Xbox One X Page 3

• Page

of 88 First / Last

• Thorbz 26 May 2016 19:50:53 105 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get with the times lads. The future of gaming is here.

The 10 year console cycle is a thing of the past. Suck it up and buy the new shit or pack in gaming.
    I've never thought for a second that either Microsoft or Sony are really gaming companies, despite what they tell us and themselves. I've owned two consoles from both companies, but they pretty much left me cold. If Nintendo don't re-discover their mojo, I'm quite happy to carry on with the occasional PC free-form-ish game, as time is tight and not really worth spunking on the jump-through-the-hoops shite Sony and Microsoft are offering.
  • D_Mantis 26 May 2016 19:53:56 483 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's the VR thing. It's just a perfect excuse to sell a 'new' console.
  • Technoishmatt 26 May 2016 20:32:26 1,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    cheese101 wrote:

The 10 year console cycle is a thing of the past. Suck it up and buy the new shit or pack in gaming.
    More bollocks. E.g. NES came out in 1983, so by your logic we've had just over three generations of console. Whereas we've had three just from Microsoft.

I'll make this point again, Original Xbox to Xbox 360 was 3.5 years.

2013-2017 would be an entirely reasonable and historically appropriate lifetime for a console, notwithstanding the fact the goal here would be that all games would work on both.
  • H1ggyLTD 26 May 2016 20:36:43 7,496 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thorbz wrote:

I've never thought for a second that either Microsoft or Sony are really gaming companies, despite what they tell us and themselves. I've owned two consoles from both companies, but they pretty much left me cold. If Nintendo don't re-discover their mojo, I'm quite happy to carry on with the occasional PC free-form-ish game, as time is tight and not really worth spunking on the jump-through-the-hoops shite Sony and Microsoft are offering.
    Nintendo are a card company.
  • Thorbz 26 May 2016 20:44:01 105 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nintendo are a card company.
    Yeah, but they're really nice cards:).

And the games they've made haven't been bad compared to what their 'rivals' have produced.
  • Technoishmatt 26 May 2016 20:45:08 1,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can we have a no nintendo hipsters rule in this thread?
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 20:46:20
    cheese101 wrote:

You know the old consoles won't magically implode when the new ones come out, right? Shit, if I had to, I could happily play away with my SNES.

I don't really like the idea, but I assume that these mid-gen upgrades are exactly that, mid-gen. It's therefore reasonable to assume that there'll be a proper PS5 (or whatever they're gonna call it) along in another 3 years. I'll happily upgrade in 2020.

Or, as pointed out on the previous page, I may very well just pack it in as there's fuck all games actually worth bothering with and new hardware isn't going to change that.
  • Thorbz 26 May 2016 20:48:42 105 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not a Nintendo hipster, otherwise I wouldn't have spent good money on MS/Sony stuff.

They just don't float my boat, but YMMV.
  • hillbilly66 26 May 2016 21:01:56 3,150 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nintendo are worse tbh. I bought a Wii U off the back of the open world Zelda vids. They give less of a shit about honouring commitments because not enough people bought one.
  • JiveHound 26 May 2016 21:06:03 8,786 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BetterCallPaul

Fuck all games worth bothering with?

Sounds like you're just apathetic. Plenty of great games everywhere.
  • Technoishmatt 26 May 2016 21:07:34 1,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @JiveHound yeah, he didn't like Doom. nuff said :)
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 21:32:44
    @JiveHound I think at this point in the PS3's lifecycle I owned four or five times as many games.

There's more games on the Wii U that are worth sinking time into compared to the PS4.
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 21:33:39
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Yeah I'm going to hell for that one :p
  • JiveHound 26 May 2016 21:39:02 8,786 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BetterCallPaul wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Yeah I'm going to hell for that one :p
    Or not it seems.

