to feel they got fucked by the germans.
  • Psychotext 13 Sep 2017 13:56:09 62,038 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That seems to be it for a lot of people.

"Fuck em, we'll just walk away. See what they do then!"
  • Jono62 13 Sep 2017 14:19:35 18,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some leave voters didn't or don't care about all that WTO stuff. They have this blinkered viewpoint of the glorious empire of yesteryear, thinking it will happen again.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2017 14:28:04 4,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Someone I used to work with had "done their research" and decided we were better off before we went in so we'll be better off out again

I mean even ignoring the fact that everything in the world is totally different now compared to 40 years ago

Who the fuck looks back on the golden days of the post war era? Ooh, rationing and slum housing
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Sep 2017 14:35:46 5,248 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, my Dad was all, "and the price of everything shot up straight after we joined"

I hope he's appreciating the irony.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 15:06:07 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Someone I used to work with had "done their research" and decided we were better off before we went in so we'll be better off out again

I mean even ignoring the fact that everything in the world is totally different now compared to 40 years ago

Who the fuck looks back on the golden days of the post war era? Ooh, rationing and slum housing
    I'm guessing their 'research' seemed to have missed the 'sick man of Europe' label that Britain used to have?
  • General_Martok 13 Sep 2017 15:16:14 301 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    So some people are not only still open to the idea of a "no deal" brexit, but actively want it.
    A lot of people dont understand any potential consequence of no-deal other than the fact that they dont want to feel they got fucked by the germans.
    I hope they all get fucked over. They deserve it.
  • LetsGoAGAIN 13 Sep 2017 18:07:49 442 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Spent much of today watching the EU debate, pleased the left wing french MEP is calling for a African "development pact".

Won't hold my breath tho as it's been promised for years and years....
  • TheSaint 13 Sep 2017 18:11:05 17,405 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/cute-bunnies-25__605.jpg
  • Technoishmatt 13 Sep 2017 18:25:30 2,087 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @LetsGoAGAIN what do you want it to do that is not currently done.
  • Page

of 821 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.