Edited by JiveHound at 21:39:20 26-05-2016
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 22:10:38
    With the obvious near future of streaming / cloud gaming, these 0.5 consoles all feel a bit like you'd be buying a DVD / BluRay player - the content delivery system and need for hardware to run it is pretty much going obsolete
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 22:17:35
    How many people here have an active sub for any cloud gaming services?...

I'd agree if you're talking about video content, but it's just not taking off for games and I can't see it picking up the kind of traction that something like Netflix has any time soon.
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 22:21:40
    It's fine to disagree, but if the lifespan of a console is at least five years, I expect Azure to be a huge game changer for MS
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 22:37:26
    Let's agree to disagree, then...

I bet you pronounce it "ahjur"
  • seasidebaz 26 May 2016 22:37:36 7,478 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    It's fine to disagree, but if the lifespan of a console is at least five years, I expect Azure to be a huge game changer for MS
    It has been for me for web hosting and scalable database services so yeah
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 22:42:21
    Not denying Azure is ace at what it does, but I can't really see it shaking up the console world. Apart from a handful of MS published titles like Crackdown, you're hardly going to see anybody bothering to make full use of it.
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 22:43:34
    Okay then, cuntface
  • Deleted user 26 May 2016 22:53:24
    xxx
  • seasidebaz 26 May 2016 23:36:58 7,478 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree with that - it should never have been a selling point for Xbox games. After all, any 3rd party can use azure for a similar purpose for ps4 games if they wanted - so I don't get the angle from a gaming perspective.
  • -Amelia 27 May 2016 00:01:47 3,164 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oooh so Edge magazine always had an image on the inside if the back page to hint what next month's feature is.

This month it is a box with an x in it and the date....new Xbox reveal!!

:)
  • Derblington 27 May 2016 06:30:38 29,206 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well if the current reports are accurate it'll be for the slim at E3, and maybe news of the Scorpio for next year (but as print has a lead time and MSFT weren't intending to talk about that it's less likely).

Edited by Derblington at 06:31:24 27-05-2016
  • DUFFMAN5 27 May 2016 06:43:08 21,803 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I might buy a slim with a bigger hd. Ideally I'm wanting a reveal of a ltd Gears4 console, that will defo be bought.

I don't see any real negative to the news about MS/Sony wanting to "up" their consoles. I will never be a pcgamer as I just can't be arsed or lack any real know-how of games running on a pc.

I am looking forward to E3, last year was great especially for Xbox, which is where my Gaming heart belongs!

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 06:43:53 27-05-2016
  • Armoured_Bear 27 May 2016 07:23:31 20,366 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    hillbilly66 wrote:
    Nintendo are worse tbh. I bought a Wii U off the back of the open world Zelda vids. They give less of a shit about honouring commitments because not enough people bought one.
    What commitment are they not honouring ?
  • -Amelia 27 May 2016 07:37:08 3,164 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So Microsoft announce new upgraded console with a £, Sony surely then announce theirs at a lower price ? Just like the one/4 announcements.
  • dai_bonehead 27 May 2016 07:42:09 401 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    dai_bonehead wrote:
    This could be the last console gen for me. I can't be bothered with incremental upgrades every few years. Too confusing for most and too bloody expensive to keep up with from both a consumer and developer perspective.

I like a locked down envelope that developers can learn to get the best out of. If you keep having a shifting target in terms of systems specifications then some developers won't be able resist feature/technical improvements to hit the next hardware release, surely?
    So what you going to get then?
    GTFO, probably.
  • Derblington 27 May 2016 07:46:01 29,206 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kichi wrote:
    So Microsoft announce new upgraded console with a £, Sony surely then announce theirs at a lower price ? Just like the one/4 announcements.
    No.
    The reports are that they will announce the new slim with price for this year, and that they're working on an actual upgrade for late next year. MSFT weren't ready for the upgrade and have basically been caught on the back foot from the advanced timeline of Sony (versus when MSFT thought they would announce/release).

Whereas Sony are announcing the upgrade, with price, for late this year.
  • Page

of 88 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